What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2011 Off-Season: Waiver Wire (Dynasty) (1 Viewer)

Top 15???
If Alex and Troy Smith were one QB their points total gets them near that in last years finish, so if you are expecting him to be an improvement over those two guys, that's probably not far off.
idetikit corrected me-Thank You BTWSan Diego is like a lower level D1 AA school. It would be a significant achievement from playing teams like Dayton or Valpo in Football, to top 15.Not trying to rain on the Josh Johnson Parade, and I do like the kid, but expectations may need to be tempered here a bit.....
Yes he played for University of San Diego a division 2 school but when he got invited to play in the 2008 East-West Shrine game against D1 talent he was the MVP of the gamehttp://www.craveonline.com/sports/articles/153882-2008-nfl-draft-josh-johnson

Top 15???
What's David Garrard been the last few years?I think Josh is a better runner and no worse passer.Top 15 isn't really far off. That area you really can just lump a lot of those guys together. (He's got quite a bit of upside with his running ability)
Aaron RodgersPeyton ManningTom BradyMichael VickPhillip RiversDrew BreesMatt SchaubMatt RyanBen RoethlisbergerJosh FreemanEli ManningJoe FlaccoJay CutlerMatthew StaffordSam BradfordMatt CasselMark SanchezDoesn't seem too far fetched that Josh Johnson can end up in the late teens, though top 15 is a bit of a reach.

And we are talking top 15 for dynasty purposes - not rather or not he could finish in the top 15 a year or possibly two for redrafts (a stopgap QB somewhere like SF MAYBE)....Tampa has him on their squad & went out & drafted Freeman in the First RD. (after Johnson had been given a shot at starting there). Are those defending him saying he is a "long term" answer somewhere?

I personally think he is a career backup (albeit a decent one & could put up good #'s as a injury replacement like Kitna & Hill did last year)....

And we are talking top 15 for dynasty purposes - not rather or not he could finish in the top 15 a year or possibly two for redrafts (a stopgap QB somewhere like SF MAYBE)....Tampa has him on their squad & went out & drafted Freeman in the First RD. (after Johnson had been given a shot at starting there). Are those defending him saying he is a "long term" answer somewhere? I personally think he is a career backup (albeit a decent one & could put up good #'s as a injury replacement like Kitna & Hill did last year)....
I agree with your final assessment, but I think you're giving a twisted version of Johnson's history. Johnson was drafted by Chuckie in his last year there (2008). It's natural and almost predictable for a new coach to draft "his guy" at QB early in the tenure, and Raheem did just that by taking Freeman.With Johnson and Freeman both there, Raheem liked Johnson enough to give him some starts before giving the reigns to Freeman. This is decent testament to Johnson that he was impressive enough to a new coaching staff to get starts ahead of the team's 1st round QBOTF. This is 2009 when Freeman was on the team. He got no starts in 2008 pre-Freeman with Gruden as coach. His only starts came with Freeman on the team and Raheem as coach.He was mediocre in those starts - some good attributes but tentative and kind of meh. But a 2nd year player out of a small school, you don't usually come out and do great.

Jerome Simpson
I can tell you he won't be easy to grab now. I shot all $100 blind bid dollars at him in one league and lost to a guy with higher WW priority who did the same thing. And I just had an offer of the 1.07 for Simpson and the 2.07 shot down.
Loving this right now. I picked up Simpson in December wondering if Ocho and TO were going to be back. Felt he was worth the hold. I am still concerned with Carson Palmer's threat to retire. I feel like he is serious. The free agent market is going to be tough for Kolb and if Cincy does not end up with him, they may end up going with a rookie. As much as I like Simpson, some variables have to fall into place.

Jerome Simpson
I can tell you he won't be easy to grab now. I shot all $100 blind bid dollars at him in one league and lost to a guy with higher WW priority who did the same thing. And I just had an offer of the 1.07 for Simpson and the 2.07 shot down.
In leagues where Simpson may be available in this years rookie/FA draft, where do you think he'd go? I looked at 6 start-up dynasty's that have been completed this year, and that included 2011 rookies, and he went between 1.5 and 1.6 in two of them, between 1.6 and 1.7 in another, between 1.7 and 1.8 in another, between 1.9 and 1.10 in another, and in the last one he went at 1.13/2.1 in a league that starts 2 QB's (meaning he would have gone a couple earlier if not for the 2 QB rule). So it appears that he's worth the 1.6 - 1.9, at least, based on those 6 drafts. The NFL draft could shake things up a bit of course. BTW, one of my leagues is currently holding the rookie draft and some guy actually offered me the 4.3 rookie pick for Simpson :rolleyes: So evidently not everyone values him the same, or else he thought I was really stupid.

'Dragon1952 said:
Jerome Simpson
In leagues where Simpson may be available in this years rookie/FA draft, where do you think he'd go? I looked at 6 start-up dynasty's that have been completed this year, and that included 2011 rookies, and he went between 1.5 and 1.6 in two of them, between 1.6 and 1.7 in another, between 1.7 and 1.8 in another, between 1.9 and 1.10 in another, and in the last one he went at 1.13/2.1 in a league that starts 2 QB's (meaning he would have gone a couple earlier if not for the 2 QB rule). So it appears that he's worth the 1.6 - 1.9, at least, based on those 6 drafts. The NFL draft could shake things up a bit of course. BTW, one of my leagues is currently holding the rookie draft and some guy actually offered me the 4.3 rookie pick for Simpson :rolleyes: So evidently not everyone values him the same, or else he thought I was really stupid.
I think that is about fair, but if Hankerson, Cobb, or Baldwin end up with a clear path to PT it's going to be tough to not go with the young gun. Also probably depends on how these backs shake down. There are some potentially good situations for some rookie backs who could earn roles in and some of there value is very hard to gauge now):1 Indy (feature role could be open)

2 Miami (ditto)

3 Cincy

4 seattle

5 washington

6 Giants (feature duties somewhat open, Bradshaw could be FA)

(above could be 1st round rookie picks)

(below have a chance depending on how high of pick, dynasty team need, etc..)

7) Tampa (long term spot, high enough pick could compete for feature duties)

8 Denver (role could be open for RBBC)

9) Arizona (Wells value not high?, Hightower RFA?, spot somewhat up for grabs in short term, with long term upside)

(wild cards)

10 New England (high enough pick could compete for gig)

11 Det (Best has injury history, nobody behind him)

12 Phi (handcuff)

13 Chi (handcuff)

14 Balt (handcuff) Gerhart, Dixon, and others went early 2nd in some leagues

15 St Louis

16 Atlanta (Turner older, Snelling 4 year RFA)

17 Green Bay (would take high pick to compete with Grant/Starks)

Besides a few that have already been mentioned, here are some others I find interesting. They are under the radar in most leagues I'm involved with.WR Kerry Meier (ATL) - Before the knee injury in the preseason, he was going to see some action his rookie year. He's not as fast as Jordy Nelson, butthe kid has some skills. He's tough as hell too.RB Kevin Smith (FA) - He's only 24, and he's heading into year 2 after the ACL. If he lands in the right situation, he could post some solid numbers. I've heard he's interested in Miami. If Ronnie & Ricky aren't back, he's a 3 down back in that offense.WR Robert Meachum (NO) - Colston's knee has been cut on multiple times, Moore will probably be elsewhere and Devery Henderson has little left in the tank. If he can enter the season healthy, Meachum could have a big year. He's entering a contract year, and he's only 26.WR Lance Moore (NO) - Only 27 and likely to sign elsewhere. If he signs with the right team, I think he could do well in PPR leagues. The guys a gamer.WR David Reed (BAL) - The only "speed" receiver on the Ravens roster. More of a slot receiver & may need another year of action before he breaks out.WR Malcom Kelly (WAS) - Another player that's been forgotten about. He's still 24, and I hope Shanny can reach the kid because he has skills. I can't imagine him not being an instant upgrade over Armstrong.
How can someone pump up Meachem due to Colston's knee, then talk about Malcom Kelly as if he's a sleeper. Colston's knee is no where near as bad as Kelly's.

The one guy I like that no one else seems to care for is Jerome Harrison. He is not far removed from a great stretch of games and still has tread left on the tires. Harrison is a free agent this offseason and has almost no value left in the eyes of dynasty owners. He could easily land in a RBBC situation where he could produce.

The one guy I like that no one else seems to care for is Jerome Harrison. He is not far removed from a great stretch of games and still has tread left on the tires. Harrison is a free agent this offseason and has almost no value left in the eyes of dynasty owners. He could easily land in a RBBC situation where he could produce.
I've got him as a handcuff to McCoy. If he stays in Philly, and McCoy is ever injured, Harrison will have great value. Seeing him tear up my Skins in mop-up duty this past season, he's certainly capable of earning meaningful carries somewhere else as well, though.

Assuming Sidney Rice leaves, either Jaymar Johnson or Juaquin Iglesias should have an opportunity. I don't see the Vikes taking a WR in the first couple of rounds.

Malcolm Kelly an upgrade over Armstrong? Huh? Kelly's done absolutely nothing since Oklahoma. He's Dwayne Jarrett except somehow he's still on a roster.
It's time to give up on Malcom Kelly.
Actually, its been speculated that Shanahan LOVES Kelly. He kept him around on IR this past year instead of coming to an injury settlement. He did this, while cutting Devin Thomas outright. And also while saying that he loves Kelly's attitude, work ethic, and hands.So obviously, he had no reason to keep Kelly around, other than because he loved what he saw in mini-camps (before he came back from injury too soon on the first day of training camp, which made him ineligible for the PUP).I'm not sure if he should be rostered in a dynasty leagues right now, until reports start coming out of training camp saying he's getting first team snaps. But in general, he belongs on an NFL roster. And with how weak the Skins WR corps is, if they don't draft a WR fairly high, he's got a shot for significant production in the future, even if they bring Moss back (which I believe they will).

How about Tyrell Sutton once DeAngelo Williams signs with Denver? I think he's a better RB than Goodson, who IMO seems better suited for 3rd down work and he fumbles too much (or seems to without knowing the exact numbers). Sutton is short, but stocky and sturdy with a low center of gravity. Sutton could make a nice backup to Stewart and be one injury away from being fantasy relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread