What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (15 Viewers)

This would be nice to know, but the push has been to make it seem like there arent higher risk groups.

Yes everybody ignore all that data worldwide and from the US and read this quote from an ER doctor about one case that we are withholding some details about. 
No disagreement here.  I’m an actuary by training.  Facts are our friends.

The virus hasn't been around long enough to know all that much definitively about re-infection. From what I've seen, I believe "quick reinfection" is pretty much ruled out. But the prospect of reinfection after medium-term time frames -- say, ~6 months to ~2 years -- is still an open question.

The high level of certainty we seek in COVID information is still about 12-24 months away, not the least because so much takes time to truly evaluate and build consensus. Not that we don't know a lot at this point ... more that there's still so much left to unfold, and thus to learn.
Using your logic, this article is 100% false, correct?  After all, these are South Korean CDC researchers, and they are saying, with 100% certainty, that contracting the virus a second time is impossible.  Not highly unlikely, not for only a set amount of time - they are saying never ever again.
If the South Korean researchers themselves -- and not through a media intermediary -- say that "absolutely, no human can be or ever will be infected with COVID-19 twice in their lifetimes" ... that particular statement is certain to be false. Why? Because like all human traits, immune response varies markedly between humans. A very small number of people never develop effective antibodies against viruses at all. A still-small, but larger, number never develop antibodies in great numbers -- so they'll (sometimes) barely beat a given infection, but don't have enough residual antibodies (or ones long-lasting enough) to avoid re-infection by the same pathogen later.

All that said -- I think the South Korean researchers were likely speaking broadly and probably not concerned with the rare exceptions posed by congenitally immuno-compromised individuals.

You and I are in 100% agreement in how dumb and unfortunate that would be. The alternative to stay shutdown because people can't be trusted, just isn't feasible though. I'm probably spoiled because where I live (Las Vegas) everyone is wearing masks in grocery stores.
Mask usage here in grocery stores has been topping out at about 50% locally over the last two weekends. Often less than that (yes, I've been going more than once a week lately). This is in contrast to apparent mask usage of ~80% Easter weekend and the weekend before.

Last week on Saturday April 25th, I went to the local chain grocery in the early afternoon. When I walked in, it appeared that every customer in line for checkout was NOT wearing a mask. On my way back out maybe 40 minutes later, mask usage of the patrons seemed to have increased a good bit, maybe back to 50% again. Just so spotty.

Seemed too big of a story to be pretty much nowhere in the media. 

Thanks to you and toshiba for the links. 
There is an incentive for hospitals to treat patients with corona virus. I was told by a doctor where I work in Miami that  the feds will pay about  $130,000 per patient, on top of whatever insurance pays. I read earlier, from the CEO of Miami's large public hospital who was complaining, that it's about $103,000. And in NY,  much less, in Nebraska, much more. Some of these patients can be expensive to treat, so I'm not sure that's such a good deal. 

The point being that not all numbers are audited and there is potential for mistakes, fraud and misinformation. See the upward revision below in the Twitter feed of Miami's 2000 bed public Jackson Memorial Hospital, for COVID-19 patients discharged, about 3 days ago. The numbers of in-patients has plateaued, but remains high.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacksonHealth?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

"After reviewing our internal reports, we inadvertently failed to include some of our discharges in previous updates."

Finally visited family today. Had enough quarantine. Stayed in backyard all 6 ft apart although the kids definitely got closer. It was nice. 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Well again, I don’t know what the real number is, so it really isn’t meaningful to quote my guesswork.  Because that’s what it is - guesswork.

Based on my demographic, it would be really nice to know if my odds of dying (if infected) were 10%?  5%?  1%?  0.0001%?

That matters more to be, partly because it’s appears highly likely based on everything we know that we can’t get reinfected anytime soon if infected once....

But again, that’s just my take.  You clearly disagree, and that’s fine too.  
That's why I asked you to assign a death rate, and you said 0.5% to 2% (a factor of 4).  Now you are asking, what if the rate is between .0001% to 10% (a factor of 100,000)?  That's quite a jump, don't you think?  As I said, knowing the true death rate isn't that important, if it's in the ballpark of what we already think.  If the rate is off by the magnitudes that you are now suggesting, then yes, we need to know.

That's why I asked you to assign a death rate, and you said 0.5% to 2% (a factor of 4).  Now you are asking, what if the rate is between .0001% to 10% (a factor of 100,000)?  That's quite a jump, don't you think?  As I said, knowing the true death rate isn't that important, if it's in the ballpark of what we already think.  If the rate is off by the magnitudes that you are now suggesting, then yes, we need to know.
His demographic would have a different rate than the entire population.

Fyi, I think Alex is referring to the mortality rate fore someone exactly like him (i.e. age, gender, weight, underlying health status, etc.)  I don't believe he is altering his previous statement about the overall mortality at all.  Rather refining it for individual circumstances.  You do realize that providing a range for the overall mortality doesn't mean the fatality rate for EVERY group will fall within that range, right?

His demographic would have a different rate than the entire population.
I guess I am just befuddled. @lakerstan posted a link in here that said South Korean researchers working for the CDC say it's IMPOSSIBLE to be reinfected.  That news is monstrous, yet almost no one in here seemed to mention it.  Either:

- People didn't see it
- People don't think it's important
- People don't believe it

Which is it?

I guess I am just befuddled. @lakerstan posted a link in here that said South Korean researchers working for the CDC say it's IMPOSSIBLE to be reinfected.  That news is monstrous, yet almost no one in here seemed to mention it.  Either:

- People didn't see it

Which is it?
I actually thought something like that was posted yesterday or the day before. 

- People didn't see it

Which is it?
I had the same question yesterday. I assume you are talking about the Sky News article. It didn't say that it's impossible. It said South Korean scientists are saying all of their 277 cases were false positives. They were seeing "harmless dead traces" of the virus and thinking they were live traces.

I think the rest of the media might be waiting for the WHO to respond. I don't think they have altered their statement saying there is no evidence anywhere of immunity. Who knows, maybe they won't based on this news.

Fyi, I think Alex is referring to the mortality rate fore someone exactly like him (i.e. age, gender, weight, underlying health status, etc.)  I don't believe he is altering his previous statement about the overall mortality at all.  Rather refining it for individual circumstances.  You do realize that providing a range for the overall mortality doesn't mean the fatality rate for EVERY group will fall within that range, right?
Oh, you don't have to tell me about higher risk people.  I am over an overweight 50+ year old, with high cholesterol, mild diabetes, and a chain smoker with onset COPD.  I've been saving up for my very own ventilator to bring with me to the hospital if/when I get it.

You asked me the death rate.  I gave you an overall average, across all age groups.

I’d like to know the death rate for my demographic, whatever that means.  You appear to be looking to either argue or nitpick, and candidly, I have zero interest in that.

I had the same question yesterday. I assume you are talking about the Sky News article. It didn't say that it's impossible. It said South Korean scientists are saying all of their 277 cases were false positives. They were seeing "harmless dead traces" of the virus and thinking they were live traces.

I think the rest of the media might be waiting for the WHO to respond. I don't think they have altered their statement saying there is no evidence anywhere of immunity. Who knows, maybe they won't based on this news.
Yes, it did.  Here is the sentence...

Researchers at the South Korean centre for disease control and prevention (CDC) now say it is impossible for the COVID-19 virus to reactivate in human bodies.

How can this sentence be interpreted any other way?

Researchers at the South Korean centre for disease control and prevention (CDC) now say it is impossible for the COVID-19 virus to reactivate in human bodies.

I wonder if that implies just they same strain they previously had or from all strains that are out there.

Found a good explanation for the CDC "Provisional Data" that some folks are misinterpreting as the CDC "revising the death toll down". 

Created a PDF that explains what the two CDC sites are, and how they are actually in sync... in fact the CDC Audit is actually moving the totals slightly UP in most cases. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d96t2qthdhyzfc2/COVID_CDC_Data.pdf?dl=0

If anyone has any questions please fire away @ tag me. I've been too busy to keep up in here. 

Cheers! :banned:  

Movie theaters opening in Texas

I think it's too early for this, and that this is practically an unethical experiment on human subjects to see how well these new rules work.  

But

Interesting to see how they're planning to approach this. Plexiglass between seats.  Temperature checks.  Asking people if anyone in their family has been sick in the last 14 days. This may be the model for the rest of the country soon. 
I was talking to a friend the other day about all these reopenings, and I realized something: I don't miss eating in a restaurant so much as I miss being able to relax and enjoy myself in a restaurant. The thought of an experience where I have to wear a mask and spend the whole time looking over my shoulder to ensure that no one is too close to me doesn't seem worth it. If that's the choice, I'd much rather eat at home.

I'd say the same thing about going out to movie theaters.

Alex the Actuary gave a range of 0.5% to 2% that fits with normal statistical patterns.  I'd interpret what he stated as being a bell curve where that range covers - we're not sure - but maybe 90 to 95% of the likely outcomes.  A range of .0001% to 10% would cover more like 99 to 99.5% of the likely outcomes. I'd agree that 0.5% to 2% is a reasonable range.

--

Weekend numbers for Covid worldometers?  Yet about 83,000 new cases and 3,500 deaths.  Russia again with over 10,000 new cases.  Larger percentage increases throughout south and central america; middle east; the old SSR countries.  We'll cross a quarter million worldwide deaths (as reported) tomorrow.  

Not saying this is not a reason to go hard on mandatory masks ... but for some time after that order goes out locally, many cops will literally be spending all shift, every shift for months enforcing mask usage in private businesses. Mask-wearing here has rolled back a lot since Easter weekend.
I think then the answer is deterrence. A stiff penalty that propels businesses to enforce restrictions at their doors. Police could do random drop ins and write hefty fines and close down businesses in violation for a set period. Seems like something that would make the news when it happened and get everyone's attention. After all, we have a similar dynamic at play now with businesses required to shut their doors. Whenever one tries to defy it, it doesn't end well for the business and it often makes national news. That deterrent seems to be doing the trick
I don’t mean that businesses won’t comply — I meant consumers. People shopping at retail establishments. A good portion of them will have to be forced into mask usage, at least for the first few weeks or months.

And around here, there’s enough suburban poverty that the following are winning arguments:

”I can’t afford a mask”

“I can’t take time off work to get a mask”

“No stores around here have masks”.

Therefore, there will have to significant governmental push to make widespread mask usage happen. The honor system won’t be close to enough.

I stand corrected. I think I must have processed that as they don't think it can happen. I'm not sure where their data is that it cannot, other than that they haven't seen it. Whatever the case, I am with you in your enthusiasm. I was pretty geeked when my boss shared that during happy hour on Friday.

Tweet

Causing a stir in France this eve: Dr Yves Cohen says his hospital re-tested the blood of patients treated in December for pneumonia.. Found a man whose blood tested positive for #coronavirus This was 27 Dec. Before #COVIDー19 was thought to have arrived in France

Doug B said:
I don’t mean that businesses won’t comply — I meant consumers. People shopping at retail establishments. A good portion of them will have to be forced into mask usage, at least for the first few weeks or months.

And around here, there’s enough suburban poverty that the following are winning arguments:

”I can’t afford a mask”

“I can’t take time off work to get a mask”

“No stores around here have masks”.

Therefore, there will have to significant governmental push to make widespread mask usage happen. The honor system won’t be close to enough.
I'm sorry, but none of those are winning arguments.  Literally anything qualifies as a mask, right?  A turtleneck pulled over your nose and mouth, a paper towel, an old t-shirt, a bandanna.  Heck, my brother made one from an old sock.  You don't need money or time to have a mask.  So, now it's up to the business owner to police their establishment.  Are they willing to ask non-compliers to leave?  Why wouldn't they, if they know they could be shut down. 

I'll present you with another scenario.  I am your best friend, and you invite me to your house.  When I arrive, you tell me to wear a mask if I want to enter.  I say no, and enter anyways.  What would you do?

Tweet

Causing a stir in France this eve: Dr Yves Cohen says his hospital re-tested the blood of patients treated in December for pneumonia.. Found a man whose blood tested positive for #coronavirus This was 27 Dec. Before #COVIDー19 was thought to have arrived in France
Well there are only two options that I see. The antibody testing isn’t accurate, or our timelines are off by a few months.

Tweet

Very interesting.  Basic math would suggest at least a handful of cases (at a minimum) existed outside China back in December.  

I'm one of the non mask wearers,  If I have to wear a mask to enter an establishment I'll just stay home.
If you were asked by a business owner not to enter his/her establishment, and masks were required in your area, would you comply?

If you were asked by a business owner not to enter his/her establishment, and masks were required in your area, would you comply?
I would comply if I decided to go ahead and enter, but I would most likely choose to just leave and go somewhere else instead.  I 100% respect the wishes of a private business owner to decide what they feel are the best rules for safe practices in their own establishment, but do not believe the government should make it a requirement for going out in public.

I would comply if I decided to go ahead and enter, but I would most likely choose to just leave and go somewhere else instead.  I 100% respect the wishes of a private business owner to decide what they feel are the best rules for safe practices in their own establishment, but do not believe the government should make it a requirement for going out in public.
I think you misunderstood my question a bit.  If, in your area, masks are required to enter any building, will you mask up to enter any of them?  For example, in my area, you cannot enter any grocery store without a mask.

I went out to eat Friday evening and for lunch today.  None of the employees were wearing masks in either establishment.  I only saw 2 customers wearing masks.
Ah, I withdraw my question.  If masks aren't mandatory, you have every right.  Enjoy, and good luck.

I think you misunderstood my question a bit.  If, in your area, masks are required to enter any building, will you mask up to enter any of them?  For example, in my area, you cannot enter any grocery store without a mask.
Sorry, I did misunderstand that.  Today we tried to eat in one town only to be told there is a requirement (city government rule) to wear a mask while dining.  (Not sure how I'm supposed to eat while wearing a mask).  We were traveling and on the way home so we simply got back in the vehicle and drove 30 miles to the next town, which did not have a mask requirement.

The interesting part of our "story" today is that the restaurant we ate at was the same company we attempted to eat at in the first town.  Simply different rules in place in that town than the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went out to eat Friday evening and for lunch today.  None of the employees were wearing masks in either establishment.  I only saw 2 customers wearing masks.
I didn’t even realize there were restaurants in this country open for sit-down dining.  Shows you how clueless I am.  Enjoy the nights out and stay safe.

I didn’t even realize there were restaurants in this country open for sit-down dining.  Shows you how clueless I am.  Enjoy the nights out and stay safe.
I'm in Oklahoma, most opened up Friday.  Most are not allowing normal capacity and are officially asking customers to social distance but not really enforcing it from what I can tell.

Tweet

Is it normal for hospitals to save blood samples for months after originally testing them?

I think my co workers and I are at a point of frustration at this point. A lot of it has to deal with customers. Today I had a guy try to buy 4 things of the TP and had to explain to him it's a limit of 1. He gives me the "oh I'm not hoarding and I've been out for this long." I wanted to tell him there's a thing called rationing. This was 1st thing in the morning before my coffee. Then I had to explain to 4 people why they can't bring 25 items in the beer/wine express line. I was by myself and because of certifications I barely got my lunch till almost 2 hours before I had to leave (on an 8 hour shift mind you) and by 3PM I had a line of almost 25 people and only myself to ring people out. This was after we made a rule of because of the extra volume of customers now you had to have alcohol in order to get in the line or we'd have a line out the door. Fortunately most of the customers getting the products were very patient and following rules. The only issue I have is with the person who wants to give you change and holds up the line dinging for it so now people have to wait longer. Or those who want to take their grand ole time being on their phones instead of taking everything out needed for their transaction Money/ID?etc which hold up the lines too. 

I think the Masks are giving people issues. My mask is comfortable but when you can't get outside and take it off for a few mins and go back in it's the worst. Warmer weather today wasn't helping either as those things no matter what you wear still get hot. We are still well stocked but I feel like I'm talking to elementary school kids with some of these customers. It's amazing how dumbed down this country really is and how completely oblivious people are of their surroundings. I knew some of this already but given all this stuff with states shutting down it's become more obvious by the day. 

What about underpants? Should the government make rules (I think there called laws or something) that require citizens to cover their genitals?  How about consumption of alcohol on public property?  Cigarette smoking? What about my right to yell "fire" in a crowded building?  

My point is, this FEELS onerous because it is new.  But the government establishment of what you can and can't do on public property certainly isn't 

IvanKaramazov said:
I think the days of exclusive theatrical releases are either drawing to a close or already over.
Good. I'd rather be comfy in my own place. People who are now struggling with money are not going to the theatre any time soon after opening. That'll probably become like where brick and mortar book stores are now, rare. 

My wife works for a courier service and last night she got a phone call from one of her bosses offering a new route starting tomorrow. This route includes driving to two different cities and picking up Covid-19 test and driving them to MUSC in Charleston, SC 5 days a week. I'm sure this will go on for a while. She's going in this morning to negotiate wages. I told her to make sure that she ask for hazard pay. 

I'm not really sure what I think about all of this though. Definitely nervous. I'm sure that I will ride with her on some of my days off. 

I think the Masks are giving people issues. My mask is comfortable but when you can't get outside and take it off for a few mins and go back in it's the worst. Warmer weather today wasn't helping either as those things no matter what you wear still get hot. We are still well stocked but I feel like I'm talking to elementary school kids with some of these customers. It's amazing how dumbed down this country really is and how completely oblivious people are of their surroundings. I knew some of this already but given all this stuff with states shutting down it's become more obvious by the day. 
The cotton masks are still too warm. I'm always warm so this is tough on me. When standing out in the line I keep it off my nose. When I get in I'll wear it but if no one is around, it's off my nose. I cannot even imagine the workers who pull long shifts. The red lines on their faces looks painful. Poor things.  :(

TheWinz said:
Using your logic, this article is 100% false, correct?  After all, these are South Korean CDC researchers, and they are saying, with 100% certainty, that contracting the virus a second time is impossible.  Not highly unlikely, not for only a set amount of time - they are saying never ever again.
That isn't what the article says.

Recurrent viral infections can occur by a number of mechanisms: 

1. Reinfection due to an inadequate immune response to initial infection (related to viral and/or host factors, e.g. genetic susceptibility, immunosuppressive conditions or medications), or the virus evading the immune system. This would be a second infection with the same virus.

2. Reinfection due to a virus that has structurally mutated in the critical regions recognized by the first infection's antibodies. This would be a second infection due to a new strain.

3. Reinfection due to waning immunity. Antibody protection doesn't last forever, and the duration of immunity varies for different infections. This could also lead to a second infection with the original virus strain.

4. Reactivation of latent infection. Some viruses cause symptoms with initial infection, are temporarily contained by the immune system, but aren't completely killed off. A subset of viral populations hide out in areas inaccessible to the immune response. Years later they may reactivate, often when the immune system is impaired due to age, medications or concurrent medical conditions. Herpes, shingles and HIV are examples of reactivation of the original infection

The headline of the article is deceptive, implying none of these mechanisms is possible. But the meat of the article mostly refers to mechanism #4, and alludes to #2 not being evident on genetic analysis thus far. But they don't exclude that possibility altogether:

In the future it could be possible that the coronavirus mutates and infects people who have previously overcome it, similarly to the flu.
More importantly, there's nothing in the article that says #1 & #3 are impossible. And no reputable scientist would give 100% guarantee this early in our understanding of SARS-CoV-2 virology. Unlike "hard" sciences and math, medicine is rarely so cut and dry.

FTR, based on what we know about other coronavirus infections, I expect short-term reinfection is pretty unlikely. And early in this thread there were posts explaining SARS-CoV-2 mutates less rapidly than some other viruses, including other coronaviruses and influenza. Plus we don't have clear cut evidence of anyone infected twice. So hopefully our immune response can keep it at at bay a while, at least until a vaccine is developed.

Users who are viewing this thread