What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2012 Offseason Dynasty Trades (1 Viewer)

12 team PPRTeam A Gets: BoweTeam B Gets: MJD, M Williams (Tampa)
That's crazy. MJD should be worth way more than Bowe by himself.
Not so sure about that. He's been trying to move MJD for awhile, and it would appear that a lot of people are scared off paying top dollar for whatever reason (past injury, workload, talk of him losing his explosivness, etc). I know I turned him down a time or two (for Mathews, for the AZ duo-plus, etc). But this time the price was right. But if he has a bad season, his value will plummet mightily.

'jwb said:
'bengalbuck said:
'jwb said:
Not so sure about that. He's been trying to move MJD for awhile, and it would appear that a lot of people are scared off paying top dollar for whatever reason (past injury, workload, talk of him losing his explosivness, etc). I know I turned him down a time or two (for Mathews, for the AZ duo-plus, etc). But this time the price was right. But if he has a bad season, his value will plummet mightily.
In this league, you can start as few as 1 RB and as many as 5 WR. Although you can also start as many as 4 RB, its always risky to carry so much value at RB when given the flexibility of carrying more WRs instead (due to longevity of RB vs WR, increased risk of injury, etc). As a result, WR generally trade at a premium over RBs. Straight up, in this league, I would probably call MJD and Bowe even.

'jwb said:
'bengalbuck said:
'jwb said:
In this league, you can start as few as 1 RB and as many as 5 WR. Although you can also start as many as 4 RB, its always risky to carry so much value at RB when given the flexibility of carrying more WRs instead (due to longevity of RB vs WR, increased risk of injury, etc). As a result, WR generally trade at a premium over RBs. Straight up, in this league, I would probably call MJD and Bowe even.
And that. :)

'jwb said:
'bengalbuck said:
'jwb said:
I agree with this and considered it to be a very fair trade. I would prefer Bowe over MJD given the requirements, so adding Mike isn't that much to get the deal done and address a need. I can see why LP made the trade - he's the best team in his division now. Similarly, Falcons post-trade is still the best team in his division.

Some recent ones from my league: 16 team ppr, full IDP,contracts next to names:

Team A gave Sidney Rice(2), Shane Vareen(3), and Mario Fannin(3)

Team B gave Dwane Bowe(3) and Daniel Thomas(4)

Another:

Team B gave Shane Vareen(4) and 2013 3rd(5)

Team C gave Vernon Davis(2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be interested in thoughts on this one. Standard poor rules

Team A Gave - Andre Johnson

Team B Gave - Desean Jackson, Ryan Williams, AJ Jenkins

Would be interested in thoughts on this one. Standard poor rulesTeam A Gave - Andre JohnsonTeam B Gave - Desean Jackson, Ryan Williams, AJ Jenkins
I'd still take Andre. DeSean can be frustrating to own, don't know if williams comes back from the patella, and Jenkins has Alex Smith throwing to him. When Andre plays, he plays big.

Would be interested in thoughts on this one. Standard poor rulesTeam A Gave - Andre JohnsonTeam B Gave - Desean Jackson, Ryan Williams, AJ Jenkins
I'd still take Andre. DeSean can be frustrating to own, don't know if williams comes back from the patella, and Jenkins has Alex Smith throwing to him. When Andre plays, he plays big.
I agree with you, but I could understand if team A was rebuilding.

Thanks for the thoughts. I was the side getting Andre,so I feel pretty good about it, even though I gave up some youth. I would say we probably have two of the top three teams, so neither was in a rebuild.

Just made another deal in the same league. Standard ppr , but tight ends get double yardage (8 tight ends were top 40 scorers last year and we can start 3)...so Fred Davis held a lot of value for me.

Gave - Lesean McCoy, Arrelious Benn, Dennis Pitta

Got - Jamaal Charles, Mike Wallace, Fred Davis

Just made another deal in the same league. Standard ppr , but tight ends get double yardage (8 tight ends were top 40 scorers last year and we can start 3)...so Fred Davis held a lot of value for me. Gave - Lesean McCoy, Arrelious Benn, Dennis PittaGot - Jamaal Charles, Mike Wallace, Fred Davis
With the TE rule I like it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. MJD outscored Bowe in PPR 289 to 213 last season. If you can use either guy as a flex, what is the benefit to Bowe? If one owner had MJD in the flex spot vs. Bowe in the flex spot, he'd have a 5 point advantage on average every single week. While WRs do generally last longer, MJD is younger than Bowe. Plus Bowe is possibly going to holdout this season, further lessening his value. Maybe 2 or 3 years from now, Bowe will be outscoring MJD and have a couple years in his 30s where he's still fantasy relevant, but is that worth likely giving up quite a few PPG in the medium-term? Especially when you can get Jennings as a super cheap handcuff/long-term replacement?I buy your explanation that your league values WRs more highly than RBs (and obviously starting requirements matter), but I'm not so sure that it should be that way. I suspect a smart owner might be able to win your league with a RB-heavy strategy if guys like MJD are worth less than Bowe.

'finito said:
'solorca said:
Just made another deal in the same league. Standard ppr , but tight ends get double yardage (8 tight ends were top 40 scorers last year and we can start 3)...so Fred Davis held a lot of value for me. Gave - Lesean McCoy, Arrelious Benn, Dennis PittaGot - Jamaal Charles, Mike Wallace, Fred Davis
With the TE rule I like it.
That seems really cheap for Davis. With that scoring rule he could be worth almost as much as McCoy.

12 team PPR (TE 1.25)

Puerto Rico gave up:

Year 2012 Draft Pick 1.10

Year 2012 Draft Pick 1.11

Year 2012 Draft Pick 2.05

Year 2012 Draft Pick 2.07

South Carolina gave up:

Turner, Michael ATL RB

Year 2012 Draft Pick 1.05

'bengalbuck said:
We'll have to agree to disagree. MJD outscored Bowe in PPR 289 to 213 last season. If you can use either guy as a flex, what is the benefit to Bowe? If one owner had MJD in the flex spot vs. Bowe in the flex spot, he'd have a 5 point advantage on average every single week. While WRs do generally last longer, MJD is younger than Bowe. Plus Bowe is possibly going to holdout this season, further lessening his value. Maybe 2 or 3 years from now, Bowe will be outscoring MJD and have a couple years in his 30s where he's still fantasy relevant, but is that worth likely giving up quite a few PPG in the medium-term? Especially when you can get Jennings as a super cheap handcuff/long-term replacement?I buy your explanation that your league values WRs more highly than RBs (and obviously starting requirements matter), but I'm not so sure that it should be that way. I suspect a smart owner might be able to win your league with a RB-heavy strategy if guys like MJD are worth less than Bowe.
Stop the insanity folks there is no league where Bowe is worth more than MJD right now.

Team A (6-7 in 2011) gave up:Jackson, DeSean PHI WRYear 2013 Round 1 Draft Pick from Team AYear 2013 Round 2 Draft Pick from Team ATeam B gave up Nicks, Hakeem NYG WRTeam C (6-7 in 2011) gave up:Moss, Randy SFO WR Year 2013 Round 2 Draft Pick from Team CTeam D gave up:Meachem, Robert SDC WR
I would glady take Nicks for D-Jax and a 1st/2nd I can't trade D-Jax for anything

12 team, fairly basic scoring and rosters

Team A gets:

Jermichael Finley

2012 picks 1.05, 4.09

Team B gets:

Antonio Brown

2012 1.12

2013 1st(team A won league last year)

Team A gets:

Andre Johnson

2012 picks 1.06, 3.06

Team B gets:

Chad Greenway

2012 picks 1.05, 1.10

Team A gives:Jeremy MaclinTeam B gives:Roddy White
Not sure about this one. I guess it is fair but Maclin's value is trending up as talk of him breaking out in a major way after being slowed down last off season. While Roddy has admitted he's going to get less work with Julio emerging as the wr1

Continued from Post #2426

Team C gets Ponder, Christian MIN QB; Jacobs, Brandon SFO RB; Johnson, Chris TEN RB; Gettis, David CAR WR; Harvin, Percy MIN WR

Team E gets Cutler, Jay CHI QB; Hillman, Ronnie DEN RB; Murray, DeMarco DAL RB; Moore, Denarius OAK WR; Toon, Nick NOS WR

Team B gets Best, Jahvid DET RB; Little, Greg CLE WR

Team C gets Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB; Quick, Brian STL WR

Continued from Post #2426Team C gets Ponder, Christian MIN QB; Jacobs, Brandon SFO RB; Johnson, Chris TEN RB; Gettis, David CAR WR; Harvin, Percy MIN WRTeam E gets Cutler, Jay CHI QB; Hillman, Ronnie DEN RB; Murray, DeMarco DAL RB; Moore, Denarius OAK WR; Toon, Nick NOS WRTeam B gets Best, Jahvid DET RB; Little, Greg CLE WRTeam C gets Stewart, Jonathan CAR RB; Quick, Brian STL WR
I prefer Stewart/Quick by a lot over Best/Little

PPR Start 1QB/3WR/2RB/1TE

I gave:

Matt Forte

Christian Ponder

Santonio Holmes

I get:

Matt Schaub

Kenny Britt

Jake Locker

I feel my team (see sig) is making a push for the championship and before this trade went down I was going into the season with Flynn as my starting QB. In the deal I got someone I can feel comfortable with starting as well as a great upgrade at WR with Britt. I also liked getting Locker who I can see turning into a pretty decent QB within a couple years. I think I sold a little low on Forte and thinned out my RB situation a little, but I like the deal for my team as a whole going forward. Forte's contract situation and his likely RBBC with Bush has made me really nervous on what type of value he will have later on.

Team D gets Williams, Ryan ARI RB; Moore, Denarius OAK WR; Randle, Reuben NYG WR; Toon, Nick NOS WR

Team E gets Graham, T.J. BUF WR; Hilton, TY IND WR; Wallace, Mike PIT WR

Team C gets Williams, Ryan ARI RB; Randle, Reuben NYG WR

Team D gets Quick, Brian STL WR

Team D gets Cobb, Randall GBP WR

Team J gets Smith, Steve CAR WR

Team D gets Charles, Jamaal KCC RB; Brown, Antonio PIT WR; Ford, Jacoby OAK WR; Moore, Lance NOS WR; Sanders, Emmanuel PIT WR

Team I gets Bush, Michael CHI RB; Forte, Matt CHI RB; Decker, Eric DEN WR; Toon, Nick NOS WR; Young, Titus DET WR

Last edited by a moderator:
12 Team pprTeam A gave up:Luck, Andrew IND QBTeam B gave up:Cruz, Victor NYG WR
Better be a start 3-QB league.
Ehh. If I had traded Joey Galloway for Peyton Manning before Manning's rookie year, I would have been happy. Galloway was one year older in 1997 than Cruz was in 2011, but both were top 5 WRs the season before our "trade for Colts early 1st round QB" scenarios.Galloway went on to put up 178 points of VBD over the course of the rest of his career, registering VBD points in only 5 more discrete seasons. Peyton went on to put up 1081 points of VBD in the time since that hypothetical trade. You would have been set at QB every single year from 1998-2010 with no questions asked.If Luck truly is someone you believe to be that good, then he is overwhelmingly worth more than Cruz...who isn't even the best receiver on his team and has likely already had the best season of his career.I'll take Luck.

Ehh. If I had traded Joey Galloway for Peyton Manning before Manning's rookie year, I would have been happy. Galloway was one year older in 1997 than Cruz was in 2011, but both were top 5 WRs the season before our "trade for Colts early 1st round QB" scenarios.Galloway went on to put up 178 points of VBD over the course of the rest of his career, registering VBD points in only 5 more discrete seasons. Peyton went on to put up 1081 points of VBD in the time since that hypothetical trade. You would have been set at QB every single year from 1998-2010 with no questions asked.If Luck truly is someone you believe to be that good, then he is overwhelmingly worth more than Cruz...who isn't even the best receiver on his team and has likely already had the best season of his career.I'll take Luck.
Now imagine your scenario but you're trading for Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith or Heath Shuler instead of Peyton Manning. It's not that I don't think Luck will be great, I just think it's very strange that you're picking Manning/Galloway in this specific scenario - I don't think it really is applicable unless you think Cruz's career will be derailed by injuries like Galloway's was.

Now imagine your scenario but you're trading for Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith or Heath Shuler instead of Peyton Manning. It's not that I don't think Luck will be great, I just think it's very strange that you're picking Manning/Galloway in this specific scenario - I don't think it really is applicable unless you think Cruz's career will be derailed by injuries like Galloway's was.
Honestly, I was 5 years old back then, so I have no idea what happened to Galloway. I just went to 1997, picked a top 5 WR with a comparable VBD and age vs the top 2 WRs as Cruz had last year, and five minutes later...And the reason you make the trade is because you think Luck is a Manning type of player. Sure, he could be Leaf. And then the Cruz side would be better. My larger point was simply that it's a pretty good deal, though risky, that pays off big if Luck hits and may or may not hurt big if he doesn't. I don't know that I would make the trade, but to say "It better be a start 3 QB league" is simply an uneducated statement. That was my only point: that it is an entirely plausible deal backed with solid reasoning in a standard dynasty league.

16 team .5 ppr

Craigentinny Chargers gave up:

Brown, Donald IND RB

Carter, Delone IND RB

Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR

Year 2013 Round 3 Draft Pick from Craigentinny Chargers

Year 2014 Round 1 Draft Pick from Craigentinny Chargers

Year 2014 Round 2 Draft Pick from Craigentinny Chargers

Forrester Thunder gave up:

Jennings, Greg GBP WR

Year 2013 Round 1 Draft Pick from Queensferry Dolphins

Users who are viewing this thread