What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For those who ate fast food in the 80s and 90s (1 Viewer)

Ditkaless Wonders said:
Cleveland city of light, city of magic
Cleveland city of light you're calling me
Cleveland, even now I can remember
Cause the Cuyahoga River
Goes smokin' through my dreams
horrible song and not relevant to Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips

Smack Tripper said:
Mcdonalds, somewhat status quo... the burgers are fresher and not sitting around as much as the 80's and early 90's when there would just be a  cue of them.  The fries suck not cooked in animal fat though, and not frying the apple pies hurts
McDonalds would be smart to start frying their fries in beef tallow again.  Nutritionists are now saying that saturated fat isn't the devil.  A beef tallow promotional campaign would be a massive success.

Leroy Hoard said:
To this day, the geniuses at BK still have not figured out the great mystery of the common french fry.
The irony is how much more salt BK french fries have than McDonald's french fries.  A small McDonald's french fries has 220 calories and 180mg of sodium which is 7% of the RDA.  So 2,000 calories of McDonalds french fries has 1,636mg of sodium or 71% of the RDA.  You'd have to eat 2,800 calories of McDonalds french fries to get 100% of the RDA of 2,300mg of sodium.  So McDonalds french fries are basically a salt neutral food.  On the other hand, a BK value menu french fry has 220 calories and 330mg of sodium.  Almost twice as much sodium.  Both McDonalds and BK have significantly lowered the amount of salt on their fries.  At one time, BK fries had almost 3 times the sodium as McDonald's fries.  It is because BK brines their fries before they freeze them and McDonalds only adds salt after they are fried.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the first time I had a whopper. It was huuuuge. I could barely hold it with both of my hands. TWSS.  Now its just another burger.

I only eat this crap now rarely when I have no other choice after drinking.

Of course Wendy's burgers and McDonald's fries were way better.  

Taco Bell was better.  And I remember Arby's and Rax roast beef sandwiches to be so damn good.  The roast beef was sliced paper thin.

Binky The Doormat said:
Only three left in the entire U.S.  

All in NE Ohio - even one in my old stompin' grounds - Cuyahoga Falls.  
Neat story RE:Arthur Treachers. So one of the guys I have worked with for the past 20 years in 3 different companies was one of (I think) seven kids in the family that was heavily invested in Arthur Treachers. I forget how many franchises his dad owned but he was a multi millionaire. Here's the catch, while dad was rolling in it he had 3 kids with wife #1. As times eventually change, he got divorced and remarried wife #2 and 4 more kids with her. In between that time, Treacher's took a #### and he lost everything so the guy I know grew up scrimping for cash all his life while his 3 older, half siblings always remembered the good ole days when it was trips to the Bahama's for the weekend and lunch in Paris. He said the family reunions are always a hoot.

Their fish & chips were fantastic in the day.

Smack Tripper said:
KFC... worse all around but extra crispy was a decent ad (would guess mid 90's?)
My earliest childhood memories of KFC - Parents only ordered the extra crispy.  It's been around since at least early 80's, maybe 70's.  I didn't even realize they had the regular recipe until I was a junior in high school.

Also - McDonalds fries - they've reduced the salt they put on them a lot.  I'm willing to trade some taste for that.  So taste less awesome, but also less likely to kill me.

My earliest childhood memories of KFC - Parents only ordered the extra crispy.  It's been around since at least early 80's, maybe 70's.  I didn't even realize they had the regular recipe until I was a junior in high school.

Also - McDonalds fries - they've reduced the salt they put on them a lot.  I'm willing to trade some taste for that.  So taste less awesome, but also less likely to kill me.
KFC added extra crispy in 1972.

Meanwhile, Church's Chicken began taking KFC's market share by offering indoor seating and its "Crispy Chicken" product.[58] KFC introduced its own "Extra Crispy Chicken" in 1972.[59]

Took my son to Wendy's last night after his basketball game.  I can't remember the last time I ordered a 'combo meal' at a fast food restaurant.  I quit drinking soda 20 years ago, so I haven't ordered a combo meal for myself in ages.

I about had a heart attack when I saw the price for a Baconator Combo Meal - $10.80!!!!  What the hell?  When did that happen?  I thought the appeal of fast food was the price?  That is far from cheap.  IMO.  Was astonished to have to pay that for a meal at Wendy's.

Took my son to Wendy's last night after his basketball game.  I can't remember the last time I ordered a 'combo meal' at a fast food restaurant.  I quit drinking soda 20 years ago, so I haven't ordered a combo meal for myself in ages.

I about had a heart attack when I saw the price for a Baconator Combo Meal - $10.80!!!!  What the hell?  When did that happen?  I thought the appeal of fast food was the price?  That is far from cheap.  IMO.  Was astonished to have to pay that for a meal at Wendy's.
Prices have gone up at fast food joints over the last five years. Combo meals are generally 8-10 bucks now. Seems like they used to be the "value" option, but now that everybody is lazy and says "Give me a number 6" they decided to pump up the cost. Dollar menus are where the value is now. 

Prices have gone up at fast food joints over the last five years. Combo meals are generally 8-10 bucks now. Seems like they used to be the "value" option, but now that everybody is lazy and says "Give me a number 6" they decided to pump up the cost. Dollar menus are where the value is now. 
My go to at Wendy's is a large double combo w/a chocolate frosty, $9.69 every time.

I remember the first time I had a whopper. It was huuuuge. I could barely hold it with both of my hands. TWSS.  Now its just another burger.
Same here, the whopper was a great discovery for 6 year old me. Like you, I noticed the whopper kept getting smaller and smaller over the next 10 years though. 

I tried an impossible whopper a few months ago and I could definitely tell it was not meat and didn’t think it was very good. 

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/19-mcdonalds-broke-my-heart

This was a good episode of the podcast. Honestly I don’t remember the switch or change to the fries. I was only about 12 or 13. 

I have never had a Big Mac or whopper since I always get some sort of chicken instead. So I don’t know if or how they’ve changed. I definitely still like the fries but must have lots of ketchup. 
I do.  

It was a very big deal.  And a giant taste difference.  

Wish they would go back to the beef tallow since we now know vegetable oil is bad for you.  

Baconator meal with a frosty instead of a drink is my favorite fast food meal, damn the costs (health and financial).

Same here, the whopper was a great discovery for 6 year old me. Like you, I noticed the whopper kept getting smaller and smaller over the next 10 years though. 
Is that like when I went back to my grade school when I was in college to visit a teacher, only to realize the school was much smaller than I remember?

Fillers and preservative use is much more prevalent.  Quality of the produce is lower as it gets picked to ripen in trucks.  etc. etc.  
Could be. But we have more options than ever. Including non-GMO, organic, gluten-free options etc. You're probably right that the over processing of foods is worse than ever.

Users who are viewing this thread