What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1979 The Next 100 Songs #1. The Wait - The Pretenders (1 Viewer)

Chrissie doesn't give much away but she mentioned that this was about Farndon.  When she started the band it was Pete Farndon and Chrissie Hynde.  They began sleeping together soon thereafter.  Chrissie moved on to Ray Davies and would shove that relationship in the face of Farndon who developed a heroine addiction and he started to become belligerent to the point that James Honey-man Scott issued an ultimatum to Hynde to fire Pete from the band, she did.

Two days later he was dead from a drug overdose, not Farndon but James Honey-Man Scott.  They were doing a show in Denver, I had just moved to Colorado a few weeks earlier.  I wasn't into the Pretenders at that time but friends of mine were and told me about Farndon being fired and Honey-Man Scott's over dose.  Farndon died less than two years after Honey-Man Scott of a drug overdose.  Hynde said that she carried on with the Pretenders to honor Scott and Farndon.  I think she blames herself and I used to agree with her but doing research into the group for this list it is evident that James was on a path of destruction, that much I am certain.  

I wasn't going to do this list because this year is not deep until I saw that I had the Pretenders first album. 

This may be my favorite Pretenders song and my top choice for the best song of 1979.

Released 27 December 1979

Great thread, very much appreciate the effort put into it.

These songs would all have been in my top 200 for 1979:

• I'm Gonna Crawl - Led Zeppelin
  • In the Evening - Led Zeppelin
  • Carouselambra - Led Zeppelin
  • Goodbye Blue Sky - Pink Floyd
  • Nobody Home - Pink Floyd
  • Once Upon a Time in the West - Dire Straits
  • Where Do You Think You're Going? - Dire Straits
  • Lady Writer - Dire Straits
  • Dangerous Type - The Cars
  • Don't Bring Me Down - ELO
  • Lonesome Loser - Little River Band
Picking Water of Love over every song on the Dire Straits album Communique seems like an odd choice to me.

Including zero Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd songs in the second 100 (but including 6 Pretenders songs) also seems odd.

But that's just my taste. Enjoyed it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff. Would this have been #1 even if you had all of Tim's list available to you? 
Obviously I have this number one for my list so going over Tim's list, let me see.  

He had a ton of great songs to choose from and more than a few would have been high in my list if I was able to pick them about the only one I would seriously consider over 'The Wait' would be 'Dance The Night Away' by Van Halen.  

I know my pick is self indulgent but I am glad Tim picked pretty much every tune off of 'The Wall' because I truly despise that album.  I love Pink Floyd but hate 'The Wall' with a festering passion because it was the song of my graduating class in high school and it not only got played into ground it got played into dust.  Having it shoved down my throat gives me a dry-heaves response.  I truly-deeply hate 'The Wall' but I'm well aware of how others slather over it which makes me hate it even more. 

Great thread, very much appreciate the effort put into it.

These songs would all have been in my top 200 for 1979:

• I'm Gonna Crawl - Led Zeppelin
  • In the Evening - Led Zeppelin
  • Carouselambra - Led Zeppelin
  • Goodbye Blue Sky - Pink Floyd
  • Nobody Home - Pink Floyd
  • Once Upon a Time in the West - Dire Straits
  • Where Do You Think You're Going? - Dire Straits
  • Lady Writer - Dire Straits
  • Dangerous Type - The Cars
  • Don't Bring Me Down - ELO
  • Lonesome Loser - Little River Band
Picking Water of Love over every song on the Dire Straits album Communique seems like an odd choice to me.

Including zero Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd songs in the second 100 (but including 6 Pretenders songs) also seems odd.

But that's just my taste. Enjoyed it!
I'm not a guy who goes deep on Led Zeppelin.  They were another group that got played into the dirt and by people who I didn't care for so it took me years to get over that to the point I could enjoy them but I wasn't soo deep into them that I just liked everything.

I've covered my disdain of 'The Wall'.

'Once Upon A Time' was never a fav and I love Dire Straits and I prefer 'Water Of Love' over 'Lady Writer'.

'Dangerous Type' is Ocasek and he needs a boost from production to make his vocals 'passable' and on that tune it opens highlighting his weak vocals, the lyrics are uninspired, nothing of interest with the guitars, and the synthesizer work on that one sounds like a garage band.

ELO could have slid into the end of the list.  Lonesome Loser would have made it to the middle but 79 is not a good year for music.  I had that one and for some reason I took it off.  I love 'Cool Change' a lot so I wouldn't have been ranked higher than where I had that one.  

As far as 6 Pretenders songs I had originally crossed 'Precious' off the list but for some reason found myself one song shy.  Possibly because I missed one of Tim's songs and had to cut one out and never replaced it so I only had 5 Pretenders songs and I stick by that.  

It took me years to understand how good that band was and why it self destructed.  If they could have held it together, they had everything to take over the punk and new wave and R&R crowds of the early 80s and their wasn't a band that had that power at the time.  

The Cars got watered down with weak Ocasek tunes.  The Stones/Who/etc. were in their lane.  The guitar big band classic sound of the 70s wasn't really getting replaced other than U2 in the 80s and they were a few years into the 80s before they really became big.  Their was nothing like the Pretenders.  Joan Jett?  Kinda of over the top. 

Hynde wasn't playing a brooding rocker she is the real thing.  Her voice has range that is under rated.  Her song writing ability is amazing.  What she had going with Farndon and Honey-Man Scott...  James got really good in a short period of time.  He was only 22 when they began and 24 when he died.  In that time he developed a style that people today are still influenced by and say how much of an effect he had.  

Rolling Stone put out an in-depth article on Hynde just last a few weeks ago, she's almost 70 and years old and is still getting cover stories in Rolling Stone.  I saw something saying the original group was on a Beatles/Stones trajectory before they disintegrated and I don't think that is hyperbole.  

JULY 17, 2020 10:04AM ET The Unsinkable Chrissie Hynde

How odd. I was playing the Pretenders's eponymous yesterday on Spotify. This is a lot of Pretenders in the countdown. I've always liked their radio-friendly hits and known songs, but never dove deeply into their albums. I suppose I won't be disappointed if I do.

The list got odd with all the Pretenders love but this is Bracies list and not mine.     It was great thread to follow.  

A few honorable mentions came to mind over the last couple of days (that probably should have been included in these 200 songs :whistle: )....

From Joy Division:

She's Lost Control

Transmission (this is great all time tune, much less '79)

Roxy Music Angel Eyes - the original and the disco.

Herb Alpert - Rise

I know it's pure ez listening but this is about as smooth as it gets. I mean, this is poolside/seaside on a perfect summer day with a drink...

A few honorable mentions came to mind over the last couple of days (that probably should have been included in these 200 songs :whistle: )....

From Joy Division:

She's Lost Control

Transmission (this is great all time tune, much less '79)

Roxy Music Angel Eyes - the original and the disco.

Herb Alpert - Rise

I know it's pure ez listening but this is about as smooth as it gets. I mean, this is poolside/seaside on a perfect summer day with a drink...
Not as big on Joy Division but 'kinda' like their biggie Love Will Tear Us Apart

Roxy is fantastic.  I didn't realize they had a disco version of that tune. 

I chose my tune because of memories of slow dancing with an absolute sweetheart to 'Dance Away' and just prefer it.

I had Rise by Herb Albert but I had so much Adult Contemporary and Soft Rock and Disco that I didn't want to put in cross over jazz but I like that one a lot.

In June 1979, a man using the pseudonym Robert C. Christian approached the Elberton Granite Finishing Company on behalf of "a small group of loyal Americans", and commissioned the structure. Christian explained that the stones would function as a compass, calendar, and clock, and should be capable of withstanding catastrophic events. Joe Fendley of Elberton Granite assumed that Christian was "a nut" and attempted to discourage him by giving a quote several times higher than any project the company had taken, explaining that the guidestones would require additional tools and consultants. Christian accepted the quote.[2] When arranging payment, Christian explained that he represented a group which had been planning the guidestones for 20 years, and which intended to remain anonymous.[2]

Christian delivered a scale model of the guidestones and ten pages of specifications.
BREAKING NEWS!

WATCH: Person leaving explosives at Georgia Guidestones caught on camera

Amanda Shaw - 2h ago

...investigators say an explosion around 4 a.m. destroyed one of the granite slabs.

The rest of the controversial Guidestones were demolished because GBI says their Explosive Ordnance Disposal unit determined the structure was unsafe.

Users who are viewing this thread