What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread *** (2 Viewers)

Going to have a series of posts on the blog on players having key medical evaluations this week -- Marcus Lattimore, Jarvis Jones, Matt Barkley, Dion Jordan and a few others -- but I thought it might be interesting to give a little flavor on what the players experience during the medical exam process.

Welcome LB31, The NFL Will See You Now

5. Who is Cordarrelle Patterson?

If the name’s not familiar yet, brace yourself, because you’ll be hearing a lot about him in the next few months. Patterson didn’t put up big numbers in college at Tennessee, but he’s already being ranked above California’s Keenan Allen and West Virginia’s Tavon Austin as this year’s top wideout prospect.

Why? Because he can end up being the next A.J. Green. Patterson’s story is somewhat wild. He didn’t play football at North Carolina Tech, ended up at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas where he excelled before transferring to Tennessee after being recruited by then-coach Derek Dooley.

As a junior, he wasn’t expected to do much, but after the Vols dismissed Da’Rick Rogers for disciplinary reasons, Patterson stepped up. In just 12 games as a Division 1-A player, he caught 46 balls and opened scouts’ eyes — not so much for his production, but for his potential.

At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, he’s got the build and the natural abilities to be a huge talent at the next level. He separates from corners, has elite speed and a knack for the dramatic catch. He also returns kicks and punts incredibly well. Dynamic is the word everyone uses when describing Patterson.

Justin Blackmon was the fifth overall pick a season ago and a widely touted prospect coming out of Oklahoma State. I’ve spoken to some league sources who think Patterson could end up being the even more sought-after player. It’ll all start in Indianapolis this week, where everyone expects him to put on a show.
The hype for this guy is really reaching a fever pitch. Reading this stuff would make you think he's the best WR prospect since Calvin. Comparisons to AJ Green? Suggestions that he could be more coveted than Blackmon? Extremely high praise for a guy who had exactly one 100+ yard game in his college career (against Troy) and caught 5 or more passes just three times. I'm going to go back and watch everything I can find on this guy before the draft, but right now I think he has a huge boom-or-bust vibe about him. Obviously he has some compelling physical qualities. Very little produection and experience though. With a guy like Blackmon, you had two seasons full of evidence that he could thrive against a variety of difficult competition. With this guy, you are taking a huge leap of faith based on a projection of what you think he is. Production wise, he was the second best WR on his own college team.
As someone who watches almost no college football, and reads all spring about guys I have never seen, this makes me wonder not about Patterson so much, but EVERYONE else in this class.

If the names not familiar yet, brace yourself, because youll be hearing a lot about him in the next few months. Patterson didnt put up big numbers in college at Tennessee, but hes already being ranked above Californias Keenan Allen and West Virginias Tavon Austin as this years top wideout prospect.

Why? Because he can end up being the next A.J. Green. Pattersons story is somewhat wild. He didnt play football at North Carolina Tech, ended up at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas where he excelled before transferring to Tennessee after being recruited by then-coach Derek Dooley.

As a junior, he wasnt expected to do much, but after the Vols dismissed DaRick Rogers for disciplinary reasons, Patterson stepped up. In just 12 games as a Division 1-A player, he caught 46 balls and opened scouts eyes not so much for his production, but for his potential.

At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, hes got the build and the natural abilities to be a huge talent at the next level. He separates from corners, has elite speed and a knack for the dramatic catch. He also returns kicks and punts incredibly well. Dynamic is the word everyone uses when describing Patterson.

Justin Blackmon was the fifth overall pick a season ago and a widely touted prospect coming out of Oklahoma State. Ive spoken to some league sources who think Patterson could end up being the even more sought-after player. Itll all start in Indianapolis this week, where everyone expects him to put on a show.
The hype for this guy is really reaching a fever pitch. Reading this stuff would make you think he's the best WR prospect since Calvin. Comparisons to AJ Green? Suggestions that he could be more coveted than Blackmon? Extremely high praise for a guy who had exactly one 100+ yard game in his college career (against Troy) and caught 5 or more passes just three times. I'm going to go back and watch everything I can find on this guy before the draft, but right now I think he has a huge boom-or-bust vibe about him. Obviously he has some compelling physical qualities. Very little produection and experience though. With a guy like Blackmon, you had two seasons full of evidence that he could thrive against a variety of difficult competition. With this guy, you are taking a huge leap of faith based on a projection of what you think he is. Production wise, he was the second best WR on his own college team.
As someone who watches almost no college football, and reads all spring about guys I have never seen, this makes me wonder not about Patterson so much, but EVERYONE else in this class.
Think its just that theres no standouts at any position really. WR in particular looks deep to me but above average deep, no studs. You could take the top 8 guys and completely turn them upside down and nobody would blink an eye. Probably will change a bit after the actual draft though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This happens every year; a player gets buzz after the professionals do their work. If the pros decide Patterson is a standout and a legit top 5-7 pick, it's not because the class is weak. He's not a QB; teams are just fine passing on WRs if the value isn't there. Patterson is a physical freak - more so than Blackmon - and we are hearing more and more about his potential standing among the NFL personnel. Don't let the fact that we haven't heard "top 10" from the mock draft community discredit what the professionals think. There is a reason names like this are late risers; the people that matter start sharing their opinions and we all react.He's only "boom or bust" becuase we haven't seen much of him, and didn't hear about him prior to this year. If he played next year and repeated, he wouldn't have that tag. He's a great athlete - very quick for his size and very dangerous in space. He catches with his hands (though, not enough) and well in traffic. I don't see where the potential bust tag is coming from.

Production wise, he was the second best WR on his own college team.
Count his rushing yards and he had 1,086 - more than AJ Green's and Hunter's career highs. And that is ignoring his nearly 800 return yards (and 2 TDs, added to his 8 TDs from scrimmage). I guess we need to define what production means.

If the name’s not familiar yet, brace yourself, because you’ll be hearing a lot about him in the next few months. Patterson didn’t put up big numbers in college at Tennessee, but he’s already being ranked above California’s Keenan Allen and West Virginia’s Tavon Austin as this year’s top wideout prospect.

Why? Because he can end up being the next A.J. Green. Patterson’s story is somewhat wild. He didn’t play football at North Carolina Tech, ended up at Hutchinson Community College in Kansas where he excelled before transferring to Tennessee after being recruited by then-coach Derek Dooley.

As a junior, he wasn’t expected to do much, but after the Vols dismissed Da’Rick Rogers for disciplinary reasons, Patterson stepped up. In just 12 games as a Division 1-A player, he caught 46 balls and opened scouts’ eyes — not so much for his production, but for his potential.

At 6-foot-3, 205 pounds, he’s got the build and the natural abilities to be a huge talent at the next level. He separates from corners, has elite speed and a knack for the dramatic catch. He also returns kicks and punts incredibly well. Dynamic is the word everyone uses when describing Patterson.

Justin Blackmon was the fifth overall pick a season ago and a widely touted prospect coming out of Oklahoma State. I’ve spoken to some league sources who think Patterson could end up being the even more sought-after player. It’ll all start in Indianapolis this week, where everyone expects him to put on a show.
The hype for this guy is really reaching a fever pitch. Reading this stuff would make you think he's the best WR prospect since Calvin. Comparisons to AJ Green? Suggestions that he could be more coveted than Blackmon? Extremely high praise for a guy who had exactly one 100+ yard game in his college career (against Troy) and caught 5 or more passes just three times. I'm going to go back and watch everything I can find on this guy before the draft, but right now I think he has a huge boom-or-bust vibe about him. Obviously he has some compelling physical qualities. Very little production and experience though. With a guy like Blackmon, you had two seasons full of evidence that he could thrive against a variety of difficult competition. With this guy, you are taking a huge leap of faith based on a projection of what you think he is. Production wise, he was the second best WR on his own college team.
Below is a quote from one of our discussions in the 2014 dynasty thread.
'EBF said:
I took Richardson in the 6th round of that ill-fated Aquil Salahudeen league after his freshman year. You could see the talent, even if the production was modest. It was pretty apparent from day one that he was a can't-miss type of prospect.
You quoted no production over and over again as a negative for Patterson, while it was okay for Richardson because you could see the talent. Which is it?You said limited production:

Patterson in 2010= 52 receptions 908 yards 9 TD, 19 rushing yards(2.7 ave) 0 TDs, 645 return yards 3 return TDs

Patterson in 2011= 61 receptions 924 yards 15 TD, 379 rushing yards(11.8 ave) 6 rushing TDs, 482 return yards 3 return TDs

2 time JUCO all-american

Patterson in 2012= 46 receptions 778 yards 5 TD, 308 rushing yards(12.3 ave) 3 rushing TDs, 772 return yards(26.6 ave) 2 return TDs

-Set an SEC record in combined kick/punt return average

-Set a Tennessee record in total yards

You can argue he didn't have a great 1 year of receiving stats in the SEC or discredit the competition because of his JUCO years. But to say he didn't produce is ignorant.

Second best WR on his college team:

-I think we can all agree that entering a new team with established veterans isn't easy. Patterson(16.9) had a better YPC than Justin Hunter (14.8) and had his best month of college football in November(his last) averaging 21.7 YPC. Meaning, he was improving as the season progressed.

-Ronnie Brown/Cadillac Williams/Brandon Jacobs were all in the same backfield at Auburn, Joe Flacco transferred out of Pitt because Tyler Palco was the starter, etc. Didn't mean the backups weren't better than the #1 in stats.

I'll be releasing an article within the next few weeks showing the elusiveness Patterson displayed during his one year in the SEC, it is amazing.

Richardson was great as a freshman. Averaged 5.2 YPC. Looked awesome. The only reason he didn't have more yards is because Ingram had already established himself as the starter. As far as Patterson goes, I just think it's funny that a guy who is touted as a dominant prospect wasn't even dominant in college. I don't put that much stock in college production, but it's not irrelevant either. I expect more than one 100+ yard game in a season from a guy who is touted as the best WR in his draft class. You can look at just about any other WR prospect in this draft who figures to go in the top 60, and they were all more productive catching the ball.None of this means that he can't be great. He has some compelling physical tools. And while he wasn't that productive catching the ball, he did make some plays in the rushing and return game. Obviously the team that drafts him is doing so based more on a projection of what he might become than on the merit of his achievements. I'm fine with that. I was pretty high on Harvin as a prospect and he wasn't any more productive as a receiver. However, I still think Patterson presents more bust risk than the typical top 15-20 WR. One thing I'd point out is that a pretty significant percentage of first round WRs bust. Just because this guy is the trendy pick of the moment doesn't mean he's going to pan out. Take a step back and look at the odds. DHB, Ted Ginn, Robert Meachem, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Charles Rogers, Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie. All were first round picks. All were massive busts. Of course we all know that these guys were lemons with the benefit of hindsight, but if you could go back in time you would find plenty of people willing to buy the hype. It's smart to put stock in draft position because teams invest a lot of time and money into identifying the right players, but they're not perfect by any means. If you just blindly take the pundit buzz as fact, you are going to get stuck with a lot of grenades. After following the draft for a long time, I've noticed that even pro scouts have blind spots. One of those is looking at an athletic specimen and thinking that you can mold him into a football player. That's how you end up with Jake Locker, Matt Jones, Stephen Hill, Jerome Simpson, and Kyle Boller. I'm not saying Patterson is the next in that tradition, but you have to at least consider the possibility that pundits are overrating the measurables. He could end up like Vincent Jackson, but he could also end up like Donte Stallworth. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't entertain the possibility of both outcomes.

Richardson was great as a freshman. Averaged 5.2 YPC. Looked awesome. The only reason he didn't have more yards is because Ingram had already established himself as the starter.

Sounds similar to Patterson with Hunter already established. I'd say he "looked awesome" by setting records as well.

As far as Patterson goes, I just think it's funny that a guy who is touted as a dominant prospect wasn't even dominant in college. I don't put that much stock in college production, but it's not irrelevant either. I expect more than one 100+ yard game in a season from a guy who is touted as the best WR in his draft class. You can look at just about any other WR prospect in this draft who figures to go in the top 60, and they were all more productive catching the ball.

I've never said Patterson is AJ Green/etc, but what do you define as production? Mass volume/quality/game changing plays? I can tell you multiple times on film where Patterson took a 5-7 yard hitch, made multiple defenders miss and it became a 30-50 yard play. I consider that better production than a WR being wide open deep because of scheme or a defender having a missed asignment(Stephen Hill/Kendall Wright last year).

None of this means that he can't be great. He has some compelling physical tools. And while he wasn't that productive catching the ball, he did make some plays in the rushing and return game. Obviously the team that drafts him is doing so based more on a projection of what he might become than on the merit of his achievements. I'm fine with that. I was pretty high on Harvin as a prospect and he wasn't any more productive as a receiver. However, I still think Patterson presents more bust risk than the typical top 15-20 WR.

Agreed he carries more risk, but I think every team is projecting players. David Terrell was the safest pick in the draft, Charles Rodgers was also safe.

Is he risky because he is a JUCO player? If so, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, Cam Newton, etc were JUCO guys

One thing I'd point out is that a pretty significant percentage of first round WRs bust. Just because this guy is the trendy pick of the moment doesn't mean he's going to pan out. Take a step back and look at the odds. DHB, Ted Ginn, Robert Meachem, Troy Williamson, Mike Williams, Matt Jones, Reggie Williams, Charles Rogers, Donte Stallworth, Ashley Lelie. All were first round picks. All were massive busts. Of course we all know that these guys were lemons with the benefit of hindsight, but if you could go back in time you would find plenty of people willing to buy the hype.

What's the point of this in the discussion?

It's smart to put stock in draft position because teams invest a lot of time and money into identifying the right players, but they're not perfect by any means. If you just blindly take the pundit buzz as fact, you are going to get stuck with a lot of grenades. After following the draft for a long time, I've noticed that even pro scouts have blind spots. One of those is looking at an athletic specimen and thinking that you can mold him into a football player. That's how you end up with Jake Locker, Matt Jones, Stephen Hill, Jerome Simpson, and Kyle Boller. I'm not saying Patterson is the next in that tradition, but you have to at least consider the possibility that pundits are overrating the measurables.

What's the difference in Percy Harvin? The Vikings saw a multi-purpose productive guy and made it work. Harvin only had one receiving season better than Patterson in college out of three.

He could end up like Vincent Jackson, but he could also end up like Donte Stallworth. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't entertain the possibility of both outcomes.

Concerns with Patterson:-He does have a "showy" side to him and has been penalized.-Body catches too much-Fades away on some of his routes, instead of coming back to the QB-Saw a physical DB take him out of the play a few times-Has dropped a couple of easy passes

Marquise Goodwin, Jesse Williams will be stars of NFL combine

By Daniel Jeremiah

Analyst, NFL.com and NFL Network

The NFL Scouting Combine provides an enormous stage for top prospects to show off their athleticism. There are always a dozen or so players who see their draft stock climb with solid performances, while another dozen or so create concern amongst NFL evaluators with poor performances.

The 2013 draft class features plenty of payers capable of "wowing" evaluators with their testing numbers. I've listed 10 such workout warriors below. As an added bonus, each possesses the football skills to be a solid NFL player.

1) Texas WR Marquise Goodwin

Goodwin is my leading candidate to create the most buzz with his combine performance. He won the long-jump title at the 2012 U.S. Olympic Trials (with a jump of 27 feet, 4.25 inches) before finishing 10th in the London Olympics. He is obviously going to jump extremely well in Indianapolis, and I won't be shocked if he sneaks under 4.30 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

2) Oklahoma OT Lane Johnson

Before moving to offensive tackle at Oklahoma, Johnson lined up as a quarterback, tight end and defensive end. He is incredibly athletic for a 300-pounder, and he's been timed in the 4.7s. He had a dominant week at the Senior Bowl; the buzz on him should continue to build when he posts some eye-popping numbers at the combine.

3) Missouri LB Zaviar Gooden

Gooden really helped his stock with a solid Senior Bowl performance. Now he's going to get a chance to really wow evaluators with his speed and explosiveness. Last spring, NFL scouts timed Gooden at 4.39, and he also posted a 40-inch vertical during his time in the Missouri strength program. He is expected to post around 30 reps on the 225-pound bench test.

4) BYU DE Ziggy Ansah

Ansah is an absolute freak. He grew up in Ghana, playing soccer and basketball before arriving at BYU. The former member of the BYU track team (he competed in the 200-meter dash) has been timed in the low 4.6s at over 270 pounds, and he's also posted a 39-inch vertical jump. He was the defensive player of the game at the Senior Bowl, and the buzz will continue to build after he's finished testing at the combine.

5) SMU DE Margus Hunt

Hunt is a unique player with a very interesting background. He grew up in Karksi-Nuia, Estonia and was a track star. He won gold medals in the shot and the discus at the 2006 World Junior Championships. He checked in at 6-foot-8 and weighed 277 pounds at the Senior Bowl. He is expected to run in the 4.7 neighborhood and leap around 9-10 in the broad jump. I had a chance to watch him train at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., last month, and he was very impressive in the shuttle drills as well.

6) Florida State OT Menelik Watson

Watson is another player with a unique sporting background. He grew up as a basketball player in England before attending Marist College in New York to play hoops. He has also has a boxing background and actually spent time working out with Oscar De La Hoya's trainer. He is a raw football player but a freaky athlete. He should break 5.0 in the 40 at 6-6 and more than 300 pounds.

7) West Virginia WR Tavon Austin

Austin has never been timed in the 40 at West Virginia, but after watching him, it's pretty obvious to me that he will test extremely well. He should post a sub-4.4 time, and he will destroy the shuttle drills; he also has a very good shot at breaking the combine's three-cone record.

8) LSU DE Barkevious Mingo

Mingo's speed and athleticism jumped off the videotape when I evaluated him. On runs away from him, he displays a rare burst to close on the ball carrier. He has been timed in the mid 4.5s and is expected to post a broad jump in the 10-7 range.

9) Alabama DT Jesse Williams

Williams is yet another prospect with an international background. He grew up in Brisbane, Australia, before attending Arizona Western College to play football. The work he did in the weight room after arriving at the University of Alabama is the stuff of legend. He has reportedly posted a 600-pound bench press. That's not a typo. He has a real shot at breaking the bench-press record at the combine and should also run under 5.0.

10) Texas A&M RB Christine Michael

Michael had an up-and-down career for the Aggies, but his stock is on the rise following a solid week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game. He is expected to test extremely well at the combine. He should weigh-in at around 225 pounds and run in the mid 4.4s. His combination of size and speed will stand out in a position group that's filled with players possessing either one or the other, but not both.

Ten more players who will post eye-popping numbers at the combine: Georgia LB Alec Ogletree, Arkansas-Pine Bluff OT Terron Armstead, Florida DT Sharrif Floyd, Oregon State WR Markus Wheaton, Missouri Southern State DT Brandon Williams, Georgia DE Cornelius Washington, Oregon DE Dion Jordan, Tennessee WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Sam Houston CB Daxton Swanson, Southeastern Louisiana CB Robert Alford.

2013 combine: 10 players to watch

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

February 19, 2013 4:07 pm ET

The annual NFL Scouting Combine begins on Wednesday, and 333 prospects have been invited to Indianapolis this year to put their skills on display for representatives from all 32 NFL teams. The combine runs from Wednesday through Feb. 26.

Prospects will be poked, prodded and put through a various array of drills, both physical and mental. They will also undergo an extensive medical and interview process throughout the week as teams dig to find out as much as possible about this year's crop of prospects.

The combine will be crucial for dozens of prospects, but more important for some. Here are 10 prospects to watch:

1. ILB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame

It's been a roller coaster last two months for the Notre Dame linebacker after a lackluster national title performance and the hoax controversy that became national news. Te'o is still very much in the first-round discussion, but the interview process will be crucial to his draft standing. Teams want to know if he has the mental toughness and confidence to deal with what the next level will bring.

2. QB Tyler Bray, Tennessee

There might not be a more talented quarterback in this class than Bray, who is the only underclassman at the position invited to Indianapolis this year. He has the height, feet and the arm talent to easily make every NFL throw, but he has struggled with consistency issues. Bray will have to answer concerns about his maturity and prove to teams that he's worth the risk.

3. DB Tyrann Mathieu, LSU

Without the off-field concerns, Mathieu has the playmaking skills to be a first-round pick. However, after his dismissal from LSU and a laundry list of off-field issues, his draft stock is a mystery and scouts are going to put him under a microscope this week. Mathieu also hasn't played organized football in more than a year, so his physical condition will be scrutinized as well.

4. WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas

A world-class athlete, Goodwin participated in the London Olympics last summer (placed 10th in the long jump) and is one of the best athletes in this year's draft class. He had a career-low 26 catches as a senior in Austin, but he was often misused in the Longhorns' offense and missed almost all of their summer practices. Goodwin is still rough around the edges, but he will test off-the-charts.

5. OLB Jarvis Jones, Georgia

A productive SEC pass rusher, Jones will probably test well in the drills, but his combine performance will be judged based on his medical evaluation. His “spinal stenosis” issue is something that should allow him to have an NFL career, but for how long? The long-term diagnosis is tough to predict, but the evaluation from the training staff in Indianapolis will carry a lot of weight.

6. OT Menelik Watson, Florida State

Although he's not a household name just yet, Watson is an interesting prospect for several reasons. A native of Manchester, England, he starred at the JUCO ranks before transferring and spending one season with the Seminoles. Watson still has a lot of work to do in terms of his development, but he is a freakishly athletic big man who will impress in Indy.

7. QB Geno Smith, West Virginia

In a quarterback class that doesn't have a certain top-20 prospect, Smith has an opportunity at Lucas Oil Stadium to shine with all 32 teams studying him. He needs to stand out not only on the field during passing drills, but also throughout the interview process as scouts grill him on his football knowledge and passion, especially after West Virginia's late-season collapse and his decision to skip the Senior Bowl.

8. DE Ezekiel Ansah, BYU

Although he didn't start playing football until 2010 and wasn't named a starter until this past season, Ansah is a talent who will create a lot of discussion in war rooms across the league. The Africa-native is still very inexperienced, and his role at the next level is undefined, but he should test well athletically in drills. During interviews, scouts will also be curious to determine Ansah's love for football.

9. DE Barkevious Mingo, LSU

A candidate to be a “workout warrior” this week, Mingo had only four sacks as a junior, but he could be one of the top pass rushers drafted in April based on athletic upside. He still needs to develop in several areas and continue to fill out his frame, but if he shines during the agility and positional drills as expected, it wouldn't be surprising to see a team take a chance on him in the top 10.

10. WR Cordarrelle Patterson, Tennessee

While there isn't an A.J. Green or Calvin Johnson-type of prospect in this class, the 2013 NFL Draft still has several first-round caliber receivers, including Patterson. He has just one year of experience at the FBS level and is raw in several areas, but his natural athleticism is exciting. For him to potentially be drafted in the top-10, he must showcase that athleticism in Indy.

Keenan Allen won't participate in the Combine (per CBS Sports):

Cal's Keenan Allen, projected by many NFL Draft analysts as a first-round pick in April's NFL Draft, will not work out at this week's Combine in Indianapolis, his agent J.T. Johnson confirmed to CBSSports.com Wednesday morning.

The 6-3, 212-pound Allen, who NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock compared to Baltimore Ravens star Anquan Boldin, is Cal's all-time leader in receptions having caught 205 passes for 2,570 yards and 17 touchdowns in three seasons in Berkeley despite the Bears struggles in the passing game. Last season, Allen missed three games due to what had been deemed a Grade 2 posterior cruciate ligament tear in his left knee. NFL teams have been eager to gauge Allen's speed and were hopeful to see him run the 40 in Indianapolis, but they'll have to wait about six more weeks to do so.

Allen had some swelling in his knee while he was training. He went to get an MRI and saw noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who diagnosed Allen as having a Grade 2 PCL strain. According to Allen's agent, Andrews told the 20-year-old wideout that his injury should not ever require surgical intervention.

Allen is scheduled to have a follow-up exam with Andrews on March 11. Allen will continue to do rehab to strengthen his quad muscles while the knee heals and he will only run routes at Cal's Pro Day on March 14, Johnson said.

Allen will have a separate pro day in the first week of April, where any team that wants to see him run the 40 or test him in the vertical or do any physical drills can would be able to do so then.

My link

so great the maybe top RB Lacy and maybe the top WR allen won't workout :angry: :thumbdown: :yawn:

I believe he didn't run deep routes at Cal because he doesn't have the speed to get behind people. The fact that he's not a threat with the ball in his hands shows up in bright neon in his collegiate stats. Plus, reports out of IMG say he doesn't look like anything special. And now we don't get an accurate time at the combine. Anyone drafting Allen gets what they deserve. He's a bust waiting to happen.

I believe he didn't run deep routes at Cal because he doesn't have the speed to get behind people. The fact that he's not a threat with the ball in his hands shows up in bright neon in his collegiate stats. Plus, reports out of IMG say he doesn't look like anything special. And now we don't get an accurate time at the combine. Anyone drafting Allen gets what they deserve. He's a bust waiting to happen.
You're absolutely right.

I must be color blind. Could you please show those to me? ETA: The reports out of IMG saying he doesn't look special may have something to do with the fact that he's still dealing with the knee injury? Perhaps?

'EBF said:
He could end up like Vincent Jackson, but he could also end up like Donte Stallworth. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't entertain the possibility of both outcomes.
Wouldn't that be the case with 95%+ of the players we discuss?

'Concept Coop said:
This happens every year; a player gets buzz after the professionals do their work. If the pros decide Patterson is a standout and a legit top 5-7 pick, it's not because the class is weak. He's not a QB; teams are just fine passing on WRs if the value isn't there. Patterson is a physical freak - more so than Blackmon - and we are hearing more and more about his potential standing among the NFL personnel. Don't let the fact that we haven't heard "top 10" from the mock draft community discredit what the professionals think. There is a reason names like this are late risers; the people that matter start sharing their opinions and we all react.He's only "boom or bust" becuase we haven't seen much of him, and didn't hear about him prior to this year. If he played next year and repeated, he wouldn't have that tag. He's a great athlete - very quick for his size and very dangerous in space. He catches with his hands (though, not enough) and well in traffic. I don't see where the potential bust tag is coming from.
Strongly disagree with paragraph one. Teams get pressured to solve a problem at a premium position like wr. If there isn't a standout desperate teams will find a way to justify someone. Happens every year, obviously qb but cb, dl, and wr too.

Strongly disagree with paragraph one. Teams get pressured to solve a problem at a premium position like wr. If there isn't a standout desperate teams will find a way to justify someone. Happens every year, obviously qb but cb, dl, and wr too.
There are plenty of drafts in which WRs don't go in the top 10. Sure, some teams reach for need. But, in general, if a WR goes top 10, it is because they grade the player as such.

There are plenty of drafts in which WRs don't go in the top 10. Sure, some teams reach for need. But, in general, if a WR goes top 10, it is because they grade the player as such.
... But why are they graded as such? Usually it's because they have elite production and measurable. Projectible types don't get drafted thatearly. If he does this year then it's due to desperation, not a rationale grade. I wouldn't do it but I can see a team justifying him late day one or early day two, not earlier though.

You're absolutely right.
Allen has the highest floor in this class.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sskHoNba-JEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhdVSwSPIocNot every WR prospect has to run a 4.3 or be the next AJ Green/Calvin/Julio Jones to be good in the NFL.

If he does this year then it's due to desperation, not a rationale grade. I
Ha ha. Oh, Mac.
What other cases are there of top 15 wrs with limited production and elite measureables? The Georgia Tech wrs are the only ones I can think of and they have a very strong reason. Add to that the character red flags that have circled. Someone may take him that early, doesn't make it a good pick. The top of the first round is not the time to play russian roulette. Teams that do often get fired shortly thereafter.

Ha ha. Oh, Mac.
What other cases are there of top 15 wrs with limited production and elite measureables? The Georgia Tech wrs are the only ones I can think of and they have a very strong reason. Add to that the character red flags that have circled. Someone may take him that early, doesn't make it a good pick. The top of the first round is not the time to play russian roulette. Teams that do often get fired shortly thereafter.
Limited production, didn't we already cover this?Michael Crabtree and Justin Blackmon didn't have elite measureables, but elite production and they went top ten.AJ Green stats in college:08= 56 receptions 963 17.2 8 TD09= 53 receptions 808 15.2 6 TD10= 57 receptions 848 14.9 9 TDPatterson= 46 receptions 778 16.9 5 TD, also 1000 other total yards and 5 more TDs.

Ha ha. Oh, Mac.
There are talks about many scouts making these claims. This isn't a DHB reach we are talking about here, where one team falls in love with a 40 time. It is very clear that the kid has special potential, and if a team feels they can use that, and that it is worthy of a top 10 pick - they will draft him.Limited production? He had more yards from scrimmage than AJ Green ever did - 8 TDs too. And nearly 800 return yards and 2 more TDs added there. Why are the yards he added on the ground not considered production?

Not every WR prospect has to run a 4.3 or be the next AJ Green/Calvin/Julio Jones to be good in the NFL.
Very true, I liked Cecil Shorts coming into the league for example.But NFL quality WRs do have to be able to threaten a collegiate defense with a big play when they get the ball. And Allen really doesn't do that very often.

Not every WR prospect has to run a 4.3 or be the next AJ Green/Calvin/Julio Jones to be good in the NFL.
Very true, I liked Cecil Shorts coming into the league for example.But NFL quality WRs do have to be able to threaten a collegiate defense with a big play when they get the ball. And Allen really doesn't do that very often.
The quality of his QB cannot be dismissed here, Zach Maynard was beyond bad. Allen made plenty of 3rd down/4th down catches for first downs, can make DB's miss, high point a jump ball, quick feet, good size, etc. Marquess Colston/Larry Fitzgerald/Brandon Marshall/Stevie Johnson/Eric Decker are all possession players, like Keenan Allen, that are affective at the next level. None of them are 4.3 speed demons, but use size/hands/positioning/etc to make big plays.ETA: Maynard is at least a half yard less YPA behind Matt Barkley/Geno Smith/Tyler Bray. Over the season, that's a lot of yards. To say he has physical limitations is an understatement.

Ha ha. Oh, Mac.
Limited production, didn't we already cover this?Michael Crabtree and Justin Blackmon didn't have elite measureables, but elite production and they went top ten.AJ Green stats in college:08= 56 receptions 963 17.2 8 TD09= 53 receptions 808 15.2 6 TD10= 57 receptions 848 14.9 9 TDPatterson= 46 receptions 778 16.9 5 TD, also 1000 other total yards and 5 more TDs.
FWIW, AJ Green missed 3 games in 2009 and 4 games in 2010; else he breaks 1000 yards in both seasons.

I must be color blind. Could you please show those to me?
They threw him the ball a lot. He didn't do very much with it once it got to him.
You have confirmed that you have not watched him play, nor have an understanding between not having great deep speed versus being good after the catch. A. boldin camparison he is drawing is because he does stuff after catching the ball, but is not a consistent long play treat. Pretty much people who watched Allen play largely think he is excellent with the ball in his hands.Here is Matt Waldman for example. This goes on about his ability to separate, but starts with extreme compliments about him withthe ball in his hands. http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/04/03/cal-wr-keenan-allen-creating-separation-with-his-hands/

Ha ha. Oh, Mac.
FWIW, AJ Green missed 3 games in 2009 and 4 games in 2010; else he breaks 1000 yards in both seasons.
Good point. Patterson doesn't get any credit for having a much better YPC or a little slack for transitioning to Tennessee/new offense/chemistry with QB/etc?

Ha ha. Oh, Mac.
There are talks about many scouts making these claims. This isn't a DHB reach we are talking about here, where one team falls in love with a 40 time. It is very clear that the kid has special potential, and if a team feels they can use that, and that it is worthy of a top 10 pick - they will draft him.Limited production? He had more yards from scrimmage than AJ Green ever did - 8 TDs too. And nearly 800 return yards and 2 more TDs added there. Why are the yards he added on the ground not considered production?
It shows he could be a very good returner... But is he a great wr? Comparing him to ted ginn would be unfair but his case must be kept in mind when evaluating a guy like Patterson. Is he just an athletic freak? Or can he play football too? One is a day three project, the other is a first round pick. That's why I have Patterson somewhere in between, ignoring the risk here would be a mistake.

Miles Austin was the most productive WR in the NFL over a 16 game stretch, before Romo went down, and before his hamstring gave up. He did so without being a great in-route receiving threat, the way, say, his teammate Dez Bryant is. He was never a "throw it up and he'll come down with it" guy, nor did he have great hands. He was great because of what he did after the ball was in his hands. Patterson isn't as strong as Austin, but he is much quicker. He'll be able to separate and handle man-to-man coverage - so he'll be able to play outside - but he'll be deadly when teams can move him around get him in space. I don't think Patterson is any more likely to bust than anyone in this class, including Allen. I think what Patterson does well, will translate. He might not have the hands to be Green/Julio, but he'll be dangerous in space and a physical mismatch. I would rather worry about Patterson's questions than worry about whether or not a guy will be able to create separation at the next level.

That's why I have Patterson somewhere in between, ignoring the risk here would be a mistake.
There is risk with every player and this guy is being talked about as the #1 WR in his class for a reason. No disrespect, but I going with the professionals on this one.

I'm very big with statistics, but I use it in conjunction with skills.Terrance Williams led the NCAA in yards last season, but I don't like him as an NFL prospect because he lacks skills/athletic ability.Patterson has special skills, can he develop the others?

That's why I have Patterson somewhere in between, ignoring the risk here would be a mistake.
There is risk with every player and this guy is being talked about as the #1 WR in his class for a reason. No disrespect, but I going with the professionals on this one.
We all have our methods of evaluation, if I expected everyone to take my word as gospel i would be nuts. My reasoning stems from the reasons prospects bust. Health, over valuing potential, being an idiot, and not caring about football. You can't control issue one, but you can control the latter three. I would never draft any of those types before the end of round one. Others may, I prefer to take my risks later. Same story with my fantasy teams. I will take gambles outside of round one in rookie drafts and outside the first few rounds in yearly leagues. My foundation? No way. Roll snake eyes on a couple of foundation pieces and you're likely sunk.

We all have our methods of evaluation, if I expected everyone to take my word as gospel i would be nuts. My reasoning stems from the reasons prospects bust. Health, over valuing potential, being an idiot, and not caring about football. You can't control issue one, but you can control the latter three. I would never draft any of those types before the end of round one. Others may, I prefer to take my risks later. Same story with my fantasy teams. I will take gambles outside of round one in rookie drafts and outside the first few rounds in yearly leagues. My foundation? No way. Roll snake eyes on a couple of foundation pieces and you're likely sunk.
No doubt, and I can't blame anyone for thinking he is risky. I just don't think the fact that you think he is risky means the team drafting him in the top 10 is reaching.

Certainly agree with the start-up drafting theory. However in FF rookie drafts, give me a player with a chance to be a FF WR1/2(Patterson) vs the safe players of Quinton Patton/DeAndre Hopkins/etc. Just like in those trade threads, the studs matter vs quantity. Obtaining them, risky or not, is important too. That's why grabbing a guy like Lattimore, while he's injured isn't a bad play because he's a low value. He used to be the 1.1 in some people's eyes.

Certainly agree with the start-up drafting theory. However in FF rookie drafts, give me a player with a chance to be a FF WR1/2(Patterson) vs the safe players of Quinton Patton/DeAndre Hopkins/etc. Just like in those trade threads, the studs matter vs quantity. Obtaining them, risky or not, is important too. That's why grabbing a guy like Lattimore, while he's injured isn't a bad play because he's a low value. He used to be the 1.1 in some people's eyes.
I have pick 1.12, if Lattimore falls he is the pick. I will strongly consider Hopkins before Patterson, probably not Patton though. As I have said from the beginning about this specific crop situation matters so much more than previous years. A lower ceiling early round pick in a good situation will get the bump over Patterson in my book.

I have pick 1.12, if Lattimore falls he is the pick. I will strongly consider Hopkins before Patterson, probably not Patton though. As I have said from the beginning about this specific crop situation matters so much more than previous years. A lower ceiling early round pick in a good situation will get the bump over Patterson in my book.
I agree situations, where NFL teams draft them will help. I also like Hopkins a ton more than Patton.

I thought Allen would be a good fit with the Vikings because they don't go deep often anyways. People were telling me that he would never fall to 23. If he still has lingering injury issues he could fall even further.

Users who are viewing this thread