What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2006 Consensus TE Rankings (1 Viewer)

Islander

Footballguy
Please post your 2006 TE rankings here. Assume standard scoring, redraft. We will simply calculate the average rankings based on everybody's list to get something close to what an ADP would be if we had to draft in the next few days or weeks.

Several things are still unsettled like the NFL draft, free agents, coaching changes, etc. You should make your rankings based on all info you have available today, as if your FFL draft was tomorrow.

We'll start a similar thread for Ds and Ks later.

QB consensus here

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=218039

RB consensus here

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=219811

WR consensus here

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=225784

LB consensus here

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=226236

FBGs do their consensus rankings after the NFL draft and I don't want to wait until late April to get a rough idea consensus rankings at key positions.

Here is my TE list

1 Antonio Gates

2 Jeremy Shockey

3 Tony Gonzalez

4 Todd Heap

5 Alge Crumpler

6 Jason Witten

7 Chris Cooley

8 Randy McMichael

9 L.J. Smith

10 Ben Troupe

11 Heath Miller

12 Jermaine Wiggins

13 Jerramy Stevens

14 Dallas Clark

15 Marcus Pollard

16 Alex Smith

17 Bubba Franks

18 Ben Watson

19 Erron Kinney

20 Kellen Winslow Jr.

*my rankings updated 2/15/2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some pretty good rankings Islander...I like LJ a little higher...but all in all not bad.

Tight Ends

1. Antonio Gates

2. Jeremy Shockey

3. Todd Heap

4. Jason Witten

5. Tony Gonzalez

6. Alge Crumpler

7. Chris Cooley

8. Randy McMichael

9. LJ Smith

10. Jerramy Stevens

11. Heath Miller

12. Ben Troupe

13. Dallas Clark

14. Jermaine Wiggins

15. Ben Watson

16. Kellen Winslow

17. Jeb Putzier

18. Marcus Pollard

19. Eric Johnson

20. Bubba Franks

21. Vernon Davis

22. Erron Kinney

23. Zach Hilton

24. Courtney Anderson

25. Leonard Pope

26. Steve Heiden

27. Doug Jolley

ELITE

1 Antonio Gates

Next level, studly

2 Tony Gonzalez

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Todd Heap

Next group, I'll take any of these guys to start, but they're very close, so I'm not drafting them early.

5 Ben Troupe

6 Alge Crumpler

7 Jason Witten

8 Chris Cooley

9 Randy McMichael

10 L.J. Smith

11 Heath Miller

12 Jerramy Stevens

13 Kellen Winslow Jr.

14 Dallas Clark

15 Zach Hilton*

eh

16 Marcus Pollard

17 Bubba Franks

18 Ben Watson

19 Eric Johnson

20 Alex Smith

21 Jermaine Wiggins

Ok, I'm going to have to put Hilton in here now that Brees in a Saint...

1. Antonio Gates

2. Jason Witten

3. Alge Crumpler

4. Todd Heap

5. Jeremy Shockey

6. Ben Troupe

7. Tony Gonzalez

8. Dallas Clark

9. Heath Miller

10. LJ Smith

11. Chris Cooley

12. Randy McMicheal

13. Vernon Davis

14. Alex Smith

15. Ben Watson

16. Jeremy Stevens

17. Bubba Franks

18. Jermane Wiggins

19. Kellen Winslow

20. Marcedes Lewis

Gates

Shockey

Heap

Gonzalez

Witten

Crumpler

Cooley

LJ Smith

McMicheal

Troupe

Winslow

Miller

Watson

Stevens

Clark

Wiggins

*Rookies- Depends on where they go.

1 Antonio Gates

2 LJ Smith

3 Alge Crumpler

4 Tony Gonzalez

5 Heath Miller

6 Jason Witten

7 Kellen Winslow Jr.

8 Todd Heap

9 Chris Cooley

10 Randy McMichael

I don't think Witten is getting enough credit. Many are looking at last year, but as mentioned, he was asked to block a ton (especially after the loss of Flozell Adams).

Maybe the 2004 numbers (87 receptions) is too much to expect again, but I would expect a bounce up in his numbers from last year (barring OL injuries again, of course).

ELITE

1 Antonio Gates

Next level, studly

2 Tony Gonzalez

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Todd Heap

Next group, I'll take any of these guys to start, but they're very close, so I'm not drafting them early.

5 Ben Troupe

6 Alge Crumpler

7 Jason Witten

8 Chris Cooley

9 Randy McMichael

10 L.J. Smith

11 Heath Miller

12 Jerramy Stevens

13 Kellen Winslow Jr.

14 Dallas Clark

eh

15 Marcus Pollard

16 Jermaine Wiggins

17 Bubba Franks

18 Ben Watson

19 Eric Johnson

20 Alex Smith
After his performance in 2005, i definately drop TG down to "human" status going into 2006.

I don't think Witten is getting enough credit. Many are looking at last year, but as mentioned, he was asked to block a ton (especially after the loss of Flozell Adams).
there are a couple of things that will matter:1. New OC Chris Palmer. In Houston, and Cleveland, hisTE's were not a force.

2. What will the Cowboys do to improve their OL and the OL depth during this offseason to make it so Witten doesn't have to spend another season blocking on 50% of the passing plays.

there are a couple of things that will matter:1. New OC Chris Palmer. In Houston, and Cleveland, hisTE's were not a force.

2. What will the Cowboys do to improve their OL and the OL depth during this offseason to make it so Witten doesn't have to spend another season blocking on 50% of the passing plays.
Good points, although with respect to #1, I think we all know that Parcells calls the shots.As for #2, that's definitely a concern, although I'm sure that will be one of, if not the primary priority, going into next year.

1 Antonio Gates

2 LJ Smith

3 Alge Crumpler

4 Tony Gonzalez

5 Heath Miller

6 Jason Witten

7 Kellen Winslow Jr.

8 Todd Heap

9 Chris Cooley

10 Randy McMichael
I like unique lists like this one. I have to ask, though, why you didn't rate Shockey in your top 10?

Thanks for the lists guys :thumbup:

Here is the consensus so far based on rankings from UnknownCoach, fruity pebbles, mueller54, -OZ-, Crippler, slimflip, MLBrandow, and myself. I also included the order in which TEs were drafted in WSL1and WSL2.

Two more ranking lists not in this thread: USA Todayand LHUCKS.

1 Antonio Gates

2 Tony Gonzalez

3 Jeremy Shockey

4 Todd Heap

5 Jason Witten

6 Alge Crumpler

7 Chris Cooley

8 L.J. Smith

9 Randy McMichael

10 Ben Troupe

11 Heath Miller

12 Jerramy Stevens

13 Dallas Clark

14 Ben Watson

15 Kellen Winslow Jr.

16 Jermaine Wiggins

17 Marcus Pollard

18 Alex Smith

19 Erron Kinney

20 Bubba Franks

1 Antonio Gates

2 LJ Smith

3 Alge Crumpler

4 Tony Gonzalez

5 Heath Miller

6 Jason Witten

7 Kellen Winslow Jr.

8 Todd Heap

9 Chris Cooley

10 Randy McMichael
Miller, LJ and Witten all over Heap... :banned: interesting.

Has Eric Johnson fallen off the face of the earth???? In 2004 he was an easy top 10 TE and now since he sat out 2005 with an injury he no longer makes it on anyone's list....good to know come draft time. Could easily snag Johnson cheap and get yourself a top 10 TE.

Watson and Hilton will be Top 10.

Watson's last 8 games . . .

22-307-3

and don't forget his 5-91-1 and the Jags in the playoffs.

Hilton's last 8 games . . .

32-371-1

22-307-3

32-371-1
To play devil's advocate...how can you project a top 10 TE when you don't know who his QB will be?

22-307-3

32-371-1
To play devil's advocate...how can you project a top 10 TE when you don't know who his QB will be?
Technically you are right, but there are so many teams with so many question marks (coaches, OCs, QBs, WRs, RBs, rookies, etc.) that we could say similar things about a lot of teams.We don't know who the QB in SD is, but would Gates fall off the map if Rivers took over? (And I am not suggesting that Hilton is close to Gates).

I see Winslow Jr.'s name popping up all over the place. Have you all forgotten that he may NEVER play? What is the status of his rehab? I haven't read anything saying he WILL be ready for 2006.

And that says nothing of his character issue, lack of a QB and lack of any other offensive passing threat to take the heat off him.

I see Winslow Jr.'s name popping up all over the place. Have you all forgotten that he may NEVER play? What is the status of his rehab? I haven't read anything saying he WILL be ready for 2006.
He's expected to be ready for training camp. Edwards is not expected to be ready for training camp. Bryant is a free agent who they wont give a big contract to. That leaves Northcutt at wide receiver. Fryre might be the starting QB. They are working on an extension for Droughns. Not an exciting team for fantasy but a definate opportunity for unpopular players.

Can Ben Troupe be a top 5 TE if Kinney is gone? Chow loves the TE spot - anyone know how long Kinney is signed for?
According to nflpa.org, Kinney is signed through until 2008. The bad news is his salary kicks up to 1.3+ million this year and more the following years. I wonder if they'll cut him? :eek:

If Kinney is gone, I think Scaife could be the TN TE to have. Troupe has had a difficult time stay healthy.

Can Ben Troupe be a top 5 TE if Kinney is gone?  Chow loves the TE spot - anyone know how long Kinney is signed for?
According to nflpa.org, Kinney is signed through until 2008. The bad news is his salary kicks up to 1.3+ million this year and more the following years. I wonder if they'll cut him? :eek:

If Kinney is gone, I think Scaife could be the TN TE to have. Troupe has had a difficult time stay healthy.
Doesn't every Titan TE have a hard time staying healthy? I can't understand how people can rank them so highly then. To each his own but...

Doesn't every Titan TE have a hard time staying healthy? I can't understand how people can rank them so highly then. To each his own but...
When the TE gets that much activity, more propensity for injury.The TE slot in TEN was the most targeted slot - I recall a game where the top 3 targeted receivers were all TEs (Kinney, Troupe AND Scaife).

Bri, the upside of every TENN TE is due to having a lack of receivers. Last year, the Titans went into the season with Bennett, three rookies and Calico. Of course, the TE was well targeted. I am judging Scaife by targets given to the TEs.

Bennett seems to have a difficult time staying healthy. Injuries to Calico and the rookies being nicked up only added to this.

If the Titans do not bring anyone else in at WR, I expect this trend of high TE usage to continue. This is where a no name like Scaife becomes a sleeper. He is a decent, young TE.

If Kinney is gone, I think Scaife could be the TN TE to have.  Troupe has had a difficult time stay healthy.

Bri, the upside of every TENN TE is due to having a lack of receivers. Last year, the Titans went into the season with Bennett, three rookies and Calico. Of course, the TE was well targeted. I am judging Scaife by targets given to the TEs.

Bennett seems to have a difficult time staying healthy. Injuries to Calico and the rookies being nicked up only added to this.

If the Titans do not bring anyone else in at WR, I expect this trend of high TE usage to continue. This is where a no name like Scaife becomes a sleeper. He is a decent, young TE.

If Kinney is gone, I think Scaife could be the TN TE to have.  Troupe has had a difficult time stay healthy.
Speaking of TEN rookie WR's...what happened to Brandon Jones? He had a couple of decent weeks but when I check on ESPN and CBS Sportsline...he's not even listed on the depth chart?!

Bri, the upside of every TENN TE is due to having a lack of receivers. Last year, the Titans went into the season with Bennett, three rookies and Calico. Of course, the TE was well targeted. I am judging Scaife by targets given to the TEs.Bennett seems to have a difficult time staying healthy. Injuries to Calico and the rookies being nicked up only added to this. If the Titans do not bring anyone else in at WR, I expect this trend of high TE usage to continue. This is where a no name like Scaife becomes a sleeper. He is a decent, young TE.
they need a new trainer

Please post your 2006 TE rankings here. Assume standard scoring, redraft. We will simply calculate the average rankings based on everybody's list to get something close to what an ADP would be if we had to draft in the next few days or weeks.

Several things are still unsettled like the NFL draft, free agents, coaching changes, etc. You should make your rankings based on all info you have available today, as if your FFL draft was tomorrow.

QB consensus here

RB consensus here

WR consensus here

FBGs do their consensus rankings after the NFL draft and I don't want to wait until late April to get a rough idea consensus rankings at key positions.

Here is my TE list

1 Antonio Gates

2 Jeremy Shockey

3 Todd Heap

4 Tony Gonzalez

5 Alge Crumpler

6 Jason Witten

7 Randy McMichael

8 Chris Cooley

9 L.J. Smith

10 Ben Troupe

11 Heath Miller

12 Jermaine Wiggins

13 Jerramy Stevens

14 Dallas Clark

15 Marcus Pollard

16 Alex Smith

17 Bubba Franks

18 Ben Watson

19 Erron Kinney

20 Kellen Winslow Jr.
Cooley, with Saunders as OC, has to be placed in top 5..take Gonzalez out of top 5, his days as the elite TE in the NFL are long gone. Ben Troupe will definitely make a solid top 5 TE next year, got 50-something catches in 11 games..i'd go:

gates

heap

shockey

cooley

troupe

witten

crumpler

smith

mcmichael

I think Cooley, Miller and Stevens are going to finish the year a lot higher than they are ranked.

Slightly off topic, but while we're on the subject of Tenn WRs - I think Courtney Roby might do something this year....

Tony Gonzalez average stats per year from 2000-2004

80 catches

1013 yards

12.6 YPC

7.8 TD's

Here are his 2005 stats:

78 catches

905 yards

11.6 YPC

2 TD's

If he would have scored his average number of TD's in 2005 he would have been the #2 TE on the board in 2005. TD's are toughest to predict from year to year, and it is obvious that Gonzo was below his normal numbers, but not by much other than scoring. He'll be a tremendous value in 2006 if this thread's rankings are a true indicator of where he'll be selected relative to other TE's.

Gonzalez had the third best receptions of his career and his yards were on par with his career average. Player who have an abnormally low number of TDs in a given year are always undervalued in fantasy the next year. That's because TDs account for the most number of fantasy points in the fewest number of plays. People rank players based on last season's fantasy points. Gonzalez is one of many veterans who will be a huge value pick next year due to that oversight.

22-307-3

32-371-1
I'm on board with David. Big time with Hilton. 6'8" target over the middle and finished the season strong....

QB consensus here

RB consensus here

WR consensus here

Here is my TE list

1  Antonio Gates

2  Jeremy Shockey

3  Todd Heap

4  Tony Gonzalez

5  Alge Crumpler

6  Jason Witten

7  Randy McMichael

8  Chris Cooley

9  L.J. Smith

10 Ben Troupe

11 Heath Miller

12 Jermaine Wiggins

13 Jerramy Stevens

14 Dallas Clark

15 Marcus Pollard

16 Alex Smith

17 Bubba Franks

18 Ben Watson

19 Erron Kinney

20 Kellen Winslow Jr.
Cooley, with Saunders as OC, has to be placed in top 5..take Gonzalez out of top 5, his days as the elite TE in the NFL are long gone. Ben Troupe will definitely make a solid top 5 TE next year, got 50-something catches in 11 games..i'd go:

gates

heap

shockey

cooley

troupe

witten

crumpler

smith

mcmichael
It took long enough in this thread for someone to recognize that Cooley is ranked a bit too low. Agreed, the advent of Saunders as OC helps, nothing much really hurts him. He will represent tremendous value in this year's draft...as will Heap.

It took long enough in this thread for someone to recognize that Cooley is ranked a bit too low. Agreed, the advent of Saunders as OC helps, nothing much really hurts him. He will represent tremendous value in this year's draft...as will Heap.
neither will be any valueAs long as Cooley and Sellers are listed as TEs in FF leagues, Saunders will struggle to get them to match this year's combined output. 14-15 TEs is a bit much to ask for

32-371-1
this is why i subscribe to FBG.i am not saying i will have Zach Hilton in my top 10 TE's. but he wasn't even on my radar's radar before i read this post.

:thumbup:

Titans did not renew the contract of their TE coach, he's the RB coach in NO now. Since I've even liked Greg Geunther at times, especially as a prospect with his big wings and 6-8 height, I find this to be a curious move.

Any thoughts? Does it affect the TEs effectiveness?

IIRC Heimerdinger's O not Chow's was the O featuring TEs so much. He's a couple years removed now and with the TE coach leaving, having drafted 3 WRs last year, I wonder if a change isn't "in the air" in Tennessee.

It took long enough in this thread for someone to recognize that Cooley is ranked a bit too low.  Agreed, the advent of Saunders as OC helps, nothing much really hurts him.  He will represent tremendous value in this year's draft...as will Heap.
neither will be any valueAs long as Cooley and Sellers are listed as TEs in FF leagues, Saunders will struggle to get them to match this year's combined output. 14-15 TEs is a bit much to ask for
Neither Cooley nor Heap will be any value? :confused: I wanna draft in your league (wait a minute, I believe I did at one time ;) )If your reference is that neither Cooley nor Sellers would be of any value, I strongly disagree on the side of Cooley. The very fact that Cooley is not a sexy TE pick and the worries about Sellers taking red zone catches away from him is the reason why I think he'll still be undervalued.

Heap will also be passed over for less worthy TEs. I saw just enough of Boller at season's end to make me think they will each profit greatly from the other. Well, provided they are both healthy. Yet another knock on Heap that keeps him undervalued.

It took long enough in this thread for someone to recognize that Cooley is ranked a bit too low.  Agreed, the advent of Saunders as OC helps, nothing much really hurts him.  He will represent tremendous value in this year's draft...as will Heap.
Neither Cooley nor Heap will be any value? :confused: I wanna draft in your league (wait a minute, I believe I did at one time ;) )If your reference is that neither Cooley nor Sellers would be of any value, I strongly disagree on the side of Cooley. The very fact that Cooley is not a sexy TE pick and the worries about Sellers taking red zone catches away from him is the reason why I think he'll still be undervalued.
He is on everyone's radar so is Heap, well just look in this thread for an example. There's no sneaky value pick with them. They'll be useful and probably very good FF players but everyone knows of em'.I don't recall playing in a league with you although it's hard to remember everyone's real name around here sometimes.

1. A. Gates

2. J. Shockey

3. A. Crumpler

4. T. Gonzalez

5. C. Cooley

6. J. Whitten

7. R. McMichael

8. T. Heap

9. B. Watson

10. D. Clark

11. J. Stevens

12. H. Miller