What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest “New Wave” songs 1. Everybody Wants to Rule the World-Tears for Fears (1 Viewer)

In his Split Enz entry, Tim wrote - 

The Finn brothers from New Zealand made a pretty strong contribution to the early days of MTV, not only with this great tune but others which I was unable to include on this list, like “One Step Ahead”, “History Never Repeats”, “Six Months in a Leaky Boat”, etc. - all worthy songs but there’s simply no room (or for the later formed Crowded House either which had some great songs of their own.) 

I assume that means there are no CH songs on the list. Much to my disappointment.
Hey now. Don't dream it's over...

95. “I Got You”- Split Enz (1979, from True Colours

https://youtu.be/xv6oOxn1axw

The Finn brothers from New Zealand made a pretty strong contribution to the early days of MTV, not only with this great tune but others which I was unable to include on this list, like “One Step Ahead”, “History Never Repeats”, “Six Months in a Leaky Boat”, etc. - all worthy songs but there’s simply no room (or for the later formed Crowded House either which had some great songs of their own.) 

So this fine power pop gem will have to do. 
Good pick here! A KROQ classic.   

I bought the 45 single of this and XTC's Generals and Majors at the same time. My first exposure to both of these groups and definitely not the last.

'cuz Tim told us. 

In his Split Enz entry, Tim wrote - 

I assume that means there are no CH songs on the list. Much to my disappointment.
Well, if you expect me to read Tim’s entire blurb, then, yeah, I guess I understand now ;)  

as much as I think that OTB's (and others) definition of New Wave is much much more narrow than it should be, Crowded House did show up on the tail end of the New Wave movement and are probably more rock/folk/pop than New Wave, so I can get behind them not being in Tim's top 100.

I hope this list contains some Wire Train. I discovered them last year and I am really bummed that I haven't been able to enjoy them for the last 30+ years.

Well, if you expect me to read Tim’s entire blurb, then, yeah, I guess I understand now ;)  
:lol:

as much as I think that OTB's (and others) definition of New Wave is much much more narrow than it should be
... meh, i'm still enjoying the thread, i'll approach it in the "as is" condition, and see where it leads us. 

here's to you and Malibu Sue  :banned:

94. “You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)”- Dead or Alive (1984, from Youthquake

https://youtu.be/PGNiXGX2nLU

As an aside, I love the names of these long forgotten albums- Youthquake? Lol. 

This Boy George wannabe (I assume there’s other members of the band, but you’d never know it from the video) managed to deliver a huge hit with this delightfully catchy dance song, and then followed it up with the almost equally catchy “Brand New Lover”. And then vanished. 

Glad this show

This Boy George wannabe (I assume there’s other members of the band, but you’d never know it from the video) managed to deliver a huge hit with this delightfully catchy dance song, and then followed it up with the almost equally catchy “Brand New Lover”. And then vanished. 
Glad this is towards the end of this list. Meh is all I can say, but I do enjoy the  Paul Rudd and Jimmy Fallon version of the video.  :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah.

just because it got play-time and from the era doesn't give it an auto-appearance on any kind of list for me. didn't like it then. like it less now.
i feel the opposite ... to me, this is NEW WAVE 101, and would make my list (plenty of room there, because i wouldn't include many of the artists Tim will)

kitschy/catchy ... top 40ish ear candy fodder.  

Perfectly fine and catchy song. Love it.
this fits perfectly with what we discussed via pms. 

You just have to admire that they took approximately two chords and six words and created a hit out of it.

Kind of like Flock of Seagulls did with I Ran.

yeah.

just because it got play-time and from the era doesn't give it an auto-appearance on any kind of list for me. didn't like it then. like it less now.
i feel the opposite ... to me, this is NEW WAVE 101, and would make my list (plenty of room there, because i wouldn't include many of the artists Tim will)

kitschy/catchy ... top 40ish ear candy fodder. 
It's obviously achieved fame and is seemingly always considered and played on classic "new wave' lists and stations.

I hate it. but it goes back to young, record bin thumbing me realizing the sound and genre had become cynical and sell-outy. this was the apex of that for me. interesting to hear rock liking it... which maybe reinforces that the time and place and age when I heard it (over and over and over) informed my reaction more than the song itself.

I HATE this song.

You just have to admire that they took approximately two chords and six words and created a hit out of it.

Kind of like Flock of Seagulls did with I Ran.
and I loved this tune. and photograph. and most of what they did.

googling when these came out relative to each other...

Does this mean we can expect Madonna to appear on our New Wave countdown too?

and I loved this tune. and photograph. and most of what they did.

googling when these came out relative to each other...
2 years.

that great Flock album (with telecommunication, talking and lots more... produced by bill nelson) came out in 1982 when the sound was still defining itself and just hitting the radio and nascent mtv. 

for me, it's like when that summer of grunge happened (91?) and then somebody coming in two years later and aping the #### out of it. might've been popular, maybe even decent song... but #### them.

Probably one of my favorite songs that I tend to forget about until I hear it again.

for me, it's like when that summer of grunge happened (91?) and then somebody coming in two years later and aping the #### out of it. might've been popular, maybe even decent song... but #### them.
aaahhhh - now i get exactly where you're coming from ... that flesh out makes it crystal  :thumbup:

It's obviously achieved fame and is seemingly always considered and played on classic "new wave' lists and stations.

I hate it. but it goes back to young, record bin thumbing me realizing the sound and genre had become cynical and sell-outy. this was the apex of that for me. interesting to hear rock liking it... which maybe reinforces that the time and place and age when I heard it (over and over and over) informed my reaction more than the song itself.
That could easily be the case. I was so young that I didn't take genres seriously when that came out.

Grunge pretty much started in '89 but really hit in the spring/summer of '91. You're correct.

And Candlebox. Really. #### them, frankly. 

...wasn't he a member of SigueSigue Sputnik for a hot minute?

:popcorn:
IN AUSTRALIA!

That could easily be the case. I was so young that I didn't take genres seriously when that came out.

Grunge pretty much started in '89 but really hit in the spring/summer of '91. You're correct.

And Candlebox. Really. #### them, frankly. 
yeah...new wave started arguably in or just after punk in the late 70s. But 81-82 is when I first started hearing and seeing it away from the avante garde and hitting bigger time crossover. By 84 we had spin me.

Lol candlebox.

Users who are viewing this thread