What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (5 Viewers)

Poke_4_Life said:
FotMob write up noted Lingard as United's best player. 

(I was working andhave yet to watch the game.)
Yeah, I though Lingard was quality today. Lukaku should have scored and cost them a chance to win. If he nets that first chance, it's a completely different game.

Yeah, I though Lingard was quality today. Lukaku should have scored and cost them a chance to win. If he nets that first chance, it's a completely different game.
 In the first half Lingard started several Spurs counters so I am not sure how he was United's best player. His decision making again was suspect.  Passing wide instead of shooting from the top of the box.  Heading the ball into the box instead of shooting with a free volley, again from the top center of the box.

Again this is the problem.  He doesn't run smart, has no vision and is constantly out of position or in someone else's way.  He has a good attitude and runs a lot. So he gets high marks.

And I agree with the bold.  Lukaku scoring the sitter completely changes the game and keeps United on the front foot. Tott with a bad back pass sets him up.  He also had a free shot at the near post and a good chance on the header.  Score any of them and its a different game.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
I actually thought Smalling was OK until he let Lucas in for the 3rd goal.  What's the current thinking as far as he goes?

The whole team just looks bad.  Can't hang onto the ball to save their lives.  And if you didn't already know Pogba, Lukaku and Alexis were ~top-tier players you'd never figure it out watching them play for United.
Smalling was responsible for 2 goals.  Why in the hell is he playing for offside not knowing where the rest of his def is?  ESP when you have Herrera playing beside you holding everyone on.  He has regressed since his best year under LVG.  He and Jones need to go.

Bailley, despite a bad game last week is their top defender and can be one of the best in the EPL.  He needs to stay inj free and be allowed to play.  I like Lindelof, but he may be best suited as a 3rd choice behind another top guy.  They needed 1, bought 0.

Jones plays more then 30 mins you are tempting the injury fate.  He went an hour and came off injured.  surprising to no one.

Smalling was responsible for 2 goals.  Why in the hell is he playing for offside not knowing where the rest of his def is?  ESP when you have Herrera playing beside you holding everyone on.  He has regressed since his best year under LVG.  He and Jones need to go.

Bailley, despite a bad game last week is their top defender and can be one of the best in the EPL.  He needs to stay inj free and be allowed to play.  I like Lindelof, but he may be best suited as a 3rd choice behind another top guy.  They needed 1, bought 0.

Jones plays more then 30 mins you are tempting the injury fate.  He went an hour and came off injured.  surprising to no one.
Herrera was completely out of his element as a CB. That's fully on Jose for putting him there. 

Herrera was completely out of his element as a CB. That's fully on Jose for putting him there. 
:goodposting:

Rumors before the game was that Matic would be in the back 3.  Not sure how or why Herrera was there.  Jose put them in a bad position and smalling made it worse by not understanding who was with him and blindly stepping up.

The Gator said:
Just spent 50m on Bailey and Lindlof last year?
I think Bailiy was two years ago but definitely a lot spent.  He's also not patient and allow those two to form a partnership.  Personally I would get rid of Jones, bring in another CB to partner Bailiy and hope he stays healthy.  Lindelof I'm not sold on.

:goodposting:

Rumors before the game was that Matic would be in the back 3.  Not sure how or why Herrera was there.  Jose put them in a bad position and smalling made it worse by not understanding who was with him and blindly stepping up.
It's funny but I watched a few minutes of the halftime discussion and they were implying it worked great.  The game was about poor finishing by United and really poor CB play.  I thought they looked pretty good in the first half but the goal deflated them.  It's a broken record but I don't think the players want to play for this guy any more - after they went down that goal it seemed like it was only going one way.

I will say this - Jose is good enough and stubborn enough to right the ship enough to make top 4 but that's the ceiling this year and no supporters are happy with that.  If Zidane would take the job and they agree to it then go ahead and make the move or at least push Jose out now.  They can absorb missing top-4 financially so make the call now and see if you get lucky.

It's funny but I watched a few minutes of the halftime discussion and they were implying it worked great.  The game was about poor finishing by United and really poor CB play.  I thought they looked pretty good in the first half but the goal deflated them.  It's a broken record but I don't think the players want to play for this guy any more - after they went down that goal it seemed like it was only going one way.

I will say this - Jose is good enough and stubborn enough to right the ship enough to make top 4 but that's the ceiling this year and no supporters are happy with that.  If Zidane would take the job and they agree to it then go ahead and make the move or at least push Jose out now.  They can absorb missing top-4 financially so make the call now and see if you get lucky.
The first half wasn't bad.  Higher pressure, some better pacing and missed chances.  Had any gone in and United might have been flying.  But as in any game, missed chances come back to bite.  Kane scores, then they get down and another goal goes in.  Was over then.

Jose from Inter/1st Chelsea/RM can prob right the ship and get them back on track.  2nd Chelsea/United Jose I am not sure about.  And who knows if Zidane can. Or any other manager for that matter.  They have the talent but there is something missing.

Not to lose sight of the most important match of the day - South Korea just scored in Extra Time to lead Japan 1-0 in Asia Games.  

Still another 25+ minutes to go though...

Jordan Henderson is gonna be an issue for Klopp. He’s just not very good and expects to be a starter.  Can’t believe he got the start over Keita.  That should never happen again, especially on a full week of rest 

Users who are viewing this thread