What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Broncos Training Camp Reports (1 Viewer)

For what it's worth, the Manning I saw in that first preseason game seemed to have significantly decreased arm strength, relative to the guy we saw with the Colts. This could be due to sample size, rustiness, weather, timing, or just my untrained eye, so I'll defer to Cecil who has seen quite a bit more. Still, I'll be concerned if I don't see more zip on his throws in later pre-season games.

'Jerry Lawler said:
For what it's worth, the Manning I saw in that first preseason game seemed to have significantly decreased arm strength, relative to the guy we saw with the Colts. This could be due to sample size, rustiness, weather, timing, or just my untrained eye, so I'll defer to Cecil who has seen quite a bit more. Still, I'll be concerned if I don't see more zip on his throws in later pre-season games.
+1May have been a wet ball. Or a wet noodle.

Hey Cecil what is going on man. Where is our Bronco update from Camp/Practice yesterday.??? You got to keep the ball rollin man. Thanks for your hard work.

I would assume the info on the daily email blast is from Cecil.

DEN - QB Peyton Manning looks sharp

Source: The Denver Post - Mike Klis

Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning looked sharp in practice Monday, Aug. 13.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ OUR VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Manning's passes were more crisp than they were Thursday night against the Bears. He even connected with Eric Decker on a 60-yard laser pass down the sidelines. Any concerns about his arm strength are seriously overblown. Sure, he's not 100% but he can still make all the throws required in the NFL.

Any recent updates?

Cecil, is there any merit to the reports that Manning can't throw to his right more than 10 yards downfield? How is his arm strength?

TIA

Color me surprised.

On the one hand we've heard that Manning can make all the throws and is looking really sharp. Then he underwhelms in the preseason games. Now there are reports that he can't throw to his right. How did that get missed in the camp reports? Is anyone else here scratching their heads at this seeming inconsistency?

'Buffaloes said:
Cecil, is there any merit to the reports that Manning can't throw to his right more than 10 yards downfield?
:confused: Where are these reports coming from? He's made these throws during preseason games already.
Cecil goes over this in the podcast last night. It's a specific throw that Manning is struggling with. And by struggling it appears to mean that the throw to the right doesn't look as sharp as the same throw to the left.

I talked about this on last night's show.

This 'can't throw to the right' report comes from John Clayton, Matt Williamson, and Bill Williamson. Clayton and I discussed it when he was out at Dove Valley a couple of weeks ago.

On a 9 route (go) Manning can put proper air under it, and can even throw with zip to the right or anywhere on the field. His 'window' throws (in front of Safety, over Linebacker) to that side don't look as good as the one's to the left. He's made these throws (and plenty of them) in practice.

In games he needs to get used to the speed again because his flutter passes come right, left, or middle. The reason they happen is when he tries to put a little extra spin on it. Any delay in a read or decision that is *just* a little late requires some extra emphasis from his arm and that type of window throw has resulted in some bobble throws.

He doesn't have a young man's arm. There has been no debate over that. I still think he's going to be more than fine when the rust has shaken off. The Broncos could start the season with a rough month of September, after that I expect them to find their groove.

Bottom line, he's not Chad Pennington and 'can't throw to the right' talk is seriously, SERIOUSLY, overblown. Clayton didn't overstate it in his report, it was just his observation from one day at camp. Manning's preseason has not looked as sharp as his practices, and that's on throws everywhere (especially to the middle).

This 'can't throw to the right' report comes from John Clayton, Matt Williamson, and Bill Williamson. Clayton and I discussed it when he was out at Dove Valley a couple of weeks ago.

On a 9 route (go) Manning can put proper air under it, and can even throw with zip to the right or anywhere on the field. His 'window' throws (in front of Safety, over Linebacker) to that side don't look as good as the one's to the left. He's made these throws (and plenty of them) in practice.

In games he needs to get used to the speed again because his flutter passes come right, left, or middle. The reason they happen is when he tries to put a little extra spin on it. Any delay in a read or decision that is *just* a little late requires some extra emphasis from his arm and that type of window throw has resulted in some bobble throws.

He doesn't have a young man's arm. There has been no debate over that. I still think he's going to be more than fine when the rust has shaken off. The Broncos could start the season with a rough month of September, after that I expect them to find their groove.

Bottom line, he's not Chad Pennington and 'can't throw to the right' talk is seriously, SERIOUSLY, overblown. Clayton didn't overstate it in his report, it was just his observation from one day at camp. Manning's preseason has not looked as sharp as his practices, and that's on throws everywhere (especially to the middle).
Cecil, do you attribute that to just rust? Or something else?

Cecil, do you attribute that to just rust? Or something else?
It's rust and it's game speed. I've seen almost every throw he's made as a Denver Bronco (minicamp, OTA, training camp) and I was surprised by his wobble passes. Just gonna take some time.

'Buffaloes said:
Cecil, is there any merit to the reports that Manning can't throw to his right more than 10 yards downfield?
:confused: Where are these reports coming from? He's made these throws during preseason games already.
Cecil goes over this in the podcast last night. It's a specific throw that Manning is struggling with. And by struggling it appears to mean that the throw to the right doesn't look as sharp as the same throw to the left.
I see. And thanks for the follow up, Cecil. Really appreciate your Broncos coverage. It's much better than the Denver rag or pretty much anything I've found in the MSM. :thumbup:

I talked about this on last night's show. This 'can't throw to the right' report comes from John Clayton, Matt Williamson, and Bill Williamson. Clayton and I discussed it when he was out at Dove Valley a couple of weeks ago. On a 9 route (go) Manning can put proper air under it, and can even throw with zip to the right or anywhere on the field. His 'window' throws (in front of Safety, over Linebacker) to that side don't look as good as the one's to the left. He's made these throws (and plenty of them) in practice. In games he needs to get used to the speed again because his flutter passes come right, left, or middle. The reason they happen is when he tries to put a little extra spin on it. Any delay in a read or decision that is *just* a little late requires some extra emphasis from his arm and that type of window throw has resulted in some bobble throws. He doesn't have a young man's arm. There has been no debate over that. I still think he's going to be more than fine when the rust has shaken off. The Broncos could start the season with a rough month of September, after that I expect them to find their groove. Bottom line, he's not Chad Pennington and 'can't throw to the right' talk is seriously, SERIOUSLY, overblown. Clayton didn't overstate it in his report, it was just his observation from one day at camp. Manning's preseason has not looked as sharp as his practices, and that's on throws everywhere (especially to the middle).
Much appreciated Cecil.

Cecil,

I'm really high on Willis McGahee this year. Like 1,200 rushing, 300 receiving, and 10+ TD high. Am I crazy or is it warranted?

TIA.

Cecil, what's the latest on Gerell Robinson?

I was shocked that he went undrafted out of ASU. Seems he's had a pretty quiet preseason though.

Cecil, what's the latest on Gerell Robinson?I was shocked that he went undrafted out of ASU. Seems he's had a pretty quiet preseason though.
I wonder if they're not giving him much time so they can sneak him on to the PS this year. It's just a theory though I'm not sure. From what I've heard though he has great talent just a bit raw to crack the 53 on a roster that is deep at his position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cecil, what's the latest on Gerell Robinson?I was shocked that he went undrafted out of ASU. Seems he's had a pretty quiet preseason though.
I wonder if they're not giving him much time so they can sneak him on to the PS this year. It's just a theory though I'm not sure. From what I've heard though he has great talent just a bit raw to crack the 53 on a roster that is deep at his position.
He's going to sneak through to the practice squad in my opinion. Robinson is not a crisp route runner consistently and he tends to body catch too many passes. However, he has great chemistry with QB Brock Osweiler and could be relied on more next year.

He's going to sneak through to the practice squad in my opinion. Robinson is not a crisp route runner consistently and he tends to body catch too many passes. However, he has great chemistry with QB Brock Osweiler and could be relied on more next year.
If he works on the route running and starts grabbing passes with his hand does he have the physical tools to be a decent target?

Cecil,

What's the latest on Hillman and where is is currently on the depth chart. I was pretty impressed with his play the other night. Seemed like he ran well and I was very impressed with how he performed in pass protection. Looked like he made good decisions with his blitz pickups and With Manning at QB that is going to be key for him getting on the field. How do you project him out for this year and next? When do you think we could see some real relevance from him? FWIW I am a huge Hillman fan and think he's a great fit for what they want to do. TIA and keep up the great work. :thumbup:

Thanks. :thumbup:

Hey Cecil,

Love listening to you on Denver radio! Just a quick question, I'm in a quarterback friendly league and I have the 2nd pick, the first pick will be Aaron Rodgers and I'm torn between Tom Brady and Drew Brees for my pick. I'm concerned about the Pat's offensive line and Brady's age on the other hand having to Sean Payton makes me wonder about how effective Brees will be. What to you think? Who do you think statistically will have a better year?

Hey Cecil,Love listening to you on Denver radio! Just a quick question, I'm in a quarterback friendly league and I have the 2nd pick, the first pick will be Aaron Rodgers and I'm torn between Tom Brady and Drew Brees for my pick. I'm concerned about the Pat's offensive line and Brady's age on the other hand having to Sean Payton makes me wonder about how effective Brees will be. What to you think? Who do you think statistically will have a better year?
Bronco thread, dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cecil,Love listening to you on Denver radio! Just a quick question, I'm in a quarterback friendly league and I have the 2nd pick, the first pick will be Aaron Rodgers and I'm torn between Tom Brady and Drew Brees for my pick. I'm concerned about the Pat's offensive line and Brady's age on the other hand having to Sean Payton makes me wonder about how effective Brees will be. What to you think? Who do you think statistically will have a better year?
Who are these other QBs you speak of?? :confused:

Bronco thread, dude.
Sorry, I'm new here and just figured that out!

Bronco thread, dude.
Sorry, I'm new here and just figured that out!
:thumbup: Good luck this year

Users who are viewing this thread