What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (4 Viewers)

One of the things I like about Edwards was that his 'style' seemed more accessible than artsy, if that makes sense, like he was winking at you just before a gag.  Take the one I mentioned before, when Clouseau was on the parallel bars: his back is to the camera so have to imagine the look on his face as he goes from the bars to down the staircase, and from what we know about Clouseau, we infer that he is completely serious and completely oblivious to the impending disaster. To me, that makes it even funnier. In A Shot in the Dark, the car chase builds to a ridiculous crescendo, and the crazy part is that we have seen it coming all along.
Agreed - The opening of A Shot in the Dark stands out to me.  I think I mentioned tracking shots with various films/directors.  The tracking shot that opens A Shot in the Dark is just as great cinematically as any of them — just a comical take as makes you eyewitnesses while going room-to-room to people tiptoeing and sneaking around for liaisons during the night.  

Agreed - The opening of A Shot in the Dark stands out to me.  I think I mentioned tracking shots with various films/directors.  The tracking shot that opens A Shot in the Dark is just as great cinematically as any of them — just a comical take as makes you eyewitnesses while going room-to-room to people tiptoeing and sneaking around for liaisons during the night.  
You ever see his later film Blind Date?  There was a similar scene in that, with little intricacies that either paid off later or were payoffs of earlier scenes in several quick cut shots.

I’m not sure the end result was a comedy though. Dr Strangelove was conceived as a stone cold serious look at the threat of nuclear war but it didn’t end up that way. 
that's why whether something is a comedy is all in the conception. i don't know how he came to be attached to Strangelove, but nothing isn't funny to Terry Southern, except maybe the DTs. life is hilarious, comedy is the abstraction of that - whether a vaudeville crossover or a how-to manual for the end of the world.

I have not seen that one.  Will check it out.
Bruce Willis and Kim Basinger are set up on a blind date.  Hilarity ensues thanks to intentional misdirection from Phil Hartman. The plot also thickens with some help from jealous ex-boyfriend John Larroquette, and the inimitable William Daniels gets to stretch his comedy legs as well. Fun for everyone except Lakers fans.

that's why whether something is a comedy is all in the conception. i don't know how he came to be attached to Strangelove, but nothing isn't funny to Terry Southern, except maybe the DTs. life is hilarious, comedy is the abstraction of that - whether a vaudeville crossover or a how-to manual for the end of the world.
He bought the book rights with the idea of making a straight thriller but when writing it he found that he kept having to remove so many things because the idea of MAD was so insane and paradoxical that it made his script funny when it was supposed to be serious. That’s how he stumbled into the idea of a comedy and called in Terry Southern. I’m not sure where conception starts exactly though. 

He bought the book rights with the idea of making a straight thriller but when writing it he found that he kept having to remove so many things because the idea of MAD was so insane and paradoxical that it made his script funny when it was supposed to be serious. That’s how he stumbled into the idea of a comedy and called in Terry Southern. I’m not sure where conception starts exactly though. 
i'm comfortable thinking there's a big "if you don't laugh, you'll never stop crying" to Kubrick's themes. his lack of a real sense of humor actually magnified the work of those who found the funny in his stories (Southern, Sellers, Malcolm McDowell, Jaaaack, Lee Ermey & Vincent D'Onofrio) and make it no coincidence that those convergences resulted in his best work

Last edited by a moderator:
I think comedy is pretty subjective, in general. Tough one to rank and I’m sure everyone’s lists would be different.

Some Like It Hot would have been my #1 with a bullet of the films here.
Some Like It Hot is the best comedy of all time.  

Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe used to 'go out' before either were famous.  I guess it ended poorly so Marilyn wanted to get Tony back when shooting the 'love scene' on the yacht.  She really 'went for it' with the intent of making Tony... er 'excited' during the shoot.  ...  She was successful and Tony was humiliated so when asked he 'reportedly said'

Kissing Marilyn Monroe was like kissing Hitler.  

You'll have to watch 'that scene' knowing the back story and the, um 'effect' it was having on Curtis in order to 'appreciate' the scene more.

@Kumerica, I'm wondering how Raising Arizona, Best In Show, and/or Waiting for Guffman might have rated?  

ETA:  Great job as always.  I'm curious about these since they're my favorites (along with various Steve Martin movies)
Bowfinger is one of my all-time favorite comedies.

Gally said:
I wonder how any of the Pink Panther movies would have ranked.  Team GallStein didn't really consider them but they are favorites of mine.

ETA:  Happy with where our selection of Trading Places landed.  I might have had it up a couple places but maybe not.  I would have it about the same place.
Re: Pink Panther, I'm not really sure--I haven't seen any of them since I was a kid, maybe high school at the latest. They were always favorites of, say, my older cousins. Might need to throw those in this fall and watch with fresh eyes. 
Best comedic 👉 Bank Robbery    👈 scene of all-time.

Ilov80s said:
It certainly is an all time great comedy but taste is subjective so you never know. 

Chris B. said:
It's this type of high praise that baits me into watching a movie... then I get let down...
Indeed, it's 100% subjective, that's what this draft has shown us.

For me it's Marilyn's greatest movie, arguably Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon's greatest movie although the Apartment might edge it out for Jack, and another great one from Billy Wilder.

For me it all comes together, for a younger set viewpoint I had watched this with my teen daughters last year and it got top marks, so for some it transcends the black and white barrier.

But to each his own, just bummed to see it not at least in the top 3, but middle of the pack seems a bit rough, but luck of the draw for whoever is judging that slate... as we have said movies (and music) are totally subjective.  It will be interesting to see if  a TV draft happens, I have a feeling there might have a lot more common ground.

Bracie Smathers said:
Some Like It Hot is the best comedy of all time.  

Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe used to 'go out' before either were famous.  I guess it ended poorly so Marilyn wanted to get Tony back when shooting the 'love scene' on the yacht.  She really 'went for it' with the intent of making Tony... er 'excited' during the shoot.  ...  She was successful and Tony was humiliated so when asked he 'reportedly said'

Kissing Marilyn Monroe was like kissing Hitler.  

You'll have to watch 'that scene' knowing the back story and the, um 'effect' it was having on Curtis in order to 'appreciate' the scene more.
great stuff!

So I've been selling off some of my BluRay collection and have received good return on a couple titles.

Someone paid me $130 for my 4 disc Arrow box set of Donnie Darko.

Another paid $80 for a "collector's" set of Once Upon A Time In America.

People are crazy. 

Updated standings after Comedy?
6 Categories to go - I think Nick will be back later this week and should have his two.  There's a good battle shaping up for Bronze.

1. ilov80s--439
  2. tuffnutt--411
  3. triplemania--398
  4. Dr. Octopus--393
  5. joffer--393
  6. higgins--389
  7. Doug B--379
  8. Andy Dufresne--376
  9. jwb--371
  10. Karma Police--363
  11. EYLive--363
  12. mphtrilogy--349
  13. Gally Steiner--348
  14. TheWinz--340
  15. timschochet--333
  16. Mrs. Rannous--318

AAABatteries said:
I understand net value - I'm saying I don't know how Hags and I are sitting at net value of 0 but still in 3rd place.  I just find it unusual (if it keeps up).
Yeah that’s weird. Like a .500 team with the 3rd best record in the American League. 

Yeah that’s weird. Like a .500 team with the 3rd best record in the American League. 
I think it isn't totally unusual because it means you aren't having big swings of value.  It might be a little high but I wouldn't be totally surprised.  This is such a random placement in categories of picks that the value is wildly inconsistent.  I would guess that the picks aren't far off across the board rather than having a few +10's and then some -10's.   I also am guessing there are quite a few people with very high negative values (we are one at -18 and have been in the 20's most of the draft). 

I'll post Sci Fi on Earth Tonight--about 1/3 through my write-ups before work and outside interference took me away.
I saw Kumerica posted and got a little excited for the next reveal.....although he is in the bottom of judges for Team GallStein.  Maybe he can shoot for an improvement...hahhaha

Sorry for the delay. Eddie Van Halen died and I was inconsolable, listening to VH music, trying to remember how to play riffs, etc. When I looked up, it was later than I wanted to post.

Science Fiction On Earth

The (Un)Scientific Scoring Methodology:

1.      As with every other category, while I was busy watching or rewatching some of the films, I enlisted some trusted and reliable movie-loving friends to assist. I asked them each to force rank everything in the category--without consulting the internet or other sources—according to their preferences. Sure enough, the results often differed substantially.

2.      I took the average of their rankings to help create an initial tier.

3.      Since they weren’t very helpful previously, I did NOT consult lists from a wide swath of publications this time around.

4.      I went ahead and created my own ranking based on the following, in no particular order:

-        My personal enjoyment watching and/or rewatching the movie, as well as my history with it.

-        Does it belong in this category? 

-        Weight (i.e. Legacy, influence, timelessness, awards (rarely), average rankings of my friends, etc.)

In the end, there is such a thing as “best” vs. “favorite,” and as far as these rankings are concerned, in case it was close, my favorites tended to edge out what might be technically/ commercially/critically considered a better film within the genre.

The movies listed here are all great films in their own rights. But, before you get upset at the point assignments, please remember, whatever you think . . .

​

I make this look good.

16. Independence Day (1 pt.)

I remember seeing this for the first time in the theater. As the credits began to roll, my friend turned to me and said, “It was bad, but I liked it.” And that kind of sums it up for me. It was a 90s popcorn-and-Cherry Coke summer blockbuster. Poop, yes, but fun poop.

15. The Fly (2 pts)

Do You Have Room?

14. Men In Black (3 pts)

I feel kinda bad for ranking this film so low, I remember enjoying it a lot and it was tremendous fun. But when I rewatch it now, I just don’t enjoy it as much. It could be that it feels too much like a cartoon, or a a kids’ movie . . . I don’t know. More likely is that I’ve simply become jaded by the Will Smith swagger, particularly from this era, apparently.

13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (4 pts)

Cold War paranoia at its finest, this movie was a template for many a SciFi horror trope, but not necessarily for the positive. It’s a classic, to be sure, but a classic B-movie that my rewatch only hindered and did not help. Sorry, drafter.

13. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (4 pts)

Cold War paranoia at its finest, this movie was a template for many a SciFi horror trope, but not necessarily for the positive. It’s a classic, to be sure, but a classic B-movie that my rewatch only hindered and did not help. Sorry, drafter.
Which version was this. I watched the one from the 70's not long ago and man, does that thing stumble to the (awesome) finish. 

Sorry for the delay. Eddie Van Halen died and I was inconsolable, listening to VH music, trying to remember how to play riffs, etc. When I looked up, it was later than I wanted to post.

Science Fiction On Earth

15. The Fly (2 pts)

Do You Have Room?
Ugh,  I guess Judge Kumerica has it in for Team GallStein as he is dropping is ppc rating quite a bit here.  It is down to 4.25 ppc after four categories.  It didn't even help our negative value score as we drafted it in the 16th spot for the category. 

Ugh,  I guess Judge Kumerica has it in for Team GallStein as he is dropping is ppc rating quite a bit here.  It is down to 4.25 ppc after four categories.  It didn't even help our negative value score as we drafted it in the 16th spot for the category. 
Have you watched it recently? I loved it as a kid. It did not hold up well.

Nobody can say of him again that he never hurt a fly.

Jeff Goldblum has though.

No I have not.  I have no doubt about that.  We picked it as the last choice in the category so I wasn't expecting a whole lot but I still think it is a better sci-fi movie than where it placed.  Also, my comments were full tongue in cheek as well.  I have realized the movie draft is crazily all over the place and impossible to judge.  I am just happy judges went away from critics scores and actually started rating them based on their personal connections...….I think @Kumerica's approach is awesome.  Unfortunately team GallStein and Kumerica don't mesh on the connections of movies...hahahaha

No I have not.  I have no doubt about that.  We picked it as the last choice in the category so I wasn't expecting a whole lot but I still think it is a better sci-fi movie than where it placed.  Also, my comments were full tongue in cheek as well.  I have realized the movie draft is crazily all over the place and impossible to judge.  I am just happy judges went away from critics scores and actually started rating them based on their personal connections...….I think @Kumerica's approach is awesome.  Unfortunately team GallStein and Kumerica don't mesh on the connections of movies...hahahaha
Don't get me wrong, I loved this movie and practically wore out the VHS back in the day. but, after the rewatch, I couldn't quite rank it highly among these other 15 films. Still, it is great. I'm (sorta) sorry I didn't explain in my write-up, but I just felt like posting the vid, which some old friends made back in the 90s, for entertainment purposes.

Don't get me wrong, I loved this movie and practically wore out the VHS back in the day. but, after the rewatch, I couldn't quite rank it highly among these other 15 films. Still, it is great. I'm (sorta) sorry I didn't explain in my write-up, but I just felt like posting the vid, which some old friends made back in the 90s, for entertainment purposes.
Just for fun, I went back through the conversation that @Gally and I had about which movie to pick for this category, and we had kicked around several others.  I can't access the spreadsheet at work so I'm not sure off the top of my head if any of these were picked, but here are some of our other considerations.  Gotta think at least one of them could have scored more than two but I'll put it to the judge:

The Town

Total Recall

I, Robot

The Time Machine (1960 version)

Users who are viewing this thread