What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

•••Official 2018 Denver Broncos thread*** (1 Viewer)

Actually it is correct. You asked when the last time a team signed a QB for a similar contract and then drafted a QB high same year.

March 2016 eagles sign Bradford to a contract worth 36 million over 2 years with 26mill gtd. April 2016 eagles draft Wentz.
You’re right. That’s an even better example then. I take back my comments. Can’t rule out a QB for Denver.

I'm trying to understand the argument here. If you're at 5 and content to take one of the top 4 QBs or the supposed generational talent RB or the G, it seems you're in a really good spot.

No need to move up. Especially when other teams are trying to do the same. 

I personally don't think 4 QBs go top 4, but if they do that's not a problem for Denver.
thank you.

I'm trying to understand the argument here. If you're at 5 and content to take one of the top 4 QBs or the supposed generational talent RB or the G, it seems you're in a really good spot.

No need to move up. Especially when other teams are trying to do the same. 

I personally don't think 4 QBs go top 4, but if they do that's not a problem for Denver.
The Broncos are looking in the rear view mirror on a season that saw the worst losing streak in over 50 years and the first shut out in 25 years and are looking at the first back-to-back losing seasons since 1970-71.   

If Elway thought Paxton Lynch could develop then I would agree with you and he could go with the RB or G but I think John wants a young QB to build around and that he would trade Lynch during the draft if he can get one of the top QBs.

I just don't think John Elway is going to sit tight with a 30 year old free agent QB who isn't really big or strong or athletic and doesn't have a big gun like he had.  Just my humble opinion.

I was expecting Denver to cut CJ Anderson by now.  Do any of you homers have any insight as to whether they are gonna stick with him and Booker for this year?  Especially if they don't take Barkley if he somehow falls to them.   

I was expecting Denver to cut CJ Anderson by now.  Do any of you homers have any insight as to whether they are gonna stick with him and Booker for this year?  Especially if they don't take Barkley if he somehow falls to them.   
Iirc.....they would of cut cja if they signed cousins for cap space....last i heard was they are trying to trade him but his value is nil with the current crop of rbs coming in the league. So i think they keep him now...

I have them taking him in my mock.

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/765385-st-pattys-day-mock-edit-for-jetcolt-trade/

-----------------------------------------------

Just my guess but I got this one right before it happened so...

IND - 'likely' trade down to #6 with NYJ who take Baker Mayfield.  Indianapolis would still get Saquon or Chubb at 6 because the third QB goes here and the fourth QB will DEFINITELY go with the 4th or 5th pick assuring them of landing Barkley or Brad-Chubb at #6 AND they pick up an extra 2nd this year

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading thru mocks, I am not sure anyone can agree on what Denver will do. 

Just when I convince myself with who I hope they draft I change my mind. That being said, this is the biggest draft of Elway’s tenure. They have to get this one right.

What about Chubb? Shane Ray hasn't really panned out, and Chubb opposite Miller(or possibly even on the d-line) could really be a boon to the defense.

What about Chubb? Shane Ray hasn't really panned out, and Chubb opposite Miller(or possibly even on the d-line) could really be a boon to the defense.
See I agree with this only if Barkley isn’t there. However, then I say to myself, with the mess that is the o-line, is Barkley a luxury pick Denver can’t really afford to take?  Then again, Denver is going to draft an RB at some point because I am not sold on Booker being the every down guy. 

Then I convince myself that (if Buffalo wants to move up) do you do that deal and take two quality players vs one.  

The only thing I AM sure of is if QBs go 1-4, I don’t want Denver taking the 5th. 

QBs are not going 1-4.  If CLE doesn’t pick Barkley, the Giants will.  They’ll try to squeeze two more years out of Eli while improving their backfield immensely.  Then they can either use their 2nd rounder for a QB (maybe trade up into the middle if Rd 1 to do it) or wait until next year.

Of course it could happen that QBs go 1-4, but with 2 potential transcedent non-QBs in this draft and none of the QBs being set-in-stone franchise guys, I think it’s highly unlikely.  Certainly much more unlikely than probable.

Last edited by a moderator:
QBs are not going 1-4.  If CLE doesn’t pick Barkley, the Giants will.  They’ll try to squeeze two more years out of Eli while improving their backfield immensely.  Then they can either use their 2nd rounder for a QB (maybe trade up into the middle if Rd 1 to do it) or wait until next year.

Of course it could happen that QBs go 1-4, but with 2 potential transcedent non-QBs in this draft and none of the QBs being set-in-stone franchise guys, I think it’s highly unlikely.  Certainly much more unlikely than probable.
If the Giants were serious about making one last big Super Bowl push with their 37 year old QB who has gone downhill over the past three years then why trade JJP and float that ODB was available for two 1st round picks?

What position has transcended franchise QB at the top of the draft?

The last two years, without 4 QBs being bandied about as top four picks the 'transcendent' RBs went off the board at pick #4. 

If a team needs a franchise QB they take that opportunity.

If no QB is viewed as a franchise QB when they select and they still need one then they make every effort to land one, see NYJ who leap frogged Denver to make sure they are in position to take a QB.  Also, see LARs moving up for Goeth, Philly moving up for Wentz, or last year with Chicago moving up for Trubisky and Texas moving up for DeSuan Watson.

If no a franchise QB is available at the top of the draft and you can't move-up for one then go for a RB or a pass rusher.

If the Giants were serious about making one last big Super Bowl push with their 37 year old QB who has gone downhill over the past three years then why trade JJP and float that ODB was available for two 1st round picks?

What position has transcended franchise QB at the top of the draft?

The last two years, without 4 QBs being bandied about as top four picks the 'transcendent' RBs went off the board at pick #4. 

If a team needs a franchise QB they take that opportunity.

If no QB is viewed as a franchise QB when they select and they still need one then they make every effort to land one, see NYJ who leap frogged Denver to make sure they are in position to take a QB.  Also, see LARs moving up for Goeth, Philly moving up for Wentz, or last year with Chicago moving up for Trubisky and Texas moving up for DeSuan Watson.

If no a franchise QB is available at the top of the draft and you can't move-up for one then go for a RB or a pass rusher.

Well, I disagree with your position and laid out why.  I could easily see the Giants opting for one of the second tier guys - a couple of whom I like better than at least 2 of the top 5 because I think they’ll have better QB skill transfer.  If you take Barkley and he realizes his potential, you don’t need a superstar QB, just a solid one.  

Guess we’ll have to wait and see.

Well, I disagree with your position and laid out why.  I could easily see the Giants opting for one of the second tier guys - a couple of whom I like better than at least 2 of the top 5 because I think they’ll have better QB skill transfer.  If you take Barkley and he realizes his potential, you don’t need a superstar QB, just a solid one.  

Guess we’ll have to wait and see.
Yep, we just disagree on what the Giants will do.  I haven't budged at all from them taking a QB with the second pick.  I figured the Jets would trade-up with INDY because it made sense to leap frog Denver.  Why?  They are a legit threat to take a QB and Buffalo and other QB needy teams likely see that as well so that is why I think 4 QBs will be gone by pick six.

I didn't see the game yesterday except for the last couple minutes, but it sounds like the Broncos were pretty fortunate to win.  

For those watching, how did Bradley Chubb look? 

Keenum's INT's are concerning. 

I am so sick of Demaryius Thomas and his drops.  

The next four games will tell us if this team is legit:

At Ravens
vs Chiefs
at Jets
vs Rams

KC fan perspective....loved seeing them sign Keenum...he doesn't really scare anybody and really doesn't make the players around him better....he does ok with a solid team around him, but this team has a terrible offensive line....aging and overpaid WR's....and no TE... as well as a 2nd year head coach who looked to be way in over his head last year and only has a job because Elway left him with crap at QB and firing him would really in some ways been very unfair....(I still don't think Joseph makes it through this season)....I completely disagree with those that say Denver is not rebuilding.....they have now lost several (believe more than half) of the key pieces of the 2015 defense....including the defensive coordinator who Elway was too cheap to pay....when you go 5-11 it might be hard to admit you are in rebuild mode, so call it what you want, but this team was not "JUST A QB" away from being a good team.....they have a ton of holes on both sides of the ball....I think Denver set a record for the worst 2 year record of any team following a SB victory....the 9-7 two years ago very easily could have been 7-9 if not for the miracle in New Orleans and the missed FG after the timeout against CAR on opening night...Gano made the first one...Elway said he has no problem swinging and missing and that missing doesn't bother him....even though it (missing on Brock and Lynch) has them where they are at right now....he tried to fix the oline the last couple of years with band aids when it needed stitches....passing on guys in FA like Whitworth and Reiff...not wanting to pay them....and having to throw the likes of Stevenson and Watson out there....and then probably also then having to reach on Bolles (who led lineman in penalties last year)......IMO, there is ZERO chance they don't take a QB at #5....Keenum's contract is all you need to know....he will start but he will be looking over his shoulder as soon as he thows a pick cause the Denver fans will want to see the shiny new toy they draft at #5...$18 mil isn't chump change...but Keenum will just be a stop gap until the rookie is ready to go....and if if the rookie isn't ready they may be forced to play him before they want to anyway....I see that Von has also restructured, which is good for Denver cause that was another bad contract by Elway.....helps ease the pain of still having to pay DT's ridiculous contract....if they don't take a QB at #5, you are looking at having to go through this all over again, and I don't think Keenum is the answer....this team is probably 5-11 last year with Keenum....just my  :2cents:
Elway...... :lmao:

I feel for Vic Fangio.  The guy really is a defensive genius.  He has all the earmarks of a guy that's been with a company for a long time, has been great at a job he loves, and being cajoled into a high level supervisory position where he's in control of a large amount of employees across numerous departments.

Don't get me wrong.  He's a grown ### man that made his own decision.  But he doesn't look comfortable, and quite frankly doesn't look like he's enjoying what he's doing.

I feel for Vic Fangio.  The guy really is a defensive genius.  He has all the earmarks of a guy that's been with a company for a long time, has been great at a job he loves, and being cajoled into a high level supervisory position where he's in control of a large amount of employees across numerous departments.

Don't get me wrong.  He's a grown ### man that made his own decision.  But he doesn't look comfortable, and quite frankly doesn't look like he's enjoying what he's doing.
Team looked totally unprepared. Maybe not playing anyone in preseason wasn't such a good idea after all. 

Broncos moving closer to fire sale, and even Von Miller could be moved before deadline

Chris Harris, Emmanuel Sanders, Derek Wolfe are among others who could be on the way out

A year after rebuffing almost all trade inquiries ahead of the deadline, Broncos general manager John Elway is more seriously mulling big moves in the coming weeks, league sources said, with some rival general managers hopeful that overhaul could include even pass rushing legend Von Miller.

The Broncos, winless amid another coaching change and with a roster aging in key spots, have already begun getting exploratory trade calls ahead of the deadline, league sources said, with a handful of contending teams making it clear they value several of Denver's veterans -- Miller; defensive lineman Derek Wolfe, 29; corner Chris Harris, 30; and receiver Emmanuel Sanders, 32. Elway declined to deal many of those same players at the deadline a year ago, with multiple offers on the table, but the scope of Denver's prolonged losing and a need for future draft picks to rebuild has led to Elway more seriously considering such moves in 2019, according to sources with knowledge of the situation...
Go to the link for the rest of the story.

Is this the only Broncos thread??

Anyway, I loved -- LOVED!! -- Joe Flacco's postgame comments. He sounded just like every other frustrated fan that you hear on talk radio shows and on barstools across the country:

"We're now a 2-and-6 football team and we're, like, afraid to go for it in a two minute drill, ya know? Like, who cares if you give the ball back to the [other] guys with a minute-forty seconds left? They obviously kicked the field goal anyway! And, once again, we're a 2-and-6 football team. And it just feels like, we're kind of afraid to lose a game. It's 3rd-and-5 at the end of the game , ya know, it's -- who cares if they have a timeout there at the end, or not? Ya know, gettin' in field goal range isn't that tough. Ya know? So you're just putting your defense in these bad situations, and, uh, I just felt like, 'What do we have to lose?' Like, why can't we be aggressive in some of these situations?"

Users who are viewing this thread