What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Government Response To The Coronavirus (7 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That experiment has already been conducted. Hawaii loosened restrictions gradually, starting with outdoor activities. A few weeks later cases spiked, with only a smattering of business reopenings. While there were many variables in play, it’s reasonable to conclude some of the spike was related to huge crowds on and around beaches - crowds as big as I’ve ever seen. That doesn’t mean beachgoers were solely responsible, nor does it mean other outdoor activities pose equally high risk. The problem is, people have a tendency to push limits and try to get away with as much as possible.

The idea that people will just seek other high risk activities regardless of the restrictions is flawed. Hell, we went an entire month with only single digit daily cases, in a place with relatively high population density.
What date ranges we talking here? I can see plenty of times where there are news articles about hawaii beaches reopening and there is no matching spike that you say.

Also cant imagine how an island that shuts down incoming cases can go a while without having lots of cases. That seems so weird!!!

ETA: also weird that in hawaii after beaches being inexplicably shut down, there might be a pent up demand. lolololollololollol

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderna's coronavirus vaccine is 94.5% effective, according to company data

This is GREAT news 

Moderna's vaccine can be kept at minus 20 degrees Celsius. Other vaccines, such as the one against chickenpox, need to be kept at that temperature.

That means Moderna's vaccine can be kept in "a readily available freezer that is available in most doctors' offices and pharmacies," Zacks said. "We leverage infrastructure that already exists for other marketed vaccines."

Another advantage of Moderna's vaccine is that it can be kept for 30 days in the refrigerator, the company announced Monday. Pfizer's vaccine can last only five days in the refrigerator.
Dow futures jump 400 points as Moderna says it has a highly effective Covid vaccine as well

Traders were also excited after Moderna said its vaccine remains stable at 36 to 46 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature of a standard home or medical refrigerator, for up to 30 days. It can be stored for up to six months at negative 4 degrees Fahrenheit.

By comparison, Pfizer's vaccine requires a storage temperature of minus 94 degrees Fahrenheit.

It is great news. But it’s also likely to make people more resistant to new restrictions. And the hospitals continue to fill up to capacity. 

Awesome as to effectiveness and storage issues.  Sadly, a vaccine has become our only strategy, and it is sure to bring out the anti-vax crowd.  We have hospitals on diversion in our area, meaning that they are turning COVID and other patients away, and local governments STILL won't enact a mandatory mask requirement because it's seen as cowtowing to the liberals.  It's absolute lunacy.

they are turning COVID and other patients away, and local governments STILL won't enact a mandatory mask requirement because it's seen as cowtowing to the liberals.  It's absolute lunacy.
What area is this?  Political decisions like this are why we can't have nice things. 

Awesome as to effectiveness and storage issues.  Sadly, a vaccine has become our only strategy, and it is sure to bring out the anti-vax crowd.  We have hospitals on diversion in our area, meaning that they are turning COVID and other patients away, and local governments STILL won't enact a mandatory mask requirement because it's seen as cowtowing to the liberals.  It's absolute lunacy.
Same way in my area. :(

Be safe GB. 

While I'm not exactly in an area where this mindset is predominant, I am all too familiar as I have family members who think it's all overblown and some of the numbers are manipulated.  The only explanation I can come up with is tribalism plus a healthy dose of "God is in control" - meaning, no matter what situation arises, God is in control of it so we shouldn't stress about it and just accept it.  When you believe that there's more to life than this world then it stands to reason that some of those people won't consider dying to be the worst thing in the world.  I'm not even making a judgement on that mindset one way or the other - just that it exists and I find it impossible to argue.  Ultimately, those are some of the people we need to protect ourselves from because they put the rest of us in danger.

Can't wait for the wave of posters here to accuse this governor of not caring if people die or not.
NOBODY should be above the regulations and suggestions we are asking for.   

In the article, I also read:

The guests and the restaurant followed all applicable state and county public health guidance," the spokesperson said. "The guests specifically required outdoor seating. And that’s outdoor seating, as confirmed and provided by the restaurant.”  

Like Pelosi, he's not practicing what he's preaching, and it's not acceptable.
I've always thought him to be a big doofus....now I know he's a big doofus and completely lacking in self awareness. That said, I'm confident there is a good chance something is missing from the story given the source, but optics in this time are paramount.  He failed on that front and just created a "whatabout" opportunity for others.

I’m not the biggest fan of Newsom but I’ve been to the French Laundry during the pandemic. They’re extremely careful about social distancing. Most of the inside of the restaurant isn’t used for seating, perhaps 10% of its normal capacity. I may be missing something but this doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. 

I’m not the biggest fan of Newsom but I’ve been to the French Laundry during the pandemic. They’re extremely careful about social distancing. Most of the inside of the restaurant isn’t used for seating, perhaps 10% of its normal capacity. I may be missing something but this doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. 
There's really nothing more than this:

He failed on that front and just created a "whatabout" opportunity for others.
and in this day and age, we need much fewer of these opportunities if we want to make progress.  Some will do anything to focus on symptoms rather than problems.

timschochet said:
You don't see the big deal of a public official telling people to skip Thanksgiving, skip weddings, etc. hosting a mask-less indoor dinner with a bunch of his cronies?  

Leadership requires a certain level of credibility with the people you're trying to lead.  

Yesterday we went past 250,000 Covid19 deaths in the U.S. A quarter of a million people. Our current Federal government continues to do less than nothing.

Yesterday we went past 250,000 Covid19 deaths in the U.S. A quarter of a million people. Our current Federal government continues to do less than nothing.
It really is stunning. I get that the libertarians think that this is playing out nearly exactly as it should.  That's not a criticism, I think they are being internally consistent.  Indeed, I wonder what some of these GOP governors in the midwest would be doing if this pandemic wasn't negatively impacting hospital staff and hospital capacity to treat other needs.  I mean, if death were instantaneous* I kinda suspect they'd be completely anti-mask mandate and that they are ONLY putting into place light regulations due to hospital impact and hospital administration pushback.  

Anyway, just a thought experiment I have been mulling.

*Obviously if death was instantaneous it wouldn't be a highly contagious pandemic.  What I mean is that if people died before getting to the hospital

Trump's vaccine team will not brief Biden administration: U.S. senators.

...Biden said on Wednesday that a range of information had not been made available to his campaign, including the distribution plan for COVID-19 vaccines...

Failure to promptly share critical COVID-19 data with Biden’s team will cause needless, deadly delays in tackling the pandemic, leaders of the U.S. medical establishment said in a letter to Trump on Tuesday...

Cool.

Pence just on TV saying they don't recommend closing schools. So how should my district have handled it? There are so many teachers out with Covid there's not enough teachers. Pus the children were getting it too.  Hundreds of faculty and children with Covid and the numbers were increasing exponentially. The numbers of those infected and people in contact with those individuals was probably close to 100%.  

Literally willing to sacrifice the health of our children to save face. Forget peace and love. I hate these people. 

Pence just on TV saying they don't recommend closing schools. So how should my district have handled it? There are so many teachers out with Covid there's not enough teachers. Pus the children were getting it too.  Hundreds of faculty and children with Covid and the numbers were increasing exponentially. The numbers of those infected and people in contact with those individuals was probably close to 100%.  

Literally willing to sacrifice the health of our children to save face. Forget peace and love. I hate these people. 
I dont believe you. 

I live in CA and realize the impropriety of what Newsom did; however, he's been utterly great throughout this whole thing. His daily-to-weekly appearances on the local networks is actually reassuring and does a lot to help temper the mental effects of the pandemic. Transparency and competence from government officials regarding the virus is something to behold given our President and other governors. I'll take a little side dish of hypocrisy and politically-motivated funding chicanery with it. I'm okay with that. I darn nigh expect it, and it could be worse.

2Squirrels1Nut said:

Your experience is way different than ours.  There are some cases and some quarantines but it appears in most situations these cases are coming from contacts outside the school and I think in my wife's entire district, one of the largest in our state, they've had three cases come out of these quarantines from contact tracing.  While those three are unfortunate, it's hardly a wildfire situation of Covid in our schools.  I don't think my daughters' school has had a case as of this time.  The elementary schools do seem to be faring better than the high schools.

Your experience is way different than ours.  There are some cases and some quarantines but it appears in most situations these cases are coming from contacts outside the school and I think in my wife's entire district, one of the largest in our state, they've had three cases come out of these quarantines from contact tracing.  While those three are unfortunate, it's hardly a wildfire situation of Covid in our schools.  I don't think my daughters' school has had a case as of this time.  The elementary schools do seem to be faring better than the high schools.
I'm happy to hear that.  I agree on the elementary schools.  Ours is still open and they aren't experiencing the same problems. 

I'm also not advocating for shutting down schools in advance although I would understand why.  Our district had strict rules in place. Mandatory masks, classes were spread out so kids were 6' apart. Classes let out at different times so there weren't a bunch of kids in the hall together. Contact tracing. Everything was fine for 6-weeks but after somebody contracted, it spread like wildfire.

I've freaking had enough of my kids. Trying to keep 2 teenagers on track at school while working a full time job sucks.  On the other hand, I don't want any of the people at school sick.  They're all great people. I don't have an answer other than keep trying to move forward until the vaccine can be distributed.  There's nothing more important to me than education and the people that do their best to teach our children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread