What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Be Extra Cool (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Hey Guys,

I'm not sure how to say this without sounding heavy handed. Because I suppose the truth is it IS heavy handed. But it's where we are.

And I'd rather be honest and upfront so nobody is surprised.

I told the Moderators this morning: "I'm way out of patience with the guys who refuse to stop trolling. I've got zero problem to start booting people for a month or multiple months that just seem intent on seeing how much they can push."

I know we are criticized, probably not unfairly, for inconsistent moderating. And I'm letting you know up front that's changing too. I've told the moderators we want to be less tolerant of trolling and for what it takes to remove someone from the forum. We're simply running low on patience. 

So if you're suspended, please don't say, "I've seen way worse in the past". Because I'm letting you know right now, that'll likely be true. What would have been just annoying six months ago will likely mean removal now. I'm sorry it's come to that but it's just reality. 

And to be clear:

Most everyone here that's ever been suspended for trolling does the :shrug:  and says "That wasn't trolling. THE OTHER guy did something way worse". 

The reality is most everyone here that's been suspended knew exactly what they were doing in trying to get a shot in at the other side. 

Please help us. 

I'm on board. The more I've thought about how you guys could improve with your moderating, it is indeed a tough thing. You'll never please everybody.

Trolling is a tough thing to define (though MT created a fairly good start in his thread), but it's one of those things that you kind of just know it when you see it. And you quickly catch on to names of the people who do it the most.

Trolling is a tough thing to define (though MT created a fairly good start in his thread), but it's one of those things that you kind of just know it when you see it. And you quickly catch on to names of the people who do it the most.
For sure, I agree. Everyone has a different opinion of what it is, especially on opposing sides of a position.  That adds all kinds of layers complexity for the mods. 

Mod'ing is a tough job that I do not envy one bit.

Sneegor said:
extra cool?  Haven't been around here lately but has it gotten worse recently?
seems to subside for a day or so & then quickly escalates.  Used to be a bar in Cut Bank, MT( I lived & worked in Cut Bank for a year)  Bar had a board up with names of those forever barred from the premises. About 20 people(1/3rd were women).   Was kind of cool, but at the same time you respected the place.

My advice, which is worth exactly what you’re paying me for it, is to focus less on banning and more on policing tone. Much as the danger from concussions may be due to numerous subconcussive hits, the stuff that really drags things down here may not be the wildly offensive posts but the ones that, in isolation, don’t violate any rules, but ratchet up the anger and incrementally move us away from constructive dialogue.

When a topic starts going off the rails, nudge it back on track or close it to further replies. That will get a lot more attention than a banning which most of us will never even notice. 

My advice, which is worth exactly what you’re paying me for it, is to focus less on banning and more on policing tone. Much as the danger from concussions may be due to numerous subconcussive hits, the stuff that really drags things down here may not be the wildly offensive posts but the ones that, in isolation, don’t violate any rules, but ratchet up the anger and incrementally move us away from constructive dialogue.

When a topic starts going off the rails, nudge it back on track or close it to further replies. That will get a lot more attention than a banning which most of us will never even notice. 
The board owners here do feel that a heavy hand coupled with the members reporting on each other is the right direction for this place.  Like it or not, it is their choice.  Trying to change it would be futile.

The board owners here do feel that a heavy hand coupled with the members reporting on each other is the right direction for this place.  Like it or not, it is their choice.  Trying to change it would be futile.
This is undoubtedly true. Then again, we all spend hours here trying to get our ideological opponents to admit they are wrong and completely reverse their positions, so I would contend that my post was still a few rungs below that on the Futility Index  :shrug:

Problem with that is it would be a lot more time intensive for the staff.  Just to respond to the wildly offensive ones that are reported takes enough time already according to the mods, I couldn't imagine the amount of time to actively police every thread.

It all comes down to some people taking joy out of "triggering" the other side and wanting to play gotcha.  I am a long time lurker and don't contribute near as much as I would like because of all the gotcha games played on both sides.  Take 1 word or phrase out of a paragraph answer that isn't even central to the response and use that to beat people over the head.

Joe, I'm grateful if you'll do whatever you have to do, to keep this board open.  I've been lurking almost daily since ol' yeller.  This is where I sometimes/often get my news. It's almost always entertaining. Thanks for what you and the mods do to foster a community. 

Joe, I'm grateful if you'll do whatever you have to do, to keep this board open.  I've been lurking almost daily since ol' yeller.  This is where I sometimes/often get my news. It's almost always entertaining. Thanks for what you and the mods do to foster a community. 
Same 

Thanks. It's discouraging dealing with some of the other stuff with some people telling us the moderators don't care or I'm not sorry if we don't fit anymore for a long time poster. I do think a good number of people feel like you though. Thanks. 

Thanks. It's discouraging dealing with some of the other stuff with some people telling us the moderators don't care or I'm not sorry if we don't fit anymore for a long time poster. I do think a good number of people feel like you though. Thanks. 
100% there are Joe.  No doubt about it. 

Users who are viewing this thread