What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

True or False: Alanis Morissette is one of the greatest female singers in rock history (1 Viewer)

I don't know if she's one of the greatest ever - but she's pretty damn great. I celebrate her entire catalogue.*

*Ok, not the entire catalogue. But a lot of it. She's dope.

I don't think she's been mentioned yet but PJ Harvey is a direct comp and >>>> Alanis. 
If we're talking about singing voice, PJ is OK. I wouldn't put her up there with Joplin or Wilson or anyone like that, but the voice she has suits her material well.

Her material blows Alanis' out of the water and is among the best of any woman in rock. 

how broad is your definition of rock?

rockers - Janis, Joan Jett, Debbie Harry, Patti Smith, Pat Benatar, Annie Lennox, Chrissie Hynde, Ann & Nancy, Grace Slick, Courtney Love, Siouxsie Sioux, PJ Harvery

pop stars - Madonna, Stevie Nicks, Tina Turner, Linda Ronstadt, Björk, Gwen Stefani

folk/Americana - Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Carol King

Amy Winehouse was too soulful to fit into any of those IMO

Anyway, I guess Alanis is on one of those lists but wouldn't be near the top for me
Whats missing here is -

more current - Amy Lee

grunge - Kim Deal, Kim Gordon

new wave - Kate Pierson, Wendy O. Williams, Terri Nunn, Belinda Carlisle, Eddie Brickell

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats missing here is -

more current - Amy Lee

grunge - Kim Deal, Kim Gordon

new wave - Kate Pierson, Wendy O. Williams, Terri Nunn, Belinda Carlisle, Eddie Brickell
Edie is a good comp, Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars was as good as any album that came out 88-89

♥️ Brandi Carlisle

Belinda, meh for me (couple great pop hits tho)

I presume the rest of those are amazing, don’t know any of them

pretty sure all my CDs are in a box in the deepest part of my storage unit

will end up at Goodwill one day

how broad is your definition of rock?

rockers - Janis, Joan Jett, Debbie Harry, Patti Smith, Pat Benatar, Annie Lennox, Chrissie Hynde, Ann & Nancy, Grace Slick, Courtney Love, Siouxsie Sioux, PJ Harvery

pop stars - Madonna, Stevie Nicks, Tina Turner, Linda Ronstadt, Björk, Gwen Stefani

folk/Americana - Joni Mitchell, Bonnie Raitt, Carol King

Amy Winehouse was too soulful to fit into any of those IMO

Anyway, I guess Alanis is on one of those lists but wouldn't be near the top for me
I think of Stevie Nicks are more rock than pop, although I guess Fleetwood Mac and most of her solo material was always more soft rock than anything.  I think of pop as stuff like Madonna (good singer considering her limited vocal abilities, meaning she wasn't born with pipes to belt it out like Whitney or Mariah).  Back to Stevie, she'd be high on my list. 

Karen Carpenter has to be way up there as well, even if the Carpenters aren't a band I really ever listen to (nothing wrong with easy listening music, just not stuff I actively seek out).

Chrissie Hynde always struck me as more of an icon than a great singer.  Pretenders were a good band at their peak.

I wish Annie Lennox had more songs I liked because she has a terrific voice. 

Don't ya think? (that is the one of the two JLP hits I actually like)

I probably rate her higher as a singer than I would as an artist, if that makes sense.  I could spitball a top 100 favorite artists list and she wouldn't make it, but the songs of hers I do like a lot (10-12 roughly) are strong enough vocally that I have to give her some props.
Her voice is awesome.  The list of great female rock singers is not that long....Janis, Joan, Ann,  Chrissie, Tina,  Pat, Gwen, Stevie, Grace and a handful of other iconic female rock singers.  Alantis vocally is on par with all of them.  But her music is not. 

I think of Stevie Nicks are more rock than pop, although I guess Fleetwood Mac and most of her solo material was always more soft rock than anything.  I think of pop as stuff like Madonna (good singer considering her limited vocal abilities, meaning she wasn't born with pipes to belt it out like Whitney or Mariah).  Back to Stevie, she'd be high on my list. 

Karen Carpenter has to be way up there as well, even if the Carpenters aren't a band I really ever listen to (nothing wrong with easy listening music, just not stuff I actively seek out).

Chrissie Hynde always struck me as more of an icon than a great singer.  Pretenders were a good band at their peak.

I wish Annie Lennox had more songs I liked because she has a terrific voice. 
Karen Carpenter is vastly under appreciated.  I have seen lists of top 50 female singers and she did not even make the cut.  One of the most beautiful smoothest voices ever.  I think because she stayed mainly in the low-range and rarely showed off her high range, which was very distinctive and rare for a women to sound that great there, people discount her talents.  

Her voice is awesome.  The list of great female rock singers is not that long....Janis, Joan, Ann,  Chrissie, Tina,  Pat, Gwen, Stevie, Grace and a handful of other iconic female rock singers.  Alantis vocally is on par with all of them.  But her music is not. 
Yeah, I wish she had more songs I liked.  It's unfortunate that her most well known songs will ultimately be the ones where I find her yelping to be annoyingly distracting (You Oughta Know, for example).

Edie is a good comp, Shooting Rubberbands at the Stars was as good as any album that came out 88-89

♥️ Brandi Carlisle

Belinda, meh for me (couple great pop hits tho)

I presume the rest of those are amazing, don’t know any of them
Amy Lee - Evanesence

Kim Deal = Pixies; Breeders

Kim Gordon = Sonic Youth

Kate Pierson = B-52s

Wendy O. Williams = Plasmatics

Terri Nunn = Berlin

Amy Lee - Evanesence

Kim Deal = Pixies; Breeders

Kim Gordon = Sonic Youth

Kate Pierson = B-52s

Wendy O. Williams = Plasmatics

Terri Nunn = Berlin
thanks!

:bag:

Obviously at no point in my rambling, incoherent response was I even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having to read it. May God have mercy on my soul.

what if the question was greatest Canadian female rocker (broad definition) of all time?

• Joni Mitchell
  • Sarah McLachlan
  • k.d. lang
  • Buffy Sainte-Marie
  • Nelly Furtado
I'd put her in the same tier as Avril Lavigne
Isn't Aimee Mann Canadian? I like her a lot.

Not Canadian, and maybe not technically considered a rocker, but Kate Bush is one of my favorite female vocalists of all time

I would have said FALSE immediately for the longest time, but a few of her songs have aged well for me, and I have more of an appreciation for her unusual and unique vocal style than I did before.  Still tough to give a solid TRUE here, but I am starting lean that way.  I saw a list a while back of the greatest female singers and there were a bunch on there that can't hold a candle to her.
:postingonedibles:

I would have said FALSE immediately for the longest time, but a few of her songs have aged well for me, and I have more of an appreciation for her unusual and unique vocal style than I did before.  Still tough to give a solid TRUE here, but I am starting lean that way.  I saw a list a while back of the greatest female singers and there were a bunch on there that can't hold a candle to her.
Just ran across this and haven't read the thread yet. My immediate thought was, the number of women in the group that comprises the "greatest female singers in rock history" would have to be really large to include Morissette.

Update: Alanis recently released a meditation album.  It sounds like music you'd listen to when getting a massage.  Props to her doing something really different, but I doubt it will improve her rock cred with this crowd. :P

Update: Alanis recently released a meditation album.  It sounds like music you'd listen to when getting a massage.  Props to her doing something really different, but I doubt it will improve her rock cred with this crowd. :P
This crowd has definitely been on pins and needles waiting for an Alanis update.

She's fine, i like her interviews, some good tunes but as a singer it's tought to beat Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson.

She's fine, i like her interviews, some good tunes but as a singer it's tought to beat Stevie Nicks and Ann Wilson.
I doubt most will disagree with Ann Wilson, but I have been surprised over the years to see how many do like Stevie's voice.  I like the raspy, more natural quality her voice always had, and she could belt it out a little in her prime, before she destroyed her range in the early 80s.  And her success, both with Fleetwood Mac and as a solo artists, is impossible to deny.  On the list of most iconic female rock singers, Stevie Nicks sits right near the top. 

more current - Amy Lee
Took until the second page to mention the best female rock singer of the last 20 yrs.

Joan Jett, Debbie Harry, Stevie Nicks,, Janis Joplin, Ann Wilson and Pat Benetar were the first ones that came to mind.

I'd probably put Alanis somewhere firmly in the top 100 and likely in the top 50 without actually going through the exercise. I honestly thought of her more like edgy pop than Rock N Roll.

Took until the second page to mention the best female rock singer of the last 20 yrs.

Joan Jett, Debbie Harry, Stevie Nicks,, Janis Joplin, Ann Wilson and Pat Benetar were the first ones that came to mind.

Those were also my first thoughts along with Patti Smith, Kim Deal, Dolores O'Riordan, Liz Phair and Grace Slick. 

Some newer/ underrated chick singers

Dorothy Martin from Dorothy

Lzzy Hale from Halestrom

Sandra Nasić from Guano Apes

Bif Naked

Morgan Lander from Kittie

Militia Vox

The Boomer Mount Rushmore of female rock & roll singers:

Annie Wilson

Aretha Franklin

Donna Summer

Joan Jett

Some newer/ underrated chick singers

Dorothy Martin from Dorothy

Lzzy Hale from Halestrom

Sandra Nasić from Guano Apes

Bif Naked

Morgan Lander from Kittie

Militia Vox
Adrianne Lenker from Big Thief is absolutely #1 right now IMO. Best rock/indie rock band out there. 

The Boomer Mount Rushmore of female rock & roll singers:

Annie Wilson

Aretha Franklin

Donna Summer

Joan Jett
Comments:

• Tina Turner would like a word. As would Stevie Nicks. And Janis Joplin.
  • I wouldn't personally view Donna Summer as a rock singer.
  • I like Joan Jett, but Mount Rushmore, i.e., top 4 of all time? :no:  

Her voice is great on certain tracks (All I really want, You Oughtta know) but nails on a chalkboard for others. Also, Hand in My Pocket and Ironic are two of the dumbest songs in rock history.

I'd probably put Alanis somewhere firmly in the top 100 and likely in the top 50 without actually going through the exercise. I honestly thought of her more like edgy pop than Rock N Roll.
Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love Aimee Lee, but Florence Welch from Florence and the Machine has the edge. Take a listen to Girl With One Eye. 

Users who are viewing this thread