What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

That said, I’m stunned that R.E.M. didn’t have a single song in this. 
Most of their songs that I really like are later 80s, beginning with the album Life’s Rich Pageant. I did strongly consider an early song of theirs, “Driver 8”, which I love. But in the end I decided that they were more a college rock late 80s band. 

Cars by Gary  Neuman is the #1 of this era, yet not even on the list?   :lmao:

Safety Dance, Take On Me, 99 Luftbaloons also fail to chart? 
Almost all of these songs made my one hit wonders list. But my problem with them here is that I’m just not in love with any of these songs. 

If it were me, I would have limited the number of songs per artist to three and list any other songs by that performer as an honorable mention one of that band’s song write ups. But such is life. 

Most of their songs that I really like are later 80s, beginning with the album Life’s Rich Pageant. I did strongly consider an early song of theirs, “Driver 8”, which I love. But in the end I decided that they were more a college rock late 80s band. 
sooo ... you make a genre call on R.E.M. (which i agree with, btw), but fail to see that Joy Division/Cure/Siouxsie also defy the New Wave tag to many?

eeesh. 

have the #### at it. 

marrrrrone.  

1. “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” Tears for Fears (1985, from Songs from the Big Chair

I regard this as the New Wave masterpiece: a classic pop song that will still be played 50 years from now. Musically, lyrically, vocally, it’s all perfection. I especially love the instrumental bridge- so sweet. What’s not to love? 
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

and, btw ... the Smiths are about as "New Wave" (thanks, flop  :D ) as Hermoine Gingold.  Johnny Marr would throttle a neck at that kinda foolishness. 

I still don’t understand this, especially the Cure. 
because back in the day, schnooks who weren't fans of theirs from jump were ignorant enough to just say "oooh, look ... a band from the Hinterlands with a lead singer in eyeliner and kabuki makeup!!! JUST LIKE BOY GEORGE ... ERGO - "NEW WAVE!!!!" - that's some lazy ### compartmentalizing, at best. 

their debut was as sparse and minimalist as any post punk offering of it's time ... they moved towards a goth pop sensibility, but i never once got stunods enough to classify as "New Wave" - they don't fit.  it's an insult.  (apply same to Siouxsie & the Banshees).

with all due respect, i found this list to be one which desperately needed an alt 80s savant, not WHAM! and Band Aid. 

good day.

I guess. I think Radio Free Europe from their debut would have been a good choice.  

Quibbling aside, nice job with this thread. 

My friends and I had a spirited debate about whether Julie's dad in the movie was played by Sonny Bono. He was not
He looks a lot like him, but definitely not Sonny.

Frederic Forrest had a great star-marking turn a few years prior as Chef in Apocalypse Now.

Also later played the Captain in the original 21 Jump Street TV series.

I had a ton of disagreements but definitely enjoyed the overall ride, even the disagreements. Thanks for the effort, Tim

If you have the Police and the Cars on here, then you have to REM and probably the Clash. If you have the Pretenders, then why not Tom Petty?

Not going to quibble the individual song choices with bands you did include, but here are some of the most glaring omissions of artists left entirely off the list (unless I missed them):

Just Like Honey - Jesus and Mary Chain
Yaz (pick a few)
Tenderness - General Public
Roxy Music (pick a few of your favorites)
This Is the Day - The The
Kids in America - Kim Wilde
Suspicious Minds - Fine Young Cannibals

My omissions, only including artists not represented in the countdown. Many might not be top 100 worthy, but quality tunes IMO.

Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away
Romeo Void - Never Say Never
Specials - Ghost Town
Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio
Talk Talk - Talk Talk
Thomas Dolby - Europa
Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Coming Home)
Fixx - Red Skies
Red Rockers - China
Icicle Works - Birds Fly (Whisper To A Scream)
Re-Flex - The Politics of Dancing
Real Life - Send Me An Angel (biggest omission IMO - mentioned above by Acer)
Midnight Oil - The Power and the Passion
JoBoxers - Just Got Lucky
The Members - Working Girl
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax
Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy
Alphaville - Big In Japan
General Public - General Public
Howard Jones - New Song
King - Love And Pride
Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill
Payola$ - Eyes Of A Stranger

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to Tim for making this list. I guess I didn't really know until now how many FBGs listen to the same music as me. With that being said, is anyone interested in a music exchange of sorts? I personally have over 319 GB of music available to anyone interested to pull from my own hosted FTP (with permission of course). After many posts in here, it seems like many of you have things I might want and vice versa. This is just a general inquiry, but wanted to throw it out there to everyone.

Thanks for list.  Bunch of songs I would want on it but it is one man's opinion and he took the time to do it which is appreciated.  

I had a ton of disagreements but definitely enjoyed the overall ride, even the disagreements. Thanks for the effort, Tim

If you have the Police and the Cars on here, then you have to REM and probably the Clash. If you have the Pretenders, then why not Tom Petty?

Not going to quibble the individual song choices with bands you did include, but here are some of the most glaring omissions of artists left entirely off the list (unless I missed them):

Yaz (pick a few)

Not all heroes wear capes.

I want to thank Tim for taking the time and effort to do this. He gets an A on the effort portion of the evaluation, even if I would have to grade the overall product as "Needs Improvement".
Agree.  I would have quit at the backlash to Wham, but Tim plowed on.  I look forward to the side lists for some deep cuts. 

Nice work, Tim. 

@otb_lifer you might be on your own holding such a hard line on the Cure and Smiths not being new wave. But you do you. 

Was going to spend some time replying with my own Top 25 but since it would contain at least 2 Smiths and Cure songs, I won’t bother ;)  

Nice work, Tim. 

@otb_lifer you might be on your own holding such a hard line on the Cure and Smiths not being new wave. But you do you. 

Was going to spend some time replying with my own Top 25 but since it would contain at least 2 Smiths and Cure songs, I won’t bother ;)  
No way no how were The Smiths new wave 

20 hours ago, timschochet said:
And that’s all. The complete list can be found in the OP. Go ahead and gripe on me now, I know there are some worthy omissions. 
Now? I don't think you were even following along with your own thread.

;)

While there were songs I flat out hate, many wrong songs by the right artists, and missing songs and artists... I've said it before but want to keep saying how much I enjoyed this and appreciate the time and effort you took for this.

Has made me revisit and rethink an era that was my musically/developmentally defining era. Even though I'd have liked to have seen more of my favorites and less of my non-favoroted... I can't ask for more as a spectator. 

Great job Tim. You really killed it in the home stretch. 

For anyone who is interested in checking out some current new wave, I’m a big fan of Drab Majesty.  Give them a listen!

Ok, so it’s you and OTB holding the hard line. I’d put up a poll if I had the energy. 
from AllMusic:

The Smiths were the definitive British indie rock band of the '80s, marking the end of synth-driven new wave and the beginning of the guitar rock that dominated English rock into the '90s. Sonically, the group was indebted to the British Invasion, crafting ringing, melodic three-minute pop singles, even for their album tracks. But their scope was far broader than that of a revivalist band. The group's core members, vocalist Morrissey and guitarist Johnny Marr, were obsessive rock fans inspired by the D.I.Y. ethics of punk, but they also had a fondness for girl groups, pop, and rockabilly. Morrissey and Marr also represented one of the strangest teams of collaborators in rock history. Marr was the rock traditionalist, looking like an elegant version of Keith Richards during the Smiths' heyday and meticulously layering his guitar tracks in the studio. Morrissey, on the other hand, broke from rock tradition by singing in a keening, self-absorbed croon, embracing the forlorn, romantic poetry of Oscar Wilde, publicly declaring his celibacy, and making no secret of his disgust for most of his peers. While it eventually led to the Smiths' early demise, the friction between Morrissey and Marr resulted in a flurry of singles and albums over the course of three years that provided the blueprint for British guitar rock in the following decade.

from Quora:

They are certainly not a new wave band nor have they ever been associated with the genre. While the Smiths began their celestial career in the height of New Wave their music was far from being categorized as such. 

The Smiths were unique in their time because their music borrowed from Jangle pop which was a product of the 1960s. Some earlier bands associated to the sub-genre would be The Byrds and The Beatles as well as Big Star and The Raspberries. True to the sound, Johnny Marr would whip up stirring melodies against the backdrop of straight forward rhythms. Poppy or melancholic, moody and tempestuous, happy but often sad yet always providing humor, the Smiths were an anomaly in early 1984.

from Baeble (culled as to why they were not on the top "New Wave" bands list):

The Smiths: These guys were never truly considered New Wave, which is why they're not on the list. Still, The Smiths are on the same tier of incredibly influential artists of the 80's. 

from RetroJunk:

The Smiths were never considered a "New Wave" band, nor a "Post-Punk" band, they were considered "College Rock", which was basically underground rock bands, that gave appeal to independent college radio stations.

from wiki:

Origin: Manchester, England

Genres

Indie rock[1]

jangle pop[2]

post-punk[3]

alternative rock[4]

Years active1982–1987

Labels

Rough Trade

Sire

The Smiths were an English rock band formed in Manchester in 1982. The group consisted of vocalist Morrissey, guitarist Johnny Marr, bassist Andy Rourke, and drummer Mike Joyce. Critics have called them one of the most important bands to emerge from the British independent music scene of the 1980s. In 2003, three of their studio albums and one of their compilation albums appeared on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Based on the songwriting partnership of Morrissey and Marr, the Smiths' focus on a guitar, bass, and drum sound, and their fusion of 1960s rock and post-punk, were a rejection of the synthesiser-based dance-pop of the time. Marr's Rickenbacker guitar work had a jangle pop sound reminiscent of Roger McGuinn of the Byrds.[5] Morrissey's complex, literate lyrics combined themes about ordinary people with mordant humour.

that's far from "alone"

:coffee:

Articles like the above one are interesting but I think they miss the point. Neither the band itself  nor the critics define what genre a band is in: we do. And radio stations do and the old record stores that cater to our tastes. 

When I used to shop at Tower, Sam Goody, and orher record stores, there was always a section marked “Punk/New Wave”. This is where the Smiths could be found. It’s also where Wham and Cyndi Lauper could be found, and the single to “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” Since none of these admittedly disparate artists were punk, they were New Wave. Full stop. 

As far as the radio, you couldn’t hear The Smiths on most radio stations- the only one that I’m aware of locally was KROQ which called itself the “New Wave” station. Now it is true that Wham and Cyndi Lauper were heard on top 40, but that is only AFTER they broke through with huge hits: initially, they too were only played on New Wave stations (and once they moved on to top 40 they were pretty much shunned by the same stations which had originally played them, which may be the reason for the after the fact Argument now that they weren’t New Wave.) 

Now as I mentioned earlier, around 1986 or so these labels were removed, both at the record stores and the radio stations, and all of this stuff started to be called “alternative”. That’s why it was my cutoff point; it wasn’t arbritary. The problem with alternative was that, as wide as New Wave was, it was even wider: by 1988 KROQ for example had “Sweet Child of Mine” as a regular song on its playlist (prior to it breaking through to top 40 of course) right alongside the latest Cure and Smith songs, etc. 

Summation: I can acknowledge that my rules for this were loose, open ended, and at times seemingly contradictory, but I still think they were logical and can be defended based upon what was actually going on at the time. 

Articles like the above one are interesting but I think they miss the point. Neither the band itself  nor the critics define what genre a band is in: we do. And radio stations do and the old record stores that cater to our tastes. 

When I used to shop at Tower, Sam Goody, and orher record stores, there was always a section marked “Punk/New Wave”. This is where the Smiths could be found. It’s also where Wham and Cyndi Lauper could be found, and the single to “Do They Know It’s Christmas?” Since none of these admittedly disparate artists were punk, they were New Wave. Full stop. 

As far as the radio, you couldn’t hear The Smiths on most radio stations- the only one that I’m aware of locally was KROQ which called itself the “New Wave” station. Now it is true that Wham and Cyndi Lauper were heard on top 40, but that is only AFTER they broke through with huge hits: initially, they too were only played on New Wave stations (and once they moved on to top 40 they were pretty much shunned by the same stations which had originally played them, which may be the reason for the after the fact Argument now that they weren’t New Wave.) 

Now as I mentioned earlier, around 1986 or so these labels were removed, both at the record stores and the radio stations, and all of this stuff started to be called “alternative”. That’s why it was my cutoff point; it wasn’t arbritary. The problem with alternative was that, as wide as New Wave was, it was even wider: by 1988 KROQ for example had “Sweet Child of Mine” as a regular song on its playlist (prior to it breaking through to top 40 of course) right alongside the latest Cure and Smith songs, etc. 

Summation: I can acknowledge that my rules for this were loose, open ended, and at times seemingly contradictory, but I still think they were logical and can be defended based upon what was actually going on at the time. 
@otb_lifer

tim summed it up perfectly from my POV. You know I’ve been touting WLIR as my guiding light here, and what Tim said about KROQ is exactly the same about LIR. The only place you could hear The Cure or The Smiths was on the New Wave station, so I consider it new wave. Honestly, my definition  of New Wave includes loads of 80s alternative/indie rock. It was a big genre imo and many were welcome. 

Yaz (pick a few)

Was Echo in there anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread