What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

★ Darrelle Revis - Released by Jets. Soon to be Safety? (1 Viewer)

I don't understand all the negativity toward Revis. What 2 rookies would you rather have? I would be thrilled if my team spent a first and a pricey contract to bring him in.
There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
Many teams are in a very good cap situation. I don't know how fans don't understand that using that cap space for an elite player of Revis' caliber is necessary to build a great team. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.

According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.
He's nuts. I could see him fetching $45 or $50 mil in guaranteed money, but $60 is crazy coming off knee surgery. There would only be a handful of teams who could realistically even pursue him at that price.

I don't understand all the negativity toward Revis. What 2 rookies would you rather have? I would be thrilled if my team spent a first and a pricey contract to bring him in.
There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.

I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
Many teams are in a very good cap situation. I don't know how fans don't understand that using that cap space for an elite player of Revis' caliber is necessary to build a great team. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
The Pats have been to 5 super bowls over the past 10 years. What's the biggest free agent signing they have had? I doubt it is 20% of the number Revis is requesting.The 49ers are one of the (if not the single) best all-around team in the league. How many massive free agent signings have they done in the past five years?

Your argument is grossly incorrect. I would venture to say that it is MORE likely a team will NOT win consistently and will have trouble with the cap making moves like that. Look at Buffalo's situation this year. Look at what Haynesworth did to the Skins. For every time it works out there are three that don't work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.

I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
The Pats have been to 5 super bowls over the past 10 years. What's the biggest free agent signing they have had? I doubt it is 20% of the number Revis is requesting.
I'll say adalius thomas.eta contract details

On March 3, 2007, Thomas signed a 5-year contract with the New England Patriots worth $35 million, including $20 million in guaranteed money.

It doesn't matter how good Revis is. If he's not on the field from holding out every other year, he's on the sideline from injuries due to holding out. No way is he worth even a fraction of his asking price. Whoever ends up with him, will be regretting it.

'meyerj31 said:
'LuckyOne said:

The Pats have been to 5 super bowls over the past 10 years. What's the biggest free agent signing they have had? I doubt it is 20% of the number Revis is requesting.The 49ers are one of the (if not the single) best all-around team in the league. How many massive free agent signings have they done in the past five years?

Your argument is grossly incorrect. I would venture to say that it is MORE likely a team will NOT win consistently and will have trouble with the cap making moves like that. Look at Buffalo's situation this year. Look at what Haynesworth did to the Skins. For every time it works out there are three that don't work out.
How about a more recent example of a SB winning team. The Giants basically gave the world (in picks & salary) to get Eli (an unproven rookie). By your logic, they should have have been frugal and stayed put. Instead, this storied franchise paid to get the guy that got them two trophies. Fact is teams need free agents and solid drafts to compete. GMs know that, which is why some team will pay to have Revis as a franchise player.

'LuckyOne said:
There's no value in doing that. The salary cap is all about value.Taking the chances on one of the 32 most talented individuals in college (and really, the first round has a low complete bust rate) where you get a top player for $1-2M per year is a way better value than trading that pick for Revis and paying him $60M guaranteed. Even if he's 100% health that's not a good move. It's asinine with him coming off a major injury.I don't get how fans don't understand the salary cap and implications. Even people on so called "pro" boards don't get it.
You're obviously the one who doesn't get it.You're the guy in my keeper league who kept Jamaal Charles at $65 this past offseason when he could have re-drafted him for less, aren't you? :lmao:It's all about getting a competitive advantage in the Salary Cap era, and paying top dollar/full value for a stud CB is only going to help so much. Most teams recognize that there's far better value and benefit for their team if they can buy low or draft a cheap rookie who can do almost as well as Revis.By your logic, Revis should cost teams 3+ 1st round picks because you're only looking at talent. Hint hint...the Jets would be asking for far less than that because they realize there's little or no value in trading for Revis and the mammoth contract he'll tie his new team into for years after coming off major surgery.This isn't Baseball, guy.

Yes - using a trade of first rounders as example in a free agency discussion is somewhat stupid and fairly pointless.Do you have something relevant to add?

'cobalt_27 said:
The only question I have in this thread is...how do you do that STAR thingy in the title? That's super cool.
Easy. Go back to this thread and cut and paste the ★ from it :) -QG

I'm just jumping in here and haven't read the whole thread, but remember when the Vikes traded their 1st for Jared Allen? Worked out pretty well I think. Would they have gotten anyone near the caliber of player had they kept the pick?

Deion to SF in '94 worked out pretty well. He put that defense over the top. Revis could have the same impact, but coming off the injury puts some risk in it.

I'm just jumping in here and haven't read the whole thread, but remember when the Vikes traded their 1st for Jared Allen? Worked out pretty well I think. Would they have gotten anyone near the caliber of player had they kept the pick?
Sure...worked out well.But...then again, how many titles has it won them?They got "semi" close one time.

Sure...worked out well.But...then again, how many titles has it won them?

They got "semi" close one time.
It got them a lot further than drafting Derrick Morgan. I think it is ignorant to measure every team move in SB titles.

Deion to SF in '94 worked out pretty well. He put that defense over the top. Revis could have the same impact, but coming off the injury puts some risk in it.
some team should give up their first so revis can play there for one year?

Tim McDonald, the 49er safety who was one of three players who agreed to renegotiated contracts so Sanders' approximately $1.2-million deal could fit under the salary cap, was excited.

:lmao: :lmao:

this place is really terrible

this is the only relevant comparison so far -- so congrats on that.minny has won one playoff game in the 5 years since that trade.

Isn't the no-franchise clause only for the Jets?So 3 million cap hit this year for a team other then the Jets.

And the franchise tag for a CB is about 10.5 million for 2013.
I wouldn't have any idea, but I'd guess the contract applies to any team he's on, and what's to stop him from sitting out most of next year?(from rotoworld)

The contract stipulates that Revis cannot be franchise tagged when his deal voids following the 2013 season. 2013: $3 million (+ $1 million workout bonus + $1 million roster bonus due 3/16 + $1 million reporting bonus)

I've got a comparison that is far from perfect, but still about 10x more relevant than deion sanders or eli manning.

the pats were a pretty good team this past season -- they won 12 games and were looking for help in the secondary to make a superbowl run, so they decided to rent a corner for the remainder of the season.

this is about the situation any team trading for revis would be in, unless they planned on signing him long term to one of the biggest contracts ever for a defensive player.

aqib talib isn't revis, but the pats gave up a 4th for him, and only had to pay him less than a million.

that said, the eagles signed asomugha to this contract

7/29/2011: Signed a five-year, $60 million contract. The deal contains $25 million guaranteed -- all of Asomugha's 2011-2012 salaries and $4 million of his 2013 salary. 2013: $15 million, 2014-2015: $12 million

how'd that work out?

this is the only relevant comparison so far -- so congrats on that.minny has won one playoff game in the 5 years since that trade.
Definitely wasn't a good trade. KC is doing much better with the Vikings draft picks. Moreover, Denver shouldn't have traded Tim Tebow since they haven't won a playoff game without him.

Definitely wasn't a good trade. KC is doing much better with the Vikings draft picks. Moreover, Denver shouldn't have traded Tim Tebow since they haven't won a playoff game without him.
haha....funny, but completely irrelevant.

Vikings traded for a player that hasn't missed a game in 5 years and has 74 sacks in 80 games but only Super Bowl wins matter. Right?

Vikings traded for a player that hasn't missed a game in 5 years and has 74 sacks in 80 games but only Super Bowl wins matter. Right?
In return, the Chiefs drafted Brandon Albert, Jamaal Charles and DaJuan Morgan. I'd call the trade win-win.

playoff wins are not bad --- how many did they produce in the last 5 years?

How many times has he held out? Twice?
Once while negotiating his rookie contract (the big issue was number of years. I believe the Jets wanted more) and then the big holdout before the 2010 season. He also hinted about it before this season, but didn't.for me the first hold out means nothing. Before the days of the rookie cap, tons of guys held out. The 2010 holdout was pretty lame, but only because he had 3 full years left on his deal. If he had waited another year (easy for me to say since its not my body on the line) I think the court of public opinion would have been a little more in his favor.

Per mike Greenberg, apparently he sat next to Schefter on the plane to New Orleans and Schefter is of the opinion revis is a jet next year. Cited cap hit plus qb contract revis is looking to get.

It got them a lot further than drafting Derrick Morgan. I think it is ignorant to measure every team move in SB titles.
Sure...but the discussion was about what the great teams have done to improve and how rarely its because of a big free agent signing.So I think the team's success is very much relevant to the discussion when talking about if it was worth the signing.

The deal worked out for the Vikings for sure...but obviously a big signing like that is not the end all be all of building a team.

And plenty of teams have won recently without these big moves.

In return, the Chiefs drafted Brandon Albert, Jamaal Charles and DaJuan Morgan. I'd call the trade win-win.
man if the Chiefs could only firgure out how to pick with their non-vikings draft picks

Sure...but the discussion was about what the great teams have done to improve and how rarely its because of a big free agent signing.So I think the team's success is very much relevant to the discussion when talking about if it was worth the signing.

The deal worked out for the Vikings for sure...but obviously a big signing like that is not the end all be all of building a team.

You should remember what Reggie White signing did for the Packers organization. http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1953661

'What many have forgotten, perhaps, is how low the Packers had stooped before White arrived on the scene.

Over 25 seasons after Vince Lombardi had resigned as coach following Super Bowl II, the Packers had enjoyed only six winning seasons. They had reached the playoffs only twice and had won only one playoff game.
No regrets on the Jared Allen deal either. I know that the Vikings organization didn't have all the other pieces in place to win consistently but he was worth the price we paid.

'BigSteelThrill said:
'Kool-Aid Larry said:
Isn't the no-franchise clause only for the Jets? <-------So 3 million cap hit this year for a team other then the Jets.And the franchise tag for a CB is about 10.5 million for 2013.
It would be absolutely stupifying if that was the case.-QG

'Donnybrook said:
'sho nuff said:
'Donnybrook said:
'sho nuff said:
'Mr. Peterson said:

You should remember what Reggie White signing did for the Packers organization. http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=1953661

'What many have forgotten, perhaps, is how low the Packers had stooped before White arrived on the scene.

Over 25 seasons after Vince Lombardi had resigned as coach following Super Bowl II, the Packers had enjoyed only six winning seasons. They had reached the playoffs only twice and had won only one playoff game.
No regrets on the Jared Allen deal either. I know that the Vikings organization didn't have all the other pieces in place to win consistently but he was worth the price we paid.
which side of this are you arguing, or are you just arguing to argue?some guy, earlier in this thread, voiced the opinion that signing these guys to monster contracts is not a good way to build a team as it makes it difficult to get the other pieces in place due to the salary cap (see also: new york jets).

he cited examples of teams that have been successful by doing basically the opposite, so of course someone has to argue and a few random nonsensical examples get thrown out there until we get to jared allen and your OMGGTFO 74 SACKS111, which isn't any measure of team success ---- but that's because they can't get the other pieces in place.

and, oh yeah, there was this one guy 30 yrs ago who signed before the salary cap existed blahblahblah.......

I didn't want to nitpick the jared allen example, as I was so happy to see somebody making an effort after the eli manning thing, but it's only even loosely comparable.

jared allen is not coming off the surgery revis is, and he's an end, not a corner.

average salary for the top 5 highest paid ends last year was 140% the average for top 5 corners, which shows you how the league values those 2 positions, and the team still only managed one playoff win in 5 yrs.

again, this isn't really comparable because of position, but how does everyone pass up peyton manning when he's right in your face to go back for eli manning and deion sanders? :lmao:

'Wadsworth said:
According to ESPN New York, Darrelle Revis is "believed" to be seeking $16 million annually and $60 million guaranteed on his next contract.
He's nuts. I could see him fetching $45 or $50 mil in guaranteed money, but $60 is crazy coming off knee surgery. There would only be a handful of teams who could realistically even pursue him at that price.
He only needs one team.
Unlikely. He'll need two teams to get that money

'Donnybrook said:
'sho nuff said:
'Donnybrook said:
'sho nuff said:
'Mr. Peterson said:

Well...the conversation again was about working in such signings with the cap.The Cap started in 1994.

White was signed in 1993.

And to attribute the success of the Packers just to White is foolish. Just as it is foolish to attribute all the success to Favre.

It was a combo of those two, the workings of Ron Wolf and coaching of Holmgren that returned them to being one of the top teams.

And knowing how to work the cap well is what had Wolf continuing to field contenders (and why Sherman sucked balls as a GM and why Thompson again has done well).

You're obviously the one who doesn't get it.You're the guy in my keeper league who kept Jamaal Charles at $65 this past offseason when he could have re-drafted him for less, aren't you? :lmao:It's all about getting a competitive advantage in the Salary Cap era, and paying top dollar/full value for a stud CB is only going to help so much. Most teams recognize that there's far better value and benefit for their team if they can buy low or draft a cheap rookie who can do almost as well as Revis.By your logic, Revis should cost teams 3+ 1st round picks because you're only looking at talent. Hint hint...the Jets would be asking for far less than that because they realize there's little or no value in trading for Revis and the mammoth contract he'll tie his new team into for years after coming off major surgery.This isn't Baseball, guy.
I neither kept Charles and any league or play in any league you are in. Also, we're discussing real football not fantasy.Teams constantly rework contracts to keep their best players. Trading for a player is no different with the exception of the picks added. As long as the value of the player exceeds the contract cost and the pick(s), the team should make the trade. It's likely the team trading for Revis will either trade a low pick or rework the contract as part of the trade to make the value of having Revis exceed what they give to get him. BTW, it's highly unlikely that any rookie CB is going to perform nearly as well as Revis. ACL tears aren't what they were even a few years ago. Medicine in many areas is advancing at a termendous pace. Try to keep up.I simply missed that we were talking about football not baseball. You are very quick witted. How do you do that?

So, Revis has a waiver in his contract for a franchise tag which is transferable to any team that trades for him. Any team that acquires Revis will either have him for 2013 and lose him to free agency, or they'll have to come to terms with Revis on a longer term deal of their own. Like the Jets, they will not be able to tender Revis.

Combining having to resign him and trading a likely first rounder for him is way too expensive IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread