What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

Thinking back to the early 80s and my earliest memories of songs that were on the "modern" radio stations, and not my parents music...

People are People (DM) and Shout (Tears for Fears).

People, I think we need to prepare ourselves for the likelihood that The Normal does not appear on this list. Remain calm, do not crash your cars (unless you're into that kind of thing).

I would read that list.  "World in My Eyes" is number 1 for me.  "Somebody" was the song for the first dance at my wedding.  Some of their more recent stuff gets overlooked as well.
My personal favorite is Shake The Disease. Would not make the top 50 list for anyone (but me),  but that song does it for me.

4. “In Between Days” The Cure (1985, from The Head on the Door

https://youtu.be/EDMDb8unsIA

This might be the prettiest melody on this entire list. A near perfect pop song with perhaps the best instrumental intro as well. 

I was a big fan of the early Cure and I wish I had the room to put more of their songs on this list. Among my favorites, in no particular order: 

Love Cats 

Close to You 

Jumping Someone Else’s Train 

10:15 

Caterpillar 

Let’s Go to Bed  
Great song. Great album. I could put 10 Cure songs in my personal New Wave Top 100 list.

Best pop song on Head on the Door is "A Night Like This" in my opinion.
My 2nd favorite Cure song after Push. So. Damn. Good.

6. “Love Will Tear Us Apart” Joy Division (1980, released as a single) 

https://youtu.be/zuuObGsB0No

One of the most tragic songs of any genre of popular music. Guy writes about the breakup of his marriage and thoughts of suicide, and then he commits suicide even before the song is released. 

Lyrically, this is arguably the best song on this entire list. There is enormous poetic talent on display here which makes the whole thing sadder still. 

A few years ago British folk artists June Tabor and Oyaterband recorded a slow acoustic version of this song which fleshes out the words and melody. I find it sublime: 

https://youtu.be/7-pWSHTQOFs
100 thumbs up on this selection.

3. “I Melt With You” Modern English (1982, from After the Snow

https://youtu.be/LuN6gs0AJls

When I think of New Wave, this is invariably the first song I think of. I was astonished to learn that it was featured in the film Valley Girl and not in one of the classic Molly Ringwald teen movies- it just has that Molly Ringwald feel to it. So early 80s. Anyhow I knew immediately it would have to be in my top 5. 

That Cure song is decent, but top 5-worthy? No freaking way. 

I Melt with You is a very good song. Not one of my favorites, but I get why it's top 3 here. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Pardon the interruption:  @timschochet We need a greatest sumpin' sumpin' draft to see us through these dark times, and you're just the person to oversee it - with lots of judging. 

If we're gonna be working from home, right?

When I think of New Wave, this is invariably the first song I think of. I was astonished to learn that it was featured in the film Valley Girl and not in one of the classic Molly Ringwald teen movies- it just has that Molly Ringwald feel to it. So early 80s. Anyhow I knew immediately it would have to be in my top 5. 
:wub:

Great tune, but astonished?  You didn’t see that movie when it came out?

Ghost Rider said:
That Cure song is decent, but top 5-worthy? No freaking way. . 
You might be flying solo on this take, my man.
A Cure song must be top 5 in a New Wave countdown, and this song is the quintessential, post-punk, energetic vibe from their best album. 

all with a giant "IMHO"

Damn, Tim. Top 8 is killing it so far. All are worthy. Can't believe you didn't know I Melt With You was in Valley Girl. That was my go-to makeout movie all through the ages of 18-28, with every single girlfriend I ever had. Never met a gal who didn't love that movie. 

Here's another great new wave tune from that film, by a group on your list.

Joy Division was an inspiring, brilliant choice. I have never been able to get a solid handle on the definition of post-punk, but I damn well know that Joy Division is the epitome of it.

I seem to recall a poster saying he worked in an office building in NYC with the lead singer of Modern English years after Melt With You was a hit. 

This was a long time ago, maybe back on Old Yeller, but I distinctly recall the thread because the poster described always seeing the guy at the copy machine--that image has always stuck with me, even when the video pops up somewhere. 

Melt with you is my #1 song of the era...for me, defines it.

Was thinking about joy division and other songs surrounded by quotation marks...if love will year is apart is up there, I'd have absolutely no problem and expect a certain song by the Clash to be there too.

I seem to recall a poster saying he worked in an office building in NYC with the lead singer of Modern English years after Melt With You was a hit. 

This was a long time ago, maybe back on Old Yeller, but I distinctly recall the thread because the poster described always seeing the guy at the copy machine--that image has always stuck with me, even when the video pops up somewhere. 
It wasn't me, although I wish it was.

I gave it a : ❤️, but also wanted to shed a couple tears over that info.

2. “The Ghost In You” The Psychedelic Furs (1984, from Mirror Moves

https://youtu.be/T87u5yuUVi8

It’s pretty rare to find a song that is this pretty and also has incredibly poetic lyrics. “The Ghost In You” is one of the pure joys of 1980s popular music, an almost flawless song from beginning to end. 
Hoping I finally get to see them live next month if it isn’t canceled. Pick seems too high imo. 

Melt with you is my #1 song of the era...for me, defines it.

Was thinking about joy division and other songs surrounded by quotation marks...if love will year is apart is up there, I'd have absolutely no problem and expect a certain song by the Clash to be there too.
If I were doing this list, my top 3 would be:

1. Melt With You
2. Don't You Forget About Me
3. In a Big Country

Not necessarily my favorite 3 from the era (though they're pretty high up there) but the 3 songs that absolutely define the era and take me on a rocket ship back to the early 80s every time I hear them. My #4 of the era is by a band not yet on the list, but I'm thinking it might be #1.

I think it's too late to add The Clash to this list. By the parameters Tim has created, I would perceive them to be punk/post-punk rather than New Wave.

2. “The Ghost In You” The Psychedelic Furs (1984, from Mirror Moves

https://youtu.be/T87u5yuUVi8

It’s pretty rare to find a song that is this pretty and also has incredibly poetic lyrics. “The Ghost In You” is one of the pure joys of 1980s popular music, an almost flawless song from beginning to end. 
Not the Furs song I would have gone with (was their big hit already on the countdown?) but I do love the band!

timschochet said:

The soundtrack to Valley Girl is an all-timer. In addition to Melt With You, it introduced me to the Plimsouls (A Million Miles Away and Oldest Story in the World) who are more up my early alternative alley (with The Replacements, REM, etc) plus it had the Furs, Men at Work, and Josie Cotton's band played the movie prom.

My friends and I had a spirited debate about whether Julie's dad in the movie was played by Sonny Bono. He was not

1. “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” Tears for Fears (1985, from Songs from the Big Chair

I regard this as the New Wave masterpiece: a classic pop song that will still be played 50 years from now. Musically, lyrically, vocally, it’s all perfection. I especially love the instrumental bridge- so sweet. What’s not to love? 

1. “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” Tears for Fears (1985, from Songs from the Big Chair

I regard this as the New Wave masterpiece: a classic pop song that will still be played 50 years from now. Musically, lyrically, vocally, it’s all perfection. I especially love the instrumental bridge- so sweet. What’s not to love? 
Can not argue that pick. It's a perfect song indeed. 

Tears for Fears is great, and that’s a very worthy number 1. 

That said, I’m stunned that R.E.M. didn’t have a single song in this. 

Solid choice as number 1.  I do still enjoy this song and it does take me back to the 80s instantly. 

Always makes me think of the movie Real Genius as it’s playing toward the end of the final scene and in the credits.  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread