What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2001 Miami Hurricanes Roster (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
My friend forwarded this to me and it blew my mind. The talent on the 2001 Miami Hurricanes roster must be the best ever. And I can't imagine it's even close. Is there any team that can rival this? I mean, you could honestly assemble a team right now with these players and they would be a Super Bowl contender -- and that's with Dorsey at QB!

Code:
Name	Position	ClassDaryl Jones	WR	SrWillis McGahee	RB	FrJason Geathers	WR	SoNajeh Davenport	RB	SrAndre Johnson	WR	SoAntrel Rolle	CB	FrEthenic Sands	WR	JrMike Rumph	CB	SrKevin Beard	WR	SoKen Dorsey	QB	JrJair Clarke	CB	FrNate Smith	WR	SoFreddie Capshaw	P	JrDan Lundy	K	SoBuck Ortega	QB	FrTodd Sievers	K	JrDJ Williams	LB	SoDerrick Crudup	QB	FrTroy Prasek	QB	JrEdward Reed	S	SrJermell Weaver	S	SoKelly Jennings	CB	FrJames Lewis	CB	SrMarcus Maxey	CB	FrAlphonso Marshall	CB	FrSean Taylor	CB	FrMarkese Fitzgerald	CB	SrClinton Portis	RB	JrJames Scott	CB	JrAlex Duk	WR	FrJeff Malley	DB	FrJovonny Ward	DB	FrPhillip Buchanon	CB	JrFrank Gore	RB	FrMark Gent	K	FrJarrett Payton	RB	SoQuadtrine Hill	RB	FrMaurice Sikes	CB	SoJean Leone	DB	FrCarl Walker	CB	SoLaVaar Scott	LB	JrKyle Cobia	RB	FrFrank Bayless	FB	SoJarvis Gray	DT	SoLeon Williams	LB	FrHoward Clark	LB	JrMichael Langley	CB	FrKen Dangerfiel	LB	JrChris Campbell	LB	SrDarrell McClover	LB	SoRoger McIntosh	LB	FrJonathan Vilma	LB	SoSteve Adzima	OL	FrTariq Vlaun	OL	SoJames Sikora	G	SoAlex Garcia	OL	FrJamal Green	DE	JrSantonio Thomas	DE	SoJavon Nanton	LB	FrJerrell Weaver	LB	SoBrad Kunz	G	FrVernon Carey	T	SoToney Tella	G	FrChris Harvey	S	SoScott Puckett	G	SrRashad Butler	G	FrMartin Bibla	T	SrBrett Romberg	G	JrJoe McGrath	T	SoJoe Fantigrass	T	JrKyle Morgan	DL	FrJoel Rodriguez	G	FrJim Wilson	G	JrEd Wilkins	T	JrJoaquin Gonzalez	G	SrSherko Haji-Rasou	T	JrVince Wilfork	DE	FrCarlos Joseph	G	SoChris Myers	G	FrBryant McKinnie	G	SrRobert Bergman	OL	FrRobert Williams	TE	SrKellen Winslow	WR	FrDavid Williams	TE	FrAaron Greeno	TE	SoRoscoe Parrish	WR	FrEnnis Crafton	TE	JrBrandon Sebald	TE	FrKevin Everett	TE	FrJeremy Shockey	TE	JrThomas Carroll	DE	FrMatt Walters	DT	JrOrien Harris	DE	FrJohn Square	DE	FrWilliam Joseph	DE	JrJerome McDougle	DE	JrMiguel Robede	DE	FrLarry Anderson	DT	SoCornelius Green	DE	SrAndrew Williams	DE	Jr

Last edited by a moderator:
tombonneau said:
I mean, you could honestly assemble a team right now with these players and they would be a Super Bowl contender -- and that's with Dorsey at QB!
No.

didnt this team lose to Ohio state? or was that the next season?
There was a really bad PI call in the end zone that basically gave the game away.
that was in overtime right? should the greatest team ever not need overtime to beat a Big 10 school?
oof.
they were'nt only playing OSU, it was against the refs too...also where did it say the best college team ever??? :lmao:

There was a really bad PI call in the end zone that basically gave the game away.
that was in overtime right? should the greatest team ever not need overtime to beat a Big 10 school?
I don't think it was the greatest team ever; but I think it's the greatest collection of NFL talent on one college team.Maybe there is another roster to rival it, but I haven't seen it.

I don't think it was the greatest team ever; but I think it's the greatest collection of NFL talent on one college team.Maybe there is another roster to rival it, but I haven't seen it.
:whistle: Plus it's easy to overlook that this includes the freshman and sophomores. Portis, McGahee and Gore were in different classes. They weren't all ready to dominate in this sample year.It helps explain why Miami as a team dominated for a decade, but the OP is reading too much into it.I suspect that a pretty impressive team could be made from several Ohio State, Texas, Florida and and USC rosters as well.

Ohio State beat Miami in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl (2002 BCS Championship Game). This 2001 Miami team crushed Nebraska for the title in the Rose Bowl.

Ohio State beat Miami in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl (2002 BCS Championship Game). This 2001 Miami team crushed Nebraska for the title in the Rose Bowl.
wow I didn't know that fact... :confused: :lmao: :lmao: :rolleyes:also minus 5 first round draft picksget the facts straight.....

Speaking of USC, (and I bear absolutely no love for the Trojans, but you HAVE to respect the hell out of that Football Program):

Something that simply blows my mind is the USC starting defensive backfield from the early 80's:

Safety: Joey Browner, Hall Of Fame, 'nuff said

Safety: Dennis Smith, Denver Broncos (13 Years) - defined Safety play during his Broncos tenure, mentored by Dennis Thurman in HS and College, and in turn, mentoring his teammate and eventual succes, Steve Atwater

CornerBack: Ronnie Lott, Hall Of Fame, 'nuff said

CornerBack: Jeff Fisher, Tenn Titans Head Coach, currently longest-tenured in the NFL (13 Years)

That's just a crazy assembling of talent, and is only the tip of the iceberg of how many talented players were going through USC at the time. Can you imagine how much Jeff Fisher was thrown on with all those other guys in the backfield?

Another interesting tangent: how Fisher's career ended. In an early-season Bears/Eagles Game in 1985 (Super Bowl Shuffle Year), Fisher broke his ankle being tackled on a special teams play by none other than Bill Cowher, his eventual AFC Coaching rival. That's a pretty neat happenstance.

Safety: Joey Browner, Hall Of Fame, 'nuff said
Not that it takes anything away from your point, nor do I want to imply that Browner wasn't great, but Browner is not in the Hall of Fame (despite the fact that at this moment his wikipedia page says he is!).

Unless I'm missing some one the O=line wouldn't be very good and the D-line would be shaky and they are short a 3rd WR

Offense

Ken Dorsey QB Jr

Willis McGahee RB Fr

Najeh Davenport RB Sr

Clinton Portis RB Jr

Frank Gore RB Fr

Andre Johnson WR So

Roscoe Parrish WR Fr

Kellen Winslow WR Fr

Jeremy Shockey TE Jr

Vernon Carey T So

Brett Romberg G Jr

Bryant McKinnie G Sr

Defense

Vince Wilfork DE Fr

William Joseph DE Jr

Jerome McDougle DE Jr

Orien Harris DE Fr

DJ Williams LB So

Leon Williams LB Fr

Roger McIntosh LB Fr

Jonathan Vilma LB So

Phillip Buchanon CB Jr

Antrel Rolle CB Fr

Mike Rumph CB Sr

Kelly Jennings CB Fr

Edward Reed S Sr

Sean Taylor CB Fr

But they had awesome backs on defense and offense

Unless I'm missing some one the O=line wouldn't be very good and the D-line would be shaky and they are short a 3rd WROffenseKen Dorsey QB JrWillis McGahee RB FrNajeh Davenport RB SrClinton Portis RB JrFrank Gore RB FrAndre Johnson WR SoRoscoe Parrish WR FrKellen Winslow WR FrJeremy Shockey TE JrVernon Carey T SoBrett Romberg G JrBryant McKinnie G SrDefenseVince Wilfork DE FrWilliam Joseph DE JrJerome McDougle DE JrOrien Harris DE FrDJ Williams LB SoLeon Williams LB FrRoger McIntosh LB FrJonathan Vilma LB SoPhillip Buchanon CB JrAntrel Rolle CB FrMike Rumph CB SrKelly Jennings CB FrEdward Reed S SrSean Taylor CB FrBut they had awesome backs on defense and offense
Both those lines would not make it in the NFL so this team would suffer even with all the talent it has in other areas.

wow I didn't know that fact... :kicksrock: :lmao: :lmao: :rolleyes:also minus 5 first round draft picksget the facts straight.....
You might want to read the rest of the thread to avoid making an ### out of yourself. There was a question whether or not this was the team that lost to OSU. I answered the question. Nice sig by the way. :thumbup:

wow I didn't know that fact... :unsure: :lmao: :lmao: :rolleyes:also minus 5 first round draft picksget the facts straight.....
You might want to read the rest of the thread to avoid making an ### out of yourself. There was a question whether or not this was the team that lost to OSU. I answered the question. Nice sig by the way. :thumbup:
hahaha, thanks.my point was it wasn't the same team as the 01 team. they were w/o c. portis, bryan mckennie, jeremy shockey,phillip buchanon, ed reed and mike rumph......but your still right about the horse $$$ part :excited: plus Neb and OSU were 2 totally diff teams. OSU also would have blown out NEB..Crouch sucks!

Unless I'm missing some one the O=line wouldn't be very good and the D-line would be shaky and they are short a 3rd WROffenseKen Dorsey QB JrWillis McGahee RB FrNajeh Davenport RB SrClinton Portis RB JrFrank Gore RB FrAndre Johnson WR SoRoscoe Parrish WR FrKellen Winslow WR FrJeremy Shockey TE JrVernon Carey T SoBrett Romberg G JrBryant McKinnie G SrDefenseVince Wilfork DE FrWilliam Joseph DE JrJerome McDougle DE JrOrien Harris DE FrDJ Williams LB SoLeon Williams LB FrRoger McIntosh LB FrJonathan Vilma LB SoPhillip Buchanon CB JrAntrel Rolle CB FrMike Rumph CB SrKelly Jennings CB FrEdward Reed S SrSean Taylor CB FrBut they had awesome backs on defense and offense
Both those lines would not make it in the NFL so this team would suffer even with all the talent it has in other areas.
That may be true, but just the fact that we can actually have a discussion about this is in itself a tribute to this team's roster of future NFL talent.

Nice talent. Santana Moss and Reggie Wayne was on the previous year Roster. Miami would've been unstoppable if they had a top tier QB during the early 2000's.

Users who are viewing this thread