What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (18 Viewers)

There were signs all over the store in my town that said limit 2 per customer of any item. 

My hope is that the hoarders now have way more bread, milk, and TP than the ever could use in a lifetime, and will stay home for a while. 
It should have been this way for awhile.   I also don't know why, along with all these rules being passed down, that there weren't also rules enforced about having X number of people in the store, etc..    I haven't been shopping for a few days so maybe it's better, but I thought it was bonkers to have a bunch of people jammed in a store passing stuff to each other while they were loading up their carts too much.  

Maybe this was asked but I’m a bit unclear on something regarding the testing. 

Let’s say someone is tested and tests negative- so they think they have the all-clear. What’s to prevent them from contracting it the very next day and then what? 

You're right about that, and I'll probably not do that now that I've had a chance to think rationally. I just think the market may be headed someplace hellish and it seemed possible that getting out, waiting for a bottom, and then buying back in might be a way to staunch the bleeding. 
If you (or anyone you know) can reliably call market bottoms, please let me know. I’d like to hire you to my team.

Colombia is not doing anything. Don't know if there are cases there. My cousins posting pics dining in crowded places all week. They fly into Florida tonight. If they have a fever, they may be held in quarantine there before flying to CA.
I had friends fly back from Costa Rica yesterday. Not one single coronavirus question was asked of them. Not one

@Joe Bryant

Hate to even waste your time, but the laughing emoji by bucksoh to multiple posts that are serious or intense like this one I quoted is disturbing.

He's been doing it throughout this thread and it's been noted and mentioned a few times already as he's the only one doing it. As we all get more and more affected by this, this "trolling" is getting offensive. Not what this thread or place needs.
Agree, this why the ignore feature exists. The guy will post his smiles, but nobody will see them. He will be an audience of one.  That’s how to send him a message: everyone ignore him.  

Let’s say someone is tested and tests negative- so they think they have the all-clear. What’s to prevent them from contracting it the very next day and then what? 
Was talking to my wife and she said these tests are popping false negatives too?  And one thing China did was give people a scan even if they tested negative so they were sure? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothing. 

What are harsh measures in your opinion?  

Short of locking everyone in their home and maybe allowing one person to go get groceries once a week, it's not going to make a difference.
Mostly just responding that it appears to me shutting down everything except non-essentials makes sense.  That is going to really hurt people economically but so will overwhelming hospitals, deaths, etc.  At some point, people aren't going to conduct any business anyway if the healthcare system collapses and everyone is scared of getting sick. 

We don’t have enough information about COVID-19 to know for sure, but with other viruses you can’t get reinfected right away.    This one is probably the same.  The anecdotal stories about people getting reinfected are likely due to testing errors.

We don’t have enough information about COVID-19 to know for sure, but with other viruses you can’t get reinfected right away.    This one is probably the same.  The anecdotal stories about people getting reinfected are likely due to testing errors.
I don't think you guys are talking about the same thing...

If you (or anyone you know) can reliably call market bottoms, please let me know. I’d like to hire you to my team.
IMHO, there are still a lot of stockholders holding on to the "it's like the flu", the "death count is low", and the "we should just let it run and let a significant portion of the older population die" mindsets. In fact, I think the vast majority of people who are holding on to those mindsets do so because of their portfolios. And those mindsets dominated the New York City area, causing leadership there to act to slow. 

The market is no where near its bottom yet. Once those ridiculous mindsets are eradicated, then the market can be priced properly. 

Forget about ventilators - we're running out of masks. My hospital downgraded from N95 to surgical masks first, now they're telling us to reuse single-use masks. My friend in CO says his hospital is out of all PPE. Meanwhile, the CDC is saying you can use a bandana in a pinch.

We're very close to healthcare providers caring for patients dressed like bank robbers. When they get sick, there won't be enough people to operate the ventilators.

Thank you, hoarders.
@Terminalxylem Company converted to producing 10,000 masks a day for sale to hospitals.https://www.news-journalonline.com/business/20200320/coronavirus-crisis-spurs-ormond-firm-to-make-face-masks-as-shortage-grows

I found out that there's apparently a limit on how much bread you can buy at Publix, or at least the one I was at yesterday. Guy in front of me was buying bread for him and his daughter, she just ran out, he had I think 4 total, the cashier explained to him that bread was being "rationed(her word)." I think he had to give up 2 of them. Thank God I was just buying deodorant, that better never be rationed. I don't want to be around stinky people.
At the Sams where my daughter works, it has gone to one of everything max. She said people are just nasty and mean and she goes home crying. There is no reason why they haven’t gone to a self-scan of everything and taken cashiers out of the mix. Receipt checks at the door like they do now will catch the dishonest people. 

IMHO, there are still a lot of stockholders holding on to the "it's like the flu", the "death count is low", and the "we should just let it run and let a significant portion of the older population die" mindsets. In fact, I think the vast majority of people who are holding on to those mindsets do so because of their portfolios. And those mindsets dominated the New York City area, causing leadership there to act to slow. 

The market is no where near its bottom yet. Once those ridiculous mindsets are eradicated, then the market can be priced properly. 
I agree with this wholeheartedly...the way the market was/is priced is based on a world that no longer exists.  Don’t know what type of world that exists on the other side of this, but it will be very different.  The journey for the world and humanity has just begun and I suspect we’ll be on it for a good while.  I’d just assume sit on the sidelines financially.

Nothing

At the Sams where my daughter works, it has gone to one of everything max. She said people are just nasty and mean and she goes home crying. There is no reason why they haven’t gone to a self-scan of everything and taken cashiers out of the mix. Receipt checks at the door like they do now will catch the dishonest people. 
Are these really effective?  It seems they hardly look in the cart.  I could put 10 extra things in there and they wouldn't know it.  FWIW, I don't do this, but I feel I could easily get away with it if I were a dishonest person.

Forget about ventilators - we're running out of masks. My hospital downgraded from N95 to surgical masks first, now they're telling us to reuse single-use masks. My friend in CO says his hospital is out of all PPE. Meanwhile, the CDC is saying you can use a bandana in a pinch.

We're very close to healthcare providers caring for patients dressed like bank robbers. When they get sick, there won't be enough people to operate the ventilators.

Thank you, hoarders.
We are running out of masks as well. Also told to reuse our mask for the entire day unless you are right at the surgical field. Also running out of disinfectant wipes for the tables etc after surgery. They have rounded up all the wipes in the operating room and are going to be using them to wipe down the papr hoods to reuse. We’ve gone back to using basically soap and water to wipe things down. 

Thankfully I’m not having to interact with the healthcare professionals that are undoubtedly the heroes of this battle, but I do think these grocery/supply store and chain employees are unsung heroes in their own right.  They have to battle the panic of others in real time all while battling the attempt to curtail virus spread through enhanced cleaning and sanitation protocols AND worrying about their own family and self.  

It’s not much, but I’ve made it a point to say thank you to every employee I encounter when at the store.  They’re shouldering a large responsibility right now and they’re doing it in amazing fashion in my experience.

We are all entering a tunnel and need to move through it to get to the other side. We do not know how long the tunnel is or what we will find on the other side. We do know that some will not make it through with us. The best thing to do is help and take care of each other as we move forward through this dark and unknown place. Be well everyone!

That’s why the cdc guidelines now state you need two negative tests 24 hours apart. 

Our hospital is on lock down. Employees must go through a separate entrance with a locked badge entry door. Visitors not allowed unless it’s to see someone actively dying, a trauma patient or pediatrics and even then it’s one visitor at a time. Security is at every entrance. 

CR69 said:
Sister in law has a co-worker test positive. Our are unfortunately hasn’t really accepted that this is happening but I believe this is our first confirmed case of community spread so I imagine that will change quickly. We haven’t seen her in over a month so we’re good but she has been around my in-laws and my wife’s grandparents. We haven’t seen them in about the same time but they all have health problems😢
Update. Even though she is quarantined her boyfriend is still going to work. In a ####### call center. 🤦‍♂️

Pretty sure I have several thousand N 95 masks at our warehouse space. 3M donated a whole bunch of stuff to our museum over the years. I am contemplating going over to take a look to make sure we indeed have that many and I will make them available to any hospital worker in the area

Just got back from my normal Saturday morning grocery run

Crowd was normal for sat morning

Only thing I noticed very low was OJ, bread and some canned goods

Only thing I saw a limit posted on was cases of water...limit 2

Only heard one person cough and pretty much ran away with my cart before I even realized what I was doing.     :oldunsure:

Just got off the phone with my mother. She’s asking me to help them move so boxes from their condo so they can put the house on the market. 

So FN pissed. If I don’t help her I’m an ### and if I do I’m stupid.

Been asking her to put this on the market for months and now during a freaking pandemic she’s listing.

Why???? Why???

Just got off the phone with my mother. She’s asking me to help them move so boxes from their condo so they can put the house on the market. 

Been asking her to put this on the market for months and now during a freaking pandemic she’s listing.

Why???? Why???
Collectively, our parents are dumber than rocks. 

Just got back from my normal Saturday morning grocery run

Crowd was normal for sat morning

Only thing I noticed very low was OJ, bread and some canned goods

Only thing I saw a limit posted on was cases of water...limit 2

Only heard one person cough and pretty much ran away with my cart before I even realized what I was doing.     :oldunsure:
I also noticed people aren't keeping distance. I went to Sam's where a huge cluster formed at the door where the employee was checking receipts. I told the manager it isn't really a good idea.

Link

From Seattle Times this morn: The triage plan being discussed by state and health care officials would assess factors such as age, health and likelihood of survival in determining who will get access to full care and who will merely be provided comfort care, with the expectation that they will die.

Why???? Why???
Me to my parents:  sorry, not bringing the kiddo over for a while.  You guys are in the high-risk category and I’m not willing to be the cause of anything bad

My parents:  so silly!  We know where we’ve been!  We want to see our granddaughter!

Me:  yeah, I know where I’ve been too!  Fort Lauderdale and Philly, 6 different airports, and the wife and I have been sick for 2 and a half weeks!  Since you have an android and can’t FaceTime, download Facebook and put Messenger on your phone and we can video chat during all this.

Parents:  we are not putting Facebook on our phone, we don’t want to get some computer virus!

Me:  https://imgur.com/gallery/JIpwc

Me:  https://imgur.com/gallery/da126

We believe: Children do not become ill, they only carry the virus to others.
The truth: 6% of children who get the virus become seriously ill
11% of toddlers who get the virus become seriously ill
This is interesting to me that a hospital would send this out. Maybe they have a different source, but this data matches up with the study out of china, kind of. 

The study said 11% of infants, not toddlers. 

Also that study was based on 2/3 of the children being suspected of having the virus, not actually confirmed. It is very important to note that the suspected and not confirmed over represented by a great deal in the severe findings. 

For example of the 112 severe cases, 94 of them were from suspected rather than confirmed. 

This is interesting to me that a hospital would send this out. Maybe they have a different source, but this data matches up with the study out of china, kind of. 

Also that study was based on 2/3 of the children being suspected of having the virus, not actually confirmed. It is very important to note that the suspected and not confirmed over represented by a great deal in the severe findings. 

For example of the 112 severe cases, 94 of them were from suspected rather than confirmed. 

Yeah remove it because i'm not sure i can share it.

Users who are viewing this thread