What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

10 seconds left in the Half? (1 Viewer)

Chaz McNulty

Footballguy
I was watching the Seahawks/ 49er game and the 49ers had it at the 10 yard line with around 10 seconds left in the first half. Wouldn't it make sense to tell all the defensive backs and safeties to just hold everyone going for a pass? They call the penalty on you and now the 49ers get it first and goal at the 5 yard line with 4 seconds left. This basically forces them to kick a field goal.

I've often wondered why defenses don't do this.

If the refs call PI instead of holding, the 49ers get the ball on the 1 yard line.
If they are in the endzone. If you do a good enough job of holding they shouldn't make it pass the 5.

Even if they get 1st and goal at the 1 yard line with 4 seconds left, I think your in a better situation.

I was watching the Seahawks/ 49er game and the 49ers had it at the 10 yard line with around 10 seconds left in the first half. Wouldn't it make sense to tell all the defensive backs and safeties to just hold everyone going for a pass? They call the penalty on you and now the 49ers get it first and goal at the 5 yard line with 4 seconds left. This basically forces them to kick a field goal.

I've often wondered why defenses don't do this.
When near its goal line, the defense is not allowed to commit repeated or successive penalties to prevent a score. Doing so after a warning will result in the score being awarded to the other team.

So if you wanted to do this, you probably get a warning after doing it the first time if you're being so blatant. It would get the time down to where they have to try the FG... but if your player jumped offside on the FG, the ref could award a score. I imagine it could potentially be a touchdown since you committed the series of penalties in preventing a TD on the previous play.

Last edited by a moderator:
A half-decent NFL defense should be able to stop a team from going 10 yards in one play. Seattle even more so.

Same concept as when the 4th quarter starts and you are up 21, run the ball, then false start like 20 times. The clock keeps running till 2 minutes (maybe it's 5 minutes, not 100% on that).............but yeah, it makes SOME sense, but risking 1st and goal at the 1 though.

Same concept as when the 4th quarter starts and you are up 21, run the ball, then false start like 20 times. The clock keeps running till 2 minutes (maybe it's 5 minutes, not 100% on that).............but yeah, it makes SOME sense, but risking 1st and goal at the 1 though.
If you tried this, I believe it would go down like this.

After the first couple the team would be issued a warning. After the warning if they again had 2 successive penalties on the same down that delay the snap, it would be a personal foul (12-3-1m). If the refs believed it was flagrant then the player would be ejected from the game.

After the first couple the team would be issued a warning. After the warning if they again had 2 successive penalties on the same down that delay the snap, it would be a personal foul (12-3-1m). If the refs believed it was flagrant then the player would be ejected from the game.
How on earth do you know this, has it ever happened??

How on earth do you know this, has it ever happened??
Skimmed the Game Timing section of the NFL rulebook, which referred to the personal foul detailed in 12-3-1m.

Sec 3 Unsportsmanlike Conduct

Art 1: Prohibited Acts: There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

(m) More than two successive delay-of-game penalties (after warning) during the same down.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards... if the infraction is flagrant, the player is also disqualified. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic First Down.

Skimmed the Game Timing section of the NFL rulebook, which referred to the personal foul detailed in 12-3-1m.
It's a good rule, lol. But still, if I am up 21 with like 9 minutes left, I would h ave my guys false start at least once each set of downs.
You definitely could. Though if you do you're probably going 3 and out every possession. You probably run more time off picking up a few first downs instead.

Ok so run the ball. Take two penalties. Run. Take 2 more. Run. Take 2 more. Punt.

That's like almost 6 minutes.

It's a good rule, lol. But still, if I am up 21 with like 9 minutes left, I would h ave my guys false start at least once each set of downs.
You definitely could. Though if you do you're probably going 3 and out every possession. You probably run more time off picking up a few first downs instead.
Yes.............but this way you run the clock for sure instead of possibly going 3 and out.

I guess once you hit 4th down (assuming the clock is running), just false start a couple times then. 10 yards is probably worth the time that would tick off.

Users who are viewing this thread