What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (4 Viewers)

So I thought Liverpool had no shot, but this battle for the 4th spot just got crazy interesting.

Chelsea at 51 and Liverpool/Tottenham at 49 all with 30 games played. Plus, West Ham on 49 with a game in hand and Everton on 46 with 2 games in hand. 

Legit 5 teams essentially within 2-3 points of each other for one spot. Leicester at 56 I think is pretty safe barring an epic Liverpoolian collapse over the last 8 games.

Of note, I think Liverpool has the easiest schedule remaining with only United being a really difficult matchup.

Tottenham face City, United, Leicester, and Everton.

Chelsea has City, Leicester, West Ham, Arsenal. 

Everton with 4 tough matches.

West Ham similar to Liverpool (plus no UCL).

I haven't looked, but I would guess odds are pretty even for all those teams at this point.

So I thought Liverpool had no shot, but this battle for the 4th spot just got crazy interesting.

Chelsea at 51 and Liverpool/Tottenham at 49 all with 30 games played. Plus, West Ham on 49 with a game in hand and Everton on 46 with 2 games in hand. 

Legit 5 teams essentially within 2-3 points of each other for one spot. Leicester at 56 I think is pretty safe barring an epic Liverpoolian collapse over the last 8 games.

Of note, I think Liverpool has the easiest schedule remaining with only United being a really difficult matchup.

Tottenham face City, United, Leicester, and Everton.

Chelsea has City, Leicester, West Ham, Arsenal. 

Everton with 4 tough matches.

West Ham similar to Liverpool (plus no UCL).

I haven't looked, but I would guess odds are pretty even for all those teams at this point.
Liverpool and Chelsea are both 50/50, give or take.

Tottenham and West Ham are further back by a fair bit.  Everton are mostly out of it according to the oddsmakers.

Leicester are about 2/3 likely to hold their spot.  Arsenal are pretty much dead and buried.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Dortmund have been getting jobbed by the ref.  

1) Gives a PK for the ball hitting Rodri in the face and books Can.  VAR calls, he looks at the video and calls handball on City, no PK.  Does not take back the yellow.

2) Nice slide tackle by Dortmund, gets all ball.  City gets a free kick

3) City GK with a bad touch, Bellingham steals the ball, gets kicked by the keeper, puts the ball in the net and the ref calls a foul on Bellingham.

Should be 1-1 at HT instead of 1-0 city  

3) City GK with a bad touch, Bellingham steals the ball, gets kicked by the keeper, puts the ball in the net and the ref calls a foul on Bellingham.
And some how gave a yellow to Bellingham to boot!!

VAR screws up the game so many times and when needed it could not be used to correct this travesty.  If UEFA does not at the very least resind the yellow, that would be awful, even if it is ultimately meaningless.

https://new.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/mljwzv/ederson_challenge_vs_dortmund/

Last edited by a moderator:
And some how gave a yellow to Bellingham to boot!!

VAR screws up the game so many times and when needed it could not be used to correct this travesty.  If UEFA does not at the very least resind the yellow, that would be awful, even if it is ultimately meaningless.

https://new.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/mljwzv/ederson_challenge_vs_dortmund/

That's absolutely egregious that VAR didn't correct that.  A huge away goal taken off the board on an incorrect call.
Here's where the directions the ref follows is inconsistent.  Had he let the ball go in, then called the foul, VAR could have looked at it.  He blew the whistle before the goal so its not reviewable.

Yet they insist on letting obvious offside go 30+ yards before calling it in case the ball goes in and it can be reviewed.

I hate agreeing with Jamie Carragher but he is right about the Dortmund call and Micah Richards really is being dense.  And while Richards is asking where in the rules it says a ref should wait to blow his whistle even if he thinks its a foul, someone needed to say DELAYED OFFSIDE CALLS or even ADVANTAGE

I hate agreeing with Jamie Carragher but he is right about the Dortmund call and Micah Richards really is being dense.  And while Richards is asking where in the rules it says a ref should wait to blow his whistle even if he thinks its a foul, someone needed to say DELAYED OFFSIDE CALLS or even ADVANTAGE
To be fair - advantage is not in play here.  And when it is - the ref acknowledges the call immediately and signals he is allowing play to continue.

If the ref sees a foul - and is certain - he should blow the whistle.  Occasionally, he will get it wrong.  It happens, and has happened to all of us.

Portland looked pretty good even with a draw.  Two away goals in horrendous conditions should be good enough with the home leg next week.

To be fair - advantage is not in play here.  And when it is - the ref acknowledges the call immediately and signals he is allowing play to continue.

If the ref sees a foul - and is certain - he should blow the whistle.  Occasionally, he will get it wrong.  It happens, and has happened to all of us.
The funny thing is, the foul was by the keeper, so if the ref calls it correctly, advantage is actually in play.  But thats not the point. Its just an example of the ref not immediately blowing his whistle which is what Richards was getting at.

In this instance, there is nothing lost by allowing the ball to go into the net and getting another view of it.  By treating it like the delayed offside mandates, VAR will be allowed to look and its either going to be called back as a foul or given as a goal.  Either way it should get to the right call.  By blowing his whistle there not only does he get it wrong but he also denies a clear goal. More outcry for getting it wrong then for allowing it to go to VAR.  Similar to the NFL blowing a play dead as an incomplete pass when its a fumble and clear recovery for a TD.

Now if this was in the middle of the park, or the end result is not 100% the ball in the back of the net, then yes blow the whislte for the foul if you are sure.  Much less backlash getting one wrong in the center circle then in front of an open net.

The funny thing is, the foul was by the keeper, so if the ref calls it correctly, advantage is actually in play.  But thats not the point. Its just an example of the ref not immediately blowing his whistle which is what Richards was getting at.

In this instance, there is nothing lost by allowing the ball to go into the net and getting another view of it.  By treating it like the delayed offside mandates, VAR will be allowed to look and its either going to be called back as a foul or given as a goal.  Either way it should get to the right call.  By blowing his whistle there not only does he get it wrong but he also denies a clear goal. More outcry for getting it wrong then for allowing it to go to VAR.  Similar to the NFL blowing a play dead as an incomplete pass when its a fumble and clear recovery for a TD.

Now if this was in the middle of the park, or the end result is not 100% the ball in the back of the net, then yes blow the whislte for the foul if you are sure.  Much less backlash getting one wrong in the center circle then in front of an open net.
I was wondering about that play and the overall context of it.  Obviously it shouldn't have been a foul on Bellingham and he certainly should've had the card revoked.  Hell, it should've been a goal.  However, given that the ref blew the play dead is there precedent to rule that as a denial of a goal scoring opportunity and a red by VAR?  

I was wondering about that play and the overall context of it.  Obviously it shouldn't have been a foul on Bellingham and he certainly should've had the card revoked.  Hell, it should've been a goal.  However, given that the ref blew the play dead is there precedent to rule that as a denial of a goal scoring opportunity and a red by VAR?  
Unfortunately since the ref called the foul on Bellingham and not the keeper, and the ball did not go in the net before he blew the whistle, VAR can not look at anything. 

Had he called the foul on the keeper it opens all sorts of scenarios, the most likely being advantage and a goal.

Are you kidding me just a YC there? That was sheer intent there by Blanco. Should be a straight RC. Our wonderful Giant Norgwegin Jakob Glesnes having none of it. Players coming together and not coaching staff of Saprissa on the field which should result into some punishment 

Not sure how that isn't a RC. CONCACAF should be reviewing that and changing to a straight RC.

Union win their first CONCACAF match ever and Philly Native and Manager has his 100th Win with the club 

Holy cow -- that's a horrible tackle.  I'm sure CONCACAF either has no review process or it's run by monkeys in a locked room and they lost the key, but wow.  That's bad.

Seemed way easier to me then what a lot of people had said. Yeah the final 30 mins wasn't a breeze but They dominated most of the match. Saprissa looked lack luster most of the match, very off timing wise too. 
These wins away at Saprissa and LDA are big wins.  Helps a ton there's no crowd to deal with, but it's definitely a feather in the cap for MLS.

Holy cow -- that's a horrible tackle.  I'm sure CONCACAF either has no review process or it's run by monkeys in a locked room and they lost the key, but wow.  That's bad.
Yeah no VAR to review that. Also not sure how Saprissa staff wasn't carded or sent off. Cant enter the pitch as a member of the coaching staff. 

These wins away at Saprissa and LDA are big wins.  Helps a ton there's no crowd to deal with, but it's definitely a feather in the cap for MLS.
the no fans really is big.

But these are the very first games for these in MLS teams in  months, playing teams in mid season form.  That makes the results so far even better for me.

I know the no crowd doesn't help just saying people acted like SAPRISSA is a juggernaut. Seems to me this is a club thats well past its glory yrs living off of past rep. Any win in CONCACAF is big for MLS though and I'm sure no fans played a part

I know the no crowd doesn't help just saying people acted like SAPRISSA is a juggernaut. Seems to me this is a club thats well past its glory yrs living off of past rep. Any win in CONCACAF is big for MLS though and I'm sure no fans played a part
Unlike Alajuelense, who was on fire this season, Saprissa has been struggling.  The announcers talked about it a few times.

Toronto is playing well

I always felt like Joel Campbell would have ended up a much better player than he became.  Still a very good pro, but I expected more when he was young.

Users who are viewing this thread