What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>2012 World Series Thread: Tigers v Giants<<&#60 (1 Viewer)

Who wins?

• Total voters
A four pitch leadoff walk is a gift, especially to Pence with the way he's been swinging the bat.
That was just dumb. Especially the 2-0 curveball...should have just been a fastball down the middle.Did panda hit that last ball on a hop?

For the second straight game the better starter is staring at a loss. Have you said one positive thing about him since the trade?

For the second straight game the better starter is staring at a loss. Have you said one positive thing about him since the trade?
Yes, after he started out terrible in 3 of his first 4 starts, I always acknowledged his good performances and I said they should sign him for $10-12 million if they can get him for that. I just don't see him as better than Fister or even Scherzer as many people were saying. But he has been better as late and is right up there with them.

Your last comment says otherwise, guy pitched a gem with one mis step and his value is falling in your eyes.

Insane.

Your last comment says otherwise, guy pitched a gem with one mis step and his value is falling in your eyes.Insane.
The comment was after the second inning, which he was entirely responsible for. He obviously got his act together and pitch well since. But he looked very wild that inning and really did not look like he was going to last.

Dammit. Tigers just cannot get a clutch hit ...stranding everybody (well, except the ones getting wiped out early on with double plays). :kicksrock:

Add in the Wolverines' performance and I officially call this a lousy night. :(

Um, no
Incorrect
How? Vogelsong pitched out of jams. Sanchez did not.
He got A LOT of help. Don't get me wrong. He didn't pitch poorly and he made the right pitches at the right time against a team severely pressing but he was not the best arm on the mound tonight. In fact, he was third

Um, no
Incorrect
He got A LOT of help. Don't get me wrong. He didn't pitch poorly and he made the right pitches at the right time against a team severely pressing but he was not the best arm on the mound tonight. In fact, he was third
:ptts:

Borrowing a political thread title in the FFA

Does anyone think that DETROIT can win this thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, no
Incorrect
Again, how did he get help?I never felt like Vogelsong was out of control. Sanchez was wild in the second inning.1. How do you walk Pence on four pitches? That shows a lack of control and not understanding your opponent. Throw some strikes, I doubt Pence will do much.2. No control on a wild pitch (almost threw a second one that inning)3. The hardest hit ball of the night is by Blanco in a spot where you can not let him hit it out of the infield. Instead he hits it 400 ft for an easy triple.4. 2 outs, Blanco on third, he can't escape the inning with just one run.In contrast, when Vogelsong was in trouble:1. WEAK ground ball DP with one out, 1st and 2nd by Fielder2. WEAK ground ball DP with one out, 1st and 2nd by Berry3. After loading the bases, strikes out Berry and gets the Triple Crown Winner to hit a WEAK pop upDetroit lost because Sanchez couldn't calm his nerves in the second. I don't translate that as being a better pitcher especially when you are the home pitcher.

Um, no
Incorrect
Again, how did he get help?I never felt like Vogelsong was out of control. Sanchez was wild in the second inning.1. How do you walk Pence on four pitches? That shows a lack of control and not understanding your opponent. Throw some strikes, I doubt Pence will do much.2. No control on a wild pitch (almost threw a second one that inning)3. The hardest hit ball of the night is by Blanco in a spot where you can not let him hit it out of the infield. Instead he hits it 400 ft for an easy triple.4. 2 outs, Blanco on third, he can't escape the inning with just one run.In contrast, when Vogelsong was in trouble:1. WEAK ground ball DP with one out, 1st and 2nd by Fielder2. WEAK ground ball DP with one out, 1st and 2nd by Berry3. After loading the bases, strikes out Berry and gets the Triple Crown Winner to hit a WEAK pop upDetroit lost because Sanchez couldn't calm his nerves in the second. I don't translate that as being a better pitcher especially when you are the home pitcher.
Detroit has lost because they were SHUTOUT for the last 18 innings. Pitching has been good enought the last two games.

Seriously, are the Tigers going to show up?
I don't think that's fair. It implies the Giants are rolling over them because they haven't shown up. The Giants pitching also held the Cardinals great offense to one run in Games 5, 6 and 7. When you hold teams with offenses this good to four runs over the course of six games, props must be given.

Um, no
Incorrect
Detroit has lost because they were SHUTOUT for the last 18 innings. Pitching has been good enought the last two games.
MAC32 asserted that Detroit had better starting pitching in Games 2 and 3. TJNC countered that Vogelsong's situational pitching was worth more than Sanchez's superior strikeout numbers. I don't think they were arguing about Detroit's biggest failings of the series.However, TJ missed an easier opportunity to debunk MAC's statement, because Bumgarner outpitched Fister in Game 2 (not that Fister didn't have a great game as well).

Kind of disappointed (obviously not as much as Tiger fans) -- thought this had a chance to be a memorable Series.

Lifelong Tiger Fan Blues

by Jeff Daniels

I've been a baseball fan since I was a little boy

Had a bedroom full of little baseball toys

A bat and a ball and a Wilson glove

Yeah, me and my national past time

we was oh so in love.

Every opening day oh I still get that itch

I can hardly wait for that very first pitch

All my hope and dreams all replaced

I get visions of my Tigers in the pennant race

Win or lose, I got the lifelong Tiger fan blues.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I got a 119 tattoo

Peace

Vogelsong pitched well and the Tigers are hitting like ####. Both of these things are true. It's not that Vogelsong's good pitching is the sole reason and it's also not that the Tigers terrible hitting is the sole reason for this. However, I think the Tigers terrible hitting was a bigger reason than Vogelsong's pitching. Swinging at terrible pitches when you have no business doing it (such as Berry on the 2-1 pitch with the bases loaded) is what is killing this team and they did this for long stretches the whole year. They make good pitchers look like Cy Young and make bad pitchers look good (i.e. game 2).

Kind of disappointed (obviously not as much as Tiger fans) -- thought this had a chance to be a memorable Series.
It still could be. If Detroit can win a couple of well-played games - especially if Scherzer and Verlander can throw a couple of gems - then the series could be memorable for the overall quality of the pitching (following JV's early meltdown). This series has come down to baseball fundamentals, which I really enjoy. Unfortunately, SF has done everything right. [i'm convinced that if Fielder gets held up early in game 2 and the Tigers put together a rally and an early lead, the series could have an entirely different complexion.]

Borrowing a political thread title in the FFADoes anyone think that DETROIT can win this thing
The way they are hitting, I don't think they can even win game 4 right now. I give them a 10% chance at best to win game 4. But for the sake of discussion, let's assume the Tigers win game 4. Then what? Verlander pitches game 5 and I would practically guarantee he pitches like he did in the clincher against Oakland. I would expect the Tigers to win game 5 if it gets that far. If the above happens, it could get VERY interesting. I was totally unimpressed with Bumgarner's stuff in game 2. I could not believe the Tigers couldn't hit this guy. Of course, they can't hit anyone right now. But if they get to a game 6, it will probably mean they are out of their hitting slump and if that is true, they will pummel this guy in game 6 and win easily. If the above holds true, it goes to a game 7 and anything can happen. The big advantage for the Tigers is the pressure would be squarely on the Giants and one would think the pressure would be enormous. So basically, I will go out on a limb and state for the record that if the Tigers can find a way to win game 4, they will win the World Series. But the way they look at the plate, I am not hopeful of seeing a chance for this to play out. But it would be fun to see if it happens.

It still could be. If Detroit can win a couple of well-played games - especially if Scherzer and Verlander can throw a couple of gems - then the series could be memorable for the overall quality of the pitching (following JV's early meltdown). This series has come down to baseball fundamentals, which I really enjoy. Unfortunately, SF has done everything right. [i'm convinced that if Fielder gets held up early in game 2 and the Tigers put together a rally and an early lead, the series could have an entirely different complexion.]
Right now the Tigers do not have a legit #2 hitter. Berry has shown why he has been released 4 times. Berry had two horrible ABs in big situations last night. Plus when doe does make contact it usualy it a lazy ground ball. If anything Berry should a a late inning defensive replacement/pinch runner.And I know that Fielder had a couple of bad ABs as well but we know what Fielder is capable of..Berry is just not capable of much.

Triple Crown winner Miggy and da Prince, have gone a combined 3-for-19 with one RBI and 12 runners left on base so far. This is all you need to know why the tigers are behind.

I don't think that's fair. It implies the Giants are rolling over them because they haven't shown up. The Giants pitching also held the Cardinals great offense to one run in Games 5, 6 and 7. When you hold teams with offenses this good to four runs over the course of six games, props must be given.
:goodposting:Time to give some credit to the Gmen

Last edited by a moderator:
This. Heck, before the series started FOX analysis put two check marks beside the Tigers pitching as they had them as much better than the Giants. But when Barry Zito has as many RBIs as Cabrera, Fielder and Young COMBINED (1), your offense is what hasn't shown up.

The Giants try to become the 4th team to finish last in MLB in HRs and win World Series. Others: '24 Senators '65 Dodgers &amp; '82 Cards

Users who are viewing this thread