What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1982 #1. Little Red Corvette (4 Viewers)

I never realized how important the 1982 year was in music for me. I'm itching to set the record straight.

lol. I kid. I couldn't care less.

10. Culture Club “Do You Really Want To Hurt Me” (from Kissing To Be Clever)

Boy George was a phenomenon in 1982: his looks, his style, his charisma in the videos. Though previous artists like David Bowie had adopted an androgynous persona, MTV and videos gave Boy George’s visual presentation a much wider audience. In that sense, Culture Club contributed significant changes to the popular culture.

But none of this would have been possible if the song wasn’t good, or catchy. It’s both, and Boy George has one of the great voices in pop history. I’ve previously compared it to Smokey Robinson.
Might as well be a list of the top ten songs that are instant station changers.

Can blame Tim, this task is like asking the garbage man to rank the top 100 stops on his route.

Boy George was a phenomenon in 1982: his looks, his style, his charisma in the videos. Though previous artists like David Bowie had adopted an androgynous persona, MTV and videos gave Boy George’s visual presentation a much wider audience. In that sense, Culture Club contributed significant changes to the popular culture.

But none of this would have been possible if the song wasn’t good, or catchy. It’s both, and Boy George has one of the great voices in pop history. I’ve previously compared it to Smokey Robinson.

Can blame Tim, this task is like asking the garbage man to rank the top 100 stops on his route.
Damn. You must really dislike Culture Club.

Well, music is subjective. But referring to this song as garbage is kind of silly IMO.

9. Bruce Springsteen “Atlantic City (from Nebraska)

Nebraska is a lot of people’s favorite Springsteen album. It’s a little sparse for me, though I get the appeal of Bruce by himself, recorded in his room, unedited, etc. But this is a great song, perhaps one of his all time best. In its depiction of the deterioration of a once great city, I always somehow associated it with the terrific Louis Malle film of the same title (starring Burt Lancaster and Susan Sarandon). But the movie came out about a year before and is unrelated to the song.

Well, music is subjective. But referring to this song as garbage is kind of silly IMO.
Yeah, I don't get the hate. It's a really good record.

I think videos were a double edged sword for Boy George and Culture Club. George got a lot of attention because of the way he looked. So, that got more eyeballs on him and people listening to his music. But, his appearance also caused a lot of people to dismiss the band as gimmicky.
It would have been interesting to see how Culture Club would have fared if music videos didn't exist and people could only focus on their music.

I think videos were a double edged sword for Boy George and Culture Club. George got a lot of attention because of the way he looked. So, that got more eyeballs on him and people listening to his music. But, his appearance also caused a lot of people to dismiss the band as gimmicky.
It would have been interesting to see how Culture Club would have fared if music videos didn't exist and people could only focus on their music.
Just my opinion, but the videos were the highlight.

If I compiled a top 100 list from one of your 70's lists and this one, it would be 90 songs from the 70s list to 10 songs from this list. It would be interesting to have the middle aged dummies submit top 25 lists from this list and one of your 70s lists and see what shakes out.

Yeah, I don't get the hate. It's a really good record.
I did just pick one of the recent posts, my opinion would have been the same for Come On Eileen or numerous other songs. Nothing person about Culture Club.

9. Bruce Springsteen “Atlantic City (from Nebraska)

Nebraska is a lot of people’s favorite Springsteen album. It’s a little sparse for me, though I get the appeal of Bruce by himself, recorded in his room, unedited, etc. But this is a great song, perhaps one of his all time best. In its depiction of the deterioration of a once great city, I always somehow associated it with the terrific Louis Malle film of the same title (starring Burt Lancaster and Susan Sarandon). But the movie came out about a year before and is unrelated to the song.
My #1 Springsteen. Has none of the qualities of his that I find annoying.

That is my favorite Springsteen album. But not a Springsteen fan and wouldn't make my top 50. Certainly not ahead of any of the Thriller hits, the Message or Gypsy which are historically great songs.

That is my favorite Springsteen album. But not a Springsteen fan and wouldn't make my top 50. Certainly not ahead of any of the Thriller hits, the Message or Gypsy which are historically great songs.

I was gonna say I’d rather listen to Iron Maiden than Springsteen, but Bruce actually has like 2-3 good songs

8. John Cougar “Jack And Diane” (from American Fool)

This little ditty made John Mellencamp a superstar. It’s a simple tune with sweet, poignant lyrics that captured the hearts of millions of young people. A true classic iof the era.

I won’t argue with its finish here, as it’s a classic that many still love, and it’s probably the Hoosier’s most well known song. I just don’t ever want to hear it again.

7. The Clash “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” (from Combat Rock)

I don’t have much to write about this except that it’s one of the great rock and roll songs of all time.

Just when you think 82 couldn’t get any worse Tim ups the antee.

This list probably explains why I wore out the vinyl on my Rush albums.
For the reason already mentioned and misconstrued as criticism, Tim is showing 1982 in a much better light than I remember it, He is pushing my 1983 (and even some 1984) into 1982, and at the same time some of what I'd think of 1982 (Men at Work immediately comes to mind) back into 1981.

As for Rush, they are a pretty good example of a group where when they released a song on an album and when you might associate that song as being "new" could be way different for most of their 70's releases.

We’re going to be down to the final 6, and my #1 and the song I thought would be #1 are still out there. And I don’t think either one would qualify as overplayed ad nauseum.

21. The Pointer Sisters “I’m So Excited” (from So Excited!)

In the first half of the 1970s, the Pointers were best known for World War II era jazz standards, but that all changed around 1978, when they released one monster pop hit after another.

“I’m So Excited” continued that streak, and I was astonished to read the accompanying musician list: it’s virtually a who’s who of jazz greats.
This is perhaps the worst song of the 80s. To have it on your list let alone #21 constitutes a hate crime.

That Clash song isn't bad, but it's not that great either. It never crossed my mind when thinking about what songs might be in the top 10.
It was never a good song and is a surprising entry at number 7. Silly to think that’s a top 10 song. The song goes no where and belongs around number 80.
Agreed, and it wasn't even much of a hit here in the States (didn't even break the top 40), so it didn't get the "it was a big hit, so it has to be up here" bump. It got the "I think it's a great song" tim bump. :lol:

6. The English Beat “Save It For Later” (from Special Beat Service)

The English Beat were the best of the ska revival bands of the New Wave era, and this was their best song and one of the best tunes of the early 80s, IMO. Completely infectious and delightful to listen to, even now.
I've never heard it before but it is catchy. But I think Modern English had better songs.

The English Beat were the best of the ska revival bands of the New Wave era, and this was their best song and one of the best tunes of the early 80s, IMO. Completely infectious and delightful to listen to, even now.
I've never heard it before but it is catchy. But I think Modern English had better songs.
Modern English was certainly New Wave but not part of the Ska revival. The key bands in the Ska revival were The English Beat, The Specials, and Madness, and many lesser known groups as well.

Wait, what?

We're you born in 1983?

We're you born in 1983?
Born in 1971 never heard of this song either. :shrug:

Wait, what?
Never heard this song, but knows who Modern English is.😕

7. The Clash “Should I Stay Or Should I Go” (from Combat Rock)

I don’t have much to write about this except that it’s one of the great rock and roll songs of all time.

Soundly in my overrated camp.

Users who are viewing this thread