What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1.02 rookie pick- Stewart vs Mendenhall (1 Viewer)

1.02 rookie pick- Stewart vs Mendenhall

• Stewart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mendenhall

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

fsufan

Footballguy
I think Mcfadden will go #1 in most rookie drafts. Who is the best pick at #2. I think this will be a good debate

I voted Stewart because I expect he will be getting the bulk of the carries to start. I would like to see what people not only think about now but the future.

Stewart going away... as long as bruce Arians is the Steeler Off Coord.. this Poll is a no brainer...

I'm not even a Steeler fan and all you have to tell yourself is that there is a reason Arians got ran out of Cleveland...

and that reason is rearing its ugly head in the Steel City now...

:shrug:

I think a lot of it will depend on format, if this is a redraft or dynasty. And if it is a dynasty are you making a run this year or is this year more of a positioning/rebuilding year.

If you want the guy with impact now - Stewart

If you want the guy 1-2 years from now or more long term - Mendenhall

I voted Stewart......but I honestly think Kevin Smith needs to be in consideration. I do think the majority of people would still vote Stewart but Kevin Smith is going to start in Detroit.

If you have a starting rookie back with a coach who just fired Martz because he wants to go back to more of a traditional offensive scheme, that guy should be in the conversation of rookie backs.

Mark my word, as we get closer to the season and early during preseason, you will start hearing this guy's name in the same conversation as these guys.

I think a lot of it will depend on format, if this is a redraft or dynasty. And if it is a dynasty are you making a run this year or is this year more of a positioning/rebuilding year. If you want the guy with impact now - StewartIf you want the guy 1-2 years from now or more long term - Mendenhall
dynastyI keep reading the same thing about these two. Stewart short term(08) and Mendenhall long term. Why?

I think a lot of it will depend on format, if this is a redraft or dynasty. And if it is a dynasty are you making a run this year or is this year more of a positioning/rebuilding year. If you want the guy with impact now - StewartIf you want the guy 1-2 years from now or more long term - Mendenhall
dynastyI keep reading the same thing about these two. Stewart short term(08) and Mendenhall long term. Why?
Well the concern that I have is that the health of Stewart is little unknown at this point and can he perform year after year at a high level. I think we all know he will perform at high level, the guy has freakish talent at his position as far as strength and speed. Also, you will probably see Stewart jump right in the starting roll, and see Mendenhall more in the upcoming years as they already have FWP. I just don't see the steelers benching FWP for this cat quite yet.

I think dynasty wise Smith has just as much upside as mendenhall and stewart. you don't challenge barry sanders' all-time single season record without some serious talent.

I think dynasty wise Smith has just as much upside as mendenhall and stewart. you don't challenge barry sanders' all-time single season record without some serious talent.
i can see some dynasty owners drafting smith #2

I just took Mendenhall over Stewart in a dynasty draft and I'll explain my reasoning here:

1. Talent - I've always thought it was pretty close between these two. Stewart is definitely the better athlete on paper. He had better combine numbers almost across the board. He has more freakish qualities and I think he has a higher ceiling in a vacuum. That said, I've always been pretty high on Mendenhall. He's not the best athlete on paper, but he's built like a rock and I like the skills he flashes on the football field. He can run inside. He's nifty enough to bust a long one here and there. He has potential to develop into a complete back. I think he'll be more durable than Stewart. He's a quality first round RB comparable in talent level to guys like Lynch and Maroney. What I said about him in my initial rookie rankings is that his production will always mirror his situation, which brings me to my next point.

2. Situation - This is the big difference for me. Stewart is going to get a lot of work in Carolina. They want to rush the football and he's going to be a big part of that. However, I think Pittsburgh is a much better situation overall. The first big factor is the presence of Roethlisberger. Having an elite QB like that is a big plus for Mendenhall. It means his team will be scoring a lot of points, which means more TD opportunities. It also means he will never be the focus of the opposing defense. So even if he isn't a truly elite talent, his situation has put him in a very good position to produce. Parker is a pretty mediocre talent and he's been a big time yardage machine. Imagine what a true first round talent can do with the same opportunity. Stewart's situation is a little more volatile. Carolina doesn't have a true franchise QB. They won't score as much as Pittsburgh. And with another bad season or two, Fox could be fired. A new coach could mean a new offensive philosophy, which might not be a good thing for Stewart.

3. Organization - This is really just an offshoot of #2. The Steelers are one of the best organizations in the league. Go back and check their track record in the first round of the draft. It's pretty impressive. When the Steelers use a first round pick on a player, he usually becomes a very solid contributor. That bodes well for Mendenhall. On the flipside, the Panthers have been a little more hit-and-miss. They're not a terrible organization, but the Panthers seal of approval doesn't carry the same weight with me that the Steelers seal of approval does.

Overall I think Mendenhall has a chance to become the next Joseph Addai. He doesn't have the top shelf combine numbers I look for, but he looks pretty good to me out there on the football field and he was widely considered a legitimate first round talent. I like his prospects.

I also like Stewart and think he's a very solid rookie pick. He has a higher upside than Mendenhall, but I also think he's a bigger risk to disappoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the #3 and don't need a rb this year at all so i can wait a year or two.

I'll just take the RB that's left between the two.

EBF said:
I just took Mendenhall over Stewart in a dynasty draft and I'll explain my reasoning here:1. Talent - I've always thought it was pretty close between these two. Stewart is definitely the better athlete on paper. He had better combine numbers almost across the board. He has more freakish qualities and I think he has a higher ceiling in a vacuum. That said, I've always been pretty high on Mendenhall. He's not the best athlete on paper, but he's built like a rock and I like the skills he flashes on the football field. He can run inside. He's nifty enough to bust a long one here and there. He has potential to develop into a complete back. I think he'll be more durable than Stewart. He's a quality first round RB comparable in talent level to guys like Lynch and Maroney. What I said about him in my initial rookie rankings is that his production will always mirror his situation, which brings me to my next point.2. Situation - This is the big difference for me. Stewart is going to get a lot of work in Carolina. They want to rush the football and he's going to be a big part of that. However, I think Pittsburgh is a much better situation overall. The first big factor is the presence of Roethlisberger. Having an elite QB like that is a big plus for Mendenhall. It means his team will be scoring a lot of points, which means more TD opportunities. It also means he will never be the focus of the opposing defense. So even if he isn't a truly elite talent, his situation has put him in a very good position to produce. Parker is a pretty mediocre talent and he's been a big time yardage machine. Imagine what a true first round talent can do with the same opportunity. Stewart's situation is a little more volatile. Carolina doesn't have a true franchise QB. They won't score as much as Pittsburgh. And with another bad season or two, Fox could be fired. A new coach could mean a new offensive philosophy, which might not be a good thing for Stewart. 3. Organization - This is really just an offshoot of #2. The Steelers are one of the best organizations in the league. Go back and check their track record in the first round of the draft. It's pretty impressive. When the Steelers use a first round pick on a player, he usually becomes a very solid contributor. That bodes well for Mendenhall. On the flipside, the Panthers have been a little more hit-and-miss. They're not a terrible organization, but the Panthers seal of approval doesn't carry the same weight with me that the Steelers seal of approval does. Overall I think Mendenhall has a chance to become the next Joseph Addai. He doesn't have the top shelf combine numbers I look for, but he looks pretty good to me out there on the football field and he was widely considered a legitimate first round talent. I like his prospects.I also like Stewart and think he's a very solid rookie pick. He has a higher upside than Mendenhall, but I also think he's a bigger risk to disappoint.
If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Mendenhall for these exact reasons. If you're willing to possibly wait a year or two, Mendenhall has the potential in Pitt to pay very large dividends.

I have 1.02 and 1.03 in one of my dynasty leagues and I will be taking Stewart and Mendenhall..........

EBF said:
I just took Mendenhall over Stewart in a dynasty draft and I'll explain my reasoning here:1. Talent - I've always thought it was pretty close between these two. Stewart is definitely the better athlete on paper. He had better combine numbers almost across the board. He has more freakish qualities and I think he has a higher ceiling in a vacuum. That said, I've always been pretty high on Mendenhall. He's not the best athlete on paper, but he's built like a rock and I like the skills he flashes on the football field. He can run inside. He's nifty enough to bust a long one here and there. He has potential to develop into a complete back. I think he'll be more durable than Stewart. He's a quality first round RB comparable in talent level to guys like Lynch and Maroney. What I said about him in my initial rookie rankings is that his production will always mirror his situation, which brings me to my next point.2. Situation - This is the big difference for me. Stewart is going to get a lot of work in Carolina. They want to rush the football and he's going to be a big part of that. However, I think Pittsburgh is a much better situation overall. The first big factor is the presence of Roethlisberger. Having an elite QB like that is a big plus for Mendenhall. It means his team will be scoring a lot of points, which means more TD opportunities. It also means he will never be the focus of the opposing defense. So even if he isn't a truly elite talent, his situation has put him in a very good position to produce. Parker is a pretty mediocre talent and he's been a big time yardage machine. Imagine what a true first round talent can do with the same opportunity. Stewart's situation is a little more volatile. Carolina doesn't have a true franchise QB. They won't score as much as Pittsburgh. And with another bad season or two, Fox could be fired. A new coach could mean a new offensive philosophy, which might not be a good thing for Stewart. 3. Organization - This is really just an offshoot of #2. The Steelers are one of the best organizations in the league. Go back and check their track record in the first round of the draft. It's pretty impressive. When the Steelers use a first round pick on a player, he usually becomes a very solid contributor. That bodes well for Mendenhall. On the flipside, the Panthers have been a little more hit-and-miss. They're not a terrible organization, but the Panthers seal of approval doesn't carry the same weight with me that the Steelers seal of approval does. Overall I think Mendenhall has a chance to become the next Joseph Addai. He doesn't have the top shelf combine numbers I look for, but he looks pretty good to me out there on the football field and he was widely considered a legitimate first round talent. I like his prospects.I also like Stewart and think he's a very solid rookie pick. He has a higher upside than Mendenhall, but I also think he's a bigger risk to disappoint.
:eek: I have 1.2 in a couple weeks. On Friday night, Mendenhall was ahead of Stewart on my board. On Saturday night after the first 2 rounds, I flipped them. Now, the more I read and think and study, the more I conclude that it's just smarter to draft Mendenhall. Being a patient owner sure helps here, too!

I've got the top 3 rookie RBs at

1. DMC

2. Kevin Smith

3. Stewart

Kevin Smith has talent, opportunity and inferior competition - hence his placement at #2 on rookie rankings.

EBF said:
If the Steelers had picked Mendenhall with Stewart still on the board, then I might understand the seal of approval point. But in this situation its a worthless argument.

EBF said:
If the Steelers had picked Mendenhall with Stewart still on the board, then I might understand the seal of approval point. But in this situation its a worthless argument.
I'm actually liking Mendenhall too. There's the same RBBC risk with PIT and CAR this year, but in Pit they usually settle on a main guy and avoid diluting his carries too much. Mcfadden is good, but I just don't think Oakland is gonna get things together any time soon. He'll have to take a beating for too long before the team catches up with him. I think Pit will look at Mendenhall and Parker and figure out Mendenhall is more of an every down back.

I've got the top 3 rookie RBs at 1. DMC2. Kevin Smith3. StewartKevin Smith has talent, opportunity and inferior competition - hence his placement at #2 on rookie rankings.
you're talking redraft right?
I'm talking rookie picks in a dynasty draft.
Then how about Forte? It's not like Benson is any better than Tatum Bell although his contract may keep him on the team.
Forte is a quandry right now with me. I love his pass catching skills, but I don't know how they will fit him into their plans. Did they give up on Benson yet? I'm thinking so, but they also have Adrian Peterson there too. Forte may move up my ranks sooner than later, but right now I have him as the 11th RB in rookie rankings. Perhaps that's a bit low, but I need to see more from him. He's just not that high on my ranks.

EBF said:
In the top ten rookie thread I made the same point for Mendenhall. I don't get the excitement over RBs in Detroit, Chicago, and Carolina. At least the back in Carolina is an elite athletic beast, but that is a very tough place to run the football.

Stewart will get to play right away, but how much? Also, his long-term health is something to consider.

I think that if you're patient and willing to forgo getting much this year you'll be better off with Mendenhall.

Mendenhall is a Joseph Addai redux.

First round talent + excellent situation = :thumbup:

I like him at 1.01 in rookie drafts this year.

When the players are so close in talent, you have to look at what team they are on. Situations can change, but the teams they are apart of cannot. Pitt is an impressive football team that usually gets success out of their players. Carolina gives me no confidence and would be a team that I would not want to be apart of. They dont have a identity.

Mendenhall is the smart choice, in keeper/dynasty leagues. You will be happy if you take him, I guarantee that. Stewart will be productive but is not as good system. In a few years, Mendenhall is going to become an elite fantasy stud.

Mendenhall is a Joseph Addai redux. First round talent + excellent situation = :goodposting:I like him at 1.01 in rookie drafts this year.
Addai went to Indy, with little RB competiton. While Pittsburgh has a solid offense, the situation is no where close to Indianapolis. Not to mention, Parker is going to steal plenty of touches from Mendenhall.With that said, i do think Mendenhall is just as, if not more talented than Addai.

EBF said:
some good points... I think opportunity-wise Stewart, Smith, and Forte all have the chance to be Day 1 starters, but Mendenhall might have the better career... Smith could surprise and be a solid starter for years.

I don't understand why people keep saying that Mendenhall is the better long term choice. On what grounds? Mendenhall only had 1 good year? One year wonder? Who knows. Stewart is the better player and has less competition. Why would Pittsburgh get rid of Parker at any point in the next couple of years? After all the teams that shine with two good backs, why would Pittsburgh get rid of Parker 2-3 years from now?

I have the 1.02 pick and I'm taking Stewart. I'm going with the better talent. Talent always wins out. Not only does Stewart have a higher ceiling, but IMO he also has a higher floor because he is a proven product.

I don't understand why people keep saying that Mendenhall is the better long term choice. On what grounds? Mendenhall only had 1 good year? One year wonder? Who knows. Stewart is the better player and has less competition. Why would Pittsburgh get rid of Parker at any point in the next couple of years? After all the teams that shine with two good backs, why would Pittsburgh get rid of Parker 2-3 years from now? I have the 1.02 pick and I'm taking Stewart. I'm going with the better talent. Talent always wins out. Not only does Stewart have a higher ceiling, but IMO he also has a higher floor because he is a proven product.
Finally some sense in this thread, I have traded for the 2nd overall pick and I'm definitely spending it on Stewart. Carolina has Delhomme back, they have upgraded their receivers and O-line. They should be alot better this year.

I don't understand why people keep saying that Mendenhall is the better long term choice. On what grounds? Mendenhall only had 1 good year? One year wonder? Who knows. Stewart is the better player and has less competition. Why would Pittsburgh get rid of Parker at any point in the next couple of years? After all the teams that shine with two good backs, why would Pittsburgh get rid of Parker 2-3 years from now? I have the 1.02 pick and I'm taking Stewart. I'm going with the better talent. Talent always wins out. Not only does Stewart have a higher ceiling, but IMO he also has a higher floor because he is a proven product.
You're right about one thing, talent wins out. That's the reason why Mendenhall will have the better career.

FWIW, Stewart was also a bit of a one year wonder. Hard to use that argument as justification for taking him over Mendenhall. Not that it matters really. 1 year, 2 years, 3 years. It's virtually irrelevant how much experience a guy has. Willie Parker wasn't a starter in college. Ditto Priest Holmes and Ronnie Brown. Larry Johnson was a one year wonder. Willis McGahee was a one year wonder. On the flipside, Cedric Benson and DeAngelo were stars for several years in college.

College doesn't mean squat in the NFL. I can think of "one year wonders" who flopped. I can think of some who hit. I can think of multi-year studs who flopped. I can think of some who hit. You have to look at the bigger picture. I don't think splitting time with Pierre Thomas in college diminishes what Mendenhall brings to the table as an NFL prospect. He looks legit on the field. He was a very high draft pick. He landed on a great team with a strong recent history of picking quality players in the first round. There's a lot to like here.

Realistically, I think you can make a pretty good case for any of the top three rookie backs at 1.01. I like Mendenhall there for reasons which I've explained.

EBF said:
I just took Mendenhall over Stewart in a dynasty draft and I'll explain my reasoning here:

1. Talent - I've always thought it was pretty close between these two. Stewart is definitely the better athlete on paper. He had better combine numbers almost across the board. He has more freakish qualities and I think he has a higher ceiling in a vacuum. That said, I've always been pretty high on Mendenhall. He's not the best athlete on paper, but he's built like a rock and I like the skills he flashes on the football field. He can run inside. He's nifty enough to bust a long one here and there. He has potential to develop into a complete back. I think he'll be more durable than Stewart. He's a quality first round RB comparable in talent level to guys like Lynch and Maroney. What I said about him in my initial rookie rankings is that his production will always mirror his situation, which brings me to my next point.

2. Situation - This is the big difference for me. Stewart is going to get a lot of work in Carolina. They want to rush the football and he's going to be a big part of that. However, I think Pittsburgh is a much better situation overall. The first big factor is the presence of Roethlisberger. Having an elite QB like that is a big plus for Mendenhall. It means his team will be scoring a lot of points, which means more TD opportunities. It also means he will never be the focus of the opposing defense. So even if he isn't a truly elite talent, his situation has put him in a very good position to produce. Parker is a pretty mediocre talent and he's been a big time yardage machine. Imagine what a true first round talent can do with the same opportunity. Stewart's situation is a little more volatile. Carolina doesn't have a true franchise QB. They won't score as much as Pittsburgh. And with another bad season or two, Fox could be fired. A new coach could mean a new offensive philosophy, which might not be a good thing for Stewart.

3. Organization - This is really just an offshoot of #2. The Steelers are one of the best organizations in the league. Go back and check their track record in the first round of the draft. It's pretty impressive. When the Steelers use a first round pick on a player, he usually becomes a very solid contributor. That bodes well for Mendenhall. On the flipside, the Panthers have been a little more hit-and-miss. They're not a terrible organization, but the Panthers seal of approval doesn't carry the same weight with me that the Steelers seal of approval does.

Overall I think Mendenhall has a chance to become the next Joseph Addai. He doesn't have the top shelf combine numbers I look for, but he looks pretty good to me out there on the football field and he was widely considered a legitimate first round talent. I like his prospects.

I also like Stewart and think he's a very solid rookie pick. He has a higher upside than Mendenhall, but I also think he's a bigger risk to disappoint.
In the top ten rookie thread I made the same point for Mendenhall. I don't get the excitement over RBs in Detroit, Chicago, and Carolina. At least the back in Carolina is an elite athletic beast, but that is a very tough place to run the football.
Davis did well there. maybe they had trouble running the ball the past few years b/c they did not have a quality RB

EBF said:
KellysHeroes said:
Drunken Cowboy said:
Personally I take Mendenhall 1st.
:lmao:
Didn't Mendenhall have to sit behind Pierre Thomas?
They split carries. All three of the top backs in this draft split carries in college. Next year's top two backs split carries in college. It's not a valid criticism against Mendenhall.
When will people wake up and smell the coffee?

KellysHeroes said:
Drunken Cowboy said:
:goodposting:
That is exactly what I was going to write. Mendenhall is going to have to learn blitz pickup and be a better blocker if he wants to stay in the game on 3rd down. Stewart already has all those attributes besides for being a beast. Player best comparable to Stewart is Stephen Jackson. Why people would look over Stewart for Mendenhall is beyond me, but time will tell.

A lot of love for Smith in the top 3 here. Time to start thinking Forte. This kid is gonna be special and be giving the opportunity right off it looks like as a 3 down back.

4 is my best pick any Dynasty this year and I am licking my chops with that pick. Forte is my pick etched in stone! Just hope he makes it to 4.

KellysHeroes said:
Drunken Cowboy said:
:unsure:
That is exactly what I was going to write. Mendenhall is going to have to learn blitz pickup and be a better blocker if he wants to stay in the game on 3rd down. Stewart already has all those attributes besides for being a beast. Player best comparable to Stewart is Stephen Jackson. Why people would look over Stewart for Mendenhall is beyond me, but time will tell.
WTF? Mendenhall is a good blocker.Strengths:

Terrific size and bulk...Excellent timed speed...A natural runner with great instincts and vision....Strong and powerful...Keeps his legs moving on contact and picks up extra yards...Has pretty good hands and can be a weapon catching the ball out of the backfield..More than holds his own as a blocker...Does not have much mileage on his tires...Tough and durable...Smooth and a very good athlete...A hard worker and team player with top-notch intangibles....Still improving and has some upside.

....and that's just one source.

:goodposting:
So your saying that Parker will replace Mendenhall on 3rd downs because he has better blocking abilities?

Parker might be gone after a year or two, but D Williams is offering little resistance at this point . . .

Stewart is the easy 1.02 call . . .

I'd trade down from 1.2 to 1.3 (and upgrade at another position) and take Mendenhall.

I think Stewart goes 1.2 and Mendenhall 1.3 in the majority of rookie drafts. Give me the choice of all 3 and I take Mendenhall. Love the talent and situation for the long-term future.

I'd trade down from 1.2 to 1.3 (and upgrade at another position) and take Mendenhall.I think Stewart goes 1.2 and Mendenhall 1.3 in the majority of rookie drafts. Give me the choice of all 3 and I take Mendenhall. Love the talent and situation for the long-term future.
No one is going to give you an upgrade at another position to trade down 1 spot. You're better off taking the guy you like at 1.02.

Im really surprised by the 2-1 vote for Stewart. I figured with just 2 yrs remaining on FWP and 3 yrs on Williams that most would have felt that Mendenhall would be carrying the load sooner (Willy will be 30 at that point). I also agree with EBF's points and having a running back playing for Pit far out-weighs a back for Car. Oh and add the injury history of Stewarts and Im sold on Mendenhall. Wish me luck with the #2 pick

Im really surprised by the 2-1 vote for Stewart. I figured with just 2 yrs remaining on FWP and 3 yrs on Williams that most would have felt that Mendenhall would be carrying the load sooner (Willy will be 30 at that point). I also agree with EBF's points and having a running back playing for Pit far out-weighs a back for Car. Oh and add the injury history of Stewarts and Im sold on Mendenhall. Wish me luck with the #2 pick
Carolina has shown with the right RB, Davis, they can run the ball. Not saying Stewart is the next Davis but Foster and Williams is/was not the answer

Users who are viewing this thread