What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 Myths of Joe Fan (1 Viewer)

BoulderBob

Footballguy
This should shup up the drunken morons who ruin the NFL experience for so many people...-------------------Stadiums and arenas are becoming the landfill for America's most obnoxious, crude, rude and wasted fans. Game-day civility has become a rumor. Manners have vanished.Not long ago, at the Carolina-Chicago playoff game at Soldier Field, I saw four drunk Bears fans stagger toward a couple of middle-aged guys wearing Panthers jerseys. The Bears fans dropped a cluster of expletives on them, called them homosexuals, laughed and moved on.And this was 10 minutes before kickoff.It's getting harder and harder to go to a game, any game, without needing ear cotton, boxing lessons or a direct line to stadium security. People all have their own fan horror story. Or stories.Time to dispel the 10 most common fan myths:Dude, my ticket pays their salaries. So if I'm dipping into my wallet, I'm ripping into the players and coaches.Dude, your single-game $32 Cubs ticket doesn't even pay for a shin guard, much less Kerry Wood's $9.5 million salary. So why don't you do us all a favor and suck on a pine-tar rag.Buying a ticket gets you through the turnstile and into a seat. It isn't a three-hour contract to set a stadium record for f-bombs."People have a sense of, 'If I fork out that type of money, nobody should be able to tell me what to do,'" says Edward R. Hirt, an associate professor of psychology at Indiana University. "It's become, 'If I want to be a jerk, really boo, get on someone's case, I really have a right to do that.'"But you don't. Cranking up the crudity just because you bought a sports ticket makes as much sense as putting a 10-spot in the collection plate, then berating the priest because you didn't like the homily.But without me, there is no team.Yeah, the teams love your money. In some cases, ticket sales support player payrolls, especially in the NHL, where the television contracts pale in comparison with, say, the massive NFL broadcast rights fees. And, yeah, the 3.1 million fans who came to Wrigley Field last year provided much of the revenue necessary for a payroll that reached nearly $90 million.But not every major league club draws more than 3 million, and even those that do have to depend on more than your Visa card. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (still the dumbest name in sports) drew 3.4 million fans last season, but ticket sales accounted for just 40 percent of team revenue.And at BCS champion Texas, your ticket purchase means squat when it comes to the Longhorns' bottom line in football. That's because Texas has those 66 stadium suites that rent for as much as $50,000 per season, plus those ABC rights fees (as much as $500,000 for some games), plus those Stadium Club donations (minimum four figures), plus those priority seating fees for foundation members. Says a UT athletic department official: "In our case, it's actually more likely that [the average ticket buyer] is helping to fund a scholarship in track or swimming as it is in paying Mack [brown's] contract.''So it turns out you're not exactly a co-CEO. Quit acting like you own the place.We're the 12th Man. Our team needs us.Your team needs you to spend lots of money and disrupt the other team's snap count. That's it.Those 12th Man banners and flags are wonderful, they really are, but let's get something straight: You're not the one who knocked Nick Goings into the land of CAT scans; that was Seattle linebacker Lofa Tatupu. And safety Troy Polamalu and the Steelers didn't need the 12th Man's help as they won three consecutive road games to reach the Super Bowl.The referee deserved it. He cost us the game.No referee deserves to be hit in the back of the head with a half-full plastic beer bottle. If caught, the bottle throwers should have to spend five minutes in a very small room with NFL ref/weightlifter Ed Hochuli.I sit in the Bob Uecker seats. I'm so far away from home plate I need a connecting flight to reach the field. So, trust me, the players can't hear a word I'm screaming.No, but the dad and his 7-year-old kid to your right can hear you just fine. So can the elderly couple to your left. And the mom and her two daughters in the row in front of you are going to need new ear canals by the fourth inning.I'm not saying to sit on your hands. But maybe everybody in Section 604 doesn't need to know exactly where you think Barry Bonds ought to stick his bat.I sit near courtside. The players and coaches know we're just ragging on them in good fun.Sure they do. That's why, if it were legal, they'd like to beat you to a fine pulp, pour the pulp into a FedEx envelope and overnight your remains to the next of kin. But they can't, so they pretend not to hear a 5-6 cosmetic surgeon with a rent-a-date tell them how to D-up on Kobe.There should be a rule: You can only rag on Peyton Manning for throwing an interception if Manning can rag on you for, say, misslicing the honey-baked ham at the deli. ("Cut ... that ... meat, you worthless piece of minimum-wage slime.'')It's a ball game, not a Washington think tank.I'm not saying fans should wear tweed and discuss Chaucer between innings. Cheer. Boo. Enjoy an adult beverage or two.But it is only a game, not the Battle of Stalingrad.If the players trash talk, so can I.The players are actually playing in the game. You're shelling salted peanuts and making sure your daughter doesn't lose her American Girl doll. So maybe it's time you quit acting as though you have to stop Dwight Freeney.If they don't want me to drink, they shouldn't sell beer.Teams want you to drink. They just don't want you to need a liver transplant by halftime.Teams make a lot of serious money on beer and liquor concessions. A cup of stadium brew that costs you $7 might cost them 50 cents or so. So let's not pretend a pro franchise wants you to conduct an AA meeting at the game.But if you're spending more time in front of a beer stand or urinal than you are watching Dontrelle Willis pitch, then maybe you ought to be at a bar, not a ball game. I love beer. I'd like to date a keg. But there's nothing worse than sitting in front of four lugs whose blood-alcohol levels are so high they think A-Rod is a car part.There's no way that right winger can climb over the Plexiglas and get me.Why don't you mention that to Ottawa's Brian McGrattan or Toronto's Tie Domi. But first, insult their mothers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to go to Pats gamrs, in the old days. They were lucky to get 25,000 fans at the game. It was a combination of one hell of a bad team and probabley one of the worst, if not the worst pro stadium in history.As the team improved, the fans in the stands didn`t. It got so bad after one Mon nite game, the town had had enough and the Pats were off Mon for at least a couple of years. No place to bring any family members. Now, with the new owners, stadium, and a product of excellence, the gameday experience is much more geared to the family. You still get people yelling out stuff but overall Foxboro is an excellent place to bring your family, although a bit pricey! The Krafts have seen to it that the atmosphere is a positive one for all the team`s fans. :thumbup:

I sit in the Bob Uecker seats. I'm so far away from home plate I need a connecting flight to reach the field. So, trust me, the players can't hear a word I'm screaming.No, but the dad and his 7-year-old kid to your right can hear you just fine. So can the elderly couple to your left. And the mom and her two daughters in the row in front of you are going to need new ear canals by the fourth inning.I'm not saying to sit on your hands. But maybe everybody in Section 604 doesn't need to know exactly where you think Barry Bonds ought to stick his bat.
:thumbup:

This is a great article...It is so weird because my first trip up to Beaver Stadium to see Penn State was with my dad when I was about 8 years old (I'm 17 now), and I remember two things about the game:1. We played Pitt.2. The obnoxious Pitt fan who was cursing so excessively that my dad and others around the area had to continuously tell him that there were children around.I find it sad that people can only enjoy the game with drunken cursing and it really does affect the people around them.

I used to live in SD and would go see my Seahawks every year there. I've been chased through the parking lot after games by 3 generations of drunken fans, stuff thrown at me etc. I don't wear jerseys to other team's stadiums anymore. It's just hard to get the mustard out. I've been a knock down drunk before and I've yelled at my share of players and refs. But one look from a parent whose kid is within earshot is enough to make me think about what I'm doing. Cuz I'll surely be one wondering wyhy the next generation is so rude (like everyone does when they get old). And I'll know why.I went to Seahawk Stadium with some friends for a Browns game and my buddy was sporting his old school Browns gear. No probs. Our friend we were staying with wore a #######g Niners hat! No prob. There were posters around the stadium showing a 'Hawk player and a youth with his ears covered reminding people that there are others around. And they announced it on the big screen a couple of times. both my friends said afterwards that it was the classiest experience they've ever had at a game. And I've heard that from others. Not trying to bump up the Seattle fans, even though we are the best, more than anyone else. But it's an example of what the venue can do to convince the fans around us to help keep others in line so we of ALL AGES can enjoy the game. And BTW, I am not trying to paint the Charger fans in any negative light. Just a few drunks pissed off at a pretty bad call that went the Hawks way and helped them win. The Q (formerly the Murph) in SD is hands down THE BEST PLACE to see a game. There's tailgaters there at 9 am for a 1pm game. Just be careful what jersey you wear!!!edit: why is f r i c k i n g censored?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, my ticket pays their salaries. So if I'm dipping into my wallet, I'm ripping into the players and coaches.

Dude, your single-game $32 Cubs ticket doesn't even pay for a shin guard, much less Kerry Wood's $9.5 million salary. So why don't you do us all a favor and suck on a pine-tar rag.

But without me, there is no team.

Yeah, the teams love your money. In some cases, ticket sales support player payrolls, especially in the NHL, where the television contracts pale in comparison with, say, the massive NFL broadcast rights fees. And, yeah, the 3.1 million fans who came to Wrigley Field last year provided much of the revenue necessary for a payroll that reached nearly $90 million.
Contradict yourself much? Yet another horrible article from a horrible "sports" network. I don't think guys should be going to games and getting ridiculously loaded and dropping f bombs, but I don't have a problem with people booing a poor performance.

It's the unruly fans part that bothers more as I get older. I was never one to be beligerent to begin with. But now, I take my oldest son (going on 5 with two games under his belt) with my dad to see one Red Sox game each season (Father's Day thing). I purposely get Sunday tickets because there is slightly more civility than the Friday night or Saturday afternoon crowd.I wish it didn't get as bad as it has. I appreciate passion for the game just as much as the next guy, but there needs to be limits.Good read. :thumbup:

Contradict yourself much?...I don't think guys should be going to games and getting ridiculously loaded and dropping f bombs, but I don't have a problem with people booing a poor performance.
the fact that you don't see the difference between the two is discouraging

My father decided to take me and my brother to a Dallas Stars game right after Christmas. Because we have never been, he dropped some serious coin for good seats. The last period we get to have a "true" fan that has been drinking too much dropping f-bombs on other fans because we don't want to stand during the last period cheering. The guy stands the whole period blocking our view and making everyone around him miserable. I'm sorry, but I'll stay home rather than spending a couple hundred a ticket for some jerk to piss all over.

maybe mr girly man that wrote the article should stay home and watch it on TV. What a crybaby, also contradicts himself several times.

The referee deserved it. He cost us the game.No referee deserves to be hit in the back of the head with a half-full plastic beer bottle. If caught, the bottle throwers should have to spend five minutes in a very small room with NFL ref/weightlifter Ed Hochuli.
Classic

I used to live in SD and would go see my Seahawks every year there. I've been chased through the parking lot after games by 3 generations of drunken fans, stuff thrown at me etc. I don't wear jerseys to other team's stadiums anymore. It's just hard to get the mustard out. I've been a knock down drunk before and I've yelled at my share of players and refs. But one look from a parent whose kid is within earshot is enough to make me think about what I'm doing. Cuz I'll surely be one wondering wyhy the next generation is so rude (like everyone does when they get old). And I'll know why.

I went to Seahawk Stadium with some friends for a Browns game and my buddy was sporting his old school Browns gear. No probs. Our friend we were staying with wore a #######g Niners hat! No prob. There were posters around the stadium showing a 'Hawk player and a youth with his ears covered reminding people that there are others around. And they announced it on the big screen a couple of times. both my friends said afterwards that it was the classiest experience they've ever had at a game. And I've heard that from others. Not trying to bump up the Seattle fans, even though we are the best, more than anyone else. But it's an example of what the venue can do to convince the fans around us to help keep others in line so we of ALL AGES can enjoy the game.

And BTW, I am not trying to paint the Charger fans in any negative light. Just a few drunks pissed off at a pretty bad call that went the Hawks way and helped them win. The Q (formerly the Murph) in SD is hands down THE BEST PLACE to see a game. There's tailgaters there at 9 am for a 1pm game. Just be careful what jersey you wear!!!

edit: why is f r i c k i n g censored?
Sorry to hear about the problems at the Q. It sucks that there are punks who come to games to get drunk and start fights.

Dude, my ticket pays their salaries. So if I'm dipping into my wallet, I'm ripping into the players and coaches.

Dude, your single-game $32 Cubs ticket doesn't even pay for a shin guard, much less Kerry Wood's $9.5 million salary. So why don't you do us all a favor and suck on a pine-tar rag.

But without me, there is no team.

Yeah, the teams love your money. In some cases, ticket sales support player payrolls, especially in the NHL, where the television contracts pale in comparison with, say, the massive NFL broadcast rights fees. And, yeah, the 3.1 million fans who came to Wrigley Field last year provided much of the revenue necessary for a payroll that reached nearly $90 million.
Contradict yourself much? Yet another horrible article from a horrible "sports" network. I don't think guys should be going to games and getting ridiculously loaded and dropping f bombs, but I don't have a problem with people booing a poor performance.
I agree. A fan has the right to boo as loud as he wants. If it's alright to cheer then it's alright to boo.

I used to live in SD and would go see my Seahawks every year there.  I've been chased through the parking lot after games by 3 generations of drunken fans, stuff thrown at me etc.  I don't wear jerseys to other team's stadiums anymore.  It's just hard to get the mustard out.  I've been a knock down drunk before and I've yelled at my share of players and refs.  But one look from a parent whose kid is within earshot is enough to make me think about what I'm doing.  Cuz I'll surely be one wondering wyhy the next generation is so rude (like everyone does when they get old).  And I'll know why.

I went to Seahawk Stadium with some friends for a Browns game and my buddy was sporting his old school Browns gear.  No probs.  Our friend we were staying with wore a #######g Niners hat!  No prob.  There were posters around the stadium showing a 'Hawk player and a youth with his ears covered reminding people that there are others around.  And they announced it on the big screen a couple of times.  both my friends said afterwards that it was the classiest experience they've ever had at a game.  And I've heard that from others.  Not trying to bump up the Seattle fans, even though we are the best, more than anyone else.  But it's an example of what the venue can do to convince the fans around us to help keep others in line so we of ALL AGES can enjoy the game. 

And BTW, I am not trying to paint the Charger fans in any negative light.  Just a few drunks pissed off at a pretty bad call that went the Hawks way and helped them win.  The Q (formerly the Murph) in SD is hands down THE BEST PLACE to see a game.  There's tailgaters there at 9 am for a 1pm game.  Just be careful what jersey you wear!!!

edit: why is f r i c k i n g censored?
Sorry to hear about the problems at the Q. It sucks that there are punks who come to games to get drunk and start fights.
Problems at the Murf? That sucks, SD is the most laid back place to watch a game. I have been to a few games and the only time I have seen problems is with Broncos fans, and maybe Raiders fans....

Nice compilation of strawman arguments. I don't know anyone who believes in any of these "myths."I don't swear in front of children or block anyone's view or throw things on the field, but I will continue to get hammered at games and heckle opposing players.

I grew up going to Redskins games and then was a Ravens PSL and season ticket owner from 99-03.Don't know if it was just the difference between the two cities or a general coarsening of the culture, but things had really gotten out of hand in the upper deck at Ravens games when I gave up my tickets.When I got the tickets, I thought I would be bringing my son to the games just like my dad took me. I finally gave up the tickets when I realized that I would never take a kid under the age of 12 there and it wasn't worth keeping the tickets for another 5 years.

That wasn't a very good article, but I've learned over the years that every event, sports and otherwise, loses its charm when more people find out about it. Take this board, for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread