What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Postponed or cancelled games (1 Viewer)

Burgendy

Footballguy
Does anyone know what the NFL has decided should a game be unable to be played during the 2020 regular season?  Would they cancel it entirely and give the teams a tie?  Make the team unable to play forfeit?  Would they postpone it and play a week 18?  or 19?  Hard to see it played during the regular season unless somehow both teams had a bye the same week.  In a total points league with a playoff system and trying to decide how we would handle a postponed game or several.  Probably just going to cut it off at week 17 as it's gets really sticky trying to create rules for an extra week or 2. 

Does anyone know what the NFL has decided should a game be unable to be played during the 2020 regular season?  Would they cancel it entirely and give the teams a tie?  Make the team unable to play forfeit?  Would they postpone it and play a week 18?  or 19?  Hard to see it played during the regular season unless somehow both teams had a bye the same week.  In a total points league with a playoff system and trying to decide how we would handle a postponed game or several.  Probably just going to cut it off at week 17 as it's gets really sticky trying to create rules for an extra week or 2. 
There has been postponed games in the past for various reasons - usually weather related. I realize that this year creates greater potential for one but I’m guessing (with some hopeful thinking) that the games will go forward with only infected players being quarantined. 

I have a lot of contingency plans for the leagues I run but none for a postponed game. I just feel like that’s something I’ll deal with when the time comes because how the league will handle it will matter.

Is there anywhere in this forum or otherwise that has a good list of suggestions for commissioners on how to handle all the different contingencies that may come about this year?

There has been postponed games in the past for various reasons - usually weather related. I realize that this year creates greater potential for one but I’m guessing (with some hopeful thinking) that the games will go forward with only infected players being quarantined. 

I have a lot of contingency plans for the leagues I run but none for a postponed game. I just feel like that’s something I’ll deal with when the time comes because how the league will handle it will matter.
Nobody does. I feel like we should. Knowing what the NFL will do would be super helpful for sure.

My fear is one or two owners get their week ####ed up because teams A and B didn't play but C thru Z did. How is it equitable that they should just take a loss because of this nonsense? Rhetorical question my point is that as commish people are going to be ready to tear my head off if I don't have an answer for that. And god forbid my team is the one that wins that week.

Do we allow backup QBs (or K and TE) to be started retroactively? Require owners to weekly post a message stating a hierarchy of starting ranks from their roster in case of late scratches (or default to lowest scoring backup on bench)?

More work for commish and everyone but I see these things as major, major issues if we wait until they happen. Regardless of what the NFL does. Personally I think the obvious answer is convert to best ball but that has fallen on deaf ears.

What our league did was expand IR from 1 to 4 players.  Owners will need to monitor the injury list and be prepared to pick up players on FA list to start if needed and move players with Covid to IR. I don't see why owners should have empty roster spots in starting line up as we should know prior to start of games who is on Covid list.

Nobody does. I feel like we should. Knowing what the NFL will do would be super helpful for sure.

My fear is one or two owners get their week ####ed up because teams A and B didn't play but C thru Z did. How is it equitable that they should just take a loss because of this nonsense? Rhetorical question my point is that as commish people are going to be ready to tear my head off if I don't have an answer for that. And god forbid my team is the one that wins that week.

Do we allow backup QBs (or K and TE) to be started retroactively? Require owners to weekly post a message stating a hierarchy of starting ranks from their roster in case of late scratches (or default to lowest scoring backup on bench)?

More work for commish and everyone but I see these things as major, major issues if we wait until they happen. Regardless of what the NFL does. Personally I think the obvious answer is convert to best ball but that has fallen on deaf ears.
I think it's just like any other season where there is a late scratch or something similar.  It sucks but all of that is unforeseen.  I would allow a substitution if they had players that hadn't played yet just like and other out of the blue game day scratch.  Its part of the risk of playing and everyone has the same chance of this happening.  Nobody is at an inherent advantage going in. 

What our league did was expand IR from 1 to 4 players.  Owners will need to monitor the injury list and be prepared to pick up players on FA list to start if needed and move players with Covid to IR. I don't see why owners should have empty roster spots in starting line up as we should know prior to start of games who is on Covid list.
What if it happens on Monday?

I think it's just like any other season where there is a late scratch or something similar.  It sucks but all of that is unforeseen.  I would allow a substitution if they had players that hadn't played yet just like and other out of the blue game day scratch.  Its part of the risk of playing and everyone has the same chance of this happening.  Nobody is at an inherent advantage going in. 
Sure but I think what we're talking about is some level of excessive late scratches. Above the norm. What if a rash of MNF players test positive on Monday morning? 

That is an inherent disadvantage and above and  beyond the isolated "dude tweaked his groin in warmups" type of thing. 

I guess I'm just not convinced we're going to have the kind of heads up and flexibility we need to avoid taking zeros, with regards to late scratches. 

:goodposting:

Expand the IR, allow transactions until kickoff of each game, and stress to owners that if you've got guys going in late Sunday/Monday games then you reap what you sow should you go into that week with a max IR. 

Sure but I think what we're talking about is some level of excessive late scratches. Above the norm. What if a rash of MNF players test positive on Monday morning? 

That is an inherent disadvantage and above and  beyond the isolated "dude tweaked his groin in warmups" type of thing. 

I guess I'm just not convinced we're going to have the kind of heads up and flexibility we need to avoid taking zeros, with regards to late scratches. 
Everyone is in this same boat.  If you really are worried allow "backups" to be specified every week for the Monday games.  If there is a late Monday scratch due to Covid related issues then the back up plays in their place. 

This month of baseball has taught me to just embrace the chaos. Treat the season as you normally would and covid is a curveball you may/will need to navigate at unexpected times. If I have a core player on Sunday/Monday night then I'm gonna roll the dice. If I don't then I'll probably opt for someone with an earlier game - cause games are going to get ppd. Any policy you try to enact will come with unintended consequences. I encourage anyone to try and prove that wrong, but I'm not willing to put my time & energy into it. 

:goodposting:

Expand the IR, allow transactions until kickoff of each game, and stress to owners that if you've got guys going in late Sunday/Monday games then you reap what you sow should you go into that week with a max IR. 
In my cases this has already been done. But even if an owner has room on their IR for a late scratch or two, that doesn't mean they can sub someone meaningful if it is a later game. 

I absolutely think we will see owners favor starting guys in earlier games just to avoid possible zeroes. 

I'm not talking about enacting anything just thinking about what ifs. 

Everyone is in this same boat.  If you really are worried allow "backups" to be specified every week for the Monday games.  If there is a late Monday scratch due to Covid related issues then the back up plays in their place. 
But then that gives more weight to Monday games than the others and that isn't fair either. And not all backups are even going to be available. RB handcuffs will already be rostered. Most backup QBs and Kickers should be available. But at other positions I think you're taking a zero or starting a 2nd or 3rd stringer that is only going to get a few touches. 

This month of baseball has taught me to just embrace the chaos. Treat the season as you normally would and covid is a curveball you may/will need to navigate at unexpected times. If I have a core player on Sunday/Monday night then I'm gonna roll the dice. If I don't then I'll probably opt for someone with an earlier game - cause games are going to get ppd. Any policy you try to enact will come with unintended consequences. I encourage anyone to try and prove that wrong, but I'm not willing to put my time & energy into it. 
I'm way past embracing the chaos. I think it's good advice but I still think we're going to see zeroes in box scores if there are late scratches. I'm not seeing the mechanics (in my leagues) to avoid it. IR expansion isn't enough. 

I am probably about done trying though. Then when the zero comes I'll just tell them to sit and spin. They'll like that. 

I am toying with the notion of allowing people to post a message stating their order of preference should a starter take a late scratch. Provided it is posted prior to thursday kickoffs. 

In one redraft league we are going to revert to the lowest scoring backup on ones bench should a late scratch happen. I think that makes sense at QB and K but I'd rather have flexibility with RB and WR. 

Sigh.

In my cases this has already been done. But even if an owner has room on their IR for a late scratch or two, that doesn't mean they can sub someone meaningful if it is a later game. 

I absolutely think we will see owners favor starting guys in earlier games just to avoid possible zeroes. 

I'm not talking about enacting anything just thinking about what ifs. 

But then that gives more weight to Monday games than the others and that isn't fair either. And not all backups are even going to be available. RB handcuffs will already be rostered. Most backup QBs and Kickers should be available. But at other positions I think you're taking a zero or starting a 2nd or 3rd stringer that is only going to get a few touches. 

I'm way past embracing the chaos. I think it's good advice but I still think we're going to see zeroes in box scores if there are late scratches. I'm not seeing the mechanics (in my leagues) to avoid it. IR expansion isn't enough. 

I am probably about done trying though. Then when the zero comes I'll just tell them to sit and spin. They'll like that. 
I think that's why you have to say it up front. If there is resistance then the message becomes then you come up with a functional solution that doesn't create other problems. Sometimes that aren't good answers and instead the solution is to identify the least bad one.

I think there are some potential manual processes leagues can add that you hinted at in another post. I'm not bringing them up in mine, but if that's where the consensus goes then I'll adapt. But I'm not asking the commish to manage it. And I'm sure not volunteering. 

I meant each owner picks a backup off their current roster of players not in their starting lineup.  They aren't picking up any new player.  They are just using their bench "backup" in case a player is out due to covid or the game gets postponed.  It is not an advantage to the Monday night guys because theoretically you are putting in a lesser player off your bench if the game is missed.

There is no extra "weight" to the MNF game.  It's just backup incase an unforeseen cancellation happens.

I meant each owner picks a backup off their current roster of players not in their starting lineup.  They aren't picking up any new player.  They are just using their bench "backup" in case a player is out due to covid or the game gets postponed.  It is not an advantage to the Monday night guys because theoretically you are putting in a lesser player off your bench if the game is missed.

There is no extra "weight" to the MNF game.  It's just backup incase an unforeseen cancellation happens.
Ok well yes this is basically what I'm driving at. I think it is maybe doable but will take a little selling.

I think that's why you have to say it up front. If there is resistance then the message becomes then you come up with a functional solution that doesn't create other problems. Sometimes that aren't good answers and instead the solution is to identify the least bad one.

I think there are some potential manual processes leagues can add that you hinted at in another post. I'm not bringing them up in mine, but if that's where the consensus goes then I'll adapt. But I'm not asking the commish to manage it. And I'm sure not volunteering. 
Yep yep and that's why I'm trying to hash it out now. I don't want a zero for my squads either.

With what is happening right now to the Cardinals in baseball I believe the season will end up being cancelled and I'm starting to believe there won't be any football either.  They may attempt to start it, but I just don't see it happening.  The same thing will happen in football as is happening in baseball and they will shut the whole thing down if there isn't a viable treatment.  I think we need to accept this reality, which I really didn't before today.

With what is happening right now to the Cardinals in baseball I believe the season will end up being cancelled and I'm starting to believe there won't be any football either.  They may attempt to start it, but I just don't see it happening.  The same thing will happen in football as is happening in baseball and they will shut the whole thing down if there isn't a viable treatment.  I think we need to accept this reality, which I really didn't before today.
Baseball is over 50% of the way through their season, they aren’t stopping now. If they were to ever stop it would be weeks ago and they blew right past that. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Baseball is over 50% of the way through their season, they aren’t stopping now. If they were to ever stop it would be weeks ago and they blew right past that. 
Cardinals have 9 players and 7 staff infected.  You may be wrong.

What do you mean?  The cardinals shut down for like two weeks and now have been playing for over two weeks.  Everyone else kept playing.  How does that suggest that mlb or  the nfl can’t finish their seasons?

I'd say with all things being relatively equal, I'm going to be more inclined to play the Sunday afternoon players over Monday night players. Especially if you play in leagues where waivers run Weds and Fri nights and there is no way to pick up a last minute fill in.

Users who are viewing this thread