What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (8 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing rapid testing gets ramped up too.

The important answer is that messaging will be better coordinated and there will be a national plan working with the states rather than pitting them against each other.

Considering how things are going now with Thanksgiving and Christmas likely to drive it to extremes, the worst of the pandemic likely will hit just before Biden takes office. It’s gonna take a couple months before we're able to recover but I think a return to semi-normalcy may happen in the summer if the vaccines prove to be effective.
And I believe in a Biden administration far more than a Trump administration to properly distribute the vaccine and not claim its some cure he developed himself.

The important answer is that messaging will be better coordinated and there will be a national plan working with the states rather than pitting them against each other.

Considering how things are going now with Thanksgiving and Christmas likely to drive it to extremes, the worst of the pandemic likely will hit just before Biden takes office. It’s gonna take a couple months before we're able to recover but I think a return to semi-normalcy may happen in the summer if the vaccines prove to be effective.
I thought this too until the last couple days. 

There would also be an attempt to get the governors together to get on the same page and states wouldnt likely be competing with each other for resources or supplies

Serious question because I don’t know

What exactly would be different with the pandemic if Biden’s team took over tomorrow?
Here is his plan. In short, Biden endorses a unified pandemic management strategy based on guidance from scientists. Or pretty much the opposite of Trump’s approach.

Are there any specific changes you’d like to see?

Why? Did I miss something?
I dont think rapid testing is popular among epidemiologists(unless by rapid testing you dont mean a less accurate, but much more widespread test).  Some seem supportive of it, but I am still reading so many "false sense of security" arguments around it. 

Here is his plan. In short, Biden endorses a unified pandemic management strategy based on guidance from scientists. Or pretty much the opposite of Trump’s approach.

Are there any specific changes you’d like to see?
So that’s from before he was elected and mostly about the economy and relief

Hows he going to get people to wear masks? 

He can “listen to scientists” all he wants. I see people everyday inside stores with no mask. Airports are full this week. 

Hows Joe gonna change all that?

He can “listen to scientists” all he wants. I see people everyday inside stores with no mask. Airports are full this week. 

By himself, he probably can't, other than any minor affects from the entire administration setting a good example as opposed to Trump and co.  Obviously, he could have Fauci and others give non-stop reminders on TV that masks work.  How much will that help, given the pro-Trump crowd already has their heels dug in on this?  Probably not that much.

In theory, Congress could, if it chose, make funding via a second stimulus bill contingent upon states having mask mandates.  That's certainly not going to happen unless the GA Senate runoffs go a particular way, and likely not even then.

Ensure that every person who needs a test can get one – and that testing for those who need it is free. Individuals should also not have to pay anything out of their own pockets for the visit at which the test is ordered, regardless of their immigration status. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) must draw on advice from outside scientists to clarify the criteria for testing, including consideration of prioritizing first responders and health care workers so they can return to addressing the crisis.
I personally enjoy this paragraph. 

Ensure that every person who needs a test can get one – and that testing for those who need it is free. Individuals should also not have to pay anything out of their own pockets for the visit at which the test is ordered, regardless of their immigration status. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) must draw on advice from outside scientists to clarify the criteria for testing, including consideration of prioritizing first responders and health care workers so they can return to addressing the crisis.
I personally enjoy this paragraph.
I assume you're suggesting that the two sections you bolded are contradictory?  Not to say I necessarily agree with this paragraph as policy, but the two bolded actually do not contradict each other because the first section says "who needs a test" rather than "who wants a test".  The second bolded section seems to be adding more info on how they would define "need".

Not sure he can at this point. 

Would you agree that we would have more compliance around masking and less of a politicization of this pandemic if Trump had not tried to deny it and downplay it from the very beginning?  I feel like the “it’s just a flu“ and Trump supporter Venn diagram has significant overlap.

I assume you're suggesting that the two sections you bolded are contradictory?  Not to say I necessarily agree with this paragraph as policy, but the two bolded actually do not contradict each other because the first section says "who needs a test" rather than "who wants a test".  The second bolded section seems to be adding more info on how they would define "need".
I read it as we will redefine the metrics that we will definitely reach at some point in time in the future, probably after we reached them. 

ETA: also anything that involves prioritizing automatically means that some people that need one, might have to wait. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Would you agree that we would have more compliance around masking and less of a politicization of this pandemic if Trump had not tried to deny it and downplay it from the very beginning?  I feel like the “it’s just a flu“ and Trump supporter Venn diagram has significant overlap.
More masks? Maybe. Probably

Less politicization? Nah

I read it as we will redefine the metrics that we will definitely reach at some point in time in the future, probably after we reached them. 

ETA: also anything that involves prioritizing automatically means that some people that need one, might have to wait. 
I didn't get that at all (your first note above).  Yes, anything with prioritizing means some will have to wait.  At some level, everyone has to wait, whether it's minutes, hours, or days.  Around here, we're now at "next day" level of service, with a 2-3 day turnaround on results.

2 million through TSA checkpoints Saturday n Sunday 

Joe gonna make it all better
How about lay blame where it should be on this rather than complaining about Joe Biden who does not yet hold office and is being shut out of transition by the current administration.

Seems odd to just whine about Joe on this...

I didn't get that at all (your first note above).  Yes, anything with prioritizing means some will have to wait.  At some level, everyone has to wait, whether it's minutes, hours, or days.  Around here, we're now at "next day" level of service, with a 2-3 day turnaround on results.
Then everybody that needs a test now can get one. Just depends how long you have to wait! 

Then everybody that needs a test now can get one. Just depends how long you have to wait! 
I think that's criticizing just to criticize.  I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that "Everyone who needs a test can get one" is the functional equivalent of "Everyone who needs a test can get one reasonably quickly".

You were the one that made the excuse, not me. 
I'm honestly confused what you're arguing at this point.  I was merely pointing out that the two sections you bolded in the original paragraph are not, in fact, contradictory (assuming that's what you were trying to imply).  They clearly aren't.

Fwiw I think Trump would have won the election had he just worn a mask and not downplayed it from the very beginning 

I'm honestly confused what you're arguing at this point.  I was merely pointing out that the two sections you bolded in the original paragraph are not, in fact, contradictory (assuming that's what you were trying to imply).  They clearly aren't.
The problem is that you want an argument. I said I found something amusing. I then told you why I found it amusing. We are here because you for some reason are focused on being right about something that has nothing to do with me..

Will it make you feel better if I publicly agree with you that want and need are different? Something that isn't mentioned in Biden's statement and something I never said otherwise? 

You have brought that up twice now so it must be important to you.

Fwiw I think Trump would have won the election had he just worn a mask and not downplayed it from the very beginning 
I find the story line regarding this kind of fascinating and I do wonder how it would have played out. Trump was pretty much the second politician to advocate(at least of DC) for wearing a face covering. Some people criticized him for it. He quickly turned on it and I wonder if that was in response to feedback from his base or just to contradict once all the medical professionals were on board. 

The problem is that you want an argument. I said I found something amusing. I then told you why I found it amusing. We are here because you for some reason are focused on being right about something that has nothing to do with me..

Will it make you feel better if I publicly agree with you that want and need are different? Something that isn't mentioned in Biden's statement and something I never said otherwise? 

You have brought that up twice now so it must be important to you.
OK, let's start over.  What about that paragraph did you find amusing?  I admit I assumed you found the two bolded sections contradictory.  If that's incorrect, mea culpa.

Funny how different one’s experience is, based largely on geopolitical division in this country. Shortly after the pandemic gained footing in the US, our state leaders mandated indoor mask use. Since that time, I’ve not seen a single person go maskless, except those in restaurants. Are you suggesting people aren’t wearing masks on planes/in airports?

I’m not sure Biden will be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube for the more belligerent anti-mask contingent, but consistent messaging and behavior from local and national leadership can make a difference. Financial incentive for following the rules and/or disincentive for breaking them also will help, which needs to be tied into the economic relief.

Why do you think some areas are more compliant with masks than others? 

Funny how different one’s experience is, based largely on geopolitical division in this country. Shortly after the pandemic gained footing in the US, our state leaders mandated indoor mask use. Since that time, I’ve not seen a single person go maskless, except those in restaurants. Are you suggesting people aren’t wearing masks on planes/in airports?

I’m not sure Biden will be able to put the toothpaste back in the tube for the more belligerent anti-mask contingent, but consistent messaging and behavior from local and national leadership can make a difference. Financial incentive for following the rules and/or disincentive for breaking them also will help, which needs to be tied into the economic relief.

Why do you think some areas are more compliant with masks than others? 
I see people everytime I go in a grocery store or Walmart without a mask

Went in a hardware store cpl weeks ago and was the only one wearing a mask

Same in a gun shop last week

Even the employees in both were maskless 

I haven’t been in an airport since Covid hit but from what I’ve seen I would bet a large sum of money that even if every one of the 2 million posted about earlier were wearing a mask, a decent amount don’t have it over their nose

🤷🏻‍♂️

I haven’t been in an airport since Covid hit but from what I’ve seen I would bet a large sum of money that even if every one of the 2 million posted about earlier were wearing a mask, a decent amount don’t have it over their nose

🤷🏻‍♂️
My small section of the world is nearly 100% mask wearing.   At some point, I assume that you hit a tipping point where you don't want to be one of the few not wearing a mask. 

I was at the airport recently and masks were being worn correctly.   The only place they weren't was on the plane, where there was no enforcement.   Second time I've flown since March and both times flight attendants just didn't care.   

🤷🏻‍♂️
That's unfortunate, but totally different from my experience. Aside from eating venues, the only place I see inconsistent mask use is outdoors.

It's almost as if repetition, peer pressure/local norms and mandates can actually influence behavior?

And the vast majority of people are wearing them correctly. But realize we don't need 100% compliance to mitigate SARS-CoV-2 spread.

Napa Valley is north of San Francisco. Well away from the Los Angeles area.
I changed subjects - I was asking about the current restaurant ban in LA.  Didn't know if city or county.  The county stuff, from what I've seen, is insane (treating all LA county like it's worst parts - crushing businesses in the process, etc.).

I changed subjects - I was asking about the current restaurant ban in LA.  Didn't know if city or county.  The county stuff, from what I've seen, is insane (treating all LA county like it's worst parts - crushing businesses in the process, etc.).
LA county is pretty much wall to wall urban / suburban. There are no gaps to speak of in terms of population coverage. I don't know how you treat one part of it differently than another - the virus isn't going to magically limit itself to downtown and Santa Monica if those are the only places in the county that have restrictions.

Businesses are going to get crushed regardless. Attempting to mitigate short term is probably best for their prospects long term. Something this country seems incapable of understanding.

:confused: Lancaster and Palmdale have populations of 150,000+ each. They're the 163rd and 165th largest cities in the United States.
And a whole lot of people that live there have jobs located in other parts of LA County.  Just because it feels like the desert (and is) doesn't mean it's disconnected from the Valley or LA basin.

The media would have played it the exact same way no matter how Trump handled it. No chance it wouldn't have been less politicized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread