What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***2012 Baseball Hall of Fame Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Veterans Committee voting: Ron Santo (15 votes, 93.75%); Jim Kaat (10 votes, 62.5%); Gil Hodges (9 votes, 56.25%); Minnie Minoso (9 votes, 56.25%); Tony Oliva (8 votes, 50%); Buzzie Bavasi, Ken Boyer, Charlie Finley, Allie Reynolds and Luis Tiant each received fewer than three votes.

BBWAA Candidates:

Barry Larkin, Jack Morris, Lee Smith, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Edgar Martinez, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker, Mark McGwire, Fred McGriff, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro, Juan Gonzalez, Bernie Williams, Vinny Castilla, Javy Lopez, Ruben Sierra, Jeff Nelson, Jeromy Burnitz, Tim Salmon, Mike Matheny, Edgardo Alfonzo, Danny Graves, Scott Erickson, Tony Womack, Jeff Fassero, Phil Nevin, Carl Everett, Brian Jordan, Eric Young, Tim Worrell, Bill Mueller, Joe Randa, Terry Mulholland, Jose Lima, Matt Lawton, Brad Radke, Rick Helling, Felix Rodriguez and Mike Remlinger

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry Walker is the most deserving that won't make it. Still too soon for McGwire and Raffy. I guess Larkin and possibly Trammell.

Barry Larkin, Jack Morris, Lee Smith, Jeff Bagwell, Tim Raines, Edgar Martinez, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker, Mark McGwire, Fred McGriff, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy

These are the only bbwaa candidates worth a second look. Williams doesn't have the numbers to warrant more than a quick peek before discarding his candidacy.

I could actually see no one getting in this year. If there is one it will be one of Larkin, Morris, Bagwell or McGriff.

Dale Murphy should be in. The later steroid-era has really hurt his career numbers/chances. Murf was the 2nd most dominant player in the National League during the 80s, when he and Schmidt battled for the HR crown with 36-38-40, none of this needle-in-the-butt 60 horsecrap. Murf dominated his era, I hate the Braves, but he belongs in the HOF.

Lee Smith belongs as well. He was a dominant closer, the best in the league for many years, and has the career numbers that the Writers like (see mediocre inductees like Sutton, Perez, Blyleven).

I could listen to arguments for Larkin.

Thats it IMO

Dale Murphy should be in. The later steroid-era has really hurt his career numbers/chances. Murf was the 2nd most dominant player in the National League during the 80s, when he and Schmidt battled for the HR crown with 36-38-40, none of this needle-in-the-butt 60 horsecrap. Murf dominated his era, I hate the Braves, but he belongs in the HOF.Lee Smith belongs as well. He was a dominant closer, the best in the league for many years, and has the career numbers that the Writers like (see mediocre inductees like Sutton, Perez, Blyleven).I could listen to arguments for Larkin. Thats it IMO
Murphy would probably have made it in if he had anything resembling a normal decline phase. But he abruptly stopped hitting at age 32 and missed a lot of games due to knee injuries in the following years. His last full season was at age 35. His struggles in Philadelphia diluted his career numbers and damaged his reputation to some extent. On the other end of his career, the Braves' attempts to keep him at catcher prevented him from becoming a major league regular for a couple of years. At the end of the day, Murphy had a very strong six year peak but not much surrounding it.Lee Smith was kind of a compiler but I can see the arguments in favor of his election.

Dale Murphy should be in. The later steroid-era has really hurt his career numbers/chances. Murf was the 2nd most dominant player in the National League during the 80s, when he and Schmidt battled for the HR crown with 36-38-40, none of this needle-in-the-butt 60 horsecrap. Murf dominated his era, I hate the Braves, but he belongs in the HOF.Lee Smith belongs as well. He was a dominant closer, the best in the league for many years, and has the career numbers that the Writers like (see mediocre inductees like Sutton, Perez, Blyleven).I could listen to arguments for Larkin. Thats it IMO
Murphy would probably have made it in if he had anything resembling a normal decline phase. But he abruptly stopped hitting at age 32 and missed a lot of games due to knee injuries in the following years. His last full season was at age 35. His struggles in Philadelphia diluted his career numbers and damaged his reputation to some extent. On the other end of his career, the Braves' attempts to keep him at catcher prevented him from becoming a major league regular for a couple of years. At the end of the day, Murphy had a very strong six year peak but not much surrounding it.Lee Smith was kind of a compiler but I can see the arguments in favor of his election.
I agree with what you said on Murf--I'm just in favor of electing a 6 year dominant player over a 15 year compiler (Sutton, Blyleven, etc).

I agree with what you said on Murf--I'm just in favor of electing a 6 year dominant player over a 15 year compiler (Sutton, Blyleven, etc).
With that criteria, Bagwell, Raines, Trammel, McGwire and Walker should all be on your ballot too.And Blyleven wasn't a compiler. He was a flat out stud.

'dparker713 said:
With that criteria, Bagwell, Raines, Trammel, McGwire and Walker should all be on your ballot too.And Blyleven wasn't a compiler. He was a flat out stud.
As a starting pitcher Blyleven lost 248 games. He only lost 38 games when his team scored more than 3 runs. He lost 105 games when his team was shutout or scored 1 run.

Lee Smith belongs as well. He was a dominant closer, the best in the league for many years, and has the career numbers that the Writers like (see mediocre inductees like Sutton, Perez, Blyleven).
what years were those? What's his case vs, say, John Franco?

Murphy had 4 seasons where he finished in the Top 5 in OPS+; Blyleven had 7 seasons where he finished in the Top 5 in ERA+.Big fan of both players.

I never remember Bert as a stud/top 5 pitcher in the league. Always saw him as a top 15-20 type guy. A good pitcher, not great. @OSO Diablo--good #s. This is just my opinion as a guy who watched them all play. The rest of the guys on your list...Bags and Rock I can get behind. No to Walker's mile-high #s, Mac is another topic, and hell no to Trammell. If you are nothing more than SS3-4-5 in your era, you aint getting in.The more I think about it...Rock should be getting more consideration. Dude was the only guy in history (sans Lou) who was a peer to Rickey Mofo Henderson, and also compiled stats to make the nerds happy.

I change my mind on this every year...

Larkin

Raines

Edgar

Walker

McGriff

I used to be a strong backer of Jack Morris because I just assumed that Tiger Stadium killed what would have been elite stats. I was pretty surprised to see his career ERA is the same home and away, and his road WHIP is a tick higher than at home. That may have been slightly skewed by a couple of seasons at the end of his career, but not enough to make a big difference. He was nearly a 4.00 ERA type pitcher in mostly a pitcher's era. Realize that ERA is not the be-all but it's not like Morris was elite in the other peripherals either.

I don't think the numbers are there for Lee Smith, but two other things hurt him too: tough for a closer to get in without a postseason resume, and the fact that he moved around so much. Eight different teams, traded a few times for some pretty uninspiring names. I just feel like that kind of player who gets passed around so much for such little returns cannot be elite.

And I still don't understand how Puckett can be in and not Mattingly but I just sound a homer if I try to make that case again.

I don't think the numbers are there for Lee Smith, but two other things hurt him too: tough for a closer to get in without a postseason resume, and the fact that he moved around so much. Eight different teams, traded a few times for some pretty uninspiring names. I just feel like that kind of player who gets passed around so much for such little returns cannot be elite.
While I think continuous tenure with one club definitely helps candidates, I don't think the converse should be a penalty. Smith spent the majority of his career with the Cubs, Red Sox and Cardinals and had success at each stop. He became a rent-a-pitcher toward the end of his career but there a lot of modern players fall into this category. Using trade returns as a measure of value isn't fair HoF criteria either. That's like downgrading Bagwell because he was traded straight up for a 38 year old relief pitcher. Smith was a mid-season move of an expiring contract a couple of times, which really changes the trade equation.

And I still don't understand how Puckett can be in and not Mattingly but I just sound a homer if I try to make that case again.
See post-season resume above. Also, a Gold Glove CF is worth more than a 1B if their offensive production is similar.

While I think continuous tenure with one club definitely helps candidates, I don't think the converse should be a penalty. Smith spent the majority of his career with the Cubs, Red Sox and Cardinals and had success at each stop. He became a rent-a-pitcher toward the end of his career but there a lot of modern players fall into this category. Using trade returns as a measure of value isn't fair HoF criteria either. That's like downgrading Bagwell because he was traded straight up for a 38 year old relief pitcher. Smith was a mid-season move of an expiring contract a couple of times, which really changes the trade equation.

See post-season resume above. Also, a Gold Glove CF is worth more than a 1B if their offensive production is similar.
Fair enough, but that doesn't explain how one guy is a first ballot HOFer and the other can't get 25% of the vote. It wasn't Mattingly's fault that their ace was Dennis Rasmussen.Also, I don't hold it against Smith for the lack of a postseason resume...it's just a fact about voters. They aren't likely to put in a closer without some playoff dominance sprinkled in.

As far as the other aspects of Smith moving around, it's not the same as holding it against Bagwell because when Bags was traded he was a prospect. Smith was an established vet each time he was traded, yet the best player he was ever moved for was Tom Brunansky coming off a .239 season. Again not saying this is the sole reason to keep Smith out, just that it doesn't give me a good feeling about a player's value relative to his era when major league GMs at the time were treating him like a rent-a-player and getting back garbage returns for him. Hall of Famers in the prime of their careers don't get traded for the likes of Al Nipper and Rich Batchelor.

Veterans Committee voting: Santo (15 votes, 93.75%); Jim Kaat (10 votes, 62.5%); Gil Hodges (9 votes, 56.25%); Minnie Minoso (9 votes, 56.25%); Tony Oliva (8 votes, 50%); Buzzie Bavasi, Ken Boyer, Charlie Finley, Allie Reynolds and Luis Tiant each received fewer than three votes.

Tim McCarver, who has served as a national analyst on networks for three decades and simultaneously shined as part of broadcast teams with four big league clubs, has been selected as the 2012 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award, presented annually for excellence in baseball broadcasting by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.McCarver becomes the second primary television analyst to win the Frick Award, joining Tony Kubek, who received the honor in 2009. McCarver will be honored as part of Hall of Fame Weekend 2012, July 20-23, in Cooperstown, New York."Tim McCarver has been the face and voice of baseball's biggest moments on national television," said Hall of Fame President Jeff Idelson. "His wit and intuition, combined with his passion for the game and his down-home style, delivers a trusted insight for viewers. Tim's journey in reaching baseball broadcasting's highest honor has connected generations of New York Mets fans as well as audiences across the country for more than 30 years."
He's always been a bit of a blowhard but he was an excellent analyst in his day. Unfortunately for everybody, his day does not include 2011 but I give the man his due for a long career on the big stage.

dear god. Santo and McCarver?

It's like the powers that be said, "According to our records, Limp Ditka's never visited Cooperstown. Let's do our best to make sure it never happens."

Graves and Helling... hmmmm.
Danny Graves is a first ballot inductee in the one-category fantasy closer hall of fame.
Paved the way for guys like Kevin Gregg and Joe Borowski. Will never be forgotten.If Bogart had a vote, he'd place it on Helling. That 20 win season in '98 was enough.
:lmao: That 98 team was such a ridiculous softball team. So many blowout wins and blowout losses. Helling wasn't even my favorite pitcher that year, it was Aaron Sele. Always felt like Helling was giving up a 3 run homer to tie the game up after the Rangers jumped out to an early lead.

Tim McCarver, who has served as a national analyst on networks for three decades and simultaneously shined as part of broadcast teams with four big league clubs, has been selected as the 2012 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award, presented annually for excellence in baseball broadcasting by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.McCarver becomes the second primary television analyst to win the Frick Award, joining Tony Kubek, who received the honor in 2009. McCarver will be honored as part of Hall of Fame Weekend 2012, July 20-23, in Cooperstown, New York."Tim McCarver has been the face and voice of baseball's biggest moments on national television," said Hall of Fame President Jeff Idelson. "His wit and intuition, combined with his passion for the game and his down-home style, delivers a trusted insight for viewers. Tim's journey in reaching baseball broadcasting's highest honor has connected generations of New York Mets fans as well as audiences across the country for more than 30 years."
He's always been a bit of a blowhard but he was an excellent analyst in his day. Unfortunately for everybody, his day does not include 2011 but I give the man his due for a long career on the big stage.
McCarver is not being inducted into the HOF. It is merely a yearly award for lifetime achievement, but he will not be considered a HOF member.

McCarver is not being inducted into the HOF. It is merely a yearly award for lifetime achievement, but he will not be considered a HOF member.
same induction ceremony, same thread :shrug:

No, no it is not.
Hall of Fame Weekend 2011 will be held July 22-25 in Cooperstown and will feature the induction of Class of 2011 members Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven and Pat Gillick. The Induction Ceremony will be held at 1:30 p.m. ET July 24.The 2011 Induction Weekend will feature the debut of a new Saturday afternoon event that will honor the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum annual award winners in a free event at historic Doubleday Field. The Hall of Fame Awards Presentation will salute the 2011 winner of the Ford C. Frick Award for baseball broadcasting excellence, Dave Van Horne; the Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award winner Roland Hemond; and the 2011 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner for meritorious contributions to baseball journalism, Bill Conlin, with the presentation of the awards and speeches from the award recipients at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown.

No, no it is not.
Hall of Fame Weekend 2011 will be held July 22-25 in Cooperstown and will feature the induction of Class of 2011 members Roberto Alomar, Bert Blyleven and Pat Gillick. The Induction Ceremony will be held at 1:30 p.m. ET July 24.The 2011 Induction Weekend will feature the debut of a new Saturday afternoon event that will honor the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum annual award winners in a free event at historic Doubleday Field. The Hall of Fame Awards Presentation will salute the 2011 winner of the Ford C. Frick Award for baseball broadcasting excellence, Dave Van Horne; the Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award winner Roland Hemond; and the 2011 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner for meritorious contributions to baseball journalism, Bill Conlin, with the presentation of the awards and speeches from the award recipients at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 23, at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown.
OK you win. Go ahead and start a new thread

I'm starting to think about Mattingly much more with the passing of time. At his best, the only "clean" player with a similar or better peak is Bagwell(and he certainly endured his transformation). He had a huge spike then declined pretty clearly due to a documented injury. I don't see why he doesn't get considered more since Puckett sort of went in under similar circumstances.

Also upon reflection, Larkin has to make it and I would also personally put in Trammell. They were the template for the shortstop boom age, along with Ripken.

And I'm coming around to Dale Muprhy too and have been a supporter of Raines.

I'm cooling on Morris as a candidate.

Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame for 2012...

Barry Larkin

Code:
Name                Votes         Yrs on ballotBarry Larkin        495 (86.4%)         3Jack Morris         382 (66.7%)         13Jeff Bagwell        321 (56.0%)         2Lee Smith           290 (50.6%)         10Tim Raines          279 (48.7%)         5Alan Trammell       211 (36.8%)         11Edgar Martinez      209 (36.5%)         3Fred McGriff        137 (23.9%)         3Larry Walker        131 (22.9%)         2Mark McGwire        112 (19.5%)         6Don Mattingly       102 (17.8%)         12Dale Murphy         83 (14.5%)          14Rafael Palmeiro     72 (12.6%)          2Bernie Williams     55 (9.6%)           1Juan Gonzalez       23 (4.0%)           2Vinny Castilla      6 (1.0%)            1Tim Salmon          5 (0.9%)            1Bill Mueller        4 (0.7%)            1Brad Radke          2 (0.3%)            1Javy Lopez          1 (0.2%)            1Eric Young          1 (0.2%)            1Jeromy Burnitz      0 (0%)              1Brian Jordan        0 (0%)              1Terry Mulholland    0 (0%)              1Phil Nevin          0 (0%)              1Ruben Sierra        0 (0%)              1Tony Womack         0 (0%)              1

sigh... of all the things to lament or complain about with HOF voting, an odd vote or two thrown the way of a hometown favorite is way down the list. it's inconsequential.

Users who are viewing this thread