What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2005 FBG/ NFL Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

Watching this draft gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing likely DL and CB will be in abudance for us.Plenty of bandwidth to trade down too.

Watching this draft gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing likely DL and CB will be in abudance for us.Plenty of bandwidth to trade down too.
Yet you drafting for the Cowboys managed to pick the wrong ones. ;) Still bitter over not getting pacman and pollack to the boys.

Meaningless observation:The last time only 2 offensive lineman have been drafted in the 1st round was 1990. Only twice since 1990 have only 3 offensive lineman gone in the 1st {last year and 2000}. Every other year since 1990, 4 or more offensive lineman have gone in the 1st round.Counting the 1 year with 2 and the 2 years with 3, the average number of OL taken in the 1st since 1990 is 4.67...So far in our draft only 1 OL has gone..

green bay is set up perfectly here, with what i think are their two biggest needs, CB, and DE, presenting the best value at this point in the draft.
maybe in about 20 or 30 hours, we'll find out which.

The way this draft is shaping up, it seems like there will be a lot of teams wanting to jump into the 20's to pick up guys who have slid down. It would not surprise me that to see several trades like the Cowboys/Bills and Lions/KC last year in this upcoming April draft. Its always fun seeing trades like that. :) :thumbup:

We all new this was gonna be a slow process. Not everyone is on the PC 24/7. (Like me). But If we don't get to the Chargers 28th pick by 5:00 today, then CSTU is filling in for me. I won't have access to a PC until Sunday Afternonn.

Only twice since 1990 have only 3 offensive lineman gone in the 1st {last year and 2000}.
Didnt only 2 o-lineman go in the 1st last year? Gallery and Andrewsedit: Forgot about Carrey

Last edited by a moderator:
so here's a few more subplots...the ravens and jags both have WR as a need, and both should be angling for a marquee WR in free agency. theres NO WAY that edwards or williams drops to either of them, which sets up the possibility of one of them trading up to a top 11 team that is desperate to trade down(lions?). i say top 11 because it seems that the chargers will snap up edwards or williams if either are there at 12.
I would be surpised to see Edwards/Williams get past Dallas at 11. Everything that I have heard coming out of Dallas points to a WR being taken in round 1. BigTex is hearing the same thing. Link If one of the top 2 guys is on the board then, the Boys will almost certainly pick him up. With that being the case, it does make a lot of sense that someone would move to 10 to get one of these guys and the Lions move down.It would also not surprise me to see Dallas go Williamson/Clayton at 20. Probably Williamson for the speed. I think Caldeus has done a fine job of picking for the Boys. I would be happy for them to get Merriman and Rodgers. (I would also be happy to see them get PacMan and Pollack.) But don't be at all surprised to see Dallas take a WR in the first this year.

Wow, I wonder what the asking price would be on draft day for teams to slide up from late first, early second to grab one of the falling players! Any trades of recent memory where a team went from pick 30-40 to 24-25 range?
last year dallas got a 2nd day pick and a future 1st for dropping from 22 to 43. and houston coughed up a couple of picks to go from 40 to 27.
2004 Draft TradesOnes that stood out:The Vikings trading down one spot in exchange for a 4th round pick (Mewelde Moore).The Cowboys trading their 1st (#22) to the Bills (Losman) for the the Bills' 2005 #1, 2004 #2 (Julius Jones) and #4 (Sean Ryan).The Titans trading their 1st (#27) and 5th to the Texans (Babin) for the Texans 2nd (Ben Troupe), 3rd (Randy Starks), 4th (Bo Schobel) and 5th (Jacob Bell).

Where are we getting the official 2nd round draft order from? I've seen SF, Cle, and Phi (who has the Mia pick) all jumbled around between #33 and #35.

Green Bay Packers biggest needs: DE, LB, CB, QBWith the 24th pick in the 2005 NFL draft, the Green Bay Packers select David Pollack DE Georgia.The Packers need to shore up a defense that had a hard time stopping opposing offenses once again in 2004. Going to start on the defensive line by drafting David Pollack, the 2005 Lombardi and Bednarik award winner. He'll lineup opposite of KGB and provide the hustle and hard work the Packers desperately need. Also considered Marcus Spears here but went with the safe pick. Pollack probably won't match his college production but should be a solid player for many years because of his work ethic and toughness.

I will be back shortly with Denver's pick. The quick list of need: DL, CB, TE, OL depth, WR. Although, if you watched the playoff game against Indy, then you can add RB, QB, LB, FS, SS, K, P, KR, PR and waterboy to that list... :rant:

I will be back shortly with Denver's pick. The quick list of need: DL, CB, TE, OL depth, WR. Although, if you watched the playoff game against Indy, then you can add RB, QB, LB, FS, SS, K, P, KR, PR and waterboy to that list... :rant:
:rotflmao: And I gotta think GB would be THRILLED with Pollack falling into their lap

:rotflmao: And I gotta think GB would be THRILLED with Pollack falling into their lap
steal of the draft so far, followed closely by cadillac.

I wanted to wait to post this until I had more time to devote to the explanation. Here it is:Marcus Spears, Louisiana State DEOther areas of need: TE, DT, CB, WRI know he is considered raw in terms of experience and even some call him unmotivated in terms of his effort sometimes. Well, he's a converted TE and is still learning the position. But that bodes well for his potential also, as he is physcially gifted and just needs more experience at this position.There were a lot of tempting CBs at this pick too. Considering what Manning did to the secondary in that playoff game, it might have been a good idea to go that route. However, I take a view similar to Bill Parcells --- CBs are marginalized by the new chuck rule. That does not mean you can have crappy ones, and one in particular was tempting with this pick. But the first palce to start when attacking a QB like Manning is pass rush. Just look what NE did to him last weekend.Also, I was discussing this pick with a friend and he noted that Denver actually lost their games last year against the better running teams in the league. This despite finishing in the top 10 in both rushing and passing defense (yards). The games they won were largely against margin or sub-par rushing teams. So this led us to the belief that we needed the better run-stopping DE of the group of Pollack-Spears-Roth. Spears fits that mold better than the other two given his bigger size. Another point I noticed is that Spears fits the mold of Trevor Pryce somewhat --- a bigger guy with speed than can likely play any spot on the DL in a 4-3 setup. Several have said that Spears is more suited to a 3-4 given his size, but he also has enough speed to play DE in a 4-3 scheme. The emergence of Reggie Hayward this season means that Pryce (who has epxerience in the NFL at DT at various times) and Spears can shift along the line and give the Broncos more flexibility.In terms of TE, Miller was the only one who warranted first round consideration. And even if he were here at this pick, I am not sure I would have picked him. Granted, Denver's offense in years past has functioned somewhat better with a pass-catching TE. But Plummer still threw for 4,000+ yards this season. That signals to me that this offense is capable of running with Putzier and the current TEs. Plug in a (hopefully healthy) Tatum Bell and the speed factor on offense rises dramatically. The hope is that this will open up some space for the current TEs and allow the offense to compensate for not ahving a "Shannon Sharpe" in the middle of the field.Finally, the fact that Denver does not have a 3rd round pick also played into this pick. Instead of stocking up on quantity in rounds 2-3-4, we will likely need to stay with quality, and this pick accomplishes that objective. The only other position I truly considered was CB and hoepfully this pick helps the current CBs on the roster with a better pass rush enough to justify the pick.

Who can I PM a list to in case my 2nd round pick comes up tomorrow? I might not get on until tomorrow night.

1 San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers - QB from Cal

2 Miami - Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas

3 Cleveland - Antrel Rolle - CB from Miami

4 Chicago - Braylon Edwards - WR Michigan

5 Tampa Bay - Mike Williams - WR formerly USC

6 Tennessee - Alex Barron - OT Florida St.

7 Oakland - Cedric Benson - RB Texas

8 Arizona - Ronnie Brown - RB Auburn

9 Washington - Dan Cody - DE Okalahoma

10 Detroit - Heath Miller - TE Virginia

11 Dallas - Shawn Merriman - DE/OLB Maryland

12 San Diego - Erasmus James - DE Wisconsin

13 Houston - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - CB West Virginia

14 Carolina - Thomas Davis - FS Georgia

15 Kansas City - Travis Johnson - DT Florida State

16 New Orleans - Alex Smith - QB Utah

17 Cincinnati Bengals - Anttaj Hawthorne - DT Wisconsin

18 Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC

19 St Louis Rams - Channing Crowder LB

20 Dallas Cowboys (From Buffalo) - Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn

21 Jacksonville Jaguars - Troy Williamson WR South Carolina

22 Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma

23 Seattle Seahawks - Carnell Williams RB Auburn

24 Green Bay Packers - David Pollack DE Georgia

25 Denver Broncos - Marcus Spears DE LSU

25 Denver Broncos - Marcus Spears DE LSU :hot: This is why the Chargers will likely trade up with the Packers.

25 Denver Broncos - Marcus Spears DE LSU :hot: This is why the Chargers will likely trade up with the Packers.
They already got Erasmuss James with thier 1st pick -- you mean they would want to get 2 DL in the 1st round :shock:

Right now the Jets biggest Needs are: CB, TE and S.

Like most teams the Jets real needs won't be clearly defined till they decide what to do with Free Agency. Key decisions are Abraham, Mckenzie, Jordan and Jason Ferguson..... They probably won't get all of them and whatever position they don't keep will rush to near the top of the need chart... Sounds like Abraham will stay. The others I don't know but, Mckenzie seems most likely to go, I forget his agent's name but, it's the worst one - the one that screwed Arrington. (Poston Bros???)

So overall the needs look to Be CB, TE, S, RB/backup and possibly DT and/or OT.

The DT's, TE, and S we targeted are gone..... Plenty of CB's to drool over but, Edwards, a former secondary coach seems to think he can develop them as long as the front 7 is stout.

I know the gallery is screaming for a CB - Jets been ignoring them for years. Justin Miller???? Marlin Jackson????? Sheesh....

If the Draft turns out like this and Mckenzie leaves I think the Jets draft:

JAMMAL BROWN OT Oklahoma

Jets need to protect Pennington 1st and foremost and Tackles aren't the easiest to find..... Fabini had a mixed year and it would be nice to move him back to RT but, that will have to be determined in camp.

26 NY Jets - Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma

Who can I PM a list to in case my 2nd round pick comes up tomorrow? I might not get on until tomorrow night.
Bloom, I PMed you in case you're around. Thanks.
You can PM me too if you want... Not sure I'll be around or not -- may get snowed in :(

They already got Erasmuss James with thier 1st pick -- you mean they would want to get 2 DL in the 1st round :shock:
Erasmus James would be an OLB in the 3-4, so yes, I would want them to draft 2 DL.

Bloom, I PMed you in case you're around. Thanks.
ill be checking tomorrow. thanks for planning ahead...only 15 more picks until i get to pick on behalf of the giants!

some good picks and explanations. looks like dolfan's trend is confirmed. we may even see terry and brown come off the board in the 1st.where is mckenzie headed if he leaves?

some good picks and explanations. looks like dolfan's trend is confirmed. we may even see terry and brown come off the board in the 1st.where is mckenzie headed if he leaves?
if either of them are left when the stillers are up, ill be lobbying evilgrin to take one.

this is what ltaylor has as the order for the rest of the first round:27 Atlanta 11-5 .429***28 San Diego 12-4 .483 29 Indianapolis 12-4 .49630 Pittsburgh 15-131 Philadelphia 13-3 .442***32 New Englandis this correct? shouldnt we have the eagles 30th, pats 31st, and steelers 32nd? i have a feeling that we should be going by straight record right now.was that a sly way for ltaylor to show he predicts NE over philly in the super bowl?

this is what ltaylor has as the order for the rest of the first round:27 Atlanta 11-5 .429***28 San Diego 12-4 .483 29 Indianapolis 12-4 .49630 Pittsburgh 15-131 Philadelphia 13-3 .442***32 New Englandis this correct? shouldnt we have the eagles 30th, pats 31st, and steelers 32nd? i have a feeling that we should be going by straight record right now.was that a sly way for ltaylor to show he predicts NE over philly in the super bowl?
We should know a lot more come Monday morning...I don't see us making it that far by then anyway...

It seems like he is already predicting a Eagles/Pats SB with the Pats winning.

The Falcons needs are at QB, TE and...just kidding.

With Jammal Brown off the board, considering an O-Lineman for the Falcons at this juncture would seem to be a bit of a reach. Jammal Brown would have been good value at #27 (and is at #26) but I'm not sure if any other OL prospect other than Elton Brown is a worthy selection here. And quite frankly, the Falcons problems on the O-line are at the OT position in pass protection, not OG where Elton brown resides. But even if Jammal Brown were on the board, he wouldn't be a slam dunk. The Falcons O-Line progressed this year and became a dominating presence in the run game and another off-season to gel in the WCO and Alex Gibbs based running attack might be what the doctor ordered. Plus, I see the Falcons making a modest FA investment rather than a rookie to push the envelope here.

So with QB, TE and RB positions pretty much set and the verdict on Michael Jenkins (last years 1st rounder) still in TBD status, the attention turns to defense. Under Ed Donatell, the Falcons D-Line made huge strides and became a force. And the option to acquire more depth, especially at DE is enticing especially with UGA legend David Pollack still on the board along with Matt Roth. But with the D-Line becoming the strength of their defensive unit in 2004, the Falcons will pass on augmenting this position...leaving the LB and the secondary.

With the progress of Demorrio Williams, he most likely will find himself starting in 2005 and Kevin Burnett would fit the style of LB the Falcons covet. With Matt Stewart a possible FA casualty...a selection of Burnett would not be a bad move. However, the Falcons feel they need to upgrade the playmaking potential in the secondary to capitalize on the pressure they can put on the QB with their front four. In two seasons with the Falcons, starting FS Cory Hall has 1 INT. While he is a better than average player in stopping the run from that position, the Falcons select:

Brodney Pool FS; Oklahoma

Pool demonstrated solid play-making abilities at Oklahoma although his sophomore season was a better showcase for him in this area. But based on how slowly the Falcons brought Michael Jenkins along in 2004, they most likely would have Pool be their obvious passing down FS while continuing to start Hall and work Pool into the rotation during the course of the 2005 season giving him the chance to claim the starting job in 2006.

27 Atlanta - Brodney Pool FS Oklahoma

Cool I was just about to leave. For the second of 2 first round picks the San Diego Chargers Select. Marlin Jackson -CB/S - Michigan.Now many might disagree with this pick but Marlin has played alot of saftey in college as well as CB. The Chargers biggest need on Defense is to improve pass rush and pass coverage. With E.James in the First and now Jackson in the second. OL/LB and even more secondary help can be addressed later in the draft and Free Agency. I was really hoping Spears or J.Brown would drop, but oh well.

1 San Francisco- Aaron Rodgers - QB from Cal2 Miami - Derrick Johnson - LB from Texas3 Cleveland - Antrel Rolle - CB from Miami4 Chicago - Braylon Edwards - WR Michigan5 Tampa Bay - Mike Williams - WR formerly USC6 Tennessee - Alex Barron - OT Florida St.7 Oakland - Cedric Benson - RB Texas8 Arizona - Ronnie Brown - RB Auburn9 Washington - Dan Cody - DE Okalahoma10 Detroit - Heath Miller - TE Virginia11 Dallas - Shawn Merriman - DE/OLB Maryland12 San Diego - Erasmus James - DE Wisconsin13 Houston - Adam "Pac-Man" Jones - CB West Virginia14 Carolina - Thomas Davis - FS Georgia15 Kansas City - Travis Johnson - DT Florida State16 New Orleans - Alex Smith - QB Utah17 Cincinnati Bengals - Anttaj Hawthorne - DT Wisconsin18 Minnesota Vikings - Shaun Cody - DE/DT - USC19 St Louis Rams - Channing Crowder LB20 Dallas Cowboys (From Buffalo) - Carlos Rodgers CB Auburn21 Jacksonville Jaguars - Troy Williamson WR South Carolina 22 Baltimore Ravens - Mark Clayton WR Oklahoma23 Seattle Seahawks - Carnell Williams RB Auburn24 Green Bay Packers - David Pollack DE Georgia25 Denver Broncos - Marcus Spears DE LSU26 NY Jets - Jammal Brown OT Oklahoma 27 Atlanta - Brodney Pool FS Oklahoma28 San Diego - Marlin Jackson CB/S Michigan

If the Bucs come up I won't be able to pick until tomorrow some time. We are going three rounds, right?

Did anyone PM FFChamp? I just realized I am on deck and not at #32 like I had first thought. I'll be on for about another hour and a half to 2 hours, after that I will be away until tomorrow AM...

Yeah you pretty much hit that one on the head. Until, somebody proves they can beat the Pats when all the marbles are on the table, then I have no choice but to believe that they are the clear favorite despite what the oddsmakers say. We witnessed that last week. Don't get me wrong i hate the Pats as much as any other titans or colts fan out there, but i have learned this subtle respect for them after getting my butt whipped so many times.ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD SOURCE FOR THE 2ND AND 3RD ROUND DRAFT ORDER?FULL FIRST ROUND OF SELECTIONS WITH COMMENTARIES IS UPDATED ON THE FIRST POST OF THE THREAD AS WELL.

Yeah you pretty much hit that one on the head. Until, somebody proves they can beat the Pats when all the marbles are on the table, then I have no choice but to believe that they are the clear favorite despite what the oddsmakers say. We witnessed that last week. Don't get me wrong i hate the Pats as much as any other titans or colts fan out there, but i have learned this subtle respect for them after getting my butt whipped so many times.ALSO DOES ANYONE HAVE A GOOD SOURCE FOR THE 2ND AND 3RD ROUND DRAFT ORDER?FULL FIRST ROUND OF SELECTIONS WITH COMMENTARIES IS UPDATED ON THE FIRST POST OF THE THREAD AS WELL.
2005 Draft Pick trades

Pick #29 The Colts select Justin Miller CB Clemson"...Justin Miller is the proverbial big play waiting to happen and is a dangerous threat both in coverage as well as on special teams as a return man. With good size, very good speed, excellent athleticism as well as a nose for the ball, Miller would be an ideal fit for the Colts and finally give them the top young cornerback they have been searching for"NFL Draft Countdown player reviewMiller wins out over Burnett at OLB for the Colts round one selection after the Bengals selected Hawthorne, this was the next guy on our board (projected of course)Tom

The selections of Marlin Jackson and Justin Miller at #28-29, along with the selections of Spears, Pollack, and Jammal Brown just before that makes this a pretty easy call.

The Pittsburgh Steelers select Adam Terry, OT Syracuse

Terry is a behemoth at 6' 9" and 325 pounds. His frame can easily carry more weight and I believe he'll play around 335-340. Pittsburgh doesn't have a ton of glaring needs right now (if Burress walks - a big WR like Chris Henry might be a pick here.) I was focusing on either an OT, CB, or DE with this pick, and I believe Terry provides the best value. His footwork stands to improve a bit, and he lacks polish, but this is a pure upside pick this late in Round 1. The Steelers drafted Max Starks in the third round last year, who is another space eater, but there are questions about whether or not he has enough quickness to handle speed rushers on the outside. Oliver Ross performed adequately at RT this year, particularly in run blocking, and with Starks there, the Steelers have time to coach Terry and let him develop. At this point, I believe he has the most upside of any player available. The engine that drives the Steelers offense is the line - with the addition of Terry and the (hopeful) return of Kendall Simmons, the Steelers would have terrific depth at perhaps their most important aspect of the team.

27 Atlanta - Brodney Pool FS Oklahoma

28 San Diego - Marlin Jackson CB/S Michigan

29 Indianapolis - Justin Miller CB Clemson

30 Pittsburgh - Adam Terry OT Syracuse

also, has anyone posted the next 10 picks in order? Phi has the Mia 2nd, I would like to double check my notes.

also, has anyone posted the next 10 picks in order? Phi has the Mia 2nd, I would like to double check my notes.
If you look at the my first post you will see a very nice synopsis of all the picks that have taken place as well as the order for Rounds 2 and 3.thxlogan

I could be wrong but I believe that Philly has Miami's pick in the second round which is #3 not #2. It is then followed by:Tampa Bay at #4Tennessee at #5Oakland at #6Chicago at #7Someone should maybe check it out to verify before we get there.

I could be wrong but I believe that Philly has Miami's pick in the second round which is #3 not #2. It is then followed by:Tampa Bay at #4Tennessee at #5Oakland at #6Chicago at #7Someone should maybe check it out to verify before we get there.
Ive just corrected that mistake. thanks for pointing it out. The first 20 picks or so of the 2nd look pretty are accurate I think. i swear every draft site on the web has a different order. After this weekend we will be able to more accurately fill it out.

If you look at the my first post you will see a very nice synopsis of all the picks that have taken place as well as the order for Rounds 2 and 3.thxlogan
:thumbup: thanx logan

33(1). San Francisco 49ers - 34(2). Cleveland Browns-35(3). Philadelphia Eagles (from Miami)-
Are we shure about this? A few mocks I have looked at have Phi picking 33

33(1). San Francisco 49ers - 34(2). Cleveland Browns-35(3). Philadelphia Eagles (from Miami)-
Are we shure about this? A few mocks I have looked at have Phi picking 33
If the Browns and Miami had the same record, this is correct, whoever picked 2nd in the 1st round would flop and pick 3rd in the 2nd round.Much like the Bears pick 4th in the first and later in the 2nd round.

Users who are viewing this thread