What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Boots - a thread about them (1 Viewer)

grateful zed

Footballguy
i bought a pair of these Merrell hiking/work boots recently.

The support is great, they are waterproof, ok looking, but my feet sweat profusely in them.  I have reached a point where im avoiding doing lengthy excursions in them because it becomes uncomfortable.  I have decided i prefer a more light weight, breathable pair. 

does anyone have any recommendations? 

:popcorn:

I'm not exactly a hiking aficionado, but I have owned several pair of Danner boots/shoes and they've never let me down.

They're handcrafted in the USA, too.

The support is great, they are waterproof, ok looking, but my feet sweat profusely in them.  I have reached a point where im avoiding doing lengthy excursions in them because it becomes uncomfortable.  I have decided i prefer a more light weight, breathable pair. 

this is the problem.  Any footwear that is waterproof does not let moisture in.....but in return it won't let moisture out.  

Just bought some ASOLOs and could not be happier with them.
I loved mine too, but all the rubber parts dry rotted.  Lightly used (infrequent snow, a few big camping trips and vacations with scattered hiking in-between) and I figured I'd own them for decades, but the rubber crumbled in 6-8 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boot Sole Separation (Hydrolysis)

Hydrolysis is the chemical breakdown of a compound due to the reaction with water. In our case, we are talking about polyurethane (PU) which is used to make midsoles (the component in the middle of a boot between the outsole and the upper/insole). It can gradually absorbs moisture over time and deteriorate. The polyurethane gets harder, more porous and, at some point, starts to crumble. In extreme cases, it can disintegrate completely and the sole might fall off your boots.

Most high-quality mountain and trekking footwear manufactures use ester-based PU since it is the most suitable material – despite hydrolysis. For this all footwear manufactures have to deal with the problem of ageing polyurethane. Please note that hydrolysis isn’t visible from the outside because the deterioration takes place from within and even new looking boots may have a crumbling construction, so we strongly recommend to take your old boots on a test run before you wear them on a long trip, especially if they have been sitting around in the loft or a cellar.

Proper storage can help to prevent hydrolysis: boots are best kept in dry, well-ventilated conditions and they should never be exposed to high temperature. These factors scientifically speed up the process of hydrolysis. There are significant differences in when hydrolysis sets; at the moment, we estimate that it starts around six to seven years after a midsole is manufactured. It’s worth considering that the manufacturing date of your sole might well be some time before the purchase date when you bought your boots. In addition, supply time for the sole, storage of the sole and manufacturing at Asolo plus delivery to retailers and further storage can all add up. When you buy a pair of Asolo boots in a shop, they could have been on the shelf for a few months. If you snap up a pair of last year’s model during sales, then the boots might even have been standing in the store for couple of years. Keep this is mind when you try to work out how old your boots are.

How to protect your boots from hydrolysis:

> Store your boots in a dark, dry and well-ventilated area
> Keep your boots away from surfaces of heat
> Clean your boots regularly
> Wash off muck and manure with water at the end of the trip

In case you find that your boots are affected by hydrolysis, all is not lost. Asolo footwears are made with cemented construction and can easily be resoled with a brand new midsole and outsole.

Don't get waterproof unless you absolutely need them.  I have a pair of waterproof shoes that I wear in the winter because of slush, snow, etc.  I can't wear them in the summer because my feet sweat profusely in them so I have another pair that I wear for work in the summer that aren't water proof so my feet can breathe.

Irish Setter

I have a pair of 1000 gram camo that I only wear hunting and ice fishing that I’ve had for at least 15 yrs

Us Texans have an entirely different picture of what "boots" are.
Grateful zed is from a hick town in Montana. It is not like he is a city slicker.

As far as hiking boots, no recommendations other than I personally prefer hiking shoes unless you are walking through snake habitat. Then 12" boots are worn.

I have a pair of Merrell Chameleon 4 Ventilation hiking boots with Gore-Tex lining. They keep my feet dry from outside moisture but are breathable enough that my feet don't sweat.

Boots - and here I was hoping that this was a thread about boots.. like the kind Strippers wear, or even hot ladies in the fall, with jeans... :kicksrock:

My feet (well my entire body also) sweat profusely. I tried this a few months ago. It WORKS. A bit pricy, but it definitely works. I quit using it bc the lockdown set in and I mostly wear flipflops now other than running/walking workouts, but I'll get more of it when things get back to somewhat normal. 

Users who are viewing this thread