What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL and Covid Issues - Initially Asked in Shark Pool To Keep it 100% NFL (2 Viewers)

ALVIN KAMARA one of several Saints players being "re-tested". Apparently the infected player sat near him on the plane.

TZM

OK not sure this makes sense. 

Let's say Player "A" contracted the disease 5 days ago in New Orleans.  They get tested every day on NFL teams.

His test comes back positive tonight (AFTER he boarded the plane). No other player is infected right now.

They test players who sat near him TONIGHT. But THEY won't show up as positive tests for a few days.  

What's the point?  Testing only works for showing you who is sick NOW, it doesn't tell you anything about the future.

And we know that individuals can be spreaders before even testing positive.

So, yeah, I'm not too confident about the Saints team dodging this right now. And I'm sure the Lions players aren't going to be too thrilled (even though the risk of transmission IN GAME is rather low, comparatively.)

"A bubble" might not be feasible but multiple bubbles would absolutely have been feasible. Even if it mean(gasp) the regular season schedule might have had to change or even shorten. 

If it was player opt-in then players are choosing to be away from their families or not. 

Totally realistic.
Sequestering players was definitely feasible. Apparently, in the Saints preseason,150 out of 180 players abd staff were in a hotel all to themselves. Free room and board I'm guessing. That would've prevented most transmissions, imo, during the regular season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why wouldn't they test BEFORE they get on the plane?

FWIW the Saints played Green Bay last Sunday night. The city of Green Bay currently has a 43% positivity rate

Scroll up, Saints landed and someone test positive and in a cabin of recirculated air likely infected others
I thought flying was relatively safe. If you wear a mask. If you wear a mask the entire flight.
No schtick -- I'm not aware that a plane's HVAC is a particular problem that exacerbates COVID spread. I always took the disease risk of flying more because of the close quarters and proximity to others.
Didn't want to drop this without some kind of backup -- check out the third section titled "The aircraft cabin environment":

When parked at the terminal, fresh air is supplied to the aircraft by auxiliary power units. During flight, fresh air is supplied into the cabin from the engines where the air is heated, compressed, cooled, and passed into the cabin to be circulated by the ventilation system. The outside air is assumed to be sterile at typical cruising altitudes. Air circulation patterns aboard standard commercial aircraft are side-to-side (laminar) with air entering the cabin from overhead, circulating across the aircraft, and exiting the cabin near the floor. Little front-to-back (longitudinal) airflow takes place. This air circulation pattern divides the air flow into sections within the cabin, thereby limiting the spread of airborne particles throughout the passenger cabin.

OK not sure this makes sense. 
I know not all of this does.  Again, I'm just posting it here as fast as it rolls in.

My opinion of all this "play or should not play (overall)" likely is different than many here, so I'll just leave it at that.

Let's not forget the NFL "adopted their own policy" of quarantining for 10 days, and I thought the CDC recommendation months ago,  stated 14 days.

Not saying either is right or wrong, but a large chunk of how this is being handled doesn't make sense at all.

TZM

I would assume they are retesting the FB as well to see if it is a false positive. If kamara was sitting near the FB would it be safe to assume the whole RB position group was sitting together?

My daughter recently flew Miami to LA, AA, somewhat packed plane. No airline food, but some people brought snacks to eat. Otherwise, everyone wore a mask the entire time. I doubt that happened on the flight from NO to Det.

I know not all of this does.  Again, I'm just posting it here as fast as it rolls in.

My opinion of all this "play or should not play (overall)" likely is different than many here, so I'll just leave it at that.

Let's not forget the NFL "adopted their own policy" of quarantining for 10 days, and I thought the CDC recommendation months ago,  stated 14 days.

Not saying either is right or wrong, but a large chunk of how this is being handled doesn't make sense at all.

TZM

If you were potentially exposed to the virus, the CDC recommendation is:

For persons who never develop symptoms, isolation and other precautions can be discontinued 10 days after the date of their first positive RT-PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 RNA.

(That's the 95% CI btw. If you want to be 99% safe, you go out to 14 days).

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/duration-isolation.html

FWIW the Saints played Green Bay last Sunday night. The city of Green Bay currently has a 43% positivity rate
Wait, WHAT????

I live a couple hours from Green Bay, and haven't heard that at all. 

As for NO/Det, I would expect that game to be postponed by morning. 

I'm presuming that this refers to "43% of tests are positive," not "43% of the population has COVID."

If so, it's a sign that Green Bay is doing a poor job of testing.

Multiple coaches have talked about putting a pause on the games this weekend and changing it to a 12 game season and putting teams in hotels for the final 9 games 

ProFootballTalk: A soft bubble was doomed to fail the NFL

The NFL’s experience with COVID-19 unfolded, as one source explained it to PFT late Saturday, like an average golfer who somehow managed to finagle a par on each of he first three holes of the course. Despite the early success, a triple-bogey was always inevitable.

The triple-bogey has now arrived.

The outbreak in Tennessee, followed by potential outbreaks with the Patriots and Saints, show that a soft bubble was never going to work. Every night, with every team, roughly 170 players, coaches, and essential staff go home. “That’s 170 different stories,” as one source put it. “Every night.”

It was inevitable that those 170 people per team eventually would, while away from the facility, get exposed to the virus, either by going somewhere they shouldn’t have gone (e.g., the Raiders) — or simply by living with someone who was exposed to the virus at work, school, the store, etc.

That’s why a soft bubble was never going to work. And that’s why the only way to save the 2020 NFL season is to pull all teams in a hard local bubble, keeping everyone critical to the operation in a hotel so that those 170 stories won’t play out, night after night when the players, coaches, and other employees go home, potentially get exposed to the virus, and then return to work.

The NFL has been willing to create 32 hard bubbles. The NFL Players Association has not been willing to do it. Unless the NFLPA changes its position immediately, games will be lost, game checks will be forfeited, and the season potentially will be stopped dead in its tracks.

Multiple coaches have talked about putting a pause on the games this weekend and changing it to a 12 game season and putting teams in hotels for the final 9 games 
Mike Florio (or staff) tweeted this via @ProFootballTalk and then deleted the tweet for some reason. Here's a screen capture of that tweet (LINK).

Coaches are talking about putting a pause on the games this weekend and changing it to a 12 game season and putting teams in hotels for the final 9 games 
Saw it when it came up, and I don't agree with it.   (not that my opinion matters to the NFL)

All this is showing is this was going to be a problem no matter how we handled it, and we essentially knew as much before the season even started.

AS far as I'm concerned, the NFL basically said before the season "We are going to play", so in my opinion, figure out a way to finish the season with as little impact to the fans, NFL employees/players/coaches and fantasy players as possible.

The fact is it doesn't matter how we handle it at this point, its a mess and its bull#### no matter what happens.

TZM

I think that one thing that seems to be getting ignored in this thread is the possibity that once infections become more widespread in the league (which is a certainty) players themselves might opt out and not feel comfortable playing. Some of these guys are techinically obese, and many of them have families. If they see players starting to get sick at a rapid rate around the league--at some point there will be some players that will opt out (at least thats my prediction).   Do you guys think I'm out of my mind for thinking this is a real possiblity?

I think that one thing that seems to be getting ignored in this thread is the possibity that once infections become more widespread in the league (which is a certainty) players themselves might opt out and not feel comfortable playing. Some of these guys are techinically obese, and many of them have families. If they see players starting to get sick at a rapid rate around the league--at some point there will be some players that will opt out (at least thats my prediction).   Do you guys think I'm out of my mind for thinking this is a real possiblity?
I mentioned this very thing about 1 page back. Obviously, I agree. :thumbup:

No I don't think you are out of your mind. (any more than the rest of us) :P

But I'm fairly sure the NFL came up with some form of contract, and all players will be held responsible. By that, I'm saying I'm positive all players were warned of the consequences before the season started, and many in fact opted out.  So I doubt that any "opt out" from here on, in that sense.

You may see some outright quit or refuse to take the field, but right or wrong, I'm guessing they are opening themselves up to legal consequences, and at the least forfeiture of checks.

TZM

Live look-in on the Pats opt outs:

:coffee:

I mentioned this very thing about 1 page back. Obviously, I agree. :thumbup:
I must have missed that--but thats what happens when you have grilled chicken and rice and pop open a new bottle of brown label lucky dog and get food drunk. Lol.  Finally got around to opening my latest order of lucky dog.  I swear the stuff gets better every time. I still havent gotten the courage to open up the crazy hot one.  Lol. 

In terms of the flying scenario, as long as those players wore their masks(properly), the spread should be minimal or even non existent. A total non political point here, but here in Canada, we mostly wear our masks. I work with seniors everyday and I'm in and out of those "senior homes" daily. PPE works if worn properly. Who knows if these tough guys did that though, probably unlikely, unfortunately. 

Titans could face discipline if review finds they did not follow COVID-19 protocol

One change the league would consider, sources say, is to push the playoffs back a week to create a buffer week -- Week 18 -- to handle schedule alterations due to COVID. It would mean just one week between the championship games and the Super Bowl, but it would not be unprecedented.
This is what I think they need to do and perhaps more than one extra week to make up for the missed games.

I don't really see the negative in pushing back the playoffs a few weeks. 

Re: low spread during games. I think game conditions- heavy breathing, spit flying in close proximity to others is obviously a very transmittable vector. But everyone playing has presumably tested negative within 15-30 hours of kickoff. Of course they could be in their incubation period and actually carrying the virus but the viral load being dished out would still be less than someone further along in the virus with enough in their system to pop a positive test. That’s my very basic understanding at least. This is speculation from a layman but if it’s the case I wonder if this will transition to rapid tests within a couple hours of game time rather than (or in addition to) tests the day before. Assume anyone negative within a couple hours of the game is low likelihood of spreading.

One thing I would like to see is that anybody that tests positive and causes a game to be rescheduled should not be able to play in the rescheduled game.  If you're the idiot that caused all these problems then you should be forced to sit out the rescheduled game.
Unless you live in a plastic bubble there is no way to say you got from being an idiot....

Two more positive tests for Tennessee. Next week's game vs. Buffalo looking dicey.
They seem to the only ones with an actual outbreak.  NE tests coming back negative outside of Cam.  Incubation period may still affect that.

Sucks as I will be in the car today and as of now have to bench Mahomes for Brady. Not sure ill have enough info by noon.

Two more positive tests for Tennessee. Next week's game vs. Buffalo looking dicey.
The Titans are swearing that they went above and beyond following the protocols but that’s hard to believe with this many positive results. The NFL is right to investigate them IMO and dish out a significant penalty if they find that they weren’t following the protocols.

Heck, get the scientists in there because they would make a great case study on how this thing spreads. I think they’re up to 20 people now!?

Sucks as I will be in the car today and as of now have to bench Mahomes for Brady. Not sure ill have enough info by noon.
That’s pretty much my situation. I’ve put Burrows and Higgins in for Mahomes and Hill. That’s not ideal but at least I have those options.  I’m not going to stress out over it just let the chips fall where they may. 

Don’t feel bad. I told my league at our draft that the NFL didn’t announce a plan on postponements, so I’m not going to bend over backwards to try to accommodate everyone. I advised owners to make sure they draft backups at every position and be active on waivers and trades. We have 9 bench spots so I didn’t expand rosters either. I added two IR spots for Covid. You’re right, this shouldn’t be a second job. It’s thankless enough as is. 
It isn't rocket science.  If you can't do what's in the best interest of your league you should probably step down.

That’s pretty much my situation. I’ve put Burrows and Higgins in for Mahomes and Hill. That’s not ideal but at least I have those options.  I’m not going to stress out over it just let the chips fall where they may. 
Yeah...TD heavy league in that one...so I should be ok.  If I get 2 TDs out of Brady...Id be happy...anything better than a zero for risking it with Mahomes

It isn't rocket science.  If you can't do what's in the best interest of your league you should probably step down.
Changing rules after the season starts isn't in the best interest of the league. If you have something in your rules before the season starts as far as contingency plans are concerned, that's fine. My honest opinion is if you open this can of worms for one game this week, you're asking for trouble. Fortunately, the owners in my league are adults who realize that this season was going to be messy, and that we're gambling. If you want to take a chance that the game will be played Monday or Tuesday night and start Mahomes over Brady, that's gambling.

FWIW, I sent this to our Subscribers yesterday:

As you likely know, the New England at Kansas City game will not play tomorrow as planned. The plan, AS OF NOW, and certainly subject to change, is to play the game either this Monday or Tuesday. It's not official, but there seems to be more people leaning toward Tuesday.

As we saw with Tennessee and Pittsburgh though, things can change.

This all seems dependent on whether or not any more players or personnel on either team test positive over the next few days.

I'm going to assume a Tuesday night game.

We're currently projecting the stats for Kansas City and New England players as if the game will happen. We don't have any other way to project than to say "If the game happens, this is what we think they'll do". But you have to understand it's entirely possible the game doesn't happen for Week 4. And we may not know that until well after Sunday. Please factor that into your decisions.

This is purely a guess on my part but you don't pay us money to say "we'll see how it goes". Talking with our staff, this is my guess for odds on how they'd play here:

If another player or personnel tests positive for either Kansas City or New England between now and Tuesday morning, my expectation is they'd move the game to later in the season.

But if they can go without another positive test, I'd guess odds would be something like this:

No new NE or KC positives today or Sunday morning? 50% chance the game is played Tuesday night.

No new NE or KC positives Monday morning? 75% chance the game is played Tuesday night.

No new NE or KC positives Tuesday morning? 90% chance the game is played Tuesday night.

And again, these are just guesses. But it's how I'd play it when it comes to having Kansas City or New England players on your roster.

Where this is tricky of course, is you must consider your options and your league rules.

I'm personally making a choice between starting Patrick Mahomes this week or my backup Gardner Minshew. At Footballguys, we're projecting Mahomes at 22.2 fantasy points in my league compared to Minshew at 18.3 points. I have to make a decision in my league tomorrow morning. That means I'm going with Minshew. For me, rolling the dice Mahomes will play is simply too risky tomorrow morning. That sucks but it's also fantasy football. Sometimes you take the lesser player you feel certain will play over the better player you're not sure about.

As I've said in the past, this isn't anyone's preference. And please be nice to your Commissioner. It is what it is. Roll with the punches and may all the bounces go your way.

J

PS. One more thing to note: Field Yates reports, "The NFL has moved Colts-Bears to 4:15 PM ET tomorrow, back from 1 PM ET."

The Titans are convinced, however, that they have obeyed the rules and have gone out of their way to protect their organization, a team source told ESPN. The Titans believe they have done everything the league has asked, have told the players to wear their masks and have been compliant, according to the source. The Titans also think they've done a better job observing the protocols than other teams around the league, the source said.

Straight out of the playbook of one whom I will not mention. Complete bs. I am a huge titans fan btw

Changing rules after the season starts isn't in the best interest of the league. If you have something in your rules before the season starts as far as contingency plans are concerned, that's fine. My honest opinion is if you open this can of worms for one game this week, you're asking for trouble. Fortunately, the owners in my league are adults who realize that this season was going to be messy, and that we're gambling. If you want to take a chance that the game will be played Monday or Tuesday night and start Mahomes over Brady, that's gambling.
The league is changing and adapting. Why should our FF leagues not do the same. This scenario of a game getting played or not played is unprecedented and things should be treated as such. 

The league is changing and adapting. Why should our FF leagues not do the same. This scenario of a game getting played or not played is unprecedented and things should be treated as such. 
I think changing rules is fine if people understand the change and are on board with it. My league understood that if we permitted backup designating of starers we were basically changing the whole way we did lineups. Some teams would start ranking their whole bench each week to be covered in case covid popped up and those teams would have an advantage over the ones that didn't want to put in that work. So our league opted to accept the chaos and roll with the punches. 

Users who are viewing this thread