What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1982 #1. Little Red Corvette (2 Viewers)

21. The Pointer Sisters “I’m So Excited” (from So Excited!)

In the first half of the 1970s, the Pointers were best known for World War II era jazz standards, but that all changed around 1978, when they released one monster pop hit after another.

“I’m So Excited” continued that streak, and I was astonished to read the accompanying musician list: it’s virtually a who’s who of jazz greats.
This is perhaps the worst song of the 80s. To have it on your list let alone #21 constitutes a hate crime.
Do you realize Billy Joel released more than 21 records in the '80s?

5. Tears For Fears “Mad World” (released as a single)

First a correction: when I listed “Pale Shelter” earlier I wrote it was from the album The Hurting, which is correct, except that album came out in 1983. Both “Pale Shelter” and “Amd World” were originally released as singles in 1982.

On to the song:

And I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I’m dying are the best I’ve ever had

Some of the most poignant, powerful, depressing and pretentious lyrics in all of pop music. And put to a terrific melody. I know a lot of people prefer the slow ballad cover by Gary Jules, and it’s awesome, but if I had to choose, give me the original.

6. The English Beat “Save It For Later” (from Special Beat Service)

The English Beat were the best of the ska revival bands of the New Wave era, and this was their best song and one of the best tunes of the early 80s, IMO. Completely infectious and delightful to listen to, even now.
Great tune. Pearl Jam would unabashedly borrow its riff towards the end of Better Man, and does the two songs as a medley live.

Born in 1971 never heard of this song either. :shrug:

Because it's petty mediocre...the most overrated song in this ranking by a wide margin.
I can name 20+ more, Mad World would be one. I don't recall this song at all - and I graduated in 82.
It was played a lot more on MTV than on the radio at the time, and not even that all that frequently on MTV. Probably became more prominent when TFF got big a few years later with Songs From The Big Chair.

Because it's petty mediocre...the most overrated song in this ranking by a wide margin.
I can name 20+ more, Mad World would be one. I don't recall this song at all - and I graduated in 82.
It seems to me that there are a few people here who never listened to new wave music unless the song in question was a huge Billboard hit. That’s the only explanation I can offer. “Save It For Later” and “Mad World” are pretty famous songs.

It seems to me that there are a few people here who never listened to new wave music unless the song in question was a huge Billboard hit. That’s the only explanation I can offer. “Save It For Later” and “Mad World” are pretty famous songs.
To be fair, there are plenty of cities where New Wave wasn’t played much back then. A far cry from KROQ, which a few of us had the opportunity to hear a lot.

Played it live when I saw them last Summer. Coming in at #10....

Last edited:
To be fair, there are plenty of cities where New Wave wasn’t played much back then. A far cry from KROQ, which a few of us had the opportunity to hear a lot.
And while cable started to hit a few major markets, MTV was still only in 9 million households (of 83) at the end of '82.

Also, while the Rolling Stone writer didn't realize it, his year in review pretty much chronicles the beginning of the fragmentation which over time makes music more of niche experience as opposed to a collective experience.

"Save It For Later" I can kind of see. I remember it, but you like said, it wasn't a big hit.
For me, "Mad World" is a different story. Sure, it was before Songs from a Big Chair, so maybe you missed it, considering it didn't chart in the US. However, the Michael Andrews/Gary Jules cover version was MUCH more popular, mostly on the back of being in Donnie Darko. Obviously it's been covered a few more times since then.

"Save It For Later" I can kind of see. I remember it, but you like said, it wasn't a big hit.
For me, "Mad World" is a different story. Sure, it was before Songs from a Big Chair, so maybe you missed it, considering it didn't chart in the US. However, the Michael Andrews/Gary Jules cover version was MUCH more popular, mostly on the back of being in Donnie Darko. Obviously it's been covered a few more times since then.
It’s a very good cover imo

Quite a few people here were too young. I was. New Wave was done by the time I was really into music. I found it later.

Fun fact: the beginning of Mad World was later sampled and used at the start of Do They Know It's Christmas by Band-Aid.

Great song, but it's 80 Tears for Fears, so that goes without saying.

4. Modern English “I Melt With You” (from After The Snow)

The quintessential early 80s New Wave song. It feels like it should be in every John Hughes teen movie of the era, but in fact it was in none of them; it was featured in. Valley Girl instead.

I don’t regard this song as the best song of 1982, since I still have 3 ranked above it. But if I had to choose one song to represent 1982, this would be the one.

The quintessential early 80s New Wave song. It feels like it should be in every John Hughes teen movie of the era, but in fact it was in none of them; it was featured in. Valley Girl instead.

I don’t regard this song as the best song of 1982, since I still have 3 ranked above it. But if I had to choose one song to represent 1982, this would be the one.
Great timing based on my comment yesterday...:hifive:

Meh..."Melt With You" was listenable back in the day but I never liked it as much as everybody else.

It has to be one of the most played songs of the early 80s.

Wouldn't make my personal top 50 for the year.

Last edited:
3. Toto “Africa” (from Toto IV)

Well for those of you complaining that my top ten has too much New Wave in it, here is a yacht rock song- and IMO it’s probably the greatest yacht rock song of all time.

Well for those of you complaining that my top ten has too much New Wave in it, here is a yacht rock song- and IMO it’s probably the greatest yacht rock song of all time.
Can't stand this song. Toto has some good tunes. This one is like nails on a chalkboard (dated reference) to me.

This song has experienced a real resurgence lately. Thanks mainly to the Weezer cover.

This song has experienced a real resurgence lately. Thanks mainly to the Weezer cover.
Actually I think more due to this one. Best cover of this you’ll ever hear IMO.

Actually I think more due to this one. Best cover you’ll ever hear IMO.
Is the dude on the right Louis CK?

Actually I think more due to this one. Best cover you’ll ever hear IMO.
Is the dude on the right Louis CK?
That was asked about every 10th comment in the clip.

I used KROQ song lists a lot when DJing, it was totally different than midwest lists. I was lucky, I had access to MTV from the start also.

I have been happy to see how well Africa has aged and how much younger people have taken to it. Awesome song, a total classic, and definitely one of the best songs of the 80s.
Totally agree. It’s a beautiful song that I still enjoy all these years later.

This explains why 82 is the worst year ever.
Meh..."Melt With You" was listenable back in the day but I never liked it as much as everybody else.

It has to be one of the most played songs of the early 80s.

Wouldn't make my personal top 500 for the year.

Fixed this for you.

Can't stand this song. Toto has some good tunes. This one is like nails on a chalkboard (dated reference) to me.

Cat on a hot tin roof would be more enjoyable.

2. Michael Jackson “Billie Jean” (from Thriller)

As ai mentioned earlier in this thread I was not a fan of Michael Jackson when this song first became a hit in early 1983 (the album was released in November of 1982). And I hated this tune in particular.As somebody here pointed out, most of us who listened to music back then were in our own groupings and disliked all the others: for me at the time it was New Wave. I thumbed my nose at most top 40 hits.

Over the years I’ve come to appreciate and embrace many types of music that I didn’t in my ignorant youth. And I realize that “Billie Jean” is a true masterpiece, one of the greatest pop songs of any era, and quite deserving of its status in music history.

Actually I think more due to this one. Best cover of this you’ll ever hear IMO.
Yeah those Weezer covers are all super lame

Users who are viewing this thread