What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

14 Killed in Shooting in San Bernardino (3 Viewers)

How do these terrorists obtain their firearms?

Honest question: If we hold bartenders and establishments responsible if they over serve a patron who drives off and kills somebody, why can't we punish the people who sell firearms and ammunition to murdering terrorists?
Honest answer - is a bartender is responsible only if they serve a noticeably intoxicated person.

For gun sellers - assuming they run the proper background checks - how are they supposed to identify those with homicidal tendencies?
If only they were running proper background checks.

Right now, the majority of states do not require background checks at gun shows. Also, a large number of states don't submit names of mentally ill into the national database, only 7 states account for 98% of those individuals deemed unable to buy a firearm due to mental illness. Let that sink in. 7 states, 98%. So the remaining 45 states only have 2% of the remaining mentally ill? Not for nothing, but that's how the VA Tech shooter got his gun. He was mentally ill, and declared so 2 years prior to buying a gun and killing 30+ people.

But let's not talk about that. It's not the time or the place.
Why can't this get fixed immediately? Who is against this?
Objectively irrational individuals.

Seems like such an odd place to attack. If your goal is to create terror, going to a place with disabled people isn't really getting the job done. Not that I'm wanting them to attack better places, but think how much terror the Colorado movie theater shooter created for weeks after it took place. Movie theaters all over the world were affected. I just don't see lockdowns and beefed up security coming to other mental institutes.
I agree but maybe it's just very soft target without a threat of return fire maybe? Just spitballing here
I guess.

Suppose this group of guys picks a target where they know they're unlikely to be identified, maybe one that doesn't have security cameras nearby. They show up, kill a bunch of people, and successfully get away. I guess that might be "more" terrifying than attack on a more public place.

Like you, I'm just thinking out loud. This is really baffling.

How about we start two threads when stuff like this happens: One thread to talk about the incident and another thread to talk about the incident AND debate the issues?

I doubt this is international terrorist related (obviously could be wrong). That isn't even good for their propaganda:

We targeted little Jimmy in the wheelchair, he had no chance. We also got a few blind people and someone with cerebral palsy.

This feels like homegrown lunnies to me.
Or.... it shows that they have absolutely NO filter on who and what they will attack.

I'd think that creates more fear in the long run
Paris was a grand slam for their agenda, goals, recruitment. A rock concert, restaurants, a soccer game, etc.

A center for those who are disabled is not. I would venture to say that a target like this would dissuade someone considering joining a terror group.

tells him to put his son on speakerphone...

I hope this woman fails in life... I egt newsreporting, but this woman is taking advtantage of a scared father to get ####ty, relevant news.

CNN by the way, using the feed from KTLA9

Can you old bags move the gun control hand wringing to the gun control thread so those of us looking to follow this incident don't have to step over your garbage?

TIA
You're choosing a fantasy football message board to follow coverage? Talk about garbage.
No TV and the FFA usually does a pretty good job of Aggregating reports from a wide range of news sources, not to mention color from those local to the area.

I browse the usual stuff (twitter/cnn/etc) as well... but poo pooing this place as a good cumulative news source is a bit silly, IMO.

And it doesn't change the fact that there is a Gun Control thread for the hand-wringing and circular debates.
Sorry, but I totally disagree here. It's absolutely relevant and important to discuss whether and how our attitudes towards guns might contribute to the absurd regularity of these incidents. If you don't want to read it you can scroll past the posts that touch on it in a matter of seconds, but people who do want to discuss whether and how we can make this stop (or at least slow down significantly) with changes in laws or policies or attitudes or whatever have every right to talk about it at every opportunity.
Not that easy to scroll through 29 posts per page on a phone about people's agendas regarding gun control when you simply want news and information.

Is it too much to ask to wait a day before cluttering the thread with the debate or just use the gun control thread for discussing gun laws?
Then go to CNN or Fox or any number of dedicated sites to this story. This is a message board chalk full of people with opinions. Some of us are ####### tired of mass shootings and a country that does absolutely nothing to stem the tide of machine guns, assault rifles and all other sorts of mass killing machinery into the hands of the wrong people. We're all pissed off and want it to stop. Don't get all pissy when emotions run high and opinions are vocalized.
:shrug:

This place is like family.

You want to come here and check in on people and make sure people you sort of know are safe.

This thread gets better/quicker updates than CNN/FOX

Sorry for asking just to hold off for a bit while things get hashed out and we're all looking/waiting for info

CNN finally realizes this is disgusting and cuts away from the KTLA feed, to give the man time to speak to his son...

#### you KTLA

Moment of levity on the scanner "Dispatch, can someone call golf course management? There's apparently people out here playing rounds" (They're using the golf course to group up witnesses).

Real time link of whats happening:

https://www.reddit.com/live/w0nn1o5hu90y

12:20 LAPD has info on one of the suspects.

12:22 Three males unknown race.

12:24 Info on one suspect was “run [through PD system] last week”

12:25 School buses arrive to evacuate witnesses

12:25 Civilians sheltering are calling into dispatch

How about we start two threads when stuff like this happens: One thread to talk about the incident and another thread to talk about the incident AND debate the issues?
:goodposting:

I know I'm a complete mope but I get 99% of my "active" news from FBG :bag:

Sad, I know, but it's easier to sort through than twitter, or clicking around to different websites.

The guys who do post the news as it happens with twitter links, live feeds, etc do an awesome job when crap like this happens IMO (and I greatly appreciate it as the internet and technology has passed me by in terms of finding stuff out quickly)

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many lunatics and losers with nothing to live for, nothing will change this. I mean, we should be spending more money on mental illness, but I don't think that will do much more than put a small dent in the problem.
Agree with this although not sure if mental illness played a part

Can you old bags move the gun control hand wringing to the gun control thread so those of us looking to follow this incident don't have to step over your garbage?

TIA
You're choosing a fantasy football message board to follow coverage? Talk about garbage.
No TV and the FFA usually does a pretty good job of Aggregating reports from a wide range of news sources, not to mention color from those local to the area.

I browse the usual stuff (twitter/cnn/etc) as well... but poo pooing this place as a good cumulative news source is a bit silly, IMO.

And it doesn't change the fact that there is a Gun Control thread for the hand-wringing and circular debates.
Sorry, but I totally disagree here. It's absolutely relevant and important to discuss whether and how our attitudes towards guns might contribute to the absurd regularity of these incidents. If you don't want to read it you can scroll past the posts that touch on it in a matter of seconds, but people who do want to discuss whether and how we can make this stop (or at least slow down significantly) with changes in laws or policies or attitudes or whatever have every right to talk about it at every opportunity.
Not that easy to scroll through 29 posts per page on a phone about people's agendas regarding gun control when you simply want news and information.

Is it too much to ask to wait a day before cluttering the thread with the debate or just use the gun control thread for discussing gun laws?
Then go to CNN or Fox or any number of dedicated sites to this story. This is a message board chalk full of people with opinions. Some of us are ####### tired of mass shootings and a country that does absolutely nothing to stem the tide of machine guns, assault rifles and all other sorts of mass killing machinery into the hands of the wrong people. We're all pissed off and want it to stop. Don't get all pissy when emotions run high and opinions are vocalized.

You want to come here and check in on people and make sure people you sort of know are safe.

Sorry for asking just to hold off for a bit while things get hashed out and we're all looking/waiting for info
Pretty much what I was trying to say, but better.

I know I'm a complete mope but I get 99% of my "active" news from FBG :bag:

Sad, I know, but it's easier to sort through than twitter, or clicking around to different websites.

The guys who do post the news as it happens with twitter links, live feeds, etc do an awesome job when crap like this happens IMO.

I really wish we could stop debating about whether we can debate about gun control in this thread. This is where I come for my info on the shooting and gun control debate. Not a debate about gun control debate.

Too many lunatics and losers with nothing to live for, nothing will change this. I mean, we should be spending more money on mental illness, but I don't think that will do much more than put a small dent in the problem.
Agree with this although not sure if mental illness played a part
There are different degrees of mental illness. Id wager that most people feel these things fall into the category somewhere. You cant be sane and do something like this.

From Jester#UPDATE CONFIRMED 3x SHOOTERS - BODY ARMOR, AND TACTICAL GEAR THOUGHT TO BE AWAY IN BLACK FULLSIZE GMC, STOCK RIMS. . :lmao:

2:49pm - 2 Dec 15

Glad he could lighten it up a bit
I don't get the joke- but how can you find something about this amusing right now anyhow?
Jesus Christ asswipe there is nothing funny about the shooting , it was the tweet , stock rims . Cripes what a blowhard.
You know what? You're right. This situation is freaking me out even beyond what it normally does because I'm so familiar with the area. I'm being emotional and I apologize.

Seems like such an odd place to attack. If your goal is to create terror, going to a place with disabled people isn't really getting the job done. Not that I'm wanting them to attack better places, but think how much terror the Colorado movie theater shooter created for weeks after it took place. Movie theaters all over the world were affected. I just don't see lockdowns and beefed up security coming to other mental institutes.
If a terrorist group really wanted the create a sense of fear in a populace then what better way than purely random killings? Remember the D.C. sniper shootings? It took three weeks to track down the perpetrators. Islamic jihadists, for example, need no more rationale other than most Americans are kafir in order to justify murder in their minds. It's been a concern of mine for many years that they would opt for that route instead of choosing more sensational attacks with a political message. I hope we aren't now witnessing a change in strategy.

[SIZE=1em]Report of one person detained. I am unsure if related to incident... Will update as soon as I know.[/SIZE]
/u/ctaggie

Edit: from reddit still unconfirmed..

TIA

It's also a bit ironic that we can't come to a fantasy football message board for news updates, but it's OK to come to a fantasy football message board to discuss gun laws. :shrug:

Everyone's on edge - lets hug it out. :wub:

I really just want to go live in the mountains with my family. No wonder I never want to leave my house anymore or take my daughter places anymore.

I'm not left or roght or whatever that I know of but the whole everyone should have guns seems outdated to me.

From Jester#UPDATE CONFIRMED 3x SHOOTERS - BODY ARMOR, AND TACTICAL GEAR THOUGHT TO BE AWAY IN BLACK FULLSIZE GMC, STOCK RIMS. . :lmao:

2:49pm - 2 Dec 15

Glad he could lighten it up a bit
I don't get the joke- but how can you find something about this amusing right now anyhow?
Jesus Christ asswipe there is nothing funny about the shooting , it was the tweet , stock rims . Cripes what a blowhard.
You know what? You're right. This situation is freaking me out even beyond what it normally does because I'm so familiar with the area. I'm being emotional and I apologize.
I apologize for losing it in my response

I really just want to go live in the mountains with my family. No wonder I never want to leave my house anymore or take my daughter places anymore.

I'm not left or roght or whatever that I know of but the whole everyone should have guns seems outdated to me.
Fear drives the need for guns. People are afraid and guns make them think they are in control but they still are not.

Say they hypothetically detained one of the shooters (as some are reporting), would anyone be against immediate torture to identify the others and where they may be?

I agree but maybe it's just very soft target without a threat of return fire maybe? Just spitballing here
I guess.

Suppose this group of guys picks a target where they know they're unlikely to be identified, maybe one that doesn't have security cameras nearby. They show up, kill a bunch of people, and successfully get away. I guess that might be "more" terrifying than attack on a more public place.

Seems like these courageous shhoters always pick the hard targets like gun free schools etc...

I really wish we could stop debating about whether we can debate about gun control in this thread. This is where I come for my info on the shooting and gun control debate. Not a debate about gun control debate.
Stop debating about stopping people from debating about whether we can debate about gun control in this thread imo.

I guess.

Seems like these courageous shhoters always pick the hard targets like gun free schools etc...
And?

new shootings in the city?

victims being reported throughout the city now on the radio

ohhhh ####

(unless Im misunderstanding the radio chatter... may be the streets around the building)

suspect was county employee who left and then came back they think, per scanner

note: witness says the guy matches description, may be nothing

It is still mind boggling to me that police scanners are public. There's 85k people listening to the one I'm on and they just read a witness name and driver's license number over the air. Witness said he had a name and rough age of possible suspect who was at the Center "acting weird", left 20-30 mins before shooting, matches description of shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread