What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** COVID-19 CoronaVirus Thread. Fresh epidemic fears as child pneumonia cases surge in Europe after China outbreak. NOW in USA (23 Viewers)

It's ~20% of the US population. Add that to the percentage of people under 65 with pre-existing conditions (I posted stats for obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease several hundred pages ago) you should quickly realize we're talking about a big chunk of the population with increased risk from SARS-CoV-2.
My point was the overwhelming majority of middle to upper middle class families do not live with grandparents, and your number of around 20% verifies that.  We have to assume most of those 20% come from lower income families, making the 20% even lower for families with higher incomes.  It's just common sense.

I noticed you added in people with pre-existing conditions, but that wasn't part of the discussion we were having.  It was about multi-generational families.

I know you all enjoy my updates on Connecticut, so here goes...

Deaths - 4120 overall, 23 yesterday, 131 in past week
Downward trend continues.  Averaging under 18 daily deaths in the first 10 days of June.  The last 10 days of May we averaged over 36 daily deaths, and the 10 day period before that it was 57 deaths.

Hospitalizations - Currently sitting at 270, a decrease of 23 since yesterday
Impressive numbers, when you factor in we are the 4th most densely populated state, and we are in New England.  My specific county is New London, in southeastern CT.  My county would rank 9th in density if it were a state, and we have a mere 8 hospitalizations at the moment.

Cases/Tests - 44347 out of 315014 (14.1%)
At first glance, that percentage looks bad.  But since June 1st, the percentage is down to 3.3% (2146 out of 64968).  We were at a 9% rate in May (13437 out of 149789), and a 30% rate in April (24143 out of 80533).

Rt Live - Currently sitting at .81
Not really a fan of the website, because some states look bad on the site, but aren't spiking in cases like you'd expect.  Still, I guess it's just another tool in the toolbox.  Anyways, Connecticut has been well under the national average for 6 straight weeks, and the new cases/hospitalizations tend to back that up.

Next to open up in Connecticut, on 17 June:
- Amusement parks, bowling alleys, gyms and fitness studios, hotels, libraries, nail salons, restaurants (inside dining), spas, tattoo parlors, and theaters
I don't expect much of a surge in hospitalizations or deaths when these places open.  The main reason is age.  60% of CT's COVID deaths are over 80 years old, with another 22% over 70.  Not too many 75 year old's riding roller coasters these days.

Unfortunately, the largest differentiator seems to be, not income, but the political party one supports
That may be accurate in general. It isn’t for me, but clearly is for some. 

My point was someone who can work from home and make a close to or equivalent income to their normal salary would be more inclined to support a second shutdown versus say, a bartender or waitress. 

Same idea applies to personal situations for people who have had friends or family succumb to the virus or live in more densely populated areas versus people who haven’t or don’t. 

Someone who refuses to wear a mask or gets two feet away from other people and coughs? Sure, they’re “selfish.” But, don’t call others selfish or uncaring because they can’t make an income from the safety of their home. 

My point was the overwhelming majority of middle to upper middle class families do not live with grandparents, and your number of around 20% verifies that.  We have to assume most of those 20% come from lower income families, making the 20% even lower for families with higher incomes.  It's just common sense.

I noticed you added in people with pre-existing conditions, but that wasn't part of the discussion we were having.  It was about multi-generational families.
A large segment of the population is either elderly, has a preexisting medical condition(s) which increases their mortality risk from COVID-19, and/or lives with someone in one of the first two groups.  They can’t all avoid human interaction indefinitely.

Luckily I’m none of the above, but as a healthcare worker I’m high risk, too. So please, please use your common sense to help curb the pandemic, and stop letting healthy young people off the hook.

Your stats are for the older generations, I assume?  I found these numbers from 2014, for people aged 1 thru 44:

10 leading causes of death
1) Unintentional injury - 47,937
2) Suicide - 18,782
3) Cancer - 17,633
4) Heart disease - 15,002
5) Homicide - 11,534
6) Liver disease - 3,337
7) Diabetes - 2,919
😎 Stroke - 2,622
9) Influenza and pneumonia - 2,080
10) Birth defects - 1,961

According to the CDC, there have been 2,426 deaths in 2020 due to COVID for people under 45, as of just a few days ago.  But if you break it down further...

Under 1 year old - 5 COVID deaths = No way 5 deaths makes the top 10 list
Ages 1 thru 4 - 3 COVID deaths = No way 3 deaths makes the top 10 list
Ages 5 thru 14 - 13 COVID deaths = No way 13 deaths makes the top 10 list
Ages 15 thru 24 - 116 COVID deaths = Still nowhere near the top, but perhaps top 10 now
Ages 25 thru 34 - 640 COVID deaths = Again, not close to the top, but surely in the top 10
Ages 35 thru 44 - 1,649 COVID deaths = Not only top 10, but likely pushing top 5

So yeah, COVID will be a leading cause of death in 2020, but not necessarily for all age groups.  It preys on the elderly, not the younger generations.

My stats are for everyone, as I’m not writing off large swaths of the population.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your stats are for the older generations, I assume?  I found these numbers from 2014, for people aged 1 thru 44:

10 leading causes of death
1) Unintentional injury - 47,937
2) Suicide - 18,782
3) Cancer - 17,633
4) Heart disease - 15,002
5) Homicide - 11,534
6) Liver disease - 3,337
7) Diabetes - 2,919
😎 Stroke - 2,622
9) Influenza and pneumonia - 2,080
10) Birth defects - 1,961

According to the CDC, there have been 2,426 deaths in 2020 due to COVID for people under 45, as of just a few days ago.  But if you break it down further...

Under 1 year old - 5 COVID deaths = No way 5 deaths makes the top 10 list
Ages 1 thru 4 - 3 COVID deaths = No way 3 deaths makes the top 10 list
Ages 5 thru 14 - 13 COVID deaths = No way 13 deaths makes the top 10 list
Ages 15 thru 24 - 116 COVID deaths = Still nowhere near the top, but perhaps top 10 now
Ages 25 thru 34 - 640 COVID deaths = Again, not close to the top, but surely in the top 10
Ages 35 thru 44 - 1,649 COVID deaths = Not only top 10, but likely pushing top 5

So yeah, COVID will be a leading cause of death in 2020, but not necessarily for all age groups.  It preys on the elderly, not the younger generations.

I think he was talking about PEOPLE

I think he was talking about PEOPLE
Was just putting it into perspective a bit.  If you see above, suicide was the #2 killer of people under 45.  Babies are part of that group, but I highly doubt we are having a baby suicide epidemic.

@shader

Here's one of the many things I've seen that leads me to believe we aren't turning back.  This sentiment seems to be the rule...not the exception.
Yup.  Any business that is told to shut their doors a second time and does not comply, who exactly will enforce it?  No one, nada, zip, zilch.  With all that's going on right now, I could probably open a brothel next to my local church, and the local cops would be afraid to come bust me.

Yup.  Any business that is told to shut their doors a second time and does not comply, who exactly will enforce it?  No one, nada, zip, zilch.  With all that's going on right now, I could probably open a brothel next to my local church, and the local cops would be afraid to come bust me.
Our police enforce our rules and have been this whole time.  Though, we've not been "shut down" like a lot of the country has.  But I expect them to keep enforcing the rules until we are at the "there are no rules" phase which is just around the corner.

My wife works for a property management company. One of her staff, an early 60's (don't remember exact age) contracted COVID a couple weeks ago. All around good guy, loved by everyone that works with him. Raising their 6 year old grandson who's mother had been an addict while being pregnant with him. As you can guess, the kid has some issues. Anyway, Grandpa get sick, doesn't think it is COVID and goes to work. The staff there immediately sent him home told him he looked like hell and go to hospital. Luckily he didn't make it much past the door and no one else caught it. He ended up in intensive care about a week ago on a ventilator. We organized people putting together some care baskets for his wife and the kid. His kidneys were failing, but he was able to improve kidney-wise enough to get off dialysis or whatever they were doing to treat the kidney failure. I don't know all the care specifics.

I woke up today to my wife on the phone telling the maintenance supervisor "lets make sure she has access to his 401K account, payroll, anything she needs. Lets pull ourselves together and I'll let everyone know."  He didn't make it through the night last night.  I think he had a history of high blood pressure and he was African American (which is kind of a double-whammy for COVID).

I didn't know the guy personally so I can't say that I "knew him", but that is the 6th person that either myself or my wife personally knows that has fell to this virus. 

It is hard to bite my tongue with the "Just a flu" guys. And I've supported opening things back up. People need to work as well. But dammit people. This is NOT just a freaking flu. I've told the story in here of one of our facilities closing down and having to be deep cleaned because of an outbreak. Know what we never had to clean up? The FLU. 

There is absolutely NO REASON we can't open things back up AND institute some precautions. Other than believing that it is some super conspiracy to inflate hospital payments, or somehow affect elections.  Too many people act as if this is a #LockItAllDown vs. #OpenUpNoMasks all or nothing debate. 

The Commish said:
@shader

Here's one of the many things I've seen that leads me to believe we aren't turning back.  This sentiment seems to be the rule...not the exception.
I agree that's the mentality now but I can't imagine the same being the case if we have an explosion of cases this Fall/Winter and we see huge outbreaks in schools.  And I'm not predicting that will happen - I have no clue - but I imagine politicians will have to react if it gets bad enough.

The Commish said:
@shader

Sigh, such terrible logic in that article. I still think they will change their minds, but it will be far too late.

I agree that's the mentality now but I can't imagine the same being the case if we have an explosion of cases this Fall/Winter and we see huge outbreaks in schools.  And I'm not predicting that will happen - I have no clue - but I imagine politicians will have to react if it gets bad enough.
There is only 1 way we are shutting back down - if the virus starts killing younger people at a higher rate than it is right now.  If COVID took the lives of every single person over 80 who contracted it, we would still not shut back down.

Gustavo Fring said:
Re-open everything almost completely - shelter in place if you are elderly or at risk.  Otherwise it's time to let people get back to semi-normal.  
I'm good with more things opening slowly but the problem I always have with someone saying the bolded is that's like 50% of the population - it's virtually impossible to SIP 50% of us.

There is only 1 way we are shutting back down - if the virus starts killing younger people at a higher rate than it is right now.  If COVID took the lives of every single person over 80 who contracted it, we would still not shut back down.
I find that impossible to believe - I guess anything is possible but that would mean we are far beyond what happened months ago and we shut down then.  At some point people will realize the economy will get devastated either way if that happens.

I think we wouldn't budge for 100 over 80 and 50% over 65.

If there was a vax on the horizon. Maybe. But there isn't.   Time to move on.  People will die.  It happens.  

Next step probably will be hospicing 80+ on admission. That might change some minds.  Doubt it though.  

Still think people need to mask up inside everywhere.  Makes sense.  Don't really get the pushback there.  

I'm good with more things opening slowly but the problem I always have with someone saying the bolded is that's like 50% of the population - it's virtually impossible to SIP 50% of us.
I'll agree that part was poorly worded.  I don't think the at risk need to completely shelter in place, but I do think the at risk population needs to take extra precautions.  I'm mostly for re-opening so small businesses do not continue to struggle, but everyone will need to exercise some caution to a degree, which I think we have (for the most part) been doing a good job of already through social distancing measures.  I just think we can get back to a somewhat normal now that a lot of the population is in a habit of knowing when and how to social distance themselves in certain settings. 

Re-open everything almost completely - shelter in place if you are elderly or at risk.  Otherwise it's time to let people get back to semi-normal.  

The problem I have is the other 50% either live with, or come in contact with, someone elderly or at risk.  Therefore, every single person on the planet needs to SIP.

As I said to shader, you guys have more faith in our politicians than I do.  That is NOT a bad thing by the way.  I wish I could view them that way. :thumbup:  

The problem I have is the other 50% either live with, or come in contact with, someone elderly or at risk.  Therefore, every single person on the planet needs to SIP.
That seems high.  Would depend on your definition of elderly.  The only person in that category for me has been locked away like a criminal.  Imagine she'll die of lonliness soon. So it's not like some of that demographic hasn't been locked away 

I'm not sure if we are saying the same thing or not - I'm just saying, you can't really SIP 50% of us so we can't tell at-risk people to SIP.  Unless we change the definition of at-risk to just be those who are high on the at-risk scale.

You speak for 50 governors and thousands of mayors, I see. What do you predict they do when nurses and doctors are dying and hospitals are overrun?

As I said to shader, you guys have more faith in our politicians than I do.  That is NOT a bad thing by the way.  I wish I could view them that way. :thumbup:  
Well, I can't say I've ever been accused of that.  Lol.  I think I'm just pointing out that I don't think someone can say it's impossible and we won't.  If I had given you a list of things five years ago that has happened in 2020, I think you would have said there's no way those things will happen.

Well, I can't say I've ever been accused of that.  Lol.  I think I'm just pointing out that I don't think someone can say it's impossible and we won't.  If I had given you a list of things five years ago that has happened in 2020, I think you would have said there's no way those things will happen.
Oh, I'm not saying it's impossible.  I'm saying they won't do it....I just don't see it.  They may target specific groups (and yes, I will point out the irony over and over again when they do), but I don't see them going further than that, especially here in Florida.  I mean, we continue to go up in all the problem areas, according to the "guidelines" and we haven't even flinched at reopening.  What's "meaningful" has changed about 50 times in the last three months.

TheWinz said:
I know you all enjoy my updates on Connecticut, so here goes...

Deaths - 4120 overall, 23 yesterday, 131 in past week
Downward trend continues.  Averaging under 18 daily deaths in the first 10 days of June.  The last 10 days of May we averaged over 36 daily deaths, and the 10 day period before that it was 57 deaths.

Hospitalizations - Currently sitting at 270, a decrease of 23 since yesterday
Impressive numbers, when you factor in we are the 4th most densely populated state, and we are in New England.  My specific county is New London, in southeastern CT.  My county would rank 9th in density if it were a state, and we have a mere 8 hospitalizations at the moment.

Cases/Tests - 44347 out of 315014 (14.1%)
At first glance, that percentage looks bad.  But since June 1st, the percentage is down to 3.3% (2146 out of 64968).  We were at a 9% rate in May (13437 out of 149789), and a 30% rate in April (24143 out of 80533).

Rt Live - Currently sitting at .81
Not really a fan of the website, because some states look bad on the site, but aren't spiking in cases like you'd expect.  Still, I guess it's just another tool in the toolbox.  Anyways, Connecticut has been well under the national average for 6 straight weeks, and the new cases/hospitalizations tend to back that up.

Next to open up in Connecticut, on 17 June:
- Amusement parks, bowling alleys, gyms and fitness studios, hotels, libraries, nail salons, restaurants (inside dining), spas, tattoo parlors, and theaters
I don't expect much of a surge in hospitalizations or deaths when these places open.  The main reason is age.  60% of CT's COVID deaths are over 80 years old, with another 22% over 70.  Not too many 75 year old's riding roller coasters these days.
Your last point ignores the problem. Those younger people will be getting infected and then spreading the virus exponentially to others including those 75 year olds.

Gustavo Fring said:
Username seems to fit the attitude of this post.

If there was a vax on the horizon. Maybe. But there isn't.   Time to move on.  People will die.  It happens.  

Next step probably will be hospicing 80+ on admission. That might change some minds.  Doubt it though.  

Still think people need to mask up inside everywhere.  Makes sense.  Don't really get the pushback there.  
Are we assuming that the other age range deaths remain as they are now?  Even so, I still just find it hard to imagine 6-8 M people die and we just go on business as usual.

I'd say there's a greater than 90% chance of a very bad fall/winter. I would not want to need a hospital with the double whammy of flu and covid.

I'd say there's a greater than 90% chance of a very bad fall/winter. I would not want to need a hospital with the double whammy of flu and covid.
I think so too but then the question is what is "very bad" to you vs. "very bad" to others.  I mean, culdeus thinks we could have several million people die and we will just go on as usual.  I won't say he's wrong - maybe I'll be surprised but I'm guessing very bad for some folks is that younger people start dying in higher numbers.

What if hospital workers en masse say screw it and refuse to show up for work unless there's a heavy shutdown effort? I can seriously see that happening. You can only push people so far and many healthcare workers are still reeling from the first wave. What happens when the second wave is worse, combined with flu?

I am opposite end of this.  10% chance of a very bad fall/winter imo.
Interesting. What actions have you seen taken that make you think that? We seem to be done with quarantine. Look at the 1918 flu. That next winter was devastating compared to the first round. We better have a vaccine in early 2020 because it's not looking good.

What if hospital workers en masse say screw it and refuse to show up for work unless there's a heavy shutdown effort? I can seriously see that happening. You can only push people so far and many healthcare workers are still reeling from the first wave. What happens when the second wave is worse, combined with flu?
Let people die.  This isn't hard.  Make your bed and lie in it something something personal responsibility.  

Interesting. What actions have you seen taken that make you think that? We seem to be done with quarantine. Look at the 1918 flu. That next winter was devastating compared to the first round. We better have a vaccine in early 2020 because it's not looking good.
Trump says it, therefore...

It's very possible that you're right.  I hope you aren't.

To be clear, I'm not advocating anything here.  I get why many businesses need to open up.  There are a ton of industries that are crumbling.  I think that the fake growth in the stock market has overshadowed the problems in the economy.  

I think there are many positives:

1. In many parts of the country many are wearing masks

2. Much greater attention to hygiene and hand-washing by businesses and people should lead to all viruses having a lower R0 factor (if we keep it up)

3. Travel will continue to be way down.  My company (very large, massive travel budget) isn't travelling for 2020.  That should limit the spread.

If we're being positive, there are many reasons to hope that this never reproduces at anything that even resembles the February/March spread.

The negatives:

1. Many people think the virus is a hoax, don't care, want to open up, and claim that they won't abide by future shutdown orders.

2. There are 1.1 million reported active cases.  This number might be too high, due to states that haven't properly reported closed cases, but that's probably offset by cases not being reported.

3. If we double every 2 weeks instead of 4 days, the same thing happens, it just takes longer.  It's absolutely key to stop the R from getting significantly higher than 1.  If it gets higher, it will spread everywhere eventually.

Is there any other country having this conversation about letting the old people die so that the rest of us can live our lives normally? Or is this unique to us?

Users who are viewing this thread