What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (10 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who don’t get what some of us are saying about providing simple leadership. Tune in to Gov. Cuomo’s daily pressers. I don’t care what letter is next to his name, or who his brother is.  This is simple leadership. 
And, on the flip side, there are states with Republican "leadership" that are still going to have elections on Tuesday. The states with elections are Tuesday are also in lockdowns while other states have postponed.

I said it weeks ago, his press conferences are a breath of fresh air in a bad situation.

I stopped watching Trump press conferences, they’re awful, not informative, and basically just rambling whatever is at the top of his head at the time.

* just to note, this isn’t a political post. I don’t care about anything political right now. Simply noting his leadership is abysmal, which isn’t saying Joe Biden is the answer (as Trump supporters feel the need to dig in), just saying Trump certainly isn’t the answer... Maybe he can resign and let Pence take over, I’ll take basically anyone but Trump right now, just horrible!

Last edited by a moderator:
On February 1st Biden called the coronvirus event a crisis. This was before Trump implemented his partial China travel ban.
The China travel ban was January 31st.
Dude. The partial ban was announced on January 31st but did not go in effect until February 2nd. By giving advanced warning, Trump allowed thousands of possibly infected foreign nationals to quickly purchase tickets and fly directly into the US without being screened.

Come on. The actual order is right here on the Whitehouse website.

Raring by Easter!

I’ve wondered when he said that, was he just looking at a calendar and saying, “okay, 3 weeks from now, we’ll get going again.”

& when he was saying that, did anyone in the room ask him what he based that on?
He seems to not have learned his lesson on that one, as the NFL should be starting on time!

And, on the flip side, there are states with Republican "leadership" that are still going to have elections on Tuesday. The states with elections are Tuesday are also in lockdowns while other states have postponed.
I would like to hear from residents of these states to see what their local press conferences are like. I haven’t seen any of them covered on TV where I am (NYC area). Would be great if there are some that are similar to Cuomo’s. 

You may not need to flatten the curve depending on whether the hospitals can deal with an influx of patients. If they can handle it, or arrangements can be made for them to handle it, then you can avoid you flushing your economy down the commode for no reason. 

It's nice there's at least one country not giving into hysteria; when U.S. governor's start taking credit for saving the world, hey Larry Hogan look over there at Sweden... and they got out of it with their jobs too.
I'm not sure there's an expert around saying that even the limited precautions we've taken haven't been necessary.  By all accounts NY is going to probably come to the brink without being catastrophic which is great news, but that wouldn't have been possible without the attempts at flattening.  As NY begins to come out of it, states like mine will likely begin their test along with Michigan and then we'll watch the states like Texas and Georgia beginning to become hotspots.  There's still a long way to go.

Are you okay with holding elections on Tuesday, in presumably, your state of Wisconsin? If so, how can you justify being okay with holding them? Virtually every other state has postponed them.
I'm not.  Horrible decision not to postpone.  I've heard that quite a few polling places in Milwaukee won't be open either due to lack of poll workers.  GOP knows what they're doing to help keep Kelly on the Supreme Court.

For those who don’t get what some of us are saying about providing simple leadership. Tune in to Gov. Cuomo’s daily pressers. I don’t care what letter is next to his name, or who his brother is.  This is simple leadership. 
Just listen to when Pence talks as well..real leadership.

Also...most all have praised Pence during this while criticizing Trump...showing again its not a partisan thing.

Parliament passed a law to prepare for a possible lockdown. Not set in stone. 

Your prediction of death tolls forcing the issue ignores the death tolls in countries where they have done lockdowns. Perhaps the Swedes see this and decide against adding economic woes to a problem lockdowns won't fix.
Washington State recorded the first corona virus death on Feb 29th, although I believe that was case was discovered posthumously.  In the first week of March the Coronavirus ripped through a nursing home and killed multiple residents and staff.    By March 7th we led the country in total number of cases, with 140.   New York was a little behind us with 110.  Our governor - Jay Inslee - responded quickly and forcefully, with meetings, events, and any gathering banned, bars and restaurants closed, and work from home if possible directions issued.   The Seattle metro region, where virtually all of those cases have been found, clamped down successfully.   One chart I saw had the average Seatllite traveling a total of 61 feet away from their residence on a daily basis, as compared to several miles before the lockdown.

Happy to say that we’re now #10 in the country in total number of cases, despite testing a higher# of people per capita than any other state.  We’re at 7,000 total, while New York, which waited several weeks longer to respond to the virus, is over 100,000.

I’m not going to argue that lockdowns automatically work, b/c you obviously need to population to buy in it, but they most certainly can work.

One of the sad elements of this whole episode - no matter how you think Trump should have acted here - he flubbed it.

Think the fears are overblown, and businesses should be up and running - Trump flubbed it.

Think that we should have locked down sooner to prevent the spread - Trump flubbed it.

At the end of the day - Trump had no plan, and that meant every decision was being made in the heat of the moment, influenced by emotion, and not rational thinking.  The man is not fit to lead.
/thread

I would like to hear from residents of these states to see what their local press conferences are like. I haven’t seen any of them covered on TV where I am (NYC area). Would be great if there are some that are similar to Cuomo’s. 
Governor Lee here (yeah out primary is dine)...his press conferences have been ok deferring to experts.  But he has deferred so much to the counties and hesitated to shut many things down.  Not been a fan of some of his decisions there

Mayor Cooper in Nashville has done better IMO...quicker and more decisive and his press conferences have been very good.  As, from what I have heard from others, have other mayors around the state.

I'm not.  Horrible decision not to postpone.  I've heard that quite a few polling places in Milwaukee won't be open either due to lack of poll workers.  GOP knows what they're doing to help keep Kelly on the Supreme Court.
Begging for workers on nextdoor. 

Washington State recorded the first corona virus death on Feb 29th, although I believe that was case was discovered posthumously.  In the first week of March the Coronavirus ripped through a nursing home and killed multiple residents and staff.    By March 7th we led the country in total number of cases, with 140.   New York was a little behind us with 110.  Our governor - Jay Inslee - responded quickly and forcefully, with meetings, events, and any gathering banned, bars and restaurants closed, and work from home if possible directions issued.   The Seattle metro region, where virtually all of those cases have been found, clamped down successfully.   One chart I saw had the average Seatllite traveling a total of 61 feet away from their residence on a daily basis, as compared to several miles before the lockdown.

Happy to say that we’re now #10 in the country in total number of cases, despite testing a higher# of people per capita than any other state.  We’re at 7,000 total, while New York, which waited several weeks longer to respond to the virus, is over 100,000.

I’m not going to argue that lockdowns automatically work, b/c you obviously need to population to buy in it, but they most certainly can work.
They work temporarily. Washington going to do this til a vaccine comes out?

One of the sad elements of this whole episode - no matter how you think Trump should have acted here - he flubbed it.

Think the fears are overblown, and businesses should be up and running - Trump flubbed it.

Think that we should have locked down sooner to prevent the spread - Trump flubbed it.

At the end of the day - Trump had no plan, and that meant every decision was being made in the heat of the moment, influenced by emotion, and not rational thinking.  The man is not fit to lead.
Correct, and he has displayed this behavior long before now.  Seems to base a lot of decisions on whowever had his ear that morning or whatever Fox was saying that day.  

In Cali here.  I’m was pretty middled on Newsome prior to this (he’s to far left for me) and my wife couldn’t stand him.  He’s been downright excellent during this crisis, my wife’s been praising his news conferences and decisive actions from the jump. He’s showing excellent leadership and I’m happy he’s in charge right now. 

Challenge Everything said:
I was curious about your statement.

180 polling places down to 5? That must be a Republican's dream.
It will backfire IMO.

Likely for the first time ever, a Republican President's approval with Likely/Registered voters is WORSE than his approval with all adults.  Republicans typically have a decent advantage there.  Trump is -3% +/- with everyone and -5% +/- with likely voters.

And Dems are going to be hyper motivated in November.  Voting against Trump is literally one of the only things I'd leave my house for right now.  In fact I haven't been in another building for 3 weeks.  As long as grocery delivery holds it might be the only thing that would get me out of my neighborhood today.

Throw in the inevitable decline in his polling performance over the next six months and it's going to be a steep hill for him to climb.

Challenge Everything said:
Are you okay with holding elections on Tuesday, in presumably, your state of Wisconsin? If so, how can you justify being okay with holding them? Virtually every other state has postponed them.
I am not up on this, but I thought my wife mentioned he claimed that he couldn't legally shut down the elections? Or legislation wouldn't vote for that? 

cloppbeast said:
They work temporarily. Washington going to do this til a vaccine comes out?
We’re going to do it until it’s safe to come out.   That time will probably arrive sooner than a vaccine, if the info on asymptomatic carriers proves to be correct.  I’m sure large public gatherings (stadiums, concerts, etc) will continue to be banned  for a while even once the restrictions are eased.

For comparisons sake, I give you Italy and their hospital system.   The Italians carried on in Trump style denial, and now they’re on much stronger lockdown than washington, and by the way their hospitals are ####ed.   New York heading that way quickly.  Yet somehow you find this outcome preferable?

Amused to Death said:
I'm not a resident of MD (my dad is) but Hogan seems very reasonable.
I've never voted for, and may never vote for him due to his active disdain for and policies against the largest city in the state, but he's been great. Clear communicator, clear leadership, chart instructions. Acting based on expert opinion, and acting decisively.  I'm happy to have him at the helm right now.

I am not up on this, but I thought my wife mentioned he claimed that he couldn't legally shut down the elections? Or legislation wouldn't vote for that? 
From the reading I've done this morning, I'm not sure why he can't but Evers has stated he is not able to do so without the Assembly. Maybe other state legislatures have worked together with their governors while Wisconsin's hasn't. I'm not sure where the confusion is.

This article doesn't pinpoint anything really either.

Maybe more reasons in this article.

It would appear to be that the Republican legislature is okay with a "hurricane" of sickness and death but maybe Republicans are okay with that.

The following I found via reddit, but

Republicans ask US Supreme Court to block absentee extension.

Gov Evers special session lasted one minute as Republicans gaveled in and gaveled out.

I've never voted for, and may never vote for him due to his active disdain for and policies against the largest city in the state, but he's been great. Clear communicator, clear leadership, chart instructions. Acting based on expert opinion, and acting decisively.  I'm happy to have him at the helm right now.
My dad, a lifelong union Democrat, says that's one Republican he could vote for.

cloppbeast said:
You may not need to flatten the curve depending on whether the hospitals can deal with an influx of patients. If they can handle it, or arrangements can be made for them to handle it, then you can avoid you flushing your economy down the commode for no reason. 

It's nice there's at least one country not giving into hysteria; when U.S. governor's start taking credit for saving the world, hey Larry Hogan look over there at Sweden... and they got out of it with their jobs too.
I'd be surprised if Anders Tegnell is still the head of the Swedish CDC once this is over, but I've been wrong before.

>>Dr. Lynn Goldman, dean of the Milken Institute School of Public Health at George Washington University, says she was surprised to read the document guidance, after Reuters pointed it out to her. “Geez!” she said. “No references, no nothing! Why would CDC be publishing anecdotes? That doesn’t make sense. This is very unusual.”

Flier, the former Harvard dean, agreed. “It’s kind of offering these drugs up and suggesting that doctors might prescribe them when it’s obviously not established whether or not they are effective or harmful,” he said.

...The CDC would not disclose the identities of the authors who prepared the document, nor detail its sourcing. 

A paper in Annals of Internal Medicine, the premier internal medicine journal, this week warned of the dangers of touting the drugs, given the unproven evidence and their potential shortage for other uses, such as treatment for patients with lupus.

In a statement to Reuters, the paper’s authors, Drs. Jinoos Yazdany and Alfred H.J. Kim, on one hand called the CDC document “direct and factual, if its purpose is to outline what we do know.”

But they also expressed concern that the guidance may “leave the reader free to interpret this information depending on their bias. We do think a document like this should more clearly state what this means for health care providers.”

Noting the president’s tweets in their report, the authors urged the medical community and the U.S. government to send “clear messages” that include a proper interpretation of available data “to counteract misinformation, including misleading statements or articles with ‘clickbait’ material.”<<

Correct.  Gov Evers cannot postpone without legislative approval which is controlled by GOP.  It's in the WI Constitution. 

Correct.  Gov Evers cannot postpone without legislative approval which is controlled by GOP.  It's in the WI Constitution.  GOP will not postpone and would rather put people in harm and limit turnout so they can keep a supreme court seat. 
That is the only conclusion I can gather from the reading I have done this morning. Wisconsin Republicans should be put through the ringer but if they get a 10-year Supreme Court seat out of it... it would appear to be they would rather risk a few lives for that power. Shameful. I doubt any Republican, Wisconsin or otherwise, can justify these actions. None.

That is the only conclusion I can gather from the reading I have done this morning. Wisconsin Republicans should be put through the ringer but if they get a 10-year Supreme Court seat out of it... it would appear to be they would rather risk a few lives for that power. Shameful. I doubt any Republican, Wisconsin or otherwise, can justify these actions. None.
can't justify but certainly will support it...

It's sad man, and my wife will be working one of these polls.  I'm trying not to point fingers and push blame on the WI GOP but it's hard.  They're putting their politics above the people at all costs.  Makes my voting decisions very easy.

It's sad man, and my wife will be working one of these polls.  I'm trying not to point fingers and push blame on the WI GOP but it's hard.  They're putting their politics above the people at all costs.  Makes my voting decisions very easy.
as others have said, this is a dream come true for republicans.  Followers that believe this is a hoax and will turn out in droves, normal people will stay home out of fear and limited voting options....it's all their plans coming together at once.

as others have said, this is a dream come true for republicans.  Followers that believe this is a hoax and will turn out in droves, normal people will stay home out of fear and limited voting options....it's all their plans coming together at once.
So you think this was planned?

So you think this was planned?
the response is very much planned...they are pushing it through for these exact reasons.  Why not use a good crisis to ensure your power...

Feel free to justify it because that's what your inane remark is trying to set up.  You are fishing so hard

It just feels like something every person with common sense can agree with here...that this is a bad idea and it's only goal is to consolidate power.  But you prove otherwise i guess...

the response is very much planned...they are pushing it through for these exact reasons.  Why not use a good crisis to ensure your power...

Feel free to justify it because that's what your inane remark is trying to set up.  You are fishing so hard

It just feels like something every person with common sense can agree with here...that this is a bad idea and it's only goal is to consolidate power.  But you prove otherwise i guess...
Oh ok. Wow..good luck with that common sense. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread