What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 1980's One Hit Wonders . . .​​​​ #1 - LIPPS, INC. - Funkytown *** (1 Viewer)

What source to you use for easy chart lookup? I used to use Allmusic, but they seemed to make their site more convoluted.
Billboard Site

If you go to where it says "The Week Of", in the drop down menu, you can enter a date and it will show the Hot 100 chart from that week. From there you can look at the week before or the week after.

JOHN HUNTER - Tragedy (#39 - 2/16/1985)
How well I remember it: 3 (I remember the piano chords but not much else.)
How well I liked it then: 4 (Don't remember turning it off when it came on.)
How well I like it now: 5 (It has more guitar then I remember.)

Another artist with a Wikipage that would fit on a napkin. He had two solo albums and apparently was the founding member of a band called The Hounds (who I never heard of), who also put out 2 albums. Found this from The Hounds, which doesn't sound too bad.

Will start posting more songs and a bit fewer tidbits as I will run out of stories long before we run out of songs.

GRAHAM PARKER & THE SHOT - Wake Up (Next To You) (#39 - 6/22/1985)
How well I remember it: 2 (Not that well actually.)
How well I liked it then: 3 (Thought it was rather plain.)
How well I like it now: 2 (Never was a huge Graham Parker fan.)

Graham Parker falls into that category of long time artists that put out a ton of material but not a lot of singles. Between The Rumour, The Shot, The Figgs, The Goldtopps, and solo albums, Parker has released 23 studio albums and 21 live albums. Certainly he has had a lot of success over 43 years and is not really the intent behind having a One Hit Wonder thread.

ZIGGY MARLEY & THE MELODY MAKERS - Tomorrow People (#39 - 7/9/1988)
How well I remember it: 7 (Was big on campus when I was in college.)
How well I liked it then: 5 (Didn't love it or hate it..)
How well I like it now: 4 (If I were to listen to a reggae song or a Marley, it wouldn't be this one.)

Ziggy falls into the same category as Graham Parker. I believe he has put out 21 total albums (studio and live). His father released 15 (which is more than I would have guessed). I am a little surprised that Ziggy only had one song that charted, but then again I can't remember many other Ziggy songs.

NIELSEN / PEARSON - If You Should Sail (#38 - 11/22/1980)
How well I remember it: 1 (An adult contemporary song and a 14 year old kid?.)
How well I liked it then: 1 (I'll pass.)
How well I like it now: 1 (I'll still pass.)

We head into the #38 songs. These guys put out 3 albums from 1978 - 1983. Not much to really distinguish them or their sound. Maybe a cross between the Doobie Brothers, Ambrosia, and Player. If I don't remember this song, I doubt many others will.

CHARLIE - It's Inevitable (#38 - 8/13/1983)
How well I remember it: 7 (I remember the guitar riff and the video.)
How well I liked it then: 8 (I remember the video being a fave in the MTV rotation.)
How well I like it now: 8 (Seems to hold up well.)

Charlie put out 8 albums in their initial run from 1976 - 1986, 4 of which cracked the Billboard Top 200. Don't remember much from them other than that one song.

FACE TO FACE - 10 - 9 - 8 (#38 - 7/28/1984)
How well I remember it: 3 (I can't say I remember it, but it was on my hard drive.)
How well I liked it then: 4 (I vaguely remember thinking the video was ok.)
How well I like it now: 3.5 (Could take it or leave it. Mostly leave it.)

Hmmm. These guys apparently came from New Hampshire (where I live now) but I really don't remember much about them.They put out 3 albums over 5 years and had a song on the Jumpin' Jack Flash soundtrack. The band included Angelo Petraglia, who went on to write / produce / collaborate with Kings Of Leon.

That's it for today . . . but tomorrow we ask . . . what is, what is, what is Ronald Reagan's plan?

(Three of the next four songs stand a decent chance of having more recognition.)

Last edited by a moderator:
:wub:

This was my era of music and I was a record store nerd growing up....even still, don't know most of these. Love hearing them and the stories. This thread went a totally different and amazing direction than I expected- great work, anarchy!

The other thing that most people won't remember is that back in the day, people could go to stores and not pay for anything at the point of purchase. Most local residents had accounts and would sign essentially an IOU and at the end of the month the store would send out a statement for that month's purchases.

So Newman sauntered up (he was mostly shy and reserved), put out his grocery items, and a girl rang them all up. When she was done, he told her to just put it on his account and he started to leave. She said he had to fill out the form first and she needed to know what name to list it under. He whispered softly that the name was Newman . . . and she asked if that was with a U or a W. He said with a W and started to leave. Once again, she stopped him and said he had to sign the paper (which he did).
Reminds me of my Woolworth's account... 

...till I got kicked out fer good.

☹️

ARTISTS AGAINST APARTHEID - Sun City (#38 - 12/14/1985)
How well I remember it: 10 (It was a staple on MTV.)
How well I liked it then: 6 (A bit long and repetitive.)
How well I like it now: 6 (Will listen to it on shuffle play but won't seek it out.)

A varied collection of superstars and a few less established performers put together by Little Steven to protest the political and social climate in South Africa. Some of the 54 artists that participated included Bruce Springsteen, Bono, Peter Gabriel, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan, Run-D.M.C., Lou Reed, Bonnie Raitt, Bono, Keith Richards, Jackson Browne, Pat Benatar, Ringo Starr, and Hall & Oates.

The song got lukewarm reception or did not get played much on radio airwaves, as some stations felt it was too critical of President Ronald Reagan. It became one of the closing numbers on the brief Conspiracy of Hope tour for Amnesty International in the summer of 1986. Those shows were headlined by U2, Sting, and Bryan Adams and also featured Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed, Joan Baez, and The Neville Brothers. The last three shows featured a reunion of The Police.

Most of the artists held true to the spirit of the song and never performed in South Africa after the song was recorded. However, U2 (5 times), Bruce Springsteen (4 times), Peter Gabriel (3 times), the Rolling Stones (twice) and Jackson Browne (once) played there at some point after the fact.

A few weeks later, the Space Shuttle Challenger would explode shortly after launch. I remember it well, as I had the day off and just switched over from MTV (which had just played the Sun City video) to watch the ill fated Space Shuttle launch.

BOURGEOIS TAGG - I Don't Mind (#38 - 12/5/1987)
How well I remember it: 10 (It still gets played a ton where I live.)
How well I liked it then: 7 (Well crafted song.)
How well I like it now: 6 (Still a good song, just a little too mellow for my liking.)

This song gets played all the time where I live. Adult contemporary stations, pop stations, at the mall, etc. So much so, that I had completely forgotten that it was an 80's song. I would have guessed late 90's or early 2000's.

Bourgeois Tagg was a duo of Brent Bourgeois and Larry Tagg. They put out two albums. Bourgeois went on to a solo career focused on spiritual / Christian music. Tagg went on to become a high school English teacher and wrote several books on Abraham Lincoln. Apparently there isn't always good money in being a OHW.

BOURGEOIS TAGG - I Don't Mind (#38 - 12/5/1987)
How well I remember it: 10 (It still gets played a ton where I live.)
How well I liked it then: 7 (Well crafted song.)
How well I like it now: 6 (Still a good song, just a little too mellow for my liking.)

This song gets played all the time where I live. Adult contemporary stations, pop stations, at the mall, etc. So much so, that I had completely forgotten that it was an 80's song. I would have guessed late 90's or early 2000's.

Bourgeois Tagg was a duo of Brent Bourgeois and Larry Tagg. They put out two albums. Bourgeois went on to a solo career focused on spiritual / Christian music. Tagg went on to become a high school English teacher and wrote several books on Abraham Lincoln. Apparently there isn't always good money in being a OHW.
Not in Spotify.

THE DAN REED NETWORK - Ritual (#38 - 5/17/1988)
How well I remember it: 5 (It sounds familiar.)
How well I liked it then: 6 (Decent enough.)
How well I like it now: 6 (Again, it's in my collection and I don't scramble to turn it off when in comes on.)

Dan Reed somehow managed to bang out 17 albums / EP's / and live albums including an anthology set, so he must have been able to make a decent living. Listed as a funk rock band, the group had a blend of ballads, funk fusion, and rock from what I can tell.

Up next is a song that most people will know and a crazy story, so that should spark a little more conversation . . .

Not sure where you are seeing this?
On my desktop, when I go to Spotify there is a search option in a column on the left. If you type in "Bourgeois Tagg" in the search bar, the results yield "I Don't Mind At All - Bourgeois Tagg" in the Playlist section attributed to mobs47. Clicking on the playlist, it's the first track listed.

Like I said, I don't use Spotify, so I have no idea . . . but is there a way to add a song from someone else's play list on to a different playlist?

ROB BASE & D.J. E-Z ROCK - It Takes Two (#38 - 10/29/1988)
How well I remember it: 10 (Who doesn't know this song?.)
How well I liked it then: 10 (Party club song of the day.)
How well I like it now: 10 (It is impossible to sit still when this song is on. I defy people to listen to it and not start moving around.)

What should be the first universally known song on the list. I mean really, if you haven't heard this one before you live under a rock. There are people that rank this as the greatest hip-hop song of all time. It's been sampled in 20+ other songs.

Anarchy the person at the time was a blend of John Cusack from The Sure ThingJason Biggs from American Pie, and Ed Helms from The Hangover. 99.999% of the time I am quiet and pretty reserved. But that other 0.001% . . . 

In almost everyone's life, at some point there is a night of unbridled drunkenness, stupidity, and debauchery . . . a What Happens In Vegas Stays In Vegas kind of a night. Well, this is one of those stories where Anarchy went totally off the rails, off the chain, and off the reservation.

Our story starts at an apartment on campus (all girls). One of the things I am not proud of in that time frame was pretending not to know how to play Tetris, challenging a female to a game, making a bet on who would win, and basically getting them to go out on a date if I beat them. If they won, I promised to help them with their homework, a project, or something along those lines. I made such a bet on that particular day, beat a girl in Tetris (or should I say "young woman" since that is more PC these days), and she invited me to a party that night. I didn't know her very well, but I thought she was also pretty quiet, laid back, and reserved.

At the party, I had a few shots of liquid courage and started having a good time. I got pretty loud, started telling jokes, told some funny stories, did some impressions, etc. and pretty much took over the conversation. Also known as I let my hair down. About this time in the proceedings, I had an urge . . . a premonition if you will, that for some unknown reason, I KNEW that I could throw a nickel across a roomful of people into a drink all the way across the room that was sitting on a table. Don't ask me why a felt that, but alcohol makes you thing strange things.

I was in the zone and just knew I could do it. To anyone that has played sports, there are times when you are just on fire and you know you can't miss. I played baseball and there were times I just knew I was going to hit a home run. There were times playing basketball I just knew I would make every shot and could hit 10 or 12 shots in a row as far as 30 feet away. This was such a moment.

This got talked up over and over and I started making bets and people started making side bets as to whether I could actually do it. People were giving odds and wanted to know how many tries I wanted (ie, make it within 3 attempts). By this point, I was probably at Stage II in Larry Miller's Five Stages Of Drinking bit and spent 20 minutes arguing against artificial turf. I was feeling no pain and took all the bets. With an entire party of people watching, I proceeded to launch the nickel from 30 feet away. Release . . . rotation . . . SPLASH. On the first try.

At this point, Tetris girl asked me to help her get some food from a different apartment, so we briefly left the party. We were both a little tipsy, she started flirting with me and pinned me against a refrigerator, and she asked how many other girls I had pulled the Tetris maneuver on. Then she asked me how long had it been since I last, well, you know (sorry . . . this place is PG now). Without any hesitation, I uttered perhaps one of my best lines of all time . . . "In 10 minutes, the answer will be 5 minutes ago." Use your imagination from there.

We went back to the party and I was feeling no pain. Lots more alcohol is consumed. The rest gets blurry. At some point, the party at school got broken up, so we moved the party off campus. We were at the home of one of the rich kids from school with a killer sound system. YOUNG MC - Bust A Move (which I was surprised didn't qualify as a OHW) came on and I jumped on the kitchen counter and started dancing and singing with a bottle of rum in one hand and scotch in the other. It Takes Two came on next and I apparently went nuts and started dancing on top of a grand piano and led the charge in everyone going nuts.

After getting high fived by a bunch of people for getting people even more pumped up (the place was hot and packed), I needed to get some air and went outside to their pool . . . to find Tetris girl performing intimate acts with more than one person at a time and getting cheered on by like 100 people. That was my last quasi-sober moment that I can remember.

The next day like noon I remember waking up at a different house in someone's basement in a pile of clothes in the closet of someone's laundry room. A scantily clad young woman had come in to do a load of laundry. I asked her where I was. She helped me up and gave me a giant hug and a kiss and said I was an absolute wild man. She was wearing an unbuttoned men's button down shirt and nothing else. A minute later, the garage door opened and a car drove it. Seconds later she introduced me to her fiance. The whole things was barely even a blur (and will be continued in the next write up).

Will get back to the story when I get a chance . . . will quickly bang out some other songs.

RODNEY CROWELL - Ashes By Now (#37 - 7/5/1980)
Don't remember it.

EMMYLOU HARRIS - Mister Sandman (#37 - 4/25/1981)
She's been around since the late 60's . . . and her only charting single is a remake?

T.G. SHEPPARD - I Loved 'Em Everyone (#37 - 5/16/1981)
I remember it and probably haven't heard it in decades.

CHRIS CHRISTIAN - I Want You, I Need You (#37 - 11/21/1981)
Was not aware one of Charlie's Angels sang back up.

EYE TO EYE - Nice Girls (#37 - 7/24/1982)
Don't remember this one all that much.

Anarchy99 said:
Will get back to the story when I get a chance . . . will quickly bang out some other songs.

Don't remember it.

She's been around since the late 60's . . . and her only charting single is a remake?

Seeing this is actually a relief. I legitimately thought you were going to try to come up with 275 separate stories for this list. And we can’t have you burning out on us before we even hit the top 10.

Anarchy99 said:

Don't remember it.

Emmylou Harris’ stuff is so great.  She is a skilled songwriter and performer.  I recommend checking her out.

CHANGE - A Lover's Holiday (#40 - 7/19/1980)
RAINBOW - Stone Cold (#40 - 6/19/1982)
JOYCE KENNEDY & JEFFREY OSBOURNE - The Last Time I Made Love (#40 - 10/6/1984)
THE COMMUNARDS - Don't Leave Me This Way (#40 - 3/7/1987)
SPIDER - New Romance (It's A Mystery)(#39 - 6/7/1980)
GET WET - Just So Lonely (#39 - 5/30/1981)
POINT BLANK - Nicole (#39 - 9/5/1981)
PRISM - Don't Let Him Know (#39 - 3/12/1982)
CHERI - Murphy's Law (#39 - 6/5/1982)
VANDENBERG - Burning Heart (#39 - 3/12/1983)
N/A - JOHN HUNTER - Tragedy (#39 - 2/16/1985)
GRAHAM PARKER & THE SHOT - Wake Up (Next To You) (#39 - 6/22/1985)
ZIGGY MARLEY & THE MELODY MAKERS - Tomorrow People (#39 - 7/9/1988)
NIELSEN / PEARSON - If You Should Sail (#38 - 11/22/1980)
CHARLIE - It's Inevitable (#38 - 8/13/1983)
FACE TO FACE - 10 - 9 - 8 (#38 - 7/28/1984)
ARTISTS AGAINST APARTHEID - Sun City (#38 - 12/14/1985)
N/A - BOURGEOIS TAGG - I Don't Mind (#38 - 12/5/1987)
THE DAN REED NETWORK - Ritual (#38 - 5/17/1988)
ROB BASE & D.J. E-Z ROCK - It Takes Two (#38 - 10/29/1988)
RODNEY CROWELL - Ashes By Now (#37 - 7/5/1980)
N/A - CHRIS CHRISTIAN - I Want You, I Need You (#37 - 11/21/1981)
HAIRCUT 100 - Love Plus One (#37 - 8/7/1982)
TANE CANE - Holdin' On (#37 - 9/18/1982)
ICICLE WORKS - Birds Fly (Whisper To A Scream) (#37 - 6/9/1984)
THE MODELS - Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight (#37 - 6/21/1986)
DAVID & DAVID - Welcome To The Boomtown (11/29/1986)
Updated. Chris Christian not available.

https://open.spotify.com/user/netnautx/playlist/2Xn7lvK8juIBMX7zbz07XW?si=kHDMGv3LRwqGukmgnSzAXA

Last edited by a moderator:
DAVID LASLEY - If I Had My Wish Tonight (#36 - 5/1/1982)
Probably not even worth a click.

MARSHALL CRENSHAW - Someday, Someway (#36 - 8/28/1982)
Still listen to this one all the day.

PIA ZADORA - The Clapping Song (#36 - 2/19/1983)
A remake from the mid-60's by a woman who was part singer, part actress, and never a huge star at either.

MARTIN BRILEY - The Salt In My Tears (#36 - 7/30/1983)
One of my favorite 80's songs. It made all my spite filled mixed tapes after many negative outcomes with the other gender.

JOBOXERS - Just Got Lucky (#36 - 11/19/1983)
I still hear this one every few months.

SAM HARRIS - Sugar Don't Bite (#36 - 11/10/1984)
Don't remember much about this one.

JENNIFER RUSH WITH ELTON JOHN - Flames Of Paradise (7/11/1987)
I am guessing she would be even more less known without this duet with Sir Elton.

THE KANE GANG - Motortown (#36 - 12/19/1987)
Vaguely remember the choris.

BARDEUX - When We Kiss (6/4/1988)
Don't remember it. Not even a little bit.

ROMEO VOID - A Girl In Trouble (Is A Temporary Thing) (#35 - 10/27/1984)
Decent song, but surprised their other (much better) hit didn't chart . . .

Never Say Never

Users who are viewing this thread