What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

⚽ Soccer Match-day Thread (8 Viewers)

I’d be happy Arsenal aren’t playing in Europe just so I don’t have to see that goober Smith-Rowe with his no guard/short socks look.

Liverpool's 5th and 6th string CBs both playing with heavily bandaged heads and stitches is the season in a nutshell.  Iconic images inbound.
43 points thru 28 games.  Then they go 8-2-0, 26 points from 10, to end the season and slip into the CL. 

Klopp got it wrong moving Fab out of the midfield, but figured out that Phillips and Kabak/Rhys Williams with Fabinho in front of them alonside Thiago, was the better option just in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
No way to know it at the time, but with both Chelsea and Leicester losing the Alisson header last week turns out to have been completely irrelevant.  They'd have finished 3rd even with a draw in that game.

The 10 point gap between 11th and 12th is a real haves/have nots divide too.  Outside Newcastle and maybe Sunderland -- both under atrocious management -- the table looks more or less like you'd expect based on resources.

ETA: Leicester an exception on the top half too I guess.

If you had money on Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams being the saviors of Liverpool's season, congrats on your early retirement.

Williams is an actual weak link.  Phillips looks like a drunk Bambi on ice, but still manages to be in the way virtually all the time.  Has be frustrating as hell for other players.  "I'm losing to that guy?!?"  Especially with his cult hero status I could see them keeping him around as a Cup/5th CB/depth player now.

Newcastle passed Wolves for 12th on Goals Scored tiebreaker, which is weird to say out loud. But it’s a pretty significant difference in payout for a team run by a cheapskate.

Aurier, Sissoko and Ndombele apparently refused to travel - claiming minor injuries.  (Same as Lo Celso).

Nobody is buying that injuries kept them from traveling.
Is that them saying they want a move and don't want to get hurt before it happens?

Yeah - have to move them all if so.

Phillips and Williams played the last five games, all wins, as a central partnership after Kabak went down, and gave up three total goals -- two of which were away to United. 

Really a heroic performance by two players who literally weren't in the 23 at the start of the season.

FWIW, Whoscored and the other advanced ratings systems love Phillips.  Grades out as a CL-caliber defender.  Williams is better than I expected too, but not that good.

ETA:  and Phillips was in a partnership with Kabak before Williams. Only surrendering 6 goals in the last 10 games.

The 10 point gap between 11th and 12th is a real haves/have nots divide too.  Outside Newcastle and maybe Sunderland -- both under atrocious management -- the table looks more or less like you'd expect based on resources.

ETA: Leicester an exception on the top half too I guess.
I was surprised Leeds had a Top 10 finish and just how far, how quickly  Sheffield United dropped from last year.

No way to know it at the time, but with both Chelsea and Leicester losing the Alisson header last week turns out to have been completely irrelevant.  They'd have finished 3rd even with a draw in that game.
But I thought Ole's rotation vs Leicester was keeping Liverpool out of the CL?

And how does anyone think Brenden is a top coach?  2 seasons in a row they crash out of the top 4 on the last day.  I think this season they spent the most amount of days of any team in the top 4....

And how does anyone think Brenden is a top coach?  2 seasons in a row they crash out of the top 4 on the last day.  I think this season they spent the most amount of days of any team in the top 4....
I never said anything about the United squad -- seemed like what you'd expect given the fixtures.

The second piece is unfair though.  FA Cup + 5th place is a real achievement IMO.  Six teams have more than double the revenue of LCFC, and another half-dozen are in the same ballpark.

Well, to be fair, I’m not sure anybody is saying he’s up there with Klopp or Pep but winning the FA Cup and just missing out on CL is still a pretty remarkable season for Leicester.  I was honestly surprised when they went up 2-1 that they didn’t at least earn a point.  Not sure if it was tired legs or Tottenham finally played up to expectations.

Well, to be fair, I’m not sure anybody is saying he’s up there with Klopp or Pep but winning the FA Cup and just missing out on CL is still a pretty remarkable season for Leicester.  I was honestly surprised when they went up 2-1 that they didn’t at least earn a point.  Not sure if it was tired legs or Tottenham finally played up to expectations.
Fofana going out early was a real blow. I'm surprised their defense has even been that good given the circumstances this season. 

Fofana going out early was a real blow. I'm surprised their defense has even been that good given the circumstances this season. 
Right -- I forget the details, but IIRC LCFC have been ravaged by injury this year.  Not quite Liverpool levels, but bad I think.

I never said anything about the United squad -- seemed like what you'd expect given the fixtures.

The second piece is unfair though.  FA Cup + 5th place is a real achievement IMO.  Six teams have more than double the revenue of LCFC, and another half-dozen are in the same ballpark.
You didn't but there were a ton of Liverpool fans calling for United to get docked points for their lineup vs Leicester.  I was laughing at their tears, nothing you were saying.

Leicester has bottled top 4 two seasons in a row.  Big picture for them is thats a great ending.  But not when you were in the top 4 all season.  

A lot of talk about him going to Tottenham, or leaving LCFC since this might be the end of their run.... 

You didn't but there were a ton of Liverpool fans calling for United to get docked points for their lineup vs Leicester.  I was laughing at their tears, nothing you were saying.

Leicester has bottled top 4 two seasons in a row.  Big picture for them is thats a great ending.  But not when you were in the top 4 all season.  

A lot of talk about him going to Tottenham, or leaving LCFC since this might be the end of their run.... 
I’ve wondered about that last part.  Vardy is getting long in the tooth so they need some striker depth but if the owners spend some money I don’t see any reason they couldn’t qualify for Europe again next year.  

I’ve wondered about that last part.  Vardy is getting long in the tooth so they need some striker depth but if the owners spend some money I don’t see any reason they couldn’t qualify for Europe again next year.  
Is Iheanacho good enough?  Do they invest in more strikers? Evans at 33 is also getting up there, defense is needed too.

This window is huge for several teams. 

United - Do the owners invest and get the 3-4 players they need to compete with City and whats coming up below them?
Liverpool - status or Mane and Salah.  Does VVD come back as good?
Chelsea - Does Tuechel get the best of Timo, Havertz, Pulisic? 
Leicester - Vardy and Evans getting older, do they invest and maintain their run of 5th place finishes
WHU - Is West Ham that good?  What happens to Lingard and Declan Rice?
Tottenham - Harry Kane?
Arsenal - Rumored several players leaving, do they bring in some?  Is Aub done? Rumors of Arteta to Barcelona?
Leeds - Buy some defense and make life more miserable for those above?
Everton - Which Everton shows up?

Is Iheanacho good enough?  Do they invest in more strikers? Evans at 33 is also getting up there, defense is needed too.

This window is huge for several teams. 

United - Do the owners invest and get the 3-4 players they need to compete with City and whats coming up below them?
Liverpool - status or Mane and Salah.  Does VVD come back as good?
Chelsea - Does Tuechel get the best of Timo, Havertz, Pulisic? 
Leicester - Vardy and Evans getting older, do they invest and maintain their run of 5th place finishes
WHU - Is West Ham that good?  What happens to Lingard and Declan Rice?
Tottenham - Harry Kane?
Arsenal - Rumored several players leaving, do they bring in some?  Is Aub done? Rumors of Arteta to Barcelona?
Leeds - Buy some defense and make life more miserable for those above?
Everton - Which Everton shows up?
I think United do something but not enough to close the gap with City.

Liverpool - you’d have to think Mane might leave.  Their starting XI is fantastic but they need some (better)depth, especially in defense.  I expect them and United to battle for 2nd - unless Pep wins CL and leaves

Chelsea - I think I was one of the few who hasn’t been impressed with Tuchel - yes, long run of games without many or any losses but the attack just wasn’t there and his insistence on playing Werner and not some other options was baffling to me.  They should be top-4 as I see a clear divide between the top 4 this year and the next 3-4

West Ham - aberration, IMO.  Only way to continue the success is to spend and doubt they will

Arsenal/Spurs - both 2 years from serious challenge

Leeds could be interesting - love their style and the players run themselves to death for Bielsa.  European challenge possible if they bring in more players but that can be dangerous is they overextend.  

Everton - same as it ever was

De Gea can't kick a ball over 30 yards, Lindelof is soft, Cavani gives away a foul since he's been fouled 3 differnt times with no call.  That means 1-0 Villareal 40'

United have been fantastic in the 2nd half but will all be for nothing if they can’t get a winning goal.

McTomminay has been great 

He's playing like he doesn't want the ball at his feet.

Not even a foul on Bailey not sure why he got booked.
My undedicated take is the kind of runs Rashford likes to make isn’t a ball possession and opening up the defense kind of runs.  He’s just a straight ahead runner and dribbler. He’s quality but I’m not sure he’s a perfect fit in the front four with Bruno, Cavani and Greenwood. 

My undedicated take is the kind of runs Rashford likes to make isn’t a ball possession and opening up the defense kind of runs.  He’s just a straight ahead runner and dribbler. He’s quality but I’m not sure he’s a perfect fit in the front four with Bruno, Cavani and Greenwood. 
He loves to run at people with the ball, or in behind without.  He is trying to run at people with the ball.  I think hes beat up and worn out and tired of getting whacked.  He doesn't usually play 1 touch passes backwards all game like he has today.

I feel like there are a half dozen British comedies that are fertile ground for interspersing random Ole reactions throughout 

Users who are viewing this thread