What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

★ Darrelle Revis - Released by Jets. Soon to be Safety? (3 Viewers)

It's time like this that I don't mind having Mike Brown as an owner. I know we won't make some crazy stupid offer for Revis. Some team probably will and they'll overpay.-QG

It's time like this that I don't mind having Mike Brown as an owner. I know we won't make some crazy stupid offer for Revis. Some team probably will and they'll overpay.-QG
That is my thought exactly. As a Jets fan, I will be surprised if they get less than a 1st and a 3rd...not that it is "market", but the fact that only 1 team has to overpay, they will likely get good value. For example, if Dallas does not draft Claiborne last year, would anyone think that they would not pay at least a 1st and a 3rd? There is always a GM on playoff border team who is on the hot seat; the gamble is worth it, because he is going to lose his job if they do not make the playoffs, and if he puts the team in cap hell and it fails, what is the difference to him if he is gone. If it works, he looks like a genius, and lives to work another couple of years.

That is my thought exactly. As a Jets fan, I will be surprised if they get less than a 1st and a 3rd...not that it is "market", but the fact that only 1 team has to overpay, they will likely get good value. For example, if Dallas does not draft Claiborne last year, would anyone think that they would not pay at least a 1st and a 3rd? There is always a GM on playoff border team who is on the hot seat; the gamble is worth it, because he is going to lose his job if they do not make the playoffs, and if he puts the team in cap hell and it fails, what is the difference to him if he is gone. If it works, he looks like a genius, and lives to work another couple of years.
Unfortunately for the Jets, Hue Jackson is safely stashed away on our coaching staff instead of being a GM somewhere :D He'd have give 5 first rounders and 3 2nd rounders for Revis probably ;) -QG

Is Marques Colston a free agent? If not, might New Orleans consider packaging him and a draft pick for Revis? That could really help both teams.

Is Marques Colston a free agent? If not, might New Orleans consider packaging him and a draft pick for Revis? That could really help both teams.
Why would the Jets want a 30 year old WR with terrible knees and four years at $8 MM per remaining on his contract?

Why would the Jets want a 30 year old WR with terrible knees and four years at $8 MM per remaining on his contract?
Because their QB situation is totally solid and they just need to load up on offensive weapons now? Wait, no... Hmmm. Yeah, I'm with you.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/24/revis-rendered-speechless-by-trade-rumors/

Revis rendered “speechless” by trade rumors

Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2013, 2:25 PM EST

The Jets reportedly will consider trading cornerback Darrelle Revis. Darrelle Revis considers that a surprise.

“I’m speechless,” Revis said on Twitter, “but more importantly I feel more upset for the Jet nation for having to go through this!!!”

Don’t feel sorry for Jet nation, Darrelle. They’ve become battle hardened over the last year.

As we’ve explained, Revis holds all the cards. If the Jets want to trade him and if they in turn hope to get full value, the new team would want to have a long-term deal in place. If Darrelle chooses not to do that, it will be hard for the Jets to get what they want in trade.

Instead, Revis can focus on getting his knee healthy, becoming a free agent after the season, and agreeing to terms with the highest bidder next year.
He's just speechless!!

Why would the Saints want a CB who wants a huge contract and is coming off a major injury?I am a Jets fan and Revis is my favorite player. I don't expect much more for him in a trade than a Colston-level veteran and a draft pick (3rd round probably).

A historically bad DEF needs a bunch more than a single CB.
So they would not be interested in Revis if all it means is one day two draft pick and a veteran player?It was just an idea anyway. We shall see what actually happens and bump at the appropriate time. I bet if traded it will be something along the lines I suggested.

Why would the Saints want a CB who wants a huge contract and is coming off a major injury?I am a Jets fan and Revis is my favorite player. I don't expect much more for him in a trade than a Colston-level veteran and a draft pick (3rd round probably).
If that's the market value - my guess is that it would be more friendly than that - then they should just keep him and trade him at the deadline once he shows he can play (and if he proves he can't then so be it).They don't need to take on any more bad contracts.

49ers should offer up Alex Smith and see if the Jets bite. I know there is a 0.0001% chance of that ever even being considered, but it sounds good to me. Especially after watching Julio absolutely abuse Brown. Revis, Rogers and Culliver? /drool

Likeliest scenario is he stays in New York but if a trade happens what is the most likely scenario?

A stud true shut-down CB would fetch a high price if healthy so lets assume he is or will be healthy, now lets make one last assumption.

Lets say Revis understands he will get one big long term contract so any team making a trade under the above conditions is on board with the fact that, Revis is healthy, Revis is open to signing a long term contract, Revis is a stud shut-down CB, and the Jets are open to trading him.

Nothing can be done to make him younger than 28 so lets say he's still in his prime at age 28.

Now what is the market?

Pretty wide open I'd believe. I would expect at least a first round pick if the above scenario took place.

One last thing. What would be a good fit for Revis and the team wanting to acquire him? Revis would want to go to a team that was close or where his pressence could make an impact so he'd want to get on a team with one solid CB starting opposite him or get on a defense that had many other pieces in place where a stud shut-down CB could easily push them over the top. Any team making a serious push would also be looking at the same thing.

At the top of the draft I wouldn't believe any team would give up a first round pick until you start to get down around pick #10 and the Titans who were the worst defense in the league in terms of giving up points and they do have a big issue at CB but they are on the cusp and the Jets would probably want to ship Derrele out of the conference.

Keep going down the draft order:

11. San Diego - finished 16th defensively giving up points, starting cornerbacks Quinten Jammer (age 33) and Antoine Cason (age 26) so they could use a true stud shut-down CB in his prime but its not a great fit from Revis' or the Bolts side because they don't have a true shut-down type of CB or have the pieces where one guy like Revis would push them over the top and their offense needs a bit more help not to mention they are in the AFC

12. Miami - Nah, not happening where the Jets trade their top defender within the division

13. Tampa Bay - DEF 23rd giving up pts, starting CBs E.J. Biggers (age 25) and mixed bag of Eric Wright (age 27( and Leonard Johnson (age 22) so they are in need of a starting CB let alone a stud CB.

Very good fit because he could make an impact with Biggers and a young up-and-coming defense. Very intruging. Picking 13th I doubt the Bucs could get ANYONE who could make the sort of impact that Revis could make and they are in the NFC so the Jets would be more open to this deal as well.

14. Carolina - DEF 22nd pts, starting CBs Josh Norman (25) Captian Mynerlynn (24). The Panthers have two young corners but I'm not sure how good they are. They have some decent pass rushers and have invested in their linebacking corps so a stud CB in his prime could push them over the top. They're in the NFC and appear to be a decent fit.

15. New Orleans - DEF 31st, starting CBs Patrick Robinson (28) and Jabrari Greer (30). I don't know if you could call either Robinson or Greer a stud CB and the overall defense is pretty bad so I'm not sure how much impact one stud CB could make. Not a great fit.

16. St. Louis - DEF 14th, starting CBs Courtland Finnegan (age 28) and Janoris Jenksins (age 24). The Rams hold two first round picks so it automatically rings some bells but I actually like both of their corners so I don't think its a good fit.

17. Pittsburgh - DEF 6th, starting CBs Ike Taylor (32) and Keenan Lewis (26). Um on the surface Ike Taylor is very solid but at age 32 its not a great fit and how much better can that defense get? Also they are in the AFC so it makes sense on a couple of levels but overall not a great fit.

18. Dallas - Nah, no cap and two stud CBs already on the team.

19. NY Giants - Nah, they have two 'decent' CBs in Corey Webster and Prince Amukamara.

20. Chicago - Solid no, not with Tillman and Tim Jennings.

21. Cincinnati - They've actually got a solid group of CBs and drafted one in the first round last year who hasn't had a chance to play yet and they are in the AFC so no.

22. St. Louis *from Washington - see above

23. Baltimore - I'm sure the Ravens would love it but the Jets would want to go outside the conference.

24. Indianapolis - ditto

25. Minnesota - DEF 14th, starting CBs Antoine Winfield (age 35) and Josh Robinson (age 21) also Chirs Cook (age 25) had 19 starts. Ya know, not a bad fit at all. They have some pass rushers and added Harrison at FS and have a young guy like Robinson and they are in the NFC. No chance they get an impact shut down stud CB like with a late first round pick so this is also a good fit.

26. Seattle - No, not with those stud CBs already in place.

27. Green Bay - Nah, they actually do have good young CBs.

28. San Fran - at this point I think the Jets would be looking at a higher first round draft selection, basically looking for a better deal.

Lets look at the best fits for Revis >>

1. Tamp Bay

2. Carolina

3. Minnesota

That is assuming a number of things, the Jets can't resign him or want to move on, he's completely healthy, he's open to signing a long-term contract. If all of those conditions are in place I think those three teams are the best fit.

49ers should offer up Alex Smith and see if the Jets bite. I know there is a 0.0001% chance of that ever even being considered, but it sounds good to me. Especially after watching Julio absolutely abuse Brown. Revis, Rogers and Culliver? /drool
The Jets should accommodate this just for the hilarity of tying up $16 million in guaranteed salary to Smith and Sanchez in 2013.

Likeliest scenario is he stays in New York but if a trade happens what is the most likely scenario?

A stud true shut-down CB would fetch a high price if healthy so lets assume he is or will be healthy, now lets make one last assumption.

Lets say Revis understands he will get one big long term contract so any team making a trade under the above conditions is on board with the fact that, Revis is healthy, Revis is open to signing a long term contract, Revis is a stud shut-down CB, and the Jets are open to trading him.

Nothing can be done to make him younger than 28 so lets say he's still in his prime at age 28.

Now what is the market?

Pretty wide open I'd believe. I would expect at least a first round pick if the above scenario took place.

One last thing. What would be a good fit for Revis and the team wanting to acquire him? Revis would want to go to a team that was close or where his pressence could make an impact so he'd want to get on a team with one solid CB starting opposite him or get on a defense that had many other pieces in place where a stud shut-down CB could easily push them over the top. Any team making a serious push would also be looking at the same thing.

At the top of the draft I wouldn't believe any team would give up a first round pick until you start to get down around pick #10 and the Titans who were the worst defense in the league in terms of giving up points and they do have a big issue at CB but they are on the cusp and the Jets would probably want to ship Derrele out of the conference.

11. San Diego - finished 16th defensively giving up points, starting cornerbacks Quinten Jammer (age 33) and Antoine Cason (age 26) so they could use a true stud shut-down CB in his prime but its not a great fit from Revis' or the Bolts side because they don't have a true shut-down type of CB or have the pieces where one guy like Revis would push them over the top and their offense needs a bit more help not to mention they are in the AFC

12. Miami - Nah, not happening where the Jets trade their top defender within the division

13. Tampa Bay - DEF 23rd giving up pts, starting CBs E.J. Biggers (age 25) and mixed bag of Eric Wright (age 27( and Leonard Johnson (age 22) so they are in need of a starting CB let alone a stud CB.

Very good fit because he could make an impact with Biggers and a young up-and-coming defense. Very intruging. Picking 13th I doubt the Bucs could get ANYONE who could make the sort of impact that Revis could make and they are in the NFC so the Jets would be more open to this deal as well.

14. Carolina - DEF 22nd pts, starting CBs Josh Norman (25) Captian Mynerlynn (24). The Panthers have two young corners but I'm not sure how good they are. They have some decent pass rushers and have invested in their linebacking corps so a stud CB in his prime could push them over the top. They're in the NFC and appear to be a decent fit.

15. New Orleans - DEF 31st, starting CBs Patrick Robinson (28) and Jabrari Greer (30). I don't know if you could call either Robinson or Greer a stud CB and the overall defense is pretty bad so I'm not sure how much impact one stud CB could make. Not a great fit.

16. St. Louis - DEF 14th, starting CBs Courtland Finnegan (age 28) and Janoris Jenksins (age 24). The Rams hold two first round picks so it automatically rings some bells but I actually like both of their corners so I don't think its a good fit.

17. Pittsburgh - DEF 6th, starting CBs Ike Taylor (32) and Keenan Lewis (26). Um on the surface Ike Taylor is very solid but at age 32 its not a great fit and how much better can that defense get? Also they are in the AFC so it makes sense on a couple of levels but overall not a great fit.

19. NY Giants - Nah, they have two 'decent' CBs in Corey Webster and Prince Amukamara.

21. Cincinnati - They've actually got a solid group of CBs and drafted one in the first round last year who hasn't had a chance to play yet and they are in the AFC so no.

23. Baltimore - I'm sure the Ravens would love it but the Jets would want to go outside the conference.

24. Indianapolis - ditto

25. Minnesota - DEF 14th, starting CBs Antoine Winfield (age 35) and Josh Robinson (age 21) also Chirs Cook (age 25) had 19 starts. Ya know, not a bad fit at all. They have some pass rushers and added Harrison at FS and have a young guy like Robinson and they are in the NFC. No chance they get an impact shut down stud CB like with a late first round pick so this is also a good fit.

28. San Fran - at this point I think the Jets would be looking at a higher first round draft selection, basically looking for a better deal.

1. Tamp Bay

2. Carolina

3. Minnesota

That is assuming a number of things, the Jets can't resign him or want to move on, he's completely healthy, he's open to signing a long-term contract. If all of those conditions are in place I think those three teams are the best fit.
since when did tampa ever want to pay anybody?

I wouldn't touch him. Yeah, the injury, but forget that. If he gets traded, his knee will check out. If his knee is questionable, no trade will get past the sniffing butt stage.

It's him. I don't want him. The contract thing, I mean, geez. What are the chances he is happy with whatever deal he gets, two years from now? The best case scenario is also the worst case scenario: Revis is worth every dime. Someone, within the near future, is going to surpass his deal, or equal it, and history suggests Revis going to go public, repeatedly.

Even then, let's assume he is happy for the length of his deal. I think it is impossible for, week in and week out, him to be worth that money. If this was the NFL of 40 years ago, and teams ran with only two WRs, fine. But with 5 wides, how bad are my 3rd, 4th, and 5th CBs, because I had to pay Revis? I can get two good CBs, and an average one, for that money. Cornerbacks can be taken out of the game, ignored by the other team. Not all the time, and on that game when you are playing Detroit, it is worth it to take Calvin out of the game, sure. I am not sure it's the best place to have all your dollars in ONE guy. Give me the #1 DT, or #1DE, over the #1 CB, any day. You can't hide from Haloti Ngata. You can, however, hide from Revis.

Now what is the market?

24. Indianapolis - ditto

1. Tamp Bay

2. Carolina

3. Minnesota

My linkVincent Jackson gets 5 years, $55M

Now what is the market?

24. Indianapolis - ditto

1. Tamp Bay

2. Carolina

3. Minnesota

whats with all this "outside the conference" non-sense? Its doesnt matter the NYJ arent superbowl contenders, they will trade him to anyone not named NEPats.

Now what is the market?

24. Indianapolis - ditto

1. Tamp Bay

2. Carolina

3. Minnesota

whats with all this "outside the conference" non-sense? Its doesnt matter the NYJ arent superbowl contenders, they will trade him to anyone not named NEPats.
What the hell is the matter with you?I did the heavy lifting so fill in the gaps with the AFC teams.

Not SD and I still don't think they trade him inside their division to Miami since they'd face him twice evey year and have to deal with the media so no. Not Pittsburgh and not Nati so basically you can do the homework on both Baltimore and Indy and see if that fits but IMHO if its down to BAL and IND on one side and NFC teams on the other then the Jets go outside the conference but YMMV.

24. Indianapolis - ditto

To keep it a tad more open, these are the ones I like. I like Chicago and Minny, because both squads need a "good" third CB (obviously it would be one of their current starters moving to the nickel role) to combat the aerial attack of Green Bay. They will likely be in nickel against them the majority of the time, and if one of those corners gets hurt, they need two good guys at a minimum. I like Tampa and Carolina for the same reason when considering New orleans. While St. Louis does not have quite the air-attack to deal with in their conference with Kaepernick and Wilson, both guys can sling it and that is FOUR games right there where they could use a good third corner. If AZ can get something going with Fitz/Roberts/Floyd, they can also warrant the need for more CBs.ETA: San Diego - While they likely could be a consistent wild card team, they have no shot at the divisional title as long as Manning is in Denver without 3 competent CBs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Add in the dynamic of a new GM and it gets interesting. The Jets asking price, Revis' new contract, the receiving team's available cap space are a lot of pieces that need to fit.

'Sweet Love said:
To keep it a tad more open, these are the ones I like. I like Chicago and Minny, because both squads need a "good" third CB (obviously it would be one of their current starters moving to the nickel role) to combat the aerial attack of Green Bay. They will likely be in nickel against them the majority of the time, and if one of those corners gets hurt, they need two good guys at a minimum. I like Tampa and Carolina for the same reason when considering New orleans. While St. Louis does not have quite the air-attack to deal with in their conference with Kaepernick and Wilson, both guys can sling it and that is FOUR games right there where they could use a good third corner. If AZ can get something going with Fitz/Roberts/Floyd, they can also warrant the need for more CBs.ETA: San Diego - While they likely could be a consistent wild card team, they have no shot at the divisional title as long as Manning is in Denver without 3 competent CBs.
I'm not trying to limit the possibilities I was looking for the most realistic trading partners but going along your line of opening things up more how about this one?KC is picking first and their doesn't appear to be a QB worthy of that pick and the top rated guy I've seen at this point, OT Luke Joeckel isn't the highest need on that team since they have Albert and he's done pretty good.How about a trade-down with the Jets where KC would give up the top pick and move down to 9th spot in the first round and then KC would give up their second round selection and possibly a player for Revis?They gave up a lot of points and have one very good starting CB in Brandon Flowers. I actually think a stud shut-down CB like Revis could push that D over the top and if they were picking at 9 I think they could take a shot at a QB there. The Jets could go any number of ways with the top pick and they could really help themselves with an additional top pick in the second round.When looking at that top pick with KC it seems they are stuck where no QB appears to warrant that selection and the top rated guy right now, OT Luke Joeckel, is at a position they are solid at right now so I think it opens up the possibility of a trade-down. Outside the box so its unlikely but it makes sense on a few levels and opens up the field more and qualifies as a good fit.

Bracie- Albert is a FA in March, so that muddies up the water. Let him go, take Joeckel and spend the $ for other positions? Does not make sense to keep Albert and move him to G and take Joeckel. They probably need an impact DE on that side than a CB.

Reading strong indicators kc wants Tyler Wilson. Likely means ot will have to be fixed via veterans.

Too many of these trades ideas in this post sound like something people did on Madden to stack their teams. In true value Revis is worth a first and then some, but in NFL value he is a great corner coming off knee surgery, with a one year contract and a history of holding out until he gets what he wants. The Jets would be lucky to get a second round pick. My guess is they get a third round pick, or a conditional pick where they get a 3rd if he plays more than so many games or if he resigns and if he doesn't they get a fourth rounder.

I hope he goes nowhere, he's been awesome to watch game in and game out and I really want the new gm to work out a long term contract, i can only imagine the lack of a franchise tag is the reason for this rumor...Another fine job by Tanny

I hope he goes nowhere, he's been awesome to watch game in and game out and I really want the new gm to work out a long term contract, i can only imagine the lack of a franchise tag is the reason for this rumor...Another fine job by Tanny
Tanny takes a lot of heat, but Rex had just as much input on these decisions as Tanny. And while you could say "Tannenbaum was the GM, it's his call", that's fine, but the fact is the Jets were in a narrow window and Tannenbaum mortgaged the future to try to win a Super Bowl. That's a defensible strategy, and perhaps Rex failed the team by not getting them there. The Jets made back to back AFCCGs but couldn't get over the hump (the one obvious place to blame Tannenbaum is the Sanchez pick). But trader Mike brought in people like Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, Harris, and put the Jets in position to go to a SB. It ended up not working out.With Revis, they basically won the holdout with him but the concession was made that they wouldn't franchise him if he reported in '10. Again, they nearly made the SB, so I can't say that was a bad move. And Houston lost Mario Williams and Chicago lost Peppers for nothing, so this sort of stuff happens.I think the Jets are just as likely to trade Cromartie as they are Revis. But the big thing is the Jets need to trade someone. They have way too many holes to fill without stacking the deck. This is a two-year rebuilding project, at a minimum.When you think to 2014, the Jets have only four players that I would say are more likely than not to be starters/key contributors: Mangold, Ferguson, Hill, and Kerley. That's it. On defense, it's just as bleak: Coples, Wilkerson, and Harris (if he isn't cut). Sure, a bunch of teams live year to year, but on the Jets, the cupboard is just really bare. They need draft picks because they sure haven't developed the ones they've made. Had players like Ducasse, Ellis, Kyle Wilson, Sanchez, and any of the running backs they've drafted worked out, the situation wouldn't be so bad. But considering the huge hole at quarterback and everywhere else, I can't really argue against trading Revis or Cromartie.

Tanny takes a lot of heat, but Rex had just as much input on these decisions as Tanny. And while you could say "Tannenbaum was the GM, it's his call", that's fine, but the fact is the Jets were in a narrow window and Tannenbaum mortgaged the future to try to win a Super Bowl. That's a defensible strategy, and perhaps Rex failed the team by not getting them there. The Jets made back to back AFCCGs but couldn't get over the hump (the one obvious place to blame Tannenbaum is the Sanchez pick). But trader Mike brought in people like Cromartie, Holmes, Revis, Harris, and put the Jets in position to go to a SB. It ended up not working out.With Revis, they basically won the holdout with him but the concession was made that they wouldn't franchise him if he reported in '10. Again, they nearly made the SB, so I can't say that was a bad move. And Houston lost Mario Williams and Chicago lost Peppers for nothing, so this sort of stuff happens.I think the Jets are just as likely to trade Cromartie as they are Revis. But the big thing is the Jets need to trade someone. They have way too many holes to fill without stacking the deck. This is a two-year rebuilding project, at a minimum.When you think to 2014, the Jets have only four players that I would say are more likely than not to be starters/key contributors: Mangold, Ferguson, Hill, and Kerley. That's it. On defense, it's just as bleak: Coples, Wilkerson, and Harris (if he isn't cut). Sure, a bunch of teams live year to year, but on the Jets, the cupboard is just really bare. They need draft picks because they sure haven't developed the ones they've made. Had players like Ducasse, Ellis, Kyle Wilson, Sanchez, and any of the running backs they've drafted worked out, the situation wouldn't be so bad. But considering the huge hole at quarterback and everywhere else, I can't really argue against trading Revis or Cromartie.
I agree the cupboard is bare, but Revis is on of the best players the franchise has had, from a pure football watching perspective, me as a Fan do not want to see this guy on another team, he is amazing to watch game in game out.I get it about the superbowl window, but as GM Tanny has used this "No Franchise" tag as a weapon of mass destruction. He used it again with Landry this off season when they signed him to a one year deal. The leverage is gone with Revis, in normal circumstances you can at least figure you can negotiate a contract or franchise him. Taking that away from the GM and teams tool aresenal was just bad football management. As much as I would like to Blame Rex for another thing, I can't pin contract strategy on him, this one is all Tanny.I hope this is a smoke screen and they choose to unload Cromartie instead based off his excellent year. Im not sure if he wouldnt bring the same amount due to the injury concerns of Revis.I know the team has a ton of work to do, but I just dont want to see this guy in another uniform.

I'm really not sure why his availability was leaked/in the news. The Jets are backed into a corner with some roster decisions and with an incoming GM, all of the leverage is on Revis's side.

well, the media is 90% anti-jet right now, so its not beyond them to "invent" a leak to create a good tabloid story...

Is anyone buying this rubbish? http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130789/article/darrelle-revisnew-york-jets-trade-talk-heating-upI seriously doubt the Packers are "highly interested" (or even remotely interested) in making a move for Revis. Hayward performed at an all-pro level last year, House was improving significantly before his injury, and Shields has been serviceable.I would be pissed if the Packers gave up a first rounder and a huge contract to bring in a guy fresh off an ACL tear. That money needs to go to locking up Matthews and an extension for Rodgers. The first round pick could be used on a cheap contract for talented young lineman, either OL or DL. The issue on the defense is still the pass rush and athletic linebackers, not coverage.

49ers are said to be suitors. Perhaps their #1 and Alex Smith for Revis?

According to Rotoworld, the Pats, Broncos, 49er's, Seahawks, Packers & Bills are all early suitors in what is shaping up to be "one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever".

So if that's true, looks like I was right in that he'd land with a contender and WAY off on what kind of interest he'd get coming off the ACL. Should be interesting to see what happens. Biggest story of the offseason hands down.

According to Rotoworld, the Pats, Broncos, 49er's, Seahawks, Packers & Bills are all early suitors in what is shaping up to be "one of the biggest potential trade markets for a player ever".

So if that's true, looks like I was right in that he'd land with a contender and WAY off on what kind of interest he'd get coming off the ACL. Should be interesting to see what happens. Biggest story of the offseason hands down.
Rubbish. They're just trying to drum up interest to raise the asking price. I still contend that not one of those teams will give up a first-round pick AND a huge contract for him. Certainly not the Packers.

'netnalp said:
$9ers are said to be suitors. Perhaps their #1 and Alex Smith for Revis?
Oooh I like this. But who's the odd man out - Brown, Rogers or Culliver?

'netnalp said:
$9ers are said to be suitors. Perhaps their #1 and Alex Smith for Revis?
Oooh I like this. But who's the odd man out - Brown, Rogers or Culliver?
I'd think Rogers. He'll be 32 in July. Revis turns 28 in July. Rogers has some trade value still if not cut. Gaining Revis and losing Smith and Rogers looks like it would free up $1 million in cap for the 49ers.

I don't understand all the negativity toward Revis. What 2 rookies would you rather have? I would be thrilled if my team spent a first and a pricey contract to bring him in.

According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.

Speculation with Denver media that Denver might give up Dumervil for Revis. Seems like a relatively fair deal
7/22/2010: Signed a six-year, $61.5 million contract. The deal contains $43.156 million guaranteed, including a $3 million signing bonus and Dumervil's first, second, and third years' base salaries. 2013: $12 million,

I don't understand all the negativity toward Revis. What 2 rookies would you rather have? I would be thrilled if my team spent a first and a pricey contract to bring him in.
There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.

Users who are viewing this thread