What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wisconsin resident here and I would say almost all of Wisconsin residents are appalled at the decision to go ahead with Tuesday's primary. Not sure who they blame. I really don't care. Both the Gov. and the Republican controlled legislature are at fault.  Evers waited until Saturday to do anything about it. The Republicans refuse to give in as conservative Supreme Court judge Kelly is up for reelection for another 10 years and the Republicans see it going their way if the election is held Tuesday. Evers has bungled a lot in his handling things and failed to push for a delay sooner. The republicans are throwing the safety and health of the residents aside in order to get their way. That's much more sinister and evil than mismanagement. If the Republicans fail to act between now and Tuesday I will never vote for a republican again.

Milwaukee County cannot get enough workers for the polls. They will consolidate down from 80+ polling places to 5. 5!!!  That's a lot of people all in one place. It's simply irresponsible. Evers has asked the National Guard to help at the polls. Guardsmen if possible will help out their local municipality. Communities around WI have really been pushing absentee voting so that should help most smaller communities but it's not enough. But in Milwaukee you are just sending people to slaughter. They've had drive up early voting for the last couple of weeks but it's nowhere near enough.

On a personal note. I work for the small business of a WI republican state representative. 2 part time workers have been laid off. 3 full-time workers (including myself) have had our hours reduced to 20 hours a week. He and his wife are working from home. I fall in to that at-risk category as I take medications that suppress the immune system for treatment of a chronic disease. I don't mind going in to work 3 days of the week as there is limited exposure to the public. I'm working Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. It breaks up the week. Here's the major problem though. They have a lady who comes in on Wednesday afternoons to do the bookkeeping. I will also be there Wednesday afternoon. She is a poll worker in a small community and will be working the polls Tuesday. Most have voted early or absentee but they will still have somewhere between 50-100 residents show up. They are dong everything they can to protect the poll workers. But that is still a lot of exposure to who knows what. I will be talking to the boss on Monday and asking if they plan on having her not coming in for the next 2 weeks. If she is coming in I will not be going in. I cannot risk having her exposed to a carrier and then me being exposed as a result. Problem I have is if I take the next two Wednesdays off when she is there she will still be exposed to my other coworkers who would be at risk and then me as well.

I am livid.

Why was their no travel ban on Italy and S. Korea?  

It is so dangerous that you have to ban travel with China but at no point down the road with Italy and S. Korea?

Correct.  Gov Evers cannot postpone without legislative approval which is controlled by GOP.  It's in the WI Constitution. 
Evers has options. He also supported the elections going forward until like two days ago, which is of course purely political at this point. 

He is using the excuse to not try the other options because he is saying it could weaken those options in the future if the supreme court overturned him. 

Its crap. He should have opposed the election going forward right away.

Evers has options. He also supported the elections going forward until like two days ago, which is of course purely political at this point. 

He is using the excuse to not try the other options because he is saying it could weaken those options in the future if the supreme court overturned him. 

Its crap. He should have opposed the election going forward right away.
Agreed. Evers has options. And he totally mismanaged this. But the Republicans know exactly what they are doing and are doing it to further their political agenda. It's evil!

And this is coming from someone who has generally voted right of center my entire life.

A nurse I know in New Jersey gave me this info today just in case some of you don't appreciate how serious this is

"We have 2 nurses in my unit who have tested positive to Covid. Another has symptoms and is getting tested.  We are so short staffed that our manager said we won't be taking admissions until staff issue is dealt with.  If we can't fill all holes in schedule, we will be closing unit".

For comparisons sake, I give you Italy and their hospital system.   The Italians carried on in Trump style denial, and now they’re on much stronger lockdown than washington, and by the way their hospitals are ####ed.   New York heading that way quickly.  Yet somehow you find this outcome preferable?
The notable differences between Italy's health care system and ours have already been posted in this thread.

I am confident that there will never be a time in the future when I look back and say: "Gosh, I wish Trump were still president!"
I'd be shocked by that as well. Has a liberal ever pined for GWB?  Is suggesting he would have had the US better prepared for an epidemic the closest we'll ever get?

I am confident that there will never be a time in the future when I look back and say: "Gosh, I wish Trump were still president!"
I totally agree. But then, I was absolutely convinced I would never say that about GWB, too. And here we are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Surgeon General on Meet the Press today.

3 months in.

Whether it came to testing, ventilators, masks or social distancing he had to spin his answers.  He didn’t have confidence.

I’m not talking confidence that things will be ok.  I’m talking confidence that they are doing a good job preparing.

We suggest...yada yada yada.

No one in control.

Surgeon General on Meet the Press today.

3 months in.

Whether it came to testing, ventilators, masks or social distancing he had to spin his answers.  He didn’t have confidence.

I’m not talking confidence that things will be ok.  I’m talking confidence that they are doing a good job preparing.

We suggest...yada yada yada.

No one in control.
Good thing we can always count on you for an unbiased interpretation.  :lmao:

Wondering what the Trump supporters' stance is on the reports that red/swing states are getting all the supplies they request while blue states are receiving fractions of what is requested. 

1) Fake news/liberal BS manufactured to slander the President. I assume this will be the top vote-getter by a country mile. 

2) Smart strategy. This will help him get re-elected by fostering goodwill among voters in those states pivotal to his campaign. 

3) Mess with the bull, you get the horns. Next time, maybe you'll support the President and not try to impeach him. 
Can the decision making be proven? Who is making the call on how much of these requests get filled?

A nurse I know in New Jersey gave me this info today just in case some of you don't appreciate how serious this is

"We have 2 nurses in my unit who have tested positive to Covid. Another has symptoms and is getting tested.  We are so short staffed that our manager said we won't be taking admissions until staff issue is dealt with.  If we can't fill all holes in schedule, we will be closing unit".
And due to HIPPA the rest of the staff can't be told who they are. Be nice to know if I was working there how close of contact I had with who ever tested positive

So I was duped into a couple press conferences because I was told that Trump was doing a really good job.  In one he blamed Obama for faulty test kits.  In the second one Pence continued to be the voice of reason from a political perspective as Trump basically shot down Fauci's opinion with "meh, we can't let the solution be worse than the problem".  I'm not sure what that even means, but there is a glaring question in my mind.

WTF is the CDC?  They aren't on that stage and I am wondering why.  It's unfathomable that the people supposedly spearheading this thing are nowhere to be found.  Have they had a presence in all the other ones and it just so happened the two I did watch they weren't there?  I mean, I even saw DeVos on the stage for one of them, but the CDC?  Nope...nowhere to be found.

Ohio plans random population testing to help determine how many people have coronavirus

"During Saturday’s daily COVID-19 briefing, Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton announced a team will be made up of amateur epidemiologists, equipped with technology, to take on the effort. They’ll start with a random sample of 100 asymptomatic people.

“We’re trying to get a better sense of who’s out there, what’s going on in the general population,” she said......

Massachusetts has a similar effort underway with Boston nonprofit Partners in Health, where about 1,000 people are to start contact tracing, which is a strategy of pinpointing the source of an infection, then people who have been in close contact with them and referring some of them to be tested."

This is good obviously, but I'm still amazed not everybody is doing this. It's been apparent for at least a week now that testing only people with symptoms is a flawed bias filled sample. But I shouldn't get greedy I guess.

Ohio plans random population testing to help determine how many people have coronavirus

"

During Saturday’s daily COVID-19 briefing, Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton announced a team will be made up of amateur epidemiologists, equipped with technology, to take on the effort. They’ll start with a random sample of 100 asymptomatic people.

“We’re trying to get a better sense of who’s out there, what’s going on in the general population,” she said......

Massachusetts has a similar effort underway with Boston nonprofit Partners in Health, where about 1,000 people are to start contact tracing, which is a strategy of pinpointing the source of an infection, then people who have been in close contact with them and referring some of them to be tested."

This is good obviously, but I'm still amazed not everybody is doing this. It's been apparent for at least a week now that testing only people with symptoms is a flawed bias filled sample. But I shouldn't get greedy I guess.
There simply just aren’t enough tests. I live in a hot spot, and you really have to be quite symptomatic to get a test. 

What do you have to lose? Take it,” the president said. “I really think they should take it. But it’s their choice. And it’s their doctor’s choice or the doctors in the hospital. But hydroxychloroquine. Try it, if you’d like.”

Cant believe how idiotic this is.

Next time you see the future and know something like this was coming I think we would all appreciate a heads up before it hits. TIA. 
Not that I want the PSF folk spilling over into the FFA, but it's baffling to me that there were several people over there talking about what was coming and seem to be fairly confident.  Just odd that the Federal government didn't have that insight, or didn't see the seriousness of it.  

Been said several times before, but the complete shutdown of Wuhan should have put the world on alert and that gave plenty of time to make sure we had a plan in place in case it found it's way into our borders.   Decisive actions and leadership is what people are asking for.  That should be job description #1 for people running a country.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread