Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Big League Chew

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread

2 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

The "coronavirus flex" is some next level shtick. 

This reminds me to bump some of your #justaflubro posts from late January / early february.

Added to my #todo list if things get slow later this week :lol: 

1 minute ago, fred_1_15301 said:

The weather being nice isn’t helping matters.  Just went to a trail to go for a run and there are a million people out.   Definitely no social distancing going on.  I quickly left but not a good sign that everyone wants to be out in the nice weather

4th of July is gonna be awesome ...when half the people are blowing fireworks at each other from their yards

3 minutes ago, msommer said:

Median number for symptoms after exposure is five days. How are you feeling?

Context:

- Every spring I get a mild-to-moderate chest cold.....with nasal drip and a cough.  (too much info)   

- My son had strep two weeks ago; he was home with strep + an unexplained fever for 8 days pre-quarantine; my wife and I both had mild fevers + fatigue a week before our son got sick (so basically 3-4 weeks ago now)

Current situation:

- For about 4-5 days, I've been starting to my usual "spring symptoms"; didn't know if it was CV or something more major, so when those symptoms popped up late Saturday, my quarantine went into full effect

- Cough is still very mild; other symptoms are manageable with OTC medication

- BFF and fiancee both have meaningful fatigue; he hasn't told me what temperature his fiancee has been measured at yet

- Trying to find humor in the whole thing, everyone jokes that she looks part Asian (even though she isn't) and it really pisses her off.  So he and I make a lot of jokes about how he's going to marry an Asian woman.   When he called a little while ago to tell me they were getting tested for CV, my first response was "holy ****, hope you are both ok!"   My second response was "tell her that I knew I was going to get CV from an Asian woman."   Thankfully he laughed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, [icon] said:

This reminds me to bump some of your #justaflubro posts from late January / early february.

Remind me:

Did I make fun of you for planning to go to your Pearl Jam shows in full blown PPE? 

• Laughing 1

6 minutes ago, lod001 said:

So has anyone really been confirmed to have this and be walking around with little to no symptoms? Like being monitored to see if it just goes away?

I am not sure about this for China and South Korea. I assume China found some number of asymptomatic carriers by testing apparently healthy people who shared households with sick COVID patients.

Still, in the West we have some high-profile asymptomatic (?) COVID carriers that are being monitored: Tom Hanks & Rita Wilson, several NBA players, Idris Elba, some European soccer players, etc. The athletes have generally said they are asymptomatic. Idris Elba said the same a few days ago. Not sure about Hanks & Wilson, but I would think if they were in bad shape it would make news.

2 minutes ago, [icon] said:

pretty much the first 20 pages were half filled with flubro

31 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

My city just shut down all non-essential offices until April 6.  This includes my town's only (municipal) liquor store.  Dangerous days ahead.

One of the few things CA does right is let grocery stores sell booze, thank goodness.

• Like 2

Wife and I are driving back to the Bay Area from Palm Springs tomorrow and want to take advantage of possible spots on the way home to stock up on groceries/supplies? Anyone familiar with areas on this route that may be best to try? I think we’re going to maybe try stores in Fresno and Bakersfield. 

3 minutes ago, Big League Chew said:

pretty much the first 20 pages were half filled with flubro

A coworker late last week literally spouted "It's no worse than the flu" followed by "you're more likely to die walking around in Chicago". He said this on a conference call with about 12 of us on it. He lives in Tampa. 

• Thinking 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Why isn’t the US producing tests?  Why are we outsourcing this?  It boggles my mind. We can’t reverse engineer one of these?  Are we so bogged down in red tape, patents, who gets the contract, money money money, that we can’t/won’t produce tests.  Ridiculous. 

There may be no manufacturing facilities geared up to do it.

14 minutes ago, shader said:

Merkel calling the coronavirus Germany’s greatest challenge since WWII just seems a bit odd.  I mean she’s probably right, but that’s not really a comparison I’d make if I were.....Germany

She probably didn't say that lightly... which is telling.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

Remind me:

Did I make fun of you for planning to go to your Pearl Jam shows in full blown PPE? 

just took a look

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/profile/9979-jerseytoughguys/content/page/8/?all_activity=1

I did not. Missed opportunity I guess!

40 minutes ago, tri-man 47 said:

Now hop into Facebook and see if ads pop up for ventilators.

I got a BOGO offer.

• Laughing 1

7 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

Wife and I are driving back to the Bay Area from Palm Springs tomorrow and want to take advantage of possible spots on the way home to stock up on groceries/supplies? Anyone familiar with areas on this route that may be best to try? I think we’re going to maybe try stores in Fresno and Bakersfield. 

I’d try some of the smaller towns surrounding Bakersfield: Wasco, Delano. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Just went to a trail to go for a run and there are a million people out.   Definitely no social distancing going on.  

If this behavior continues then it’s probably only a matter of days before Trump orders a national quarantine/freeze in place. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

My BFF here in IL just got tested for CV today.  He and his fiancée both might have been exposed.   Will know in 24 hours - if they have it, solid chance I’m exposed......since we all had a meal together on Sat afternoon....

I hope the testing is negative and you're in the clear.

At the same time, and again not to pile on you, but for others here to realize, this is exactly why even these small get togethers, dinners, getting drinks with a couple people, etc. needs to just stop.  Is that one get-together worth the exposure?  Even the worry of the exposure now?  These numbers and stories are going to keep increasing.  You have no idea what others are doing and how they might be getting exposed. 

Just. Stop. Hanging. Out. With. People.       Please.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Cool, feel free to block me as well :thumbup:

Dude. Was just going with this comment, and especially the bolded, with a bit of the italicized

I never said you haven’t provided good info. You’ve done that tons of times in here and I’ve thanked you for it. But your post to fill your tank up with the bvfwih shtick was ridiculous. Both things can be true. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, gianmarco said:

this a million times

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, [icon] said:

I don't blame anyone that started out that way...

A significant number of people first came into this thread with flu comparisons, because that's what a lot of the media and some especially noteworthy politicians were telling them.

The ones to be cognizant of here now are the ones that haven't changed their mind after having the education links and discussion available to them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

The weather being nice isn’t helping matters.  Just went to a trail to go for a run and there are a million people out.   Definitely no social distancing going on.  I quickly left but not a good sign that everyone wants to be out in the nice weather

Just anecdotal but yesterday was like the omega man during the day , today everyone was out and about. The charles river by where I work was crowded 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

BIG test for NYC coming on Friday ... we're supposed to hit the mid 70s

:unsure:

4 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

At the same time, and again not to pile on you, but for others here to realize, this is exactly why even these small get togethers, dinners, getting drinks with a couple people, etc. needs to just stop.  Is that one get-together worth the exposure?  Even the worry of the exposure now?  These numbers and stories are going to keep increasing.  You have no idea what others are doing and how they might be getting exposed. 

From your lips to the millenial and older generation's ears.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the moops said:

this a million times

With what's going on and everything at stake and the constant pleas all around to stay away from others, I simply can't wrap my head around the persistent need to socially interact with anyone that isn't absolutely necessary.

It sucks.  I get it.  We all have friends and it's fun to hang out.  There's nothing fun about any of this.  But this thinking of "well, it's just a couple hours for dinner and we'll stay 6 ft away" is so pervasive that it just boggles my mind. 

I wish there was a way to tie up these government checks that might be coming out with a GPS locator showing you staying in your house for all but essential travel outside.  Maybe then people will listen. 

We have have ubiquitous high speed internet with Netflix and Amazon and streaming services and gaming and Amazon to deliver stuff and people STILL can't just stay home.  It's so frustrating. 

/rant over.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Is it just me or is the Food Network airing Guy’s grocery games considered  cruel and unusual punishment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

11 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

not buying that argument.  there are countries around the world that are testing at a much higher rate than we are, they had facilities ready to go?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Agreed.  100%.   We thought our actions were very safe - 6+ foot distance, everyone using hand sanitizer non stop, eating individual food dishes and not sharing food, etc.   Odds are that it was "somewhat safe" - but the end of the day, we literally shut things down on Saturday night and haven't left the house since.   I wish we had made that decision a week earlier.  Or 3 days earlier.  

My reason for posting all this was a combo of a) my own therapy, b) as a warning to others.  This is real.  It is possible to get exposed anywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

45 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

My BFF here in IL just got tested for CV today.  He and his fiancée both might have been exposed.   Will know in 24 hours - if they have it, solid chance I’m exposed......since we all had a meal together on Sat afternoon....

24 hours?!?! Damn my test won’t be done for 3-4 days.

5 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

:goodposting:

And all you guys running out to get haircuts, you’re not only exposing yourself to your barber, you’re exposing yourself to every client he’s had for the past few days. 

P.S. Stop exposing yourself to your barber, pervs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Just anecdotal but yesterday was like the omega man during the day , today everyone was out and about. The charles river by where I work was crowded 

The Omega Man. :thumbup:

Does anyone know how long after infection it takes the virus to become systemic? I mean, if I were to, say, be exposed through my eye, how long would it be before a throat swab could detect it?

1 minute ago, DaVinci said:

:goodposting:

And all you guys running out to get haircuts, you’re not only exposing yourself to your barber, you’re exposing yourself to every client he’s had for the past few days. 

P.S. Stop exposing yourself to your barber, pervs.

the over riding need to get a haircut is dumb founding.  to be fair, i've cut my own hair, #1 guard all the way around, for 20 years.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Jobber said:

A coworker late last week literally spouted "It's no worse than the flu" followed by "you're more likely to die walking around in Chicago". He said this on a conference call with about 12 of us on it. He lives in Tampa. 

That is the issue with this virus and it's just adding to the uncertainty and splitting the nation even more.

Most of the people in this thread I feel are rationale.  And the one's the contribute most I believe are much much more concerned about the virus than the US populace as a whole.  I'd venture to say that everyone that follows this thread is more concerned than the average US citizen.  However, a large majority of this country still feels it's way overblown.  

At this point I'm not sure what to do.  Am I concerned about the virus?  I'm extremely concerned of the economic impact it is going to have on our country.  75-80% of this country cannot miss 1-2 paychecks without feeling a strain.  And most of this group will be the first effected.  A nationwide shut down will just exasperate this issue, imho.  

I definitely feel that social distancing and flattening the curve are things we can do that should work and keep the virus under control.  Still hopeful.  But you're not going convince everyone at all.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

This is why we need a national quarantine (or lockdown).

Edited by Random
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Memphis used to be one of the, if not the largest (?)  distribution hubs in the world. 

- FedEx Hub / Global World Headquarters. 

= Home of the 155th Airlift Squadron (one of the core arms of US Military Air Cargo )

For starters. :) 

reminds me of when i was dating a girl from memphis in college.  we were watching jeopardy and final jeopardy was something like "this city's airport is the largest volume cargo airport in the world, handling X million lbs (or parcels) per day"

gf: "memphis!"

ignorant 19 yo me: "ooh...i'm from memphis, so i'll guess my hometown"

alex: "memphis, tennessee"

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

3 hours ago, Doug B said:

I wish I could get Word-of-God for-sure advice on this. Most online sources (to include traditional news sites, not Twitter, Reddit, etc.) have reported to avoid ibuprofen (Advil, etc.). Many accounts of the French health minister saying this to the French masses.

Yet elsewhere, including in this thread, folks in the medical field said that the ibuprofen thing is probably untrue, and that taking ibuprofen is OK and does not increase one's risk of contracting COVID. Not sure what to believe :( 

And I know many scoff at this kind of stuff ... but there's similar confusion out there about elderberries and zinc. I know neither have rock-hard science behind them (cf. Vitamin C), but anecdotal evidence of their positive effects seem to be legion. At worst, a good placebo effect is worth something.

The World Health Organization recommended Tuesday that people suffering COVID-19 symptoms avoid taking ibuprofen, after French officials warned that anti-inflammatory drugs could worsen effects of the virus. https://www.yahoo.com/news/avoid-taking-ibuprofen-covid-19-symptoms-202007508.html

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, toshiba said:

24 hours?!?! Damn my test won’t be done for 3-4 days.

Yeah.  My friend has asthma, so I think they've fast tracked the test.  We also have a hospital nearby (Evanston/North Shore Hospital) that claims to have a test they can do relatively quickly......I'm not an expert so no idea if this is 100% true.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

:scared:

21 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:
30 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

Why isn’t the US producing tests?  Why are we outsourcing this?  It boggles my mind. We can’t reverse engineer one of these?  Are we so bogged down in red tape, patents, who gets the contract, money money money, that we can’t/won’t produce tests.  Ridiculous. 

Which makes the decision to turn down test kits from WHO even more asinine

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DA RAIDERS said:

not buying that argument.  there are countries around the world that are testing at a much higher rate than we are, they had facilities ready to go?  

It's an interesting question... I suspect they may have actually had a national plan in place for the possibility of a pandemic.

3 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

I passed on golf today at my club. 5 friends did though. 

I had originally thought I’d be able to golf during this because, hey...golf is a socially isolating sport.  This was last week.

I have NO desire to golf at all which is crazy for me...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

I passed on golf today at my club. 5 friends did though. 

Scheduled to play Friday.  We would be walking, not sharing a cart, but still thinking about cancelling.

5 minutes ago, Honus said:

Does anyone know how long after infection it takes the virus to become systemic? I mean, if I were to, say, be exposed through my eye, how long would it be before a throat swab could detect it?

Max of 9 days to become symptomatic according to the CEO of our company who has discussed it with the CDC.  I think people who have been exposed (myself included since 6 members of our school's community are confirmed positive) have been asked to self quarantine for 14-days.  Seems a little high based on the above.

13 minutes ago, Keerock said:

Is it just me or is the Food Network airing Guy’s grocery games considered  cruel and unusual punishment?

They need to change that to "Chopped" and I promise I'll never leave the house!

5 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Agreed.  100%.   We thought our actions were very safe - 6+ foot distance, everyone using hand sanitizer non stop, eating individual food dishes and not sharing food, etc.   Odds are that it was "somewhat safe" - but the end of the day, we literally shut things down on Saturday night and haven't left the house since.   I wish we had made that decision a week earlier.  Or 3 days earlier.  

My reason for posting all this was a combo of a) my own therapy, b) as a warning to others.  This is real.  It is possible to get exposed anywhere.

Saturday night seems to be right around when public sentiment "shifted".  Last week was nuts. Around Wednesday, we were just learning of the NBA/NCAA news. Seattle was just getting around to limiting gatherings of 500. Heck, Disney didn't close until Saturday. All of that was absolutely monumental, and everybody was just processing that. Saturday and Sunday, things took the next major leap to "Oh wow, we just shouldn't be around anybody if we don't absolutely need to be".

All that to say thank you for your post, and that carefully hanging out with some friends last Saturday was a perfectly reasonable thing to do.  

Crazy how fast this is all happening.

• Like 3

Just now, chet said:
9 minutes ago, Honus said:

Max of 9 days to become symptomatic according to the CEO of our company who has discussed it with the CDC.  I think people who have been exposed (myself included since 6 members of our school's community are confirmed positive) have been asked to self quarantine for 14-days.  Seems a little high based on the above.

Study out (linked earlier in this thread) says median number 5 days, 97.5% 11 days, 99% within 14 days

Guys, with this page moving so fast, please drop the flex and back and forth spat stuff.

There are lots of people that need to keep the signal high and not so much noise in this for now. 

Please.

Thanks. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NotSmart said:

It's an interesting question... I suspect they may have actually had a national plan in place for the possibility of a pandemic.

Maybe they didn't defund the leadership that studies and plans for pandemics...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

Sundress weather.  My favorite.  

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, fred_1_15301 said:

I have a large group of friends who were doing sunset hikes during the week - maybe 30-40 people were going together (which I wouldn’t join even without a virus issue).  They continued doing these through Monday, then canceled last night’s when finally someone recognized it might not be the greatest idea.  Just looked at FB and saw that six of the people decided to go anyway.  And this is in Seattle - sheesh.

• Sad 1