What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1982 #1. Little Red Corvette (1 Viewer)

Billie Jean was the other song I was talking about in my response to Beat It. Hearing / seeing it I got that Jackson was going in a different direction - again the subject matter and tone were a big contrast to what had come before and much of the other poppier stuff on Thriller itself. Of all the tracks on the album, I think this one holds up best today, most of the rest is really stuck in the early 80's in terms of sound and production approach.

Also, good news everyone - Mr. Roboto and Don't Let It End didn't come out until 83! It's been a while since Tim has gotten #1 right, at least he'll avoid the Styxx bullet this time.

3. Toto “Africa” (from Toto IV)

Well for those of you complaining that my top ten has too much New Wave in it, here is a yacht rock song- and IMO it’s probably the greatest yacht rock song of all time.

One of the greatest pop songs of all time, would definitely make my top 3 for the year and maybe the decade. There are some instrumental moments that sound dated, but largely a perfect song.

Well done.

Songs I'm sure are not #1

Is it You - DC Star
She's Got it All - Trigger Happy
Fire in the Hole - by MTV 1st day'ers BootCamp (Why 1982 and not 1984

In my mind Thriller wasn't even the best 15 minute song of '82

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits How can a song about the history of the building of America and one man's dreams not be pure Tim? Okay maybe the "crumbling" part.

There is only one way to rock - Sammy Hagar seems in title to go against the diversity embraced in this thread but I think it might say just the opposite.

Dirty Laundry - Don Henley - This album in the earlier linked review was a disappointment, but this song is still played all the time (and probably makes more sense today than it did in 1982)

Crazy - Supertramp might not be famous last words, but one of my favorites

When the Tiger Broke Free - Pink Floyd is such an emotional song. Sure it probably represents the beginning of the end, but there was still a year before we knew that.

If I had to pick a song that most represents 1982 (that wasn't released in 1981 or earlier) it would have to be this, like it or not.

And, while off a disappointing album for retailer, and by a group few remember, the best song of 1982 would be this one. (Though I think this video is from the 1984 version as opposed to where it was first heard.)

I doubt any of these made very many top 100 lists, Tim's or others. And I'm sure 1982 just got even worse for @BassNBrew .

I listed a lot of local groups here that I expect most never heard of, but without MTV, often poor radio reception at home, a lot of what this just turned 18 (just before the deadline to be grandfathered in before the rising drinking age back to 21) was listening to was local or available from Columbia House. Funny thing is, my song of 1982 was from a band that was local, but I first heard played on the radio a thousand miles away. But leaving out the 1981 "old guard" songs that were big in the winter, and the 1981 and older songs from "strange new groups" that owned the fall, these are representative snippets of what I remember of 1982. Not trying to hijack Tim's countdown or have much of a discussion, just reminiscing.

Speaking of which when you get to 1983, there is also a song released in that year which was recorded by the group that played my senior prom in 1982. When they were booked they were going by the name Paper Cup. By spring of '82 they morphed into Shor Patrol and they had a modest hit on their 1983 EP - Loverboy which you'll swear is on dozens of early '80s movie soundtracks. Which I'm not saying is a good thing. While not yet at college, by summer break of '83 my parents had cable and the distraction of MTV so I'd probably forget this in a 1983 thread.

1. Prince “Little Red Corvette” (from 1999)

Could be the greatest “car” song of all time, if it was about a car. It’s not. The car is a metaphor for sex. So is this the greatest song of all time about sex? Could very well be. This is Prince at his best IMO. There are a few songs from his next album (Purple Rain) that match this in sheer brilliance, but none exceed it. “Little Red Corvette” is the #1 song of 1982.

Songs I'm sure are not #1

Is it You - DC Star
She's Got it All - Trigger Happy
Fire in the Hole - by MTV 1st day'ers BootCamp (Why 1982 and not 1984

In my mind Thriller wasn't even the best 15 minute song of '82

Telegraph Road - Dire Straits How can a song about the history of the building of America and one man's dreams not be pure Tim? Okay maybe the "crumbling" part.

There is only one way to rock - Sammy Hagar seems in title to go against the diversity embraced in this thread but I think it might say just the opposite.

Dirty Laundry - Don Henley - This album in the earlier linked review was a disappointment, but this song is still played all the time (and probably makes more sense today than it did in 1982)

Crazy - Supertramp might not be famous last words, but one of my favorites

When the Tiger Broke Free - Pink Floyd is such an emotional song. Sure it probably represents the beginning of the end, but there was still a year before we knew that.

If I had to pick a song that most represents 1982 (that wasn't released in 1981 or earlier) it would have to be this, like it or not.

And, while off a disappointing album for retailer, and by a group few remember, the best song of 1982 would be this one. (Though I think this video is from the 1984 version as opposed to where it was first heard.)

I doubt any of these made very many top 100 lists, Tim's or others. And I'm sure 1982 just got even worse for @BassNBrew .

I listed a lot of local groups here that I expect most never heard of, but without MTV, often poor radio reception at home, a lot of what this just turned 18 (just before the deadline to be grandfathered in before the rising drinking age back to 21) was listening to was local or available from Columbia House. Funny thing is, my song of 1982 was from a band that was local, but I first heard played on the radio a thousand miles away. But leaving out the 1981 "old guard" songs that were big in the winter, and the 1981 and older songs from "strange new groups" that owned the fall, these are representative snippets of what I remember of 1982. Not trying to hijack Tim's countdown or have much of a discussion, just reminiscing.

Speaking of which when you get to 1983, there is also a song released in that year which was recorded by the group that played my senior prom in 1982. When they were booked they were going by the name Paper Cup. By spring of '82 they morphed into Shor Patrol and they had a modest hit on their 1983 EP - Loverboy which you'll swear is on dozens of early '80s movie soundtracks. Which I'm not saying is a good thing. While not yet at college, by summer break of '83 my parents had cable and the distraction of MTV so I'd probably forget this in a 1983 thread.
Always thought Loverboy didn’t get the recognition they deserved. Two other great bands of this era from Canada are Moxy (Mike Reno’s first band) and Streetheart from my home town Winnipeg. Streetheart and their lead singer Kenny Shields were a Winnipeg bar scene staple in the late 80’s, early 90’s.

1. Prince “Little Red Corvette” (from 1999)

Could be the greatest “car” song of all time, if it was about a car. It’s not. The car is a metaphor for sex. So is this the greatest song of all time about sex? Could very well be. This is Prince at his best IMO. There are a few songs from his next album (Purple Rain) that match this in sheer brilliance, but none exceed it. “Little Red Corvette” is the #1 song of 1982.

Great song. Arguably his best for certain. I probably have Africa and Billie Jean ahead of it but have no issue with it as a #1.

Always thought Loverboy didn’t get the recognition they deserved. Two other great bands of this era from Canada are Moxy (Mike Reno’s first band) and Streetheart from my home town Winnipeg. Streetheart and their lead singer Kenny Shields were a Winnipeg bar scene staple in the late 80’s, early 90’s.
Agreed, but Loverboy (the band) are among those 1981 and earlier groups as their debut was 1980 and Get Lucky was 1981. I was referencing a song called Loverboy.

I looked at a few Candian bands but most were in that 1981 or earlier bucket. Triumph released Never Surrender in '82 but most everything I looked up was just before. Sure I missed something though. (ETA: And of course 1983 and later, just while heard in 1982 didn't release any albums.)

Agreed, but Loverboy (the band) are among those 1981 and earlier groups as their debut was 1980 and Get Lucky was 1981. I was referencing a song called Loverboy.

I looked at a few Candian bands but most were in that 1981 or earlier bucket. Triumph released Never Surrender in '82 but most everything I looked up was just before. Sure I missed something though. (ETA: And of course 1983 and later, just while heard in 1982 didn't release any albums.)
Don't forget Harlequin. They released One False Move in '82. I was also going to say Red Rider, but their albums were in '81 and '83.

I was also going to say Red Rider, but their albums were in '81 and '83.
I was going to say Chilliwack with My Girl, but despite having an album in '82 the songs I recognized were from 81.
I also thought of Red Rider (in the Pink Floyd countdown I mentioned that I had college friends that swore Lunatic Fringe was by Pink Floyd which places that song on the radio in the fall of '82,but as you said.)
April Wine had an album in 82, but I don't remember it. Don't remember Harlequin though some of the sound is familiar.
Saga, Bryan Adams also straddle '82, Corey Hart's Sunglasses are a year out, as is Bob Ezrin producing that Shor Patrol EP I mentioned. And Rush is already included here.

For some one with less that a day in Canada, did I do okay? And that day happened to be in 1982.

Okay, in what will probably be a "you had to be there" story during the spring of 1982. McDonalds somewhere between the Toronto hotel where High School bands were being adjudicated and the CN Tower I was behind a friend who walked up and ordered an orange coke. The staff had no clue that this simply meant an orange soda and my friend had no clue why they were confused in his calling all soda Coke, and me and my other friends were struggling to hold in our laughter to be of any help. (Now that I think about it "my" third album came out in '82, though the best songs on it were played by the other band for those with actual talent.)

I have been happy to see how well Africa has aged and how much younger people have taken to it. Awesome song, a total classic, and definitely one of the best songs of the 80s.

Steve Lukather has been part of Ringo's All-Starr Band for several iterations, and they play this song. I was shocked when I saw them last fall to find just how amazing this song still is. Structurally, melodically, instrumentally...it's so gorgeous. Someone else did the high "I bless the rains" parts - I believe it was Gregg Bissonette. Will see them perform it again this Sunday, as I just looked at setlists and it's exactly the same as the fall show! :lol:

OMG , so many songs not on the list. A couple are glaring omissions, most are just honorable mentions. Who’s going first?

Steppin' Out by Joe Jackson stands out to me as one that should have not only been on the list, but probably top 10.

I get that many guys hated 80s Chicago because of how sappy their songs got, but I think Love Me Tomorrow, which rocks a little, is outstanding. One of my favorites from my early days as a music fan.

Twilight Zone by Golden Earring is an awesome song from 1982 or any years. Glaring omission.

Stray Cats Strut by Stray Cuts is another good one left off.

I counted 5 songs I wouldn’t have included, so overall very solid list. So here’s my obvious omissions.

I said it earlier, Don’t Go by Yaz should be on the list.
I’m not even a Roxy Music fan, but I thought More than This would have been #1 , so shocked it wasn’t on there.

Twilight Zone definitely should be on the list.

I Keep Forgetting, Michael McDonald. Yes, another overplayed yacht rock song, but that groove and his voice make it for me.

And my #1 song of ‘82. I.GY. Donald Fagen.

I counted 5 songs I wouldn’t have included, so overall very solid list. So here’s my obvious omissions.

I’m not even a Roxy Music fan, but I thought More than This would have been #1 , so shocked it wasn’t on there.

I Keep Forgetting, Michael McDonald. Yes, another overplayed yacht rock song, but that groove and his voice make it for me.

I was shocked that neither More Than This nor Avalon showed up.

I was shocked that neither More Than This nor Avalon showed up.
Tim’s not a big New Wave fan.

Twilight Zone by Golden Earring
Wow, that was left out? That’s a glaring omission.
The place is a madhouse.
And that is a rare song where the single edit is better than the album version. Maybe I was just too used to the single version from the video before I finally heard the album version years later, but the single version is like the perfect song, while the album version goes on a bit too long.

Let's Dance by Bowie is another. The album version is a long, drawn out mess, but the single edit is a perfect song.

The place is a madhouse.
And that is a rare song where the single edit is better than the album version. Maybe I was just too used to the single version from the video before I finally heard the album version years later, but the single version is like the perfect song, while the album version goes on a bit too long.

Let's Dance by Bowie is another. The album version is a long, drawn out mess, but the single edit is a perfect song.
Stray cats Strut was released in 1981. Let’s Dance was released in 1983. Both would have made my list.

The other songs brought up, particularly those by Roxy Music, Golden Earring, and Joe Jackson, are not very good. I did consider “I Keep Forgetting” by McDonald but it failed to make the cut. Tough year.

Stray Cats Strut was released as a single in the States in 1982.

i was using Let's Dance as just another example of a song where the single edit is better (I know it is from '83).

The place is a madhouse.

Stray cats Strut was released in 1981. Let’s Dance was released in 1983. Both would have made my list.

The other songs brought up, particularly those by Roxy Music, Golden Earring, and Joe Jackson, are not very good. I did consider “I Keep Forgetting” by McDonald but it failed to make the cut. Tough year.
No.

I’m shocked to hear Tim say Twilight Zone, More Than This and Steppin Out aren’t good songs. For one they’re all great and would seem in his wheelhouse.

It's all personal preference, but I strongly disagree. To me, the middle part is what makes the song and gives the criminally underrated George Kooymans a chance to flex his guitar chops among a broader audience.

ETA: I posted this in the worldwide countdown thread, but this later acoustic version is fantastic.

Not sure why I posted as if Tim wasn’t around to ask him directly 😀
That’s OK, Tim prefers to post in the third person anyhow.

J/K. I can’t tell you why I think a tune is mediocre. It’s much harder than telling you why a tune is great. I have no defense for my tastes.

But I will say that every song chosen on the list is regarded as great by many people, not just me. I’m never going to select songs that are deep cuts or lowly regarded. And there’s only 100 songs and most years there are plenty more notable tunes than that so some are always going to be left out. Hopefully not too many.

Users who are viewing this thread