What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ EPL 2020-21 Fantasy League ⚽ ​ Congrats McBokononon on the title! (2 Viewers)

Just as a reminder, the teams that had European league games are likely to not have EPL games the first week, or so.  Long-term that won't matter, but just wanted everyone to be aware.

Also, while the Premier League has not released schedules yet - I did read about a potential quirk - Week 18 is going to take place on consecutive mid-weeks (1/2 teams play on each mid-week).  Ordinarily, that is not really an issue.  The issue is that week 19 will take place on the weekend between those mid-week games.

That is going to be challenging to manage - but I will try and see how Fantrax is handling it by default, and also how the Official PL fantasy game is handling it - and we can make decisions from there.

Last Call:  @Kumerica

Or - if @Drunken knight is still interested.

First come, first served.

I think the goal is to start Drafting on Monday - I'll post the die-rolling link later today.
Easy solution, I'll quit and you guys roll with 12.  If that's cool, I would appreciate it.  A fantasy league shouldn't stress me out, and I've just got way too much going on right now.  

Easy solution, I'll quit and you guys roll with 12.  If that's cool, I would appreciate it.  A fantasy league shouldn't stress me out, and I've just got way too much going on right now.  
That's up to you, personally, I would love it if you stayed.  You beat me in the official fantasy league, so I want a chance at a little revenge.

And, this is really not a high-stress league at all.  last year was the most competitive, top-to-bottom that I recall, but I enjoy it.

Ok - assuming @shader is still in - we are a go at 14 teams.

This is the link to use for the die roll

It is somewhat fool proof - but check anyway.

It is pre-set to roll:

One 1000-sided die, 1 time.

You need to add your email addy - if you don't add your email, it will not send the result to me, and you'll have to do it over.

Also - add FBG username to the subject box - so I know how to credit each result.

I will send my results to Gator.  No, wait, that won't do.  I'll send my results to Christo.

This year, we will go from Highest to Lowest in terms of draft order (i.e. highest number gets first pick De Bruyne, lowest number picks 14)

Assuming we get all the dice cast this weekend, I would expect to start the draft on Monday ~ noonish ET.

A few reminders:

1.  There is no draft clock.  Some people will pick faster than other people.  I think we are in all the time zones, and people have things to do, even in a pandemic.  Be patient.

2.  Draft is always faster during the week, than on the weekend - plan accordingly.  (Nobody wants to give up free time, when they can give up work time instead)

3.  We typically get through about a round per day - admittedly a little faster in the early rounds when everyone still knows the names of the players being drafted.  But, we should be done in plenty of time for the season.

4.  Any player in the world is eligible to be drafted.  Only players in the PL score points.  (Transfer deadline this year extends to Early October - so players will be coming and going after the season starts). When you draft a non-league player - I will assign a random player to be a placeholder on your roster.  If your player signs, I will manually swap them out.  If you eventually decide to cut bait, just cut the placeholder.

5.  As in year's past, I will create a google spreadsheet to track the draft - I do a reasonable job of keeping that current.  I also will be adding players to the actual league site, but that is slightly more time consuming, and is not always as up-to-date as the spreadsheet.  I'll also keep a running list at the top of this thread - but that is just cut and paste from the spreadsheet.

Given the lack of objections - we are going to try the new scoring format this season.

The league is currently set-up with that scoring, so you can look at the player lists to get an understanding of how they ranked last year.

Many of the fantrax articles that "rank" players (now and during the year) use this scoring as their base.

Also - for the new players (and old forgetful players):

We will draft 16 rounds in a snake draft.

Round 17 is usually a 48-hour first-come, first served round.   Expect the same this year.  

Waivers will be set in reverse order of the draft, and as you make a pick, you move to the back of the list.

RPG Library Secure Dice generated the following rolls for mrl171 at live dot com.

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 582
Roll subtotal: 582
Roll total: 582

1d1000, rolled  once.

Roll set 1
        Die rolls: 658
        Roll subtotal: 658
        Roll total: 658

The Gator said:
Ok - assuming @shader is still in - we are a go at 14 teams.

This is the link to use for the die roll

It is somewhat fool proof - but check anyway.

It is pre-set to roll:

One 1000-sided die, 1 time.

You need to add your email addy - if you don't add your email, it will not send the result to me, and you'll have to do it over.

Also - add FBG username to the subject box - so I know how to credit each result.

I will send my results to Gator.  No, wait, that won't do.  I'll send my results to Christo.

This year, we will go from Highest to Lowest in terms of draft order (i.e. highest number gets first pick De Bruyne, lowest number picks 14)
@Moe.

@TLEF316

@shader

@Kumerica

@drunken slob

@Poke_4_Life

@Ned

Sorry, first time doing this. Can I roll the die whenever or is there an order?

Edit to add:

Whatevs. Die rolled.

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 813
Roll subtotal: 813
Roll total: 813

Last edited by a moderator:
well at least I wont have to pick Christian Eriksen (or the equivalent) this year....

1d1000, rolled once.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 807
Roll subtotal: 807
Roll total: 807

The league is coming back to us a lot of high numbers being rolled - I was not liking a potential 6-8 pick, but if we can hang on for a 10-11 pick, we'll still get good value in round 1, plus the benefit of a decent turn.
Between staying in the two hole ( :bowtie: ) or going to sixth, I would much rather have sixth pick over the second.

ETA: Just saw @TLEF316 roll, thanks for nothing pal (lol)

Between staying in the two hole ( :bowtie: ) or going to sixth, I would much rather have sixth pick over the second
I think I would rather have 2nd pick - still a little gap between 2 and 6, imo, not much - but the real value, I think is having a bit of clarity on the turn so that the 2nd round-3rd round picks, are better from the 2 spot, than the 6 spot.

I think I would rather have 2nd pick - still a little gap between 2 and 6, imo, not much - but the real value, I think is having a bit of clarity on the turn so that the 2nd round-3rd round picks, are better from the 2 spot, than the 6 spot.
In a ten or twelve team format I agree. Fourteen or more, I like being in the six through eight spot for the purpose of seeing runs. That opinion is based off of magic football drafts though. This is whole different animal and I just had to remind myself of that fact. 

Curiosity got the better of me:

2019 (12 teams) 💰: Draft spots 4, 5, 6, 11 (not in that order)

2018 (14 teams): 1, 8, 9, 13

2017 (14 teams): 1, 4, 6, 8

2016 (14 teams): 3, 5, 6, 11

2015 (14 teams): 1, 3, 6, 11

2014 (14 teams): 2, 4, 6, 14

So, maybe you do want the 6th spot :oldunsure:

1d1000, rolled  once.

Roll set 1
        Die rolls: 224
        Roll subtotal: 224
        Roll total: 224

I said I'd play, and I don't want to slow you guys down.  I'll do everything I can to keep up.  But over the next 3 weeks if anyone asks whether there is an open spot, please let me know, and I'll gladly give it to them.  I'll definitely draft them a good team, but I know my workload will just be too high to keep up over 38 games, especially considering how much time I put into the official game :lmao:

I really gotta dive into the scoring system.  Jack Grealish 4th highest scoring player??  Crazy.

I guess I'm not understanding this scoring system. I can believe DeBruyne was the most valuable player in the league. But not by that much. Another one that sticks out to me is Mahrez. He only started 21 games but he was the 10th highest scorer? Using his last game as an example of why I'm baffled, he didn't start, he only played 45 minutes, he scored a goal (4 points for forwards), but he ended up getting 18.5 points. The only other stat I see for him is 2 SOG but those are only worth another 4 points. HTH did he manage to rack up another 10.5 points?

I guess I'm not understanding this scoring system. I can believe DeBruyne was the most valuable player in the league. But not by that much. Another one that sticks out to me is Mahrez. He only started 21 games but he was the 10th highest scorer? Using his last game as an example of why I'm baffled, he didn't start, he only played 45 minutes, he scored a goal (4 points for forwards), but he ended up getting 18.5 points. The only other stat I see for him is 2 SOG but those are only worth another 4 points. HTH did he manage to rack up another 10.5 points?
Goals are 9 points for forwards

Mahrez

1 goal - 9

1 key pass - 2

1 Assist - 6

2 SOT - 4

1 tackle - 1

1 dispossessed - (-0.5)

2 dribbles - 2

23.5 points

I had to fix an over-ride from last season that changed F goals to 4 - they are now 9, and should impact the scoring accordingly. 

Mea Culpa.

So if you click on a player for his card to show up, for example in this case Mahrez, and then click the Games (Fntsy) tab, you will see for this 5-0 vs NOR he gets 1(*9) goal, + 1(*2) key pass + 1(*6) total assists + 2(*2) shots on goal + 1(*1) tackle won + 1(*-0.5) dispossession + 2(*1) CoS or dribbles. for 9+2+6+4+1-0.5+2 = 23.5.

Its probably also worth pointing out - that with the additional scoring categories - there will be a higher variance game-to-game.

Using De Bruyne as an example - in the last 5 games of the season, he had a 53 point game and a 4 point game (did not start but he also had a few 6-7 point games that he did start earlier in the season).

Over the course of your team, I would expect that to even out each week - some guys will play well, some guys won't - I am thinking the average score each week will be in the 100-125 range - compared to the 30 or so we have been used to seeing as an "average" score.

Most players probably will not be worth starting if they are on the bench in real-life, but a few key attacking players may be worth the gamble (high end guys that you will draft), if you think they are likely to come on as a sub after 60 minutes.

There are no free points here for starting or simply playing in a game.

So if you click on a player for his card to show up, for example in this case Mahrez, and then click the Games (Fntsy) tab, you will see for this 5-0 vs NOR he gets 1(*9) goal, + 1(*2) key pass + 1(*6) total assists + 2(*2) shots on goal + 1(*1) tackle won + 1(*-0.5) dispossession + 2(*1) CoS or dribbles. for 9+2+6+4+1-0.5+2 = 23.5.
Okay, I was looking at Stats not Games (Fntsy).

Still think we should wait till 8/24 to start.
Meh.  Players start reporting for pre-season on Monday - at least for the losers that stopped playing 3 weeks ago.

I'd rather get started, and not push for a speedy draft.

I am not expecting any big late transfers - except maybe Sancho to United.  Chelsea have already spent money.  Nobody else really has any money to spend on big name players.

But, if we get a consensus to wait a few days, I am not going to object.

Users who are viewing this thread