What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 Hot Stove & Capella's Fabulous Cornhole Thread (1 Viewer)

I guess I just dont understand the point of extending Trout now. Why not just take advantage of a few more low salary years and then give him a monster deal towards the end of his arbitration eligible period?
Because the closer he gets to the end of arbitration, the more likely he just decides to test free agency at the age of 26. If Trout gets even to say the last two years than there is no reason for him to really take an extension since he will get 20+ in arbitration anyways. Additionally prices are just going to continue to rise so you may be looking at a 26 year old Trout commanding 40-45M a year in FA and the Angels will probably not be able to outbid the Yankees or Dodgers.
Easy there......
Take a look at some of the various articles out there predicting his FA value... General feeling is a win using WAR is worth between $6-7M a year. Trout has had 10+ WAR each of his first two seasons which is ridiculous and would seem unsustainable but even drop his WAR down to say 8 and you are looking at a "value" of $48M per year on the low end. If you want to predict any regression in the later years of say a 8 year deal beginning after age 26 season and you may want to average him for 6-7WAR per season. That's a low end contract of 8 years, $6M*7WAR, so $42 mil per year over 8.

I guess I just dont understand the point of extending Trout now. Why not just take advantage of a few more low salary years and then give him a monster deal towards the end of his arbitration eligible period?
Because the closer he gets to the end of arbitration, the more likely he just decides to test free agency at the age of 26. If Trout gets even to say the last two years than there is no reason for him to really take an extension since he will get 20+ in arbitration anyways. Additionally prices are just going to continue to rise so you may be looking at a 26 year old Trout commanding 40-45M a year in FA and the Angels will probably not be able to outbid the Yankees or Dodgers.
Easy there......
Take a look at some of the various articles out there predicting his FA value... General feeling is a win using WAR is worth between $6-7M a year. Trout has had 10+ WAR each of his first two seasons which is ridiculous and would seem unsustainable but even drop his WAR down to say 8 and you are looking at a "value" of $48M per year on the low end. If you want to predict any regression in the later years of say a 8 year deal beginning after age 26 season and you may want to average him for 6-7WAR per season. That's a low end contract of 8 years, $6M*7WAR, so $42 mil per year over 8.
Not to mention a win using WAR will likely be worth more in five years.

I mostly agree with you, but I don't blame them for trying to get creative to avoid the 10/300 type deals. If you project him 0.5M this year and avg 20M in arb, that gives him 60.5M for the next 4 years and basically 2/90 after that. I would think that any time between now and 3 years from now, he's not turning down 2/90 extension that allows him to reenter FA still young and possibly get 10yrs somewhere else then.

I think the best solution for the Angels would be to lock him up to a 8ish year deal now for 200M or so, but I think it's likely that isn't what Trout wants to do.

Easy there......
When I posted the link to the possible extension, I was going to comment that he'll probably be the first 50m/yr player when he needs to re-up. Wouldn't surprise me 6-7 years from now.

Billy Bats said:
Easy there......
When I posted the link to the possible extension, I was going to comment that he'll probably be the first 50m/yr player when he needs to re-up. Wouldn't surprise me 6-7 years from now.
They will find out what he's on before then

Oakland A's fans are trolling everyone.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/awards/y2014/faceofmlb/

They're voting currently on the face of mlb. Each team had one player get nominated. For whatever reason, Sogard got nominated as the face of Oakland. He beat Anthony Rizzo, Troy Tulowitzki, Buster Posey, and is now crushing Jose Bautista 67%-33% to make it to the finals.

:lmao:

Billy Bats said:
Susan Slusser ‏@susanslusser 18m

I asked Josh Reddick how many times he has watched the replays of his catches. "Four times," he said, adding with a grin, "Four times FIVE."

Last edited by a moderator:
Puig up to 251 now?

weight, not OBP
:porked:
Trout showed up at 240 last year. Puig has two inches on him.
Might be a bit of media double standard but I think when Trout showed up most reports assumed/said it was muscle. The trend of the articles with Puig seems to be fat, fair or not.
I remember everyone freaking their #### when Trout showed up heavy. I don't remember anyone thinking it was muscle. Maybe I drink too much.

Annyong said:
The Flying Elvis said:
dparker713 said:
Puig up to 251 now?

weight, not OBP
:porked:
Trout showed up at 240 last year. Puig has two inches on him.
Might be a bit of media double standard but I think when Trout showed up most reports assumed/said it was muscle. The trend of the articles with Puig seems to be fat, fair or not.
I remember everyone freaking their #### when Trout showed up heavy. I don't remember anyone thinking it was muscle. Maybe I drink too much.
Trout showed up heavy with 9% body fat.

Isn't the trend lately to show up 20 pounds or so overweight, with the expectation that you'll lose it over the course of the season, and, if you didn't start overweight, you'd be underweight by playoff time?

Isn't the trend lately to show up 20 pounds or so overweight, with the expectation that you'll lose it over the course of the season, and, if you didn't start overweight, you'd be underweight by playoff time?
I think it was Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post wrote an interesting article on player weights this week.

They're voting currently on the face of mlb. Each team had one player get nominated. For whatever reason, Sogard got nominated as the face of Oakland. He beat Anthony Rizzo, Troy Tulowitzki, Buster Posey, and is now crushing Jose Bautista 67%-33% to make it to the finals.

That's awesome. He will crush Wright as well. It's the glasses.
No way Wright won this fair and square..... you darn well know MLB stepped in on this one.

That's awesome. He will crush Wright as well. It's the glasses.
No way Wright won this fair and square..... you darn well know MLB stepped in on this one.
Maybe Mets fans decided they finally wanted to win something.

Anyone buying into the Dee Gordon resurrection? Guy has always hit in the minors and his BB/SO ratio last year in Albuquerque was damn good. If he can get on base at a .350 clip, he'll steal 70 bases.

Anyone buying into the Dee Gordon resurrection? Guy has always hit in the minors and his BB/SO ratio last year in Albuquerque was damn good. If he can get on base at a .350 clip, he'll steal 70 bases.
He's terrible. You'd think the Dodgers would be able to buy better 2B and 3B.

They tried. That $28M on Guerrero looks like a total waste.
I don't know why they didn't just stand pat with Mark Ellis. He's not exciting but he's better and lower risk than Guerrero, Gordon, Figgins, etc.

They tried. That $28M on Guerrero looks like a total waste.
I don't know why they didn't just stand pat with Mark Ellis. He's not exciting but he's better and lower risk than Guerrero, Gordon, Figgins, etc.
Darwin Barney!!!!!!

Rick Ankiel is retiring. I was rooting for the ultimate plot twist, where he switches back to pitching in hopes of hanging on as a LOOGY for another 4-5 years.

It was a fun ride, Ricky.

Rick Ankiel is retiring. I was rooting for the ultimate plot twist, where he switches back to pitching in hopes of hanging on as a LOOGY for another 4-5 years.

:tips40forRick:

His comeback story will be one for the ages if he pitches again.

:tips40forRick:

His comeback story will be one for the ages if he pitches again.
Talk about a guy who could relate to almost any player. I would think he has a ton to offer an organization through front-office and/or coaching.

in honor of Dr. Frank Jobe, Luke Hochevar is having Tommy John surgery.

Too bad for Hochevar who looked like he had finally figured things out last season. He's eligible for free agency in 2015 and would have been able to cash in if he had another productive year.

in honor of Dr. Frank Jobe, Luke Hochevar is having Tommy John surgery.

Too bad for Hochevar who looked like he had finally figured things out last season. He's eligible for free agency in 2015 and would have been able to cash in if he had another productive year.
Oh man, that sucks for the Royals. Guy finally found his niche and now he's gonna have to start all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread