What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is the limiting factor in food spiciness for you? (1 Viewer)

What limits how spicy of food you can eat

• Mouth burning

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Sweating

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Heart burn

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Stomach pains

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • How it hurts coming back out

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters

MTskibum

Footballguy
For me it is how much it hurts coming back out :ph34r:

I love spicy food when I am eating it, if it causes me to be drenched in sweat and my mouth to feel like it is on fire then it is the proper spiciness. However, for the last few years I have been unable to eat spicy foods because the next day it does not feel so good.

Surprisingly, you have taste buds in your colon and at least for me they are more sensitive than the ones in my mouth.

I love the heat, but don't love the "front" heat much - like Tabasco. The first time I had Szechuan and it made me warm all over and the the back of my head started sweating ...

I fell in love. nothing like it.

I don't want to eat an Asian dish without Szechuan peppercorns and blackened dried peppers ...

I will of course, but it's not nearly as good.

Bring it. My tolerance has really increased, I assume this happens as we creep closer to death. One of the benefits, I guess. Watery eyes and maybe a sneeze usually is a good sign.

My entire family tree is Great Britain, so they all tap out at spicy ketchup. Or maybe they just have sensitive taste buds in their floor drain, like @MTskibum

Bring it. My tolerance has really increased, I assume this happens as we creep closer to death. One of the benefits, I guess. Watery eyes and maybe a sneeze usually is a good sign.

My entire family tree is Great Britain, so they all tap out at spicy ketchup. Or maybe they just have sensitive taste buds in their floor drain, like @MTskibum
our taste buds, like our brain cells, die as we age.

this is why ye olden time rulers would use kids as tasters for their food (they were more aware of the taste of poison)... and why my kids are such bitches about eating spicy things.

I voted mouth. Generally I like some heat but as something that adds to the flavor, not something that feels like a challenge.
A comp some might recognize is Heats a Peach for a good level.

I wouldn’t eat anything that was painful. If it’s more than sweating and clearing out the sinus, then I wouldn’t touch it. That said my tolerance is decently high. I order my Thai food medium plus, I am not shy about using a lot of spices and peppers in my cooking. But that’s because it doesn’t hit me hard.

I'm at a point where if there is nothing but burning (like it has no taste) then I'm not onboard. I don't mind the mouth burning, nose running, head sweating aspect of it. Any more, the older I get, the heartburn and indigestion are kinda show stoppers for me. If it's so hot I can feel the stomach acid bubbling like Mt. St. Helens, I gotta tap out, which is a shame because I do really enjoy hot wings or at least I used to. Now the thought of super spicy wings is a complete buzz kill b/c I know I'm going to get sick to my stomach later. I used to kill that fire with beer when I was younger but that ship has sailed.

Bring on the heat, at one point I was growing ghost peppers and worked up quite a tolerance to them. I would cut a little sliver for my friends and wait 10 or 15 minutes for them to get the burn under control and then finish the pepper in front of them.

My daughter loves hot food too. The first time she had chips and hot sauce as a toddler she skipped the chips after one dip and took a spoon after the hot sauce.

I'm one of weirdos who craves really spicy foods. Always have.....my tolerance has grown as I have aged. I have a rotating assortment in my fridge. My wife and kids pretty much stay away from that section of the fridge. Luckily, I don't get many effects on the back end, or heartburn.....honestly, really rich desserts give me more heartburn type symptoms than spicy food.

Born and raised in San Diego (so basically Mexico from a food perspective). I can handle a lot of Mexican spice and it’s best when my sinus are running and I’m breaking a sweat. But funny enough I can handle very little Asian or Indian food heat.

Born and raised in San Diego (so basically Mexico from a food perspective). I can handle a lot of Mexican spice and it’s best when my sinus are running and I’m breaking a sweat. But funny enough I can handle very little Asian or Indian food heat.
From a natural spiciness standpoint Asian spice is on a different level. Even amongst Asian spices, Thai chilis destroy anything Korea has to offer.
I try not to go too wild with the heat; hyperventilating and getting dizzy doesn't make for a good meal.

Bring on the heat, at one point I was growing ghost peppers and worked up quite a tolerance to them. I would cut a little sliver for my friends and wait 10 or 15 minutes for them to get the burn under control and then finish the pepper in front of them.

My daughter loves hot food too. The first time she had chips and hot sauce as a toddler she skipped the chips after one dip and took a spoon after the hot sauce.
Impressive. Have you had carolina reaper? All the videos I've seen of people trying it end in a combo of snot/tears/sweat. :laugh:

I'm at a point where if there is nothing but burning (like it has no taste) then I'm not onboard. I don't mind the mouth burning, nose running, head sweating aspect of it. Any more, the older I get, the heartburn and indigestion are kinda show stoppers for me. If it's so hot I can feel the stomach acid bubbling like Mt. St. Helens, I gotta tap out, which is a shame because I do really enjoy hot wings or at least I used to. Now the thought of super spicy wings is a complete buzz kill b/c I know I'm going to get sick to my stomach later. I used to kill that fire with beer when I was younger but that ship has sailed.
I enjoy a spicy hot that adds flavor to the meal but the stuff that just sets your face on fire doesn't interest me. I use Tony Chachere instead of salt. I'm not afraid of heat but ghost pepper type stuff doesn't do it for me. Much like Sullie, as I've grown older, my tastes have changed. He sums up my current experience pretty well.

Have you had carolina reaper?
I live in the town where Puckerbutt's is located. Supposedly the guy that runs that place came up with the Carolina Reaper. I don't know if he did or not but I've tried some of his stuff and it's top notch. Not for me but you adventurous types would love it. Co-worker had to go to the hospital after trying the chip challenge and that guy eats stuff that can take paint off cars. Enjoy!

Not a big fan when it upsets my stomach, though my tolerance has grown as I’ve been eating more spicy stuff. I find that if a sauce makes me hiccup, it may be a problem for my stomach.

Impressive. Have you had carolina reaper? All the videos I've seen of people trying it end in a combo of snot/tears/sweat. :laugh:
I have not tried one straight. I do want to at some point. I would want to build up my tolerance. I'm at hot jalapeno level currently.

There's a Nashville Hot Chicken place by my office that I love going to once or so a month. I get the "mild" (which is advertised as "normal medium"). I'm thinking of kickin' it up to their "medium", which would probably be "hot" in any other joint. I like it spicy but not too much. If it's too spicy it really isn't flavorful for me.

I do like some spicy crawfish though. That's good.

I am the opposite, I prefer my Mexican food medium, but I have no problem with ordering "secret" level spicy from a Thai joint.

Although true indian and thai level spiciness is too much the next day for me, 10 years ago though.....

From San Francisco (college in San Diego).

I have a higher tolerance for Asian peppers than Mexican/ southwestern…. Very related to the flavors

Not a big fan when it upsets my stomach, though my tolerance has grown as I’ve been eating more spicy stuff. I find that if a sauce makes me hiccup, it may be a problem for my stomach.

I was going to post something similar. I can take most heat and enjoy it. But when it gets super spicy, I get hiccups, and that's less fun.

Love hot food, spicy whatever. I take VA peanuts and sprinkle dried ghost pepper powder on them and eat handfuls of them. Did the chip challenge, no big deal really. Only thing that got me recently was Death by Salsa. I'd had it before but I had been drinking and grabbed it from the fridge and just started shoveling it in with a big spoon. It lit me up a little. Not as bad as this:

Like many others have said all ready , I love spicy food until it overpowers the other flavours in the dish and just burns.
So far spicy food hasnt caused me hearburn or indigestion.

a pet peeve on this subject , is when i am ordering something a restaurant and ask them waitress to tell the cooks to make my meal spicy and they just douse it in tabasco. tabasco isnt that hot or even tasty to me, should only be in ceasers (the drink for non canadians)

Love hot food, spicy whatever. I take VA peanuts and sprinkle dried ghost pepper powder on them and eat handfuls of them. Did the chip challenge, no big deal really. Only thing that got me recently was Death by Salsa. I'd had it before but I had been drinking and grabbed it from the fridge and just started shoveling it in with a big spoon. It lit me up a little. Not as bad as this:

Man now I really want a jar of this

Man now I really want a jar of this
Easy to get but ridiculously expensive.

Used to get Thai food hot as they could make it. After a few years I realized when my mouth is burning, eyes watering and nose running and could only feel the heat and not taste the food it was not enjoyable anymore.

I went from hottest, to medium and now to mild plus. A little heat and burn but can taste all ingredients

Last edited:
Does spicy necessarily mean hot? I don't think so, but I suspect most people have that interpretation. For example, I've had chili before with too much chili powder in it. It can cause weird gritty texture issues affecting the taste and perhaps some digestion issues, but not really produce mouth burn.

I love spicy food, but not when it gets so hot it takes over the taste of the food. Spice is meant to enhance, not to hide the food you're eating.

Does spicy necessarily mean hot? I don't think so, but I suspect most people have that interpretation. For example, I've had chili before with too much chili powder in it. It can cause weird gritty texture issues affecting the taste and perhaps some digestion issues, but not really produce mouth burn.

True, there is a difference between flavor and heat. I love using spices of all different kinds.

Last edited:
I like it a lot kids used to say you burned your taste buds up. Although I generally like it less than I used to. And like above I prefer a much hotter Thai/Indian than mexi.

Have y'all watched the We are the Champions episode on Netflix?

I generally love hot and spicy... but Asian hot messes my stomach up for some reason so I usually pass on it.

My ideal spice level is fresh Serrano. I draw the line at fresh Habanero+. Sauces made from Habanero are generally fine but none of the Reaper/Scorpion ilk for me. On a related note, has anyone else noticed lately that fresh jalapenos seem to have no heat? It almost seems like they'e changed over the years. My wife and I and several of our friends have noticed this.

I love spicy food, but not when it gets so hot it takes over the taste of the food. Spice is meant to enhance, not to hide the food you're eating.
Right...I don't mind the mouth burning a bit. Even where it gets to where your mouth keeps feeling the heat for 20 minutes or so.
Have done some really hot stuff along the lines of the Hot Ones show.
With some really tasty sauces (including the last dab which was definitely really really hot). But that one was fine compared to say "Da Bomb". Which was just all heat and chemical taste vs. the others which had a ton of flavor too.

My ideal spice level is fresh Serrano. I draw the line at fresh Habanero+. Sauces made from Habanero are generally fine but none of the Reaper/Scorpion ilk for me. On a related note, has anyone else noticed lately that fresh jalapenos seem to have no heat? It almost seems like they'e changed over the years. My wife and I and several of our friends have noticed this.
I think so too. Serrano or habanero are my go-to base heat pepper now.

Mild jalapenos started popping up around here 15 or 20 years ago, someone took the time to breed out the heat. If you want old school jalapenos hit a Mexican supermarket.

Also a lot of peppers will cross pollinate, if you plant hot peppers and sweet peppers too close it's like roulette for each pepper whether it's hot or sweet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread