What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (16 Viewers)

I've been the laziest POS over the last month.  I give myself the benefit of the doubt for the first 3 weeks, but it's been very nice the last week.  I have done jack ####.  Gotta rake leaves and sticks, mow the yard, oil changes for the 2 cars, and generally just get my ### in gear.  Perhaps writing it down will give me the push I need...
Right there with you. I've also been pretty broke since late February, but I got approved for stimulus money on Saturday, and we finally got approved for our PPP loan today. Should finally be able to get made whole on salary for the year and pay off the CC.

I did buy some of those lawn clean-up bags from Lowe's today. I tried on Saturday, but that place was way too busy for me. Got in and out quickly today.

I'm in Oklahoma, most opened up Friday.  Most are not allowing normal capacity and are officially asking customers to social distance but not really enforcing it from what I can tell.
And we are ####ed
Oklahoma, might be OK to loosen up this way. Reason being is that culturally, people already live pretty distant from one another. There's little to no mass transit (I bet nothing outside of OKC, Tulsa, and maybe something minimal in Stillwater for OSU students).

Still bears watching, of course.

White House projecting 3,000deaths:day by early june
This is strange, because it also predicts 200k new cases daily, up from ~30k daily right now.

Why would cases rise so dramatically but deaths only rise 50% - 100%? I don't understand that.
Can you guys both link to what you're talking about?

200,000 cases and 3,000 deaths daily, at least from a mathematical standpoint, make sense together as estimates. That's a 1.5% CFR.
link

The two numbers are from different sources within the administration. "3000 deaths per day by early June" is from an internal White House memo. "200K cases per day" is from the DHS and HHS.

I've been the laziest POS over the last month.  I give myself the benefit of the doubt for the first 3 weeks, but it's been very nice the last week.  I have done jack ####.  Gotta rake leaves and sticks, mow the yard, oil changes for the 2 cars, and generally just get my ### in gear.  Perhaps writing it down will give me the push I need...
I  am with you. Granted I have been working from home and I can't step away from the computer for extended periods of time, but before all this, I can't even count how many times I have said, "Well if only I had the time, I would get to (insert project)." 

I have settled into a weird routine here that usually has a short afternoon nap built in. Then there is the nightly happy hour. 

Michigan is continuing to trend downward. Minnesota and Virginia are trending up at an alarming rate, almost like they don't even have a lockdown.

Also trending up: Texas, North Carolina, New Hampshire.

Trending down: Florida, Louisiana.
Minnesota ramp up is closely matching increased testing.  They’ve been testing a sizeable chunk of people each day for well over a week.  You can watch the tests/1M of population go up strongly each day......

Michigan is continuing to trend downward. Minnesota and Virginia are trending up at an alarming rate, almost like they don't even have a lockdown.

Also trending up: Texas, North Carolina, New Hampshire.

Trending down: Florida, Louisiana.
Re MN: Hard to tell how much of the increasing case count is due to increased testing. We're finally testing over 3k a day. Looks like ICU numbers went up quite a but I've the last few days but non- ICU hospitalization numbers have been holding somewhat steady. 

We've also had some outbreaks at meat packing plants, so I'm not sure how much of the increase is due to local hot spots versus general spread. Anecdotally, the MSP metro area seems pretty dead, but the home improvement stores are hopping. Some serious spring fever here, so increased cases and hospitalization wouldn't surprise me. 

per MN gov

Not convinced that plastering the nationwide death toll on CNN and other news outlets is actually productive or just serving to showcase a number on a screen.

This disease is local, it's regional, everyplace is dealing with different curves and different situations.

At first, sure, we didn't know as much. Now that we're learning a lot more each day, it doesn't appear to me that sensationalizing the fatalities nationwide is a meaningful metric.

Where are the fatalities coming from, how/where are they occurring, what are the hotspots, what can we focus on productively?  Seems like "2K died nationwide today" is completely unproductive. A lot of people may just figure "it's NY" still.

That article is not well written. The failed premise is to treat the US as one entity, or region. Everyone knows at this point that regions and states will be on their own curves, depending on when the virus appeared to grow exponentially, and the success/adherence of mitigation strategies (social distancing, no gatherings, really staying at home not faking it).

New York, as an example, is on a downward trend in new hospitalizations, net hospitalizations, and fatalities. They're on the decline of their full first curve, which can take roughly 56-77 days based on other countries.  The curve is bell shaped, but the declining slope is less steep than the inclining slope. It's tough.

If regions try to re-open before they are on the downside of their curve, then they're not being patient enough/prudent with the data, simple fact. If New York can come down off of high death tolls of 750-780 per day to now being under 300 for a few days in a row, then anyplace can do it. It takes discipline and patience, unfortunately neither of which seem to be ruling the day in a lot of places. You can't just skip the steps. "Oh, we stayed home though." Really? Or did you pretend. The data doesn't lie.
At risk of excusing politicians and citizens in lightly impacted parts of the country, it seems to me that WITH a substantial shutdown, WITHOUT strong local leadership/messaging and WITHOUT a highly visible HC impact (i.e. high death per capita, overburdened hospitals, etc.) that these parts of the country are likely to fair quite badly over the coming months.  Here in the Boston area people are tired of being locked down (and we had among the lightest SiP advisories - nothing like Michigan) while weather has been mediocre and we've all known people who have been impacted (ill, hospitalized, or killed)...and STILL I hear people not recognizing that the situation is MORE dangerous now than it was 6 weeks ago.  As such, I can't imagine what it would take to get a Texan to comply with self-imposed social distancing measures.  IOW, I think some parts of this country locked down too soon and now having shot their wad will be hard pressed to deal with the coming reality.  Luckily lower population density and warmer weather should help.  But suffice to say, this next wave is gonna be alot worse than the first because it will be happening nearly everywhere (like lots of break-out fires, not a single forest fire) over the next month(s).    

As always, just my opinion.

I'm in Oklahoma, most opened up Friday.  Most are not allowing normal capacity and are officially asking customers to social distance but not really enforcing it from what I can tell.
I also live in Oklahoma, I feel we have different version of 'most'.  There's a lot of restaurants around me that do not yet have dining rooms open.  I dare say most do not have dining rooms open.  Hal Smith places are all open but only allow half capacity.

Trend seems to be small local ones are open to dining.  Larger 'regional' and national chains are not open to dining.

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Tweet

Causing a stir in France this eve: Dr Yves Cohen says his hospital re-tested the blood of patients treated in December for pneumonia.. Found a man whose blood tested positive for #coronavirus This was 27 Dec. Before #COVIDー19 was thought to have arrived in France
My youngest daughter and a few other kids we are aware of had a bad fever / cough in January. My daughter was home three days with a high fever. Then two additional days of a nasty cough. Many others share the same stories. Tested negative for flu. 

• Smile
I see this a lot in my area too, re: masks.  Doesn't matter if it will help people out who need it, people just don't want too.  They'll dress it up in "freedom" or something, but it comes down to laziness, thoughtlessness or carelessness.  Funny thing too is they'll cite the CDC early guidelines  against mask-wearing in early March.  But, everything else mainstream science based is the devil and not to be trusted because of some sort of radical agenda on controlling us. It sucks even though it will directly help my wife and elderly parents and in-laws.  Its hard not to be down on humanity at times.
And undoubtedly some of these same people will be begging for help as they get put into ICU, have permanent lung damage, lose loved ones, etc. It's all about "muh freedum", until it isn't.

Not convinced that plastering the nationwide death toll on CNN and other news outlets is actually productive or just serving to showcase a number on a screen.

This disease is local, it's regional, everyplace is dealing with different curves and different situations.

At first, sure, we didn't know as much. Now that we're learning a lot more each day, it doesn't appear to me that sensationalizing the fatalities nationwide is a meaningful metric.

Where are the fatalities coming from, how/where are they occurring, what are the hotspots, what can we focus on productively?  Seems like "2K died nationwide today" is completely unproductive. A lot of people may just figure "it's NY" still.
Yes and no. It make sense to have loosened restrictions in areas with a much lower incidence so far and for areas that are more rural with less interaction. At the same time, we know this thing can spread like wildfire and a place in the middle of nowhere can suddenly have hundreds or thousands of cases thanks to everyone working in the same meat processing facility or whatever. If people in areas that aren’t hit now just shrug their shoulders and live life as normal because they see it as a NYC or Boston thing, there’s a chance they’ll pay the price eventually.

I don't even know where to get a mask.

Luckily I got a couple fishing face covers 
Had to go to Target over the weekend to get laundry stuff, and they actually have the only brand the wife is not allergic to. They were selling 50 packs of surgical masks for $38  and had a surprising amount of them.

I also live in Oklahoma, I feel we have different version of 'most'.  There's a lot of restaurants around me that do not yet have dining rooms open.  I dare say most do not have dining rooms open.  Hal Smith places are all open but only allow half capacity.

Trend seems to be small local ones are open to dining.  Larger 'regional' and national chains are not open to dining.
I have not noticed any  restaurant that is still closed since Friday outside of a few who are not planning to open again ever d/t financial reasons.  My guess is this is highly dependent on the city.  Tried to eat at Braums in Guthrie yesterday and was told we must wear masks.  Drove to Perry and ate with no problems.  Even the employees were not wearing masks.  They did have  a sign on every other table not to sit there.

Agreed ... and as for the part in red: you can take out the "may". Around here -- again, even being in a recognized hot spot (New Orleans metro) -- a lot of people definitely view COVID as "somewhere else's problem". Seems too many people feel like if they're not in New York City or in a nursing home, they're home free.

This is strange, because it also predicts 200k new cases daily, up from ~30k daily right now.

Why would cases rise so dramatically but deaths only rise 50% - 100%? I don't understand that.
Testing increases. Until testing gets ramped up and more consistent, any trend in positives is largely irrelevant. If you go from testing 100 people per day to 1000, of course you’re gonna see more positives but it doesn’t necessarily mean an increase in spread.

New hospitalizations, new ICU and deaths are the numbers to look at now.

The death projections is much more concerning. If they believe that we will see 3000 deaths per day day in early June, our totals by the end of summer will be horrible. Assuming that we see a ramp up to that number, a conservative average would be 2000/day for the rest of May. Then in early June if we hit that 3000/day and stay there for 10 days followed by 10 days at 2000 and another 10 at 1000 that will put us at 100k by June and 175k by July.

My hope was that we were approaching our overall peak with the plateau continuing and a decline towards the end of May. This change is horrible, let’s hope they are wrong.

Here in the Boston area people are tired of being locked down (and we had among the lightest SiP advisories - nothing like Michigan) while weather has been mediocre and we've all known people who have been impacted (ill, hospitalized, or killed)...and STILL I hear people not recognizing that the situation is MORE dangerous now than it was 6 weeks ago.
Similar here. When I saw Steve Tasker's taking-it-serious post earlier today, I thought maybe his take was fairly representative of the Northeastern metro areas. But your post makes it sound like even for a region as seemingly tight as the Boston-DC corridor, the socio-cultural situation is complicated.

• Smile

It continues to incite the response they are looking for. Also provides fodder for the states struggling with extending lockdowns. 

I don't even know where to get a mask.

Luckily I got a couple fishing face covers 
We got cloth masks made for us two weeks ago by a family friend. Good timing, too ... because the one N95 mask I had been using over and over since mid-March finally got too loose to even make a marginal seal.

What I'm getting to is that for a short while, I was wondering what we were going to do about face coverings if they ever became mandated by a new local law with little notice. One fallback we had was to cover from mid-nose down with some slightly too-tight T-shirts we have. The neckholes are tight enough to stay put after slipping over our heads and then yanking them down to cover our noses and mouths. Basically, a makeshift form of fishing face covers.

How many cases have been actually been traced back to their source? It’s true that grocery stores haven’t been work place hotspots like meat packing plants but it’s impossible to know if grocery stores are sources of infections without extensive and intense contact tracing. I’d imagine a pretty high percentage of positive cases have no clue where they got it from.
Not nearly enough testing going on or contact research being conducted to pinpoint a source right now....not even close.  The only way this happens under current circumstances is if MANY people ONLY went to a specific location, they offer that information to their doctor and there is some centralized place analyzing all the reports coming in.  That may be happening in some parts of the country.  That's not happening here in Florida.

I dont know? All these doctors and nurses and microbiologists and immunologists and epidemiologists and other researchers keep saying COVID is dangerous, but a couple guys I knew in high-school that barely passed science class are saying it's not any more dangerous than the regular flu. It's so hard to know who to believe anymore.  :shrug:

I dont know? All these doctors and nurses and microbiologists and immunologists and epidemiologists and other researchers keep saying COVID is dangerous, but a couple guys I knew in high-school that barely passed science class are saying it's not any more dangerous than the regular flu. It's so hard to know who to believe anymore.  :shrug:
Good people on both sides, really tough to sift through the info...

I chatted with a neighbor yesterday, a doctor.  He mentioned two elderly patients who are battling the virus despite sheltering at home.  However, their son is a postal worker and somehow transmitted the disease to his parents.  A woman I work with shared with me that a friend of hers - a nurse - has been self-isolating at home as a precaution.  But her husband became infected and died from Covid.  They have a seven year old son.

I hear isolated stories like these; I see world maps showing Covid in basically every country around the globe; I see U.S. maps showing the virus has reached virtually every county.  It's more dangerous than the flu.  

Good people on both sides, really tough to sift through the info...
Really comes down to common sense

Doug B said:
I don’t mean that businesses won’t comply — I meant consumers. People shopping at retail establishments. A good portion of them will have to be forced into mask usage, at least for the first few weeks or months.

And around here, there’s enough suburban poverty that the following are winning arguments:

”I can’t afford a mask”

“I can’t take time off work to get a mask”

“No stores around here have masks”.

Therefore, there will have to significant governmental push to make widespread mask usage happen. The honor system won’t be close to enough.
I'm sorry, but none of those are winning arguments.  Literally anything qualifies as a mask, right?  A turtleneck pulled over your nose and mouth, a paper towel, an old t-shirt, a bandanna.  Heck, my brother made one from an old sock.  You don't need money or time to have a mask.  So, now it's up to the business owner to police their establishment.  Are they willing to ask non-compliers to leave?  Why wouldn't they, if they know they could be shut down. 
What I was getting at is that locally there might only be weak political will to use the force of law to encourage mask usage. The reason that political will locally won't be stronger (even in a deep-blue town like New Orleans) is that there will be a lot of hand-wringing over how hard it is for some to acquire masks, how people w/o Internet access can't order them online, and so on. It will be another log on the perpetually-burning "haves vs. have-nots" fire around here.

Frankly, if a "mask required" law is ever passed locally it's almost certainly going to contain a provision for businesses and/or the local government to supply masks. I agree with you about using old shirts and other items for make-do face coverings. I'm just giving you the lay of the land locally.

Saw that on FB too.  ;)

I chatted with a neighbor yesterday, a doctor.  He mentioned two elderly patients who are battling the virus despite sheltering at home.  However, their son is a postal worker and somehow transmitted the disease to his parents.  A woman I work with shared with me that a friend of hers - a nurse - has been self-isolating at home as a precaution.  But her husband became infected and died from Covid.  They have a seven year old son.

I hear isolated stories like these; I see world maps showing Covid in basically every country around the globe; I see U.S. maps showing the virus has reached virtually every county.  It's more dangerous than the flu.  
Are there still people arguing against this?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was getting at is that locally there might only be weak political will to use the force of law to encourage mask usage. The reason that political will locally won't be stronger (even in a deep-blue town like New Orleans) is that there will be a lot of hand-wringing over how hard it is for some to acquire masks, how people w/o Internet access can't order them online, and so on. It will be another log on the perpetually-burning "haves vs. have-nots" fire around here.

Frankly, if a "mask required" law is ever passed locally it's almost certainly going to contain a provision for businesses and/or the local government to supply masks. I agree with you about using old shirts and other items for make-do face coverings. I'm just giving you the lay of the land locally.
This poor guy was just trying to do his job Link

Are there still people arguing against this?
Yes, unfortunately. I've mentioned the gf and her job in home healthcare sales. They had a 30 person, face to face sales meeting today because the d-bag CEO said, "if the beaches are open, we're open." Michael Scott could run a business better than these idiots, but this has to be the dumbest thing I've seen from them to date. 

Also spent some time trying to convince some guy from Nashville it wasn't a good thing he saw restaurants "packed" and "filled" last weekend when he got out... "no masks anywhere."

Saw a thread on Rivals.com last week where "a resident lib" asked if people were willing to go sit in a packed stadium right now to watch football, and like the politically motivated threads here run, it was 86% on yes with those guys. I tried arguing with some of them today like this: "if you want to stick it to libs and prove we should have never shut down as much as we did, why wouldn't you at least take some minor precautions with social distancing during the reopen?" Their favorite line is, "I'm not old or fat, so why should I care?" I got that response plenty of times today. 

Edit: I don't like using ignore. Tried it once on a message board, and it was a disaster. I'm on double digits now with that forum, I think. All flubros just spamming away with the same, idiotic, recycled hot takes.

Don’t think the government needs to supply masks. I’ve just been using some women’s panties I’ve had lying around. They work great and are very breathable. And I mean who doesn’t have a few extra pairs of these?

Users who are viewing this thread