What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (12 Viewers)

Czechia is now 14 days past their plateau, and new cases are down 50% from the peak.

The USA is maybe 1 day past our plateau. I very much doubt that our caseload will be down 50% two weeks from now.

No disagreement at all with that. We. Shall. See.

I'd only add that they obviously have their reasons for reopening businesses before they have anti-bodies testing data and the final report on what this is. They seem to think management going forward and reopening society is the best overall path.
Do you think the testing and tracking the Czech government is planning to do will fly  in the US?  We have more of a history of civil liberties. We can’t even get churches to close down in KS. 

Czechia is now 14 days past their plateau, and new cases are down 50% from the peak.

The USA is maybe 1 day past our plateau. I very much doubt that our caseload will be down 50% two weeks from now.
It won't.  The reason it won't is we are 50 states, each with its own peak.  As NY ramps down, Florida will tamp up.  And then Texas and on down the line.

DO NOT TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.

Trust data.  Trust the experts.  If you see experts with differing opinions, trust the experts that experts trust, and trust experts who are actual, bona fide experts in the field of discussion.  Don't trust Dr Drew because he is a doctor, but trust Dr Fauci because he has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984.

Its not optimism vs pessimism, its data vs hope.
My point is that people are smart enough to distinguish what they are ingesting.  You were smart enough to discern that Dr Drew was talking out of his backside. 

To simply take the point that Dr Fauci is infallible is a fools errand, and is as bad as saying Dr Drew is infallible and should always be trusted.  To accept Dr Faucis opinions like they are the word of God without considering even for a moment that he might be *gasp* wrong about something isn't a good fit for the intellectually curious.

You're a smart guy, and I trust in your ability to hear opinion 1 from expert A and opinion 2 from expert B and figure out for yourself which one sounds like the truth.

I'm not afraid of more information and I don't think anyone else should be either.  In fact, it was misinformation from the "experts" at the CDC that put us way behind on testing in the first place.  There were a lot of trusted voices that called travel bans from China racist.  Don't get me started on the WHO.

My whole point isn't to ignore the data, it's that you demand all the data.  Granted, it's a lot safer to say "well, Dr Fauci says we have to shut down for 14 months, I guess we have to shut down for 14 months.....and anyone that disagrees must be "anti-science"". I just think people deserve (and should demand) more.

The MSM contacts experts because they're tops in their field.  Fauci - why is he involved?  Because he's spent a lifetime doing work in this arena and is prepared both in terms of experience, ability to interpret data, and connections to all folks in this field. 

Why should common folks "trust your instincts"?  This is a HORRIBLE idea.  Folks haven't evolved to be able to have an instinctual understanding of how epidemiological pandemics spread.  Folks don't have some evolutionarily trained instinct into such things.  Fire hot.  Hungry, need food.  Woman, need to *****.  Beyond this, our entire education system is devised to overcome our instincts, our ignorance, and learn from history, learn math, learn how the world works in ways contrary to what we'd expect.

The worst advice in the world for most folks is to trust your instincts in areas instincts don't prepare folks to handle.  Global, once in a 100 years epidemics are such situations.

So sure.  Listen to everything.  But for God's sakes...our economy is built on the idea of specialization.  On the idea that we don't all do equally well every job.  We specialize.  We focus.  We gain expertise in certain areas.

Certain folks devote their lives to studying infectious diseases.  These folks are epidemiologists.  These folks are the guys the MSM have on their programs, who are influencing Trump, who are speaking at his press conferences.  These are the folks to listen to, to subjugate your own "intuitions" to, because GOOD GOD these guys/ladies have been spending their lives focusing on these areas.  They understand the subject matter more than you do.

For God's sake...don't listen to Statorama.  Don't trust your instincts because unless you can explain to my what evolutionary biology makes you, as an individual, well prepared on an instinctual level to assess the entirety of a global pandemic...keep your mouth shut and listen to folks who specialize in this area and trust the experts.  It's embarrassing that I have to make this point but thats' where we are in society.  Where someone can non-jokingly suggest that the average person has any idea on the situation here.

This is how you get to a point where armchair, non-college graduate, beer guzzling, crotch scratching good guys have as much standing to assess a global pandemic as the Fauci's of the world.  Here we are.  And I love scratching my crotch and beer as much as the next guy...but good lord I know when I'm out of my depth.  And despite multiple degrees, focusing on science, and huge amounts of math, I defer to the experts.  I listen to the data.  I listen to their judgements on what's going to happen, and why things should be done a certain way like social distancing.  I hear their concerns, and I see the deaths going on right now in huge cities like NY with nearly 1k deaths in a single state and I can easily say "damn...you guys nailed this."

And then I hear folks suggesting people should "trust their instincts".  What rubbish.

Of course there are consequences to shutting down the economy.  There are also consequences to NOT shutting down the economy.

The only way to reasonably determine which is worse is to follow the data.  NOT to trust our instincts.  One leads to quality conclusions, and the other leads to catastrophe.
Respectfully disagree.  I need data from multiple sources and multiple experts.  And when those experts clash, I trust my instincts as to which ones are feeding me the truth.

And I'm very proud to say that I have confidence that others on the board are smart enough to do the same.

It's super easy to just roll the dice with Dr Fauci and not do any thinking of your own.  I'm just not that lazy.  I demand more.

I'm not saying trust your instincts if they say go out and lick a toilet seat.  I'm saying trust your instincts if something an expert says sounds like they are pulling thoughts out of their nethers and is diametrically opposed to something you heard another expert say.  Trust your instincts when it comes to differing expert opinions.  If one expert says we need to shutdown 14 months and another says 5 months, do some digging and follow your instincts on which opinion seems bonafide.

Those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

All I can say--- :no:
That was my thought too as I watched the documentary on the Spanish Flu. SF did now what SF did then, acted before there was a case of flu (covid) there. Thought it's gone, then second wave hit them because SF let its guard down. Same will happen if anywhere opens up a little too soon.

• Thanks
Reactions: JAA
Saw they are reopening Polaris in northern Minnesota on Monday because, you know, snow mobiles and four wheelers are obviously essential. 🙄

You literally can't get anything I said right, can you?

How many links do you need that say the businesses are already open and the last remaining, least essential ones are set to open on Tuesday?

You tell me I'm wrong 4-5 times now and still haven't provided one link. The link you come up with is going to have to be contrary to CR's government announcements.
You have misinterpreted what you've posted.   The bike shops are the first to open back up, not the last.  Your own link doesn't support what you're claiming.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Cross posted from the PF thread

Why Denmark is taking steps to open up again

Denmark is about to make its first move to relax restrictions imposed to fight coronavirus.

From Wednesday, children aged 11 and younger return to schools and nurseries, after a month of closures.

It's among the first European countries aiming to put the lockdown into gradual reverse, just as it was one of the first to impose restrictions.

"It's important we don't keep Denmark closed for longer than we need to," said Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen, as she announced the move last week.

The spread of coronavirus appears to be under control and the government wants to get the economy going again.

But Denmark's moves will be slow and cautious. Ms Frederiksen likened them to walking a tightrope.

"If we open Denmark too quickly again, we risk infections rising too sharply and then we'll have to close down again," she said.

Who else is easing the lockdown?

Norway and Austria are also scaling back restrictions slowly.

In Austria some shops reopen this Tuesday, followed by other stores, restaurants and hotels in May.

Children go back to Norway's kindergartens on 20 April and junior schools a week later.

In Bulgaria farmers' markets are reopening. In the Czech Republic, shops selling building materials and bikes are back in business and rules have been relaxed for open-air recreation areas.

Spain, which along with Italy has been hardest hit by Covid-19, aims to allow non-essential workers back to work from Monday and will hand out protective masks at stations.

But for many countries the easing of restrictions still lies ahead. UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has said it's too early to consider an exit strategy. And the head of the World Health Organization has warned against lifting stay-at-home measures too fast.

So why is Denmark ready to move?

Compared with other European countries, Denmark was an early mover. A raft of restrictions was announced on 11 March, 12 days before measures were introduced in the UK.

Gatherings have been limited to 10 people, the workforce told to stay home, and the borders shut.

It's in stark contrast to neighbouring Sweden, which continued pretty much business as usual, and only recently curbed group sizes from 500 to 50 people.

Lockdown, what lockdown? Sweden's unusual response

Love knows no borders for elderly couple

However, Denmark's lockdown has been far less restrictive than those in France or the UK.

There is no stay-at-home order. Although bars, gyms and hairdressers are closed, many shops remain open.

Health data suggests Denmark's efforts are paying off.

"I think we are ready for a controlled reopening," says Hans Joern Kolmos, a professor in clinical microbiology at the University of Southern Denmark.

Has Denmark seen the back of the outbreak?

Some 6,000 cases and 260 coronavirus-related deaths have been recorded up to 11 April.

Crucially, total numbers of hospital admissions and patients in intensive care have fallen since the beginning of the month.

"We still have plenty of capacity, both in terms of ordinary beds, ICU [intensive care] beds and ventilators," says Prof Kolmos.

However, the country needs to be ready for potential "flare-ups" of the virus. "This means that we have to build up testing capacity," he adds.

What will change?

Opening up may prove trickier than closing down.

School guidelines are still being ironed out. There needs to be more distance between children, stricter cleaning regimes and more outdoor classes.

"This is not going to be a normal school day, from day one," says Dorte Lange, Vice President of the Danish Teachers' Union.

"Our members are filled with questions on how should we manage to do this in a safe way," says Ms Lange. "There are not two schools that are alike."

It is very likely that some schools will not be ready to open.

There has been a mixed reaction among parents. One Facebook group, called "My kid should not be a Guinea Pig for Covid-19", quickly racked up over 35,000 members.

However, Prof Kolmos says opening schools first makes sense. "Children seem not to be affected to any large extent, and this is the only way to get their parents back to work."

I'm quite comfortable about sending them to school," says Anne Eskerod Borgstroem, a market research director and mother of three. "And I think also it's easier for me to do my job at home."

She feels the government's communications on the issue have been clear and that gives her confidence.

The handling of the crisis has seen widespread public support. According to one poll, 86% of Danes approve.

Why Denmark is not over this yet

The lockdown has taken a toll on livelihoods and most restrictions remain at least until 10 May, when the government considers its next steps.

It is still not clear when some businesses such as restaurants can reopen their doors.

"The restaurant industry is suffering as a whole. We've lost maybe 60% of our revenue," says Kasper Bundgaard Christensen, who runs two seafood restaurants in Copenhagen, called Hooked.

A ban on festivals and large events until September has also wiped out plans for their food truck. "Pretty much everything in our calendar was just cancelled. So it is a big knock."

They are focusing on takeaway sales, and hope business gets back to normal by summer.

Twenty staff have been sent home but remain on the payroll, thanks largely to a compensation scheme designed to avert layoffs. "We pay 10% of their wage, and the government pays the rest."

"When this is over, we can look them in the eye and they can come to work for us again," says Mr Christensen.

Hundreds of billions of Danish krone - equivalent to tens of billions of pounds or euros - have been spent on rescue packages.

Lars Sandahl Soerensen, Chief Executive of the Confederation of Danish Industry, says more is needed. "With the very gradual opening we are facing, many workplaces and businesses need assistance if they are to survive."

Opening up will clearly take time, and there will be lots of new rules.

"I don't think the normal life we had before coronavirus will come back," the prime minister told Danish public broadcaster DR.

New study links pollution to increased level of Covid-19 deaths

Background: United States government scientists estimate that COVID-19 may kill between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans. The majority of the pre-existing conditions that increase the risk of death for COVID-19 are the same diseases that are affected by long-term exposure to air pollution. We investigate whether long-term average exposure to fine particulate matter (PM2.5) increases the risk of COVID-19 deaths in the United States.

Methods: Data was collected for approximately 3,000 counties in the United States (98% of the population) up to April 04, 2020. We fit zero-inflated negative binomial mixed models using county level COVID-19 deaths as the outcome and county level long-term average of PM2.5 as the exposure. We adjust by population size, hospital beds, number of individuals tested, weather, and socioeconomic and behavioral variables including, but not limited to obesity and smoking. We include a random intercept by state to account for potential correlation in counties within the same state.

Results: We found that an increase of only 1 μg/m3 in PM2.5 is associated with a 15% increase in the COVID-19 death rate, 95% confidence interval (CI) (5%, 25%). Results are statistically significant and robust to secondary and sensitivity analyses.

Conclusions: A small increase in long-term exposure to PM2.5 leads to a large increase in COVID-19 death rate, with the magnitude of increase 20 times that observed for PM2.5 and all-cause mortality. The study results underscore the importance of continuing to enforce existing air pollution regulations to protect human health both during and after the COVID-19 crisis. The data and code are publicly available
ETA: So far non peer reviewed

• Thanks
Hold off on your spring cleaning, trash collection services are overwhelmed by rising amount of household waste

'It's just a nightmare.' Trash collectors overwhelmed by rising amount of household waste

By Matt McFarland, CNN Business

Updated 9:44 AM ET, Thu April 9, 2020

Washington, DC (CNN)Barney Shapiro, owner of Tenleytown Trash, never expected that he would turn to the Washington National Opera's costume department to design gear for his employees. But when a member of his staff heard the National Opera was sewing masks for workers on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic, he jumped at the chance.

Shapiro's staffers haul trash in Washington, DC, and Maryland. Like the entire waste management industry, Shapiro is trying to keep his employees healthy and safe so they can handle the massive influx of household trash that is accumulating as more Americans self-quarantine at home.

"Our residential volumes are drastically increased," Shapiro said. "People are calling in and asking for increased services. We can't do that on a short-term basis. It's just a nightmare."

Tenleytown Trash workers are wearing masks made by the Washington National Opera's costume department.

Republic Services, one of the largest waste management companies in the US, said it expects the volume of residential garbage to increase by as much as 30%. In order to redirect resources and address the growing amount of day-to-day household waste, about 50 communities nationwide have paused curbside recycling pickup and dozens have suspended yard waste collection, according to the Solid Waste Association of America. Other companies are shifting workers to residential routes and away from slower commercial routes where many of the businesses have closed.

Companies are also making contingency plans in case the residential volume becomes too great or their workers get sick.

Shapiro said one of his drivers and the colleague he rides with have both tested positive for coronavirus, as well as one of his administrative employees.

Another driver recently said he was scared to work and is staying home, according to Shapiro. And Shapiro, who employs 32 drivers, is growing concerned that more employees will want to do the same.

"I hate to say this. Those things do tend to snowball," he said. "I can't say to a driver, 'No I want you working.' Quite honestly, they're being put at risk."

David Biderman, CEO of the Solid Waste Association of North America, said the industry has seen a slight uptick in absenteeism so far. That's mostly been due to workers who have been quarantined after a potential exposure to the virus or who need to stay home because their kids are out of school. But he expects those absenteeism figures to increase, especially in areas that have yet to start to flatten the curve when it comes to new coronavirus cases and fatalities.

At Tenleytown Trash, all of Shapiro's backup drivers have been called in and he has hired an extra worker just to keep everything sanitized. Shapiro said the company's trucks are sanitized daily and cleanings at its offices have increased, too.

All of this is adding pressure to the industry when its services are needed the most.

Bill Rumpke Jr., CEO of Rumpke Waste & Recycling, has hired 36 new employees in the last week to deal with an increase in residential volume in the markets where it operates in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Rumpke Waste & Recycling has hired new employees in the last week to handle a massive influx in household trash.

Rumpke said he's facing financial losses due to the dramatic drop in commercial and industrial business, but his main concern right now is keeping his employees safe and meeting the increased demand for residential waste pickups. He's prepared to suspend yard waste and bulk trash pickup if necessary.

"We've been able to stay ahead of it so far," Rumpke said. "Hopefully, we'll be able to stay on schedule."

To offset increased labor costs and declining revenue, Rumpke said the company plans to cut back on other expenses, such as a planned IT project and the purchase of new heavy equipment.

The challenge of coronavirus is unlike anything the company has faced in its 88 years of operation, Rumpke said. If there's an outbreak among its staff, the company is preparing to shift labor between its markets or to delay service.

One way Americans can help, said Biderman, is to hold off on spring cleaning and limit curbside waste.

"[Spring cleaning is] going to put additional pressure on an already pressured solid waste collection system," Biderman said. "Wait until things return to normal."

Hold off on your spring cleaning, trash collection services are overwhelmed by rising amount of household waste

'It's just a nightmare.' Trash collectors overwhelmed by rising amount of household waste

By Matt McFarland, CNN Business

Updated 9:44 AM ET, Thu April 9, 2020

Washington, DC (CNN)Barney Shapiro, owner of Tenleytown Trash, never expected that he would turn to the Washington National Opera's costume department to design gear for his employees. But when a member of his staff heard the National Opera was sewing masks for workers on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic, he jumped at the chance.

Shapiro's staffers haul trash in Washington, DC, and Maryland. Like the entire waste management industry, Shapiro is trying to keep his employees healthy and safe so they can handle the massive influx of household trash that is accumulating as more Americans self-quarantine at home.

"Our residential volumes are drastically increased," Shapiro said. "People are calling in and asking for increased services. We can't do that on a short-term basis. It's just a nightmare."

Tenleytown Trash workers are wearing masks made by the Washington National Opera's costume department.

Republic Services, one of the largest waste management companies in the US, said it expects the volume of residential garbage to increase by as much as 30%. In order to redirect resources and address the growing amount of day-to-day household waste, about 50 communities nationwide have paused curbside recycling pickup and dozens have suspended yard waste collection, according to the Solid Waste Association of America. Other companies are shifting workers to residential routes and away from slower commercial routes where many of the businesses have closed.

Companies are also making contingency plans in case the residential volume becomes too great or their workers get sick.

Shapiro said one of his drivers and the colleague he rides with have both tested positive for coronavirus, as well as one of his administrative employees.

Another driver recently said he was scared to work and is staying home, according to Shapiro. And Shapiro, who employs 32 drivers, is growing concerned that more employees will want to do the same.

"I hate to say this. Those things do tend to snowball," he said. "I can't say to a driver, 'No I want you working.' Quite honestly, they're being put at risk."

David Biderman, CEO of the Solid Waste Association of North America, said the industry has seen a slight uptick in absenteeism so far. That's mostly been due to workers who have been quarantined after a potential exposure to the virus or who need to stay home because their kids are out of school. But he expects those absenteeism figures to increase, especially in areas that have yet to start to flatten the curve when it comes to new coronavirus cases and fatalities.

At Tenleytown Trash, all of Shapiro's backup drivers have been called in and he has hired an extra worker just to keep everything sanitized. Shapiro said the company's trucks are sanitized daily and cleanings at its offices have increased, too.

All of this is adding pressure to the industry when its services are needed the most.

Bill Rumpke Jr., CEO of Rumpke Waste & Recycling, has hired 36 new employees in the last week to deal with an increase in residential volume in the markets where it operates in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia.

Rumpke Waste & Recycling has hired new employees in the last week to handle a massive influx in household trash.

Rumpke said he's facing financial losses due to the dramatic drop in commercial and industrial business, but his main concern right now is keeping his employees safe and meeting the increased demand for residential waste pickups. He's prepared to suspend yard waste and bulk trash pickup if necessary.

"We've been able to stay ahead of it so far," Rumpke said. "Hopefully, we'll be able to stay on schedule."

To offset increased labor costs and declining revenue, Rumpke said the company plans to cut back on other expenses, such as a planned IT project and the purchase of new heavy equipment.

The challenge of coronavirus is unlike anything the company has faced in its 88 years of operation, Rumpke said. If there's an outbreak among its staff, the company is preparing to shift labor between its markets or to delay service.

One way Americans can help, said Biderman, is to hold off on spring cleaning and limit curbside waste.

"[Spring cleaning is] going to put additional pressure on an already pressured solid waste collection system," Biderman said. "Wait until things return to normal."
Where sanitation workers are picking up bags and stuff this seems like a major issue.  Where I live, we have trash cans that are provided to us by the waste management company, so that they fit in the hydraulic lifting device on the truck.   They drive up, they clamp onto the can, it empties into the truck and puts it back down (often sideways, halfway down the street or blocking the mailbox).   If you have more than fits in the can, that's on you and you have to take it to the dump.  They won't pick it up.    Our trash company contacted us and said they won't pick up trash cans that have loose trash--it all has to be bagged.   I can't really figure out the difference.   The workers never get out of the truck.

DO NOT TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS.

Trust data.  Trust the experts.  If you see experts with differing opinions, trust the experts that experts trust, and trust experts who are actual, bona fide experts in the field of discussion.  Don't trust Dr Drew because he is a doctor, but trust Dr Fauci because he has been the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases since 1984.

Its not optimism vs pessimism, its data vs hope.
Exactly. Why would anyone expect an instinctual understanding of pandemic response? This isn’t common sense. And it isn’t something epidemiologists, infectious disease experts and government officials have undertaken without considering the short and long-term economic consequences. While they certainly may revise their plans, those decisions need to be be data-driven, not emotional.

ETA I see Adonis covered it.

Where sanitation workers are picking up bags and stuff this seems like a major issue.  Where I live, we have trash cans that are provided to us by the waste management company, so that they fit in the hydraulic lifting device on the truck.   They drive up, they clamp onto the can, it empties into the truck and puts it back down (often sideways, halfway down the street or blocking the mailbox).   If you have more than fits in the can, that's on you and you have to take it to the dump.  They won't pick it up.    Our trash company contacted us and said they won't pick up trash cans that have loose trash--it all has to be bagged.   I can't really figure out the difference.   The workers never get out of the truck.
Our community went to that format as well a few years ago; I'm a big fan, I like the large wheeled containers with the big flappy lid.

I suspect the trash bag requirement is intended to prevent loose trash from being spread by the wind, either when it's dumped into the truck, or when the can is placed back down, or when the truck drives down the road.

I'm sure the trash companies get tired of residents calling to complain about trash blowing around the neighborhood after trash pickup.

Mr Anonymous said:
Yep missed a zero. Even better.

If 327,000 Americans die it will be 0.1% that fell victim to this. Those aren't numbers that should make someone afraid to venture into public without some underlying condition. And 327,000 Americans are not going to die of this. I'll happily delete my account if we ever hit that number.
Did you have to write it out?

bucksoh said:
It is pretty clear your  not  a Dr.  How hard is it to say otherwise, others have asked and all you do is get snarky with them.  I could Google like you, but I don't need to.  So keep me on ignore if you're not going to answer and I'll keep ignoring you.  But I will continue to laugh at your fear mongering.
It is pretty clear that one of you is not a doctor.

My point is that people are smart enough to distinguish what they are ingesting.  You were smart enough to discern that Dr Drew was talking out of his backside. 

To simply take the point that Dr Fauci is infallible is a fools errand, and is as bad as saying Dr Drew is infallible and should always be trusted.  To accept Dr Faucis opinions like they are the word of God without considering even for a moment that he might be *gasp* wrong about something isn't a good fit for the intellectually curious.

You're a smart guy, and I trust in your ability to hear opinion 1 from expert A and opinion 2 from expert B and figure out for yourself which one sounds like the truth.

I'm not afraid of more information and I don't think anyone else should be either.  In fact, it was misinformation from the "experts" at the CDC that put us way behind on testing in the first place.  There were a lot of trusted voices that called travel bans from China racist.  Don't get me started on the WHO.

My whole point isn't to ignore the data, it's that you demand all the data.  Granted, it's a lot safer to say "well, Dr Fauci says we have to shut down for 14 months, I guess we have to shut down for 14 months.....and anyone that disagrees must be "anti-science"". I just think people deserve (and should demand) more.
This thread is clear evidence that not everyone should trust their instincts. Some might even need a sign on the bedroom wall that reads: "First pants, THEN shoes."

Not pointing fingers.

Apologies if already posted as I haven't been keeping up with the thread the last couple of days.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-leading-cause-of-death.html

Wow. Covid-19 is now the leading daily cause of death in the US. Hopefully that sober reality will convince the remaining few who refuse to take this as seriously as it should be and want to downplay it. And this result could be even worse if we hadn't been shutting things down the last few weeks. Glad to hear glimmers of hope about a peak, just hope that peak isn't a wide plateau.

moleculo said:
Assume things are on the downslope by June, and restrictions are lifted.  What kind of vacations would y'all feel comfortable planning?  Airline?  Hotel?  Amusement park? Big city?  Cabin rental in the mountains sounds like the safest bet, IMO.

ETA: the shark move is to plan and reserve now - make sure its fully refundable but now is the time to move. 
I postponed my March trip to Charleston until the second week of September. I'm just in a wait and see how things play out mode. By then a second wave could be underway. I'm just going to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. 

bucksoh said:
I'm not taking away anyone who died from this.  But this is the second biggest hoax of the last two thousand years.  And by hoax I mean anything under .75 death rate even though posters are saying this is anywhere from 1-14%.  When all is done the death rate will be .3-.5.  Who do you think created this hoax?
Be cooler than this. Certainly it's fair to respectfully talk about how we're responding and if it seems the response to the crisis is appropriate. But lots of people are anxious and concerned and hurting on this. Be more cool if you come back. 

Your post is kinda mean, please don’t hurt my feelings. 

So the governors forced companies to fire people?  Gosh, that sounds so harsh!  Those mean governors!

I sincerely apologize for the snark, but I think you realize the miss in your argument, yes?
Governors: if you open for business the police will be at your door

Owner: puts up closed sign

Jaa: the owner decided to close his business

Respectfully disagree.  I need data from multiple sources and multiple experts.  And when those experts clash, I trust my instincts as to which ones are feeding me the truth.

And I'm very proud to say that I have confidence that others on the board are smart enough to do the same.

It's super easy to just roll the dice with Dr Fauci and not do any thinking of your own.  I'm just not that lazy.  I demand more.

I'm not saying trust your instincts if they say go out and lick a toilet seat.  I'm saying trust your instincts if something an expert says sounds like they are pulling thoughts out of their nethers and is diametrically opposed to something you heard another expert say.  Trust your instincts when it comes to differing expert opinions.  If one expert says we need to shutdown 14 months and another says 5 months, do some digging and follow your instincts on which opinion seems bonafide.
There are very few things I disagree with more than the above post.

The modern push to disregard expertise and data in lieu of personal "instinct" is the weirdest thing about modern America.  Its really weird.  There is nothing special about your instinct that allows you to know if Dr. Fauci is full or it.

I'm not saying follow him blindly.  Be skeptical.  Be skeptical of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.  But, if experts have data, and other experts agree that the data is legit, and the decision falls within someone's expertise, a smart man would go with it.

If one expert says 14 months and another says 5, the prudent thing to do is examine why there is a difference.  What assumptions are being made, what their underlying models are, what kind of biases they may have, what the rest of the scientific community says, etc.

You claimed that trusting Fauci is lazy...i say its lazy to not trust him because your instincts say so.  If you can find compelling data-driven counter arguments, that's when you can have a legitimate debate.

If we cound just trust instincts, there would be no need for science at all.  If my instincts told me that if I build ccx an engine a certain way, it would work...therefore no need for research or testing.  If my instincts told me I can mix two chemicals and get a particular reaction, there would be no reason to experiment.  No, "trusting your instincts" is the exact opposite of science.

Guys... This whole situation sucks.  It is a completely new phenomenon we are all experiencing for the first time.  Not everyone is going to agree with what steps our government has taken, the magnitude of this, etc.  @bucksoh  hit a few of my posts with a laughing emoji early on and I'll be honest, it pissed me off.  It is hard for me not to be emotional when I personally know 3 people in the hospital with this.  One of which is on a ventilator now.  I've never known ANYONE on a vent over "the flu".  Especially not someone in their early 50s.  I don't agree with him that it is "the flu".  He responded to one of my posts with what I first took as condescending in tone.  I wanted to come at him telling him all about himself but I thought about it and thought maybe it was more of a passionate response.  I asked him to clarify what he was talking about and we had a civil conversation about it and I understood where some of his frustration was coming from and understood his position a little better.  I'm not calling out @bucksoh personally to point out anything he has done, but as an example of someone that I could have came at differently because of my passion in this situation and my interpretation of his responses.   And don't take this post of me defending him or a agreeing with his view point.

None of us are the smartest person in the world.  Lets stop acting like somehow because we are in the medical field, or know data (I'm a data analyst myself.  I get data).  If we can get past being passionate and STOP being snarky jerks to each other... Maybe we will learn something from the people who have a different view point.  

This thread has been awesome and has helped me SO much over the past couple months.  I personally don't believe this is a hoax, or conspiracy, or some made up thing.  But I'm willing to listen to the people who don't agree with me.   I'd hate it to just turn into a giant pissing match of people being ##### to each other.  We can totally do better than that.  

It's really easy for people to conflate "instinct" with "confirmation bias".

Nobody is choosing data that supports shutting down the economy because they have a bias towards shutting down the economy. And if you think they actually do have such a bias, then you're not suffering from a conflation of "instinct" with "confirmation bias". You are suffering from :tinfoilhat:

The data speaks for itself. If you want to know how dangerous the virus is, look at where it hit the hardest... New York City

Population: 8.4 million

Documented COVID-19 deaths: 6367

That is one death for every 1,319 citizens of the city.

And that is only documented deaths. And nearly half of those deaths have occurred in the last 5 days alone. And this is with mitigation efforts. 

Does this virus see a difference between New York City and elsewhere. Does it say to itself, "I like Des Moines, IA better than NYC, so I won't be so bad on them". Or "Springfield [insert any state]... they're good people... I won't hurt them as much"

Our mitigation efforts are working. End them and COVID-19 will work on the rest of NYC, and the rest of the country just like it does... and it does, until we have medical advances to fight it.

That is what the data says. That is nothing to do with "confirmation bias". It is what it is. 

Engineer: based on my inspections and analysis, this bridge may collapse.  I reccomend shutting it down for 2 weeks and repairing it.

Politician: wow, shutting the bridge down will put a real strain on our economy. Besides, this bridge had stood for 50 years already; my instincts say its good for 50 more.

Engineer: based on my inspections and analysis, this bridge may collapse.  I reccomend shutting it down for 2 weeks and repairing it.

Politician: wow, shutting the bridge down will put a real strain on our economy. Besides, this bridge had stood for 50 years already; my instincts say its good for 50 more.
Use a ferry and boats to get people across until the bridge is repaired.

Use a ferry and boats to get people across until the bridge is repaired.
And, just like that, the good @Coach Morris Buttermaker found a way to mitigate the problem.  He found a way to keep the economy viable and allow let the work be completed.  

To complete the analogy, I wonder if its possible for the economy to continue while the lockdown is in place? Perhaps Americans are smart and resilient enough to figure it out?

• Smile
And, just like that, the good @Coach Morris Buttermaker found a way to mitigate the problem.  He found a way to keep the economy viable and allow let the work be completed.  

To complete the analogy, I wonder if its possible for the economy to continue while the lockdown is in place? Perhaps Americans are smart and resilient enough to figure it out?
Let's hope so.

I think a ton of that will be determined by if we can overcome the condescension and snark and tribalism we seem to love. Where anything that's not my way is dismissed as stupid or naive or worse. And how we seemingly love to focus on blame instead of solutions.

I hope we can get past those things.

Nicely put, although you present a very binary problem.  However, your engineer above presumably has solid data that he knows how to analyze.

Also, even though in your example above the correct action (shut down for 2 weeks) will be taken, the politician does at least have to do a quick check of the risk-reward numbers.  That's his job.  Or is he not allowed to perform that step?  Is he not allowed to ask the engineer "what does may mean"?

Hey, don't get me wrong.  I'm with the general crowd that the current shutdown should be continued through the end of April.  After that, I need to see a proper risk-reward analysis, supported by data that is robust.  If that analysis says wait another month, I'm onboard.  However, I doubt we will have enough data to justify making any choice other than to continue in shutdown as our "abundance of caution".  Just a few more weeks.  And a few more.  And another month, we just don't know yet.  Etc.

Engineer: i have never seen a bridge like this before. Have zero experience, but based on other bridges I have seen i am going to assume this bridge will collapse so all traffic should be shut down. I realize there are tons of bridges like this in other countries where the real damage to them is being caused by semi trucks and equipment haulers and the data supports that, but I just dont agree with that and hey, i am an engineer so when I say close down all traffic, even foot traffic you better listen to me! 

I think the whole hoard tp started because so many thought it's the flu. So with flu comes a lot of #2. It continues because many still think it's the flu. Plus it's flu season still on top.

Can we stop the flour hoarding now too?
It's important to understand that neither of these is a "hoarding" issue.  The main reason why TP is sold out everyplace is because people are using the bathroom at home, and so they're using way more household TP than usual.  Likewise, the reason why flour, yeast, and baking soda are in short supply is because a whole bunch of people decided that now would be a good time to do some baking.  These are both industries that are normally very stable, predictable markets, and so they have production capacities and supply chains that are well-designed to handle stable, predictable sales.  Neither is designed to accommodate the massive increases in demand that materialized out of nowhere over the course of about a week or so.  

In other words, these products are scarce now because of a fundamental production issue, not because other people are panic-buying.  The reason it's good to understand this is because you should't just complacently sit back and wait for the TP "hoarding" to end.  This shortage isn't going to end any time soon, probably not until industrial TP manufacturers figure out a way to sell in the household market.  I would not let my own stock get too low.  That doesn't mean that you need to drive around town first thing every morning buying up all the TP you can.  It just means not running out because you thought supply would go back to the old normal.  

If I were still teaching ECON 101, this would be my new go-to example of how how the law of supply and demand -- that markets tend toward equilibrium -- doesn't mean that individual markets can't be out of equilibrium for a little while. 

Users who are viewing this thread