What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you have 5% stake in a company... (1 Viewer)

Are you called a partner?

If you own 49% are you still a partner and/or a business owner?
It completely depends on whether you're active or passive.  And even then, who says partners are active or passive? When I started at Goldman in 1993, active managers were called Partners and retired managers were called Limited Partners.  You need to be more specific with your question.

You're definitely a business owner. 

Technically if you own any shares you're an owner.

You're probably called a partner, but there's a pretty big difference if you own 5% and the other person owns 95%, or if twenty people all own 5%. 

Same with 49%. If the other person owns 51% or if multiple people own the remainder. You could have the largest amount. 

If you work at a bank once you get promoted to a certain pay scale you are a vice president....

My sisters group has like 15 vice presidenta....of what no one really knows.   

So basically say whatever you want

They could call you a partner if they want. As @bigbottom noted, the first question is whether the  business is a partnership, inc., LLC or some other form of business entity.  

If you work at a bank once you get promoted to a certain pay scale you are a vice president....

My sisters group has like 15 vice presidenta....of what no one really knows.   

So basically say whatever you want
Yup, VP is meaningless any more.

I don't know, I have worked in many venture capital funded startups, and 5% seems very high unless you are a founding member. I would guess most non-executives have something closer to 0.04% to 0.2% depending on title and duration with the company. The vast majority of shares are held by founders and financiers. Also, make sure you have in writing some way to get back shares from founders and early contributors. Some founding collaborator (who is not a member of the company, and was mainly licensing his IP) was fired in the middle of a board meeting for generally not contributing anything and wasting a ton of the companies money with random guesses, but there was no way to get back his founders shares so he still has something like 5-10% of the company.

Users who are viewing this thread