What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic VP candidates - Kamala Harris Is The Choice (2 Viewers)

I disagree.  It's Biden's job to deliver on moderates in swing states.  His VP should be a person who drives the Democratic base to the polls in droves come November; and by Democratic base, I specifically mean women and African Americans.  Have to put muscle into both sides of the barbell.  I'll say it again, I think Kamala Harris is the obvious pick for VP.
Biden does not have a problem with getting African American voters. 

Sanders.

It'd be great - the Statler and Waldorf ticket.
haha.  how sad would it be if we swore in a 78 year-old president and a 79 year-old vice president in January?

ETA: And imagine the reelection campaign trail imagery in 2023.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple names I'm intrigued by based on their resumes (not knowing a ton about them): Sens. Catherine Cortez-Masto (NV) and Tammy Duckworth (IL). Duckworth in particular is a great story -- Asian-American war-hero amputee who would perfectly underscore Biden's message about "restoring the soul of America". But again, that's all based on superficial qualities. I have no idea about her political skills, managerial abilities, etc.
I shared some earlier info/thoughts, and Duckworth had crossed my mind.  I would say she has always been well-received here in Chicago/Illinois ...I can't recall any negative press.  I consider her to be very sincere and committed to her role.  

Since the VP has a VERY good chance of becoming President, it should be one of the women who actually ran for the job. Ideally Tulsi.

ETA: If Tulsi gets the nomination then the VP spot should go to Mayor Pete.

I shared some earlier info/thoughts, and Duckworth had crossed my mind.  I would say she has always been well-received here in Chicago/Illinois ...I can't recall any negative press.  I consider her to be very sincere and committed to her role.  
Duckworth would probably be a great pick.

Since the VP has a VERY good chance of becoming President, it should be one of the women who actually ran for the job. Ideally Tulsi.

Notebook updated:  You want Hillary on the ticket.

And then the CIA takes out Tulsi?

Seem the GOP VP is pretty easy - Nikki Haley 

But the Dem VP has a number of interesting choices - and it looks like Biden (or Sanders) will have plenty of time to find the right fit for their campaign.

I would assume the choice will likely be female.
I think you really need to break this down to areas of weakness that a Veep pick could shore up. Biden does well with black voters, older voters, moderates, and non-college educated whites. However he has not done well with hispanic voters, young voters, progressives, and college educated whites. He also needs a fundraising machine. 

It's unlikely that he'll nail the all categories (especially if + woman). So you have to ask which of these groups are most likely to cross-over and vote Trump and who might not vote at all -- ie, who might he lose.

I think you really need to break this down to areas of weakness that a Veep pick could shore up.
The problem with using a VP pick to shore up weaknesses is that it can serve to highlight those weaknesses. Kerry picked Edwards because he was considered more dynamic, which reminded people of how undynamic Kerry was (didn't help that Edwards underwhelmed).

Which isn't to say that you should never do it. Just that you need to be careful. There tends to be this assumption that a VP can plug holes, which just goes back to Rule #1: VP picks don't actually matter that much. If your presidential nominee has big holes to fill, he may be in a trouble no VP is going to fix.

No. He likes Biden. 
Point is, either Biden is going to get African Americans to turn out for him in November or he won't, but it won't be because they supported him in the primary, and it won't be because Obama tells them to. An Afircan American VP might help at the margins, but ultimately it will be a function of the candidate himself.

Duckworth was born in Thailand. Oh well...

ETA: actually I’m not sure if she’s eligible

Duckworth was born in Thailand. Oh well...

ETA: actually I’m not sure if she’s eligible
Her dad was a US serviceman and her mom was Thai. It's a similar situation to Ted Cruz, who was born in Canada to an American mother and a father who was originally from Cuba but had Canadian citizenship at the time. Legally, I don't think there's much dispute that such people count as "natural-born citizens". Politically is another matter. I'm sure we would see lots of neo-Birtherism from a fully Trumpified GOP. But I don't think that's a reason not to pick her.

Your VP choice should just cement and bring in additional voters that may be wavering or sitting out.  The obvious answer to me is Abrams.  Female, African American, seems to be moderate and has the right temperament.  She's smart as hell and very inspirational speaker.  I'd absolutely love to see her as the VP and then have them groom her to run in 2024.
Do you think she could swing Georgia Blue? Trump defeated Hillary 50.4% to 45.3%. Georgia has 16 Electoral votes. That could be huge

Sorry, but I don't get the logic that running an (unsuccessful) presidential campaign gives you any special abilities to be president. If I told you Biden was definitely going to die during his first term and you had to choose between, say, Andrew Yang or Sherrod Brown as the VP who would ascend to the top job, would you really say that Yang was more qualified because he had run for president, whereas all Brown had done was spend the past 45 years actually serving in public office?

zftcg said:
Sorry, but I don't get the logic that running an (unsuccessful) presidential campaign gives you any special abilities to be president. 
My Tulsi love is (mostly) shtick but you are aware that both Biden and Bernie have run unsuccessful campaigns for President right?

I think we're in agreement that running doesn't automatically qualify or disqualify you.

I agree with your specific point on Yang (literally my least favorite candidate in the field) but if the discussion were something like "Well it's now down to two white female candidates left so the VP should be a male minority." Then Yang is probably going to be mentioned simply because he ran and meets the discussion criteria.

Sounds like its Amy. 
Amy Klobuchar sparks Biden vice president rumours after slip of the tongue at rally

Amy Klobuchar had a slip of tongue when speaking to a crowd of supporters, suggesting she might be Joe Biden's pick for vice president.

The Minnesota senator was speaking at a campaign rally for Mr Biden on Saturday in Michigan when she sparked the rumours.

"I could not think of a better way to end my candidacy, as hard as it was to do with our beloved staff and everyone else, than to join the tick–" she's heard saying to the crowd.

It sounded like Ms Klobuchar wanted to say the word "ticket", hinting she could join Mr Biden as his vice president pick.

People in the Grand Rapids crowd thought the same thing, and they started cheering and chanting the senator's name.

Ms Klobuchar then corrected herself by saying she was going to say "terrific" not "ticket".

"Guys, I was going to say ... ," she said over chants of her name, "than to join the terrific, the terrific, terrific campaign of Joe Biden."

Ahead of Super Tuesday, the senator dropped out of the race to earn the Democratic nomination and endorsed the vice president shortly after. Her endorsement helped boost him in the polls and come away as the frontrunner ahead of Bernie Sanders.

Do you think she could swing Georgia Blue? Trump defeated Hillary 50.4% to 45.3%. Georgia has 16 Electoral votes. That could be huge
I think it’s possible but still unlikely.  If it were 2028 I’d say yes.  Georgia will almost certainly turn blue at some point - fairly large African American population, movie/film industry has transplanted a lot of folks, lots of large corporations who are continuing to embrace inclusion as it pertains to gender, sexual orientation, etc. Aging and declining white population.  Biden stands a much better chance than Bernie and Abrams would be the ideal candidate to try and steal the state.

She lost the gubernatorial election by just over a point IIRC. That's a remarkable performance in what has been a red state for many years.
And my recollection was that Kemp was not a bad candidate - had all the credentials, was popular with GOP voters and pretty much scandal free.  A lot of folks I talked to were surprised with how close it was.

And my recollection was that Kemp was not a bad candidate - had all the credentials, was popular with GOP voters and pretty much scandal free.  A lot of folks I talked to were surprised with how close it was.
Well, except for that whole "Secretary of State overseeing the election and disqualifying a bunch of absentee votes" thingy.

Was talking about this with a friend over the weekend, and one thing we were saying was that probably the most important factor -- which never gets discussed because no one from the outside has any insight on it -- is the personal chemistry between the nominee and his running mate. I would much rather a nominee pick someone he works well together with than another person who checks a few more boxes. Best example I can think of is Kerry picking Edwards even though he clearly wanted Gephardt. He knew Edwards was a phony but felt compelled to pick him anyway. It's unlikely that his lack of chemistry with Edwards was the reason he lost, but in a close election, it didn't help.

Of course, the counterexample is Trump's shotgun marriage with Pence, but I think we've established that Trump is sui generis and should not serve as a template for anyone ever. Also, whatever the original reason for their pairing, Pence has subsequently justified the pick by displaying the most important quality in any Trump appointee: obsequiousness.

Seems everyone is convinced it will be a woman instead, but I’d like to see Julian Castro considered.  Presumably would help Biden with his Latin problem if he’s the nominee, too.

I really doubt he picks someone that young looking
FTFY.

Seriously, though, Castro is in his mid-40s, so he's plenty old enough. But as I mentioned in an earlier post, his height and baby face make him look like he's 12. Especially with the pandemic, I think one of the most important criteria for Biden will be whether the person comes across as a plausible president. Experience and age wise, I think Castro does. Appearance wise, not so much. (It also doesn't help that he's never been elected to anything other than mayor of a heavily Democratic city.)

Abrams is miles ahead of Mike Pence, too. That doesn't mean that voters would see her as a better VP candidate.

The thing about Palin is that her credentials were exactly what you look for in a VP candidate. If she would have just kept her mouth shut and acted more like Mike Pence, John McCain might have won in 2008. But Palin decided to go rogue, at which point no amount of Statorama cheerleading could have saved him.
Yep. When Palin was nominated, I genuinely thought it was a brilliant choice by McCain. 

But then Palin starting talking at press conferences...

This Axios article speculating on Biden's VP and other appointments is worth exactly what you paid to read it, so I'm not going to waste any time speculating about what it all means (as many supporters of a certain Democratic candidate are currently doing). Just posting it to say I was glad to see the Duckworth-for-VP speculation is not all in my own head.

Klobuchar will command the same type of voter that Biden already gets.  If Biden is going to unite Dems, he needs someone more left of him.  
I think all indications are he wants to appeal to a broader audience in the general election. I can't imagine he doesn't pick a moderate Democrat 

Leroy Hoard said:
That article is like a test case in hackneyed, inaccurate thinking about VP selections. The author seems to be operating under the assumption that the only criterion for a running mate is their short-term impact on the ticket, and he has completely blinkered views of what that impact will be. Sally Yates, who has never run for any public office in Georgia or anywhere else, would give Dems an advantage in that state? Stacey Abrams would "put Biden very much in play" in Wisconsin because she was born there? I'm pretty sure Wisconsin is going to be in play regardless, and the fact that Abrams was born in a Madison hospital is not going to be the reason why. (For the record, she left Madison as a child and mostly grew up in Mississippi, moving to Atlanta for high school.)

Just dumb thinking all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread