What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** 2013 Official Philadelphia Eagles - NFC EAST CHAMPS*** (1 Viewer)

I don't think you can keep Foles even if they bring in Alex Smith or Dixon.... Smith and Dixon would run a completely different type of offense then Foles would.... You can't have such different styles in QB's... Say they get Smith and he becomes starter.... If he then gets hurt, you'd have to completely change the offense for Foles.. No way you can install two completely different types of packages for 2 separate guys..... Since we brought in Chip, you have to let him run his offense... We didn't bring him in to change his style to the NFL model.... I do like FOles, but he is the traditional square peg round hole type of enigma right now... Package him to Andy for swap of firsts take Joeckel and pick up another pick or 2 along the way.... I just can't see keeping 2 completely differnt style QB's with Chip Kelly's offense....

ok, so whats going on with QB?Foles doesnt seem like a fit, Vick kinda does but he's expensive. Dennis Dixon? really?
Kapernick wasnt the same type of QB Harbaugh had at StanfordRussell Wilson wasnt the same type of QB Carrol had at USCI'm willing to wait and see what type of QB Kelly uses here.
Right, good coaches adapt the offense/defense to what kind of players they have.with a top4 pick, seemingly 2 different QB types on roster in Vick and Foles and rumors of adding Dennis Dixon. seems a little messy.

ok, so whats going on with QB?Foles doesnt seem like a fit, Vick kinda does but he's expensive. Dennis Dixon? really?
Kapernick wasnt the same type of QB Harbaugh had at StanfordRussell Wilson wasnt the same type of QB Carrol had at USCI'm willing to wait and see what type of QB Kelly uses here.
Right, good coaches adapt the offense/defense to what kind of players they have.with a top4 pick, seemingly 2 different QB types on roster in Vick and Foles and rumors of adding Dennis Dixon. seems a little messy.
I guess I expect things to be messy with a new coach taking over a 4-12 team :shrug: You see the Dixon type of signs a lot when new coaches take over a team. He knows the old playbook and has some NFL experiance. Bringing him in can only help...if it starts to hurt you cut him.Vick will be gone too

As I said a page or two ago, this Dennis Dixon thing is being overplayed IMHO. Signing him, if in fact we do, is not some indication that he's going to be a starter. To my mind it's analogous to when Jim Harbaugh acquired Josh Johnson for the 49ers roster. Johnson knew his system from college, was the kind of "teammate" he wanted, and served as a piece to help get the rest of the team onboard with Harbaugh's ways. That's what a Dixon signing would mean for the Eagles, it would give Chip a guy that could show everyone else how he does things and likes things to be done.

Sounding like Vick won't be cut this week. Doesn't necessarily mean he won't get cut, cause apparently that $3 million is irrelevant if he gets picked up by another team. Still means that they weren't just waiting to cut him, and he will be given his chance to win the job/restructure contract.

Sounding like Vick won't be cut this week. Doesn't necessarily mean he won't get cut, cause apparently that $3 million is irrelevant if he gets picked up by another team. Still means that they weren't just waiting to cut him, and he will be given his chance to win the job/restructure contract.
I think it'll be a big mistake if we end up keeping him, but then again I'm not a GM for a reason. :)

I think it'll be a big mistake if we end up keeping him, but then again I'm not a GM for a reason. :)
I see no reason why we would or even how we could.Why would he restructure? He's going to get cut making that amount of money. If we express interest in restructuring why wouldnt he test the waters and see how much is out there?

I see no reason why we would or even how we could.Why would he restructure? He's going to get cut making that amount of money. If we express interest in restructuring why wouldnt he test the waters and see how much is out there?
Nobody else wants him any more than we would. I think that's very possible. Only a few teams don't have something at QB, and most of those teams will get a rookie. He needs to have a good year as starter and then test the market. A lot of the teams that seemed like good fits are now ruled out. Buffalo fired Gailey. NY hired Mornhinweg and said they are not interested. ARI went with Arians who seems less likely than Whisenhunt to play desperate. OAK will get Palmer to restructure and give Pryor half a chance. Just not that many doors open ATM.From the Eagles standpoint, who is a better option? Dixon? Foles? Vick is a better bridge to the actual franchise QB. If he stays he's y-to-y and as soon as someone looks good enough, he's back to the bench/cut the next year

I don't think Vick or Foles fit Kelly's offense in college so I think he is going to get a college QB and start from scratch plus bring in Dixon to help out. I keep hearing people on the radio saying Vick fits his system but Kelly wants a quick thinking accurate Qb which Vick isn't. Kelly also says he hates sacks and turnovers and Vick probably is the worst Qb in the NFL at taking sacks.

I really hope they give Foles a chance as starter, I'm not a fan of this rookie QB class at all and I don't see how Alex Smith is an upgrade. I believe Kelly when he said that he'd adjust to the roster instead of trying to force his own system. I also agree with Wood, the Dixon thing is being overblown.

This is apparently the list of players traded for first-round picks straight up from 2000-2009. I guess that it is a few more than I expected. Still seems fairly dubious to me.2000 Keyshawn JohnsonNYJ/TB2000 Joey Galloway SEA/DAL2001 Trent Green STL/KC2001 Kevin Carter STL/TEN2002 Ricky Williams NO/MIA2002 Drew Bledsoe NE/BUF2003 Laveranues ColesNYJ/WAS2003 Peerless Price BUF/ATL2005 Randy Moss MIN/OAK2006 John Abraham NYJ/ATL2006 Deion Branch NE/SEA2008 Jared Allen KC/MIN2008 Roy Williams DET/DAL2009 Jay Cutler DEN/CHI2009 Jason Peters BUF/PHI2009 Richard Seymour NE/OAK
Of the 7 WR traded for 1st round picks none of the teams who gained a WR saw much impact from the trade. Most of these deals ended up hurting the team trading for the WR more than it helped them.
Didn't stop teams from continuously making them though.
Last time was Branch in 2006. Maybe teams have gotten smarter since then and 1st round picks are more valuable now than they were in 2010. But good luck moving a WR.
Roy Williams 2008 from Det to Dallas.

I don't think you can keep Foles even if they bring in Alex Smith or Dixon.... Smith and Dixon would run a completely different type of offense then Foles would.... You can't have such different styles in QB's... Say they get Smith and he becomes starter.... If he then gets hurt, you'd have to completely change the offense for Foles.. No way you can install two completely different types of packages for 2 separate guys..... Since we brought in Chip, you have to let him run his offense... We didn't bring him in to change his style to the NFL model.... I do like FOles, but he is the traditional square peg round hole type of enigma right now... Package him to Andy for swap of firsts take Joeckel and pick up another pick or 2 along the way.... I just can't see keeping 2 completely differnt style QB's with Chip Kelly's offense....
Foles is not going to get a swap of 1st rounders up to #1. Foles is a non entity in that kind of trade. A mere throw in worth no more than a 4th rounder in value. You'd have to give up a 2nd or 3rd plus maybe a 3rd or 4th from next year along with the swap to move up those 3 spots. Sounds crazy but that's the minimum especially with the new rookie contract structure. You won't get anything for Foles right now.

As I said a page or two ago, this Dennis Dixon thing is being overplayed IMHO. Signing him, if in fact we do, is not some indication that he's going to be a starter. To my mind it's analogous to when Jim Harbaugh acquired Josh Johnson for the 49ers roster. Johnson knew his system from college, was the kind of "teammate" he wanted, and served as a piece to help get the rest of the team onboard with Harbaugh's ways. That's what a Dixon signing would mean for the Eagles, it would give Chip a guy that could show everyone else how he does things and likes things to be done.
Exactly. He's a guy that can offer insight on what Kelly wants to do based on experience. If we did sign him, I wouldn't expect him to be here more than a year or 2.

I think it's more like they are looking to see if there's any value in a possible trade. I personally think there is none. I do think he would definitely get picked up if cut though so the $3mil deadline does seem less important now. There is a point where they will be on the hook for a full $15mil if he's still here. I think he'll be gone before then.

Foles is not going to get a swap of 1st rounders up to #1. Foles is a non entity in that kind of trade. A mere throw in worth no more than a 4th rounder in value. You'd have to give up a 2nd or 3rd plus maybe a 3rd or 4th from next year along with the swap to move up those 3 spots. Sounds crazy but that's the minimum especially with the new rookie contract structure. You won't get anything for Foles right now.
I know.... just wishful thinking... but I just can't see keeping two completely different style QB's... and I do like Foles, but don't think this is the place for him to continue to grow...

Nobody else wants him any more than we would. I think that's very possible. Only a few teams don't have something at QB, and most of those teams will get a rookie. He needs to have a good year as starter and then test the market. A lot of the teams that seemed like good fits are now ruled out. Buffalo fired Gailey. NY hired Mornhinweg and said they are not interested. ARI went with Arians who seems less likely than Whisenhunt to play desperate. OAK will get Palmer to restructure and give Pryor half a chance. Just not that many doors open ATM.From the Eagles standpoint, who is a better option? Dixon? Foles? Vick is a better bridge to the actual franchise QB. If he stays he's y-to-y and as soon as someone looks good enough, he's back to the bench/cut the next year
Not worth it on many different fronts. One is that Kelly is trying to build his offense here. Vick is going to be 33 at the start of the season. He's already injury prone and he's losing more than a step each year. Second is this ridiculous notion that Kelly's offense can ONLY run with a running QB. Kelly himself said that his offense is predicated on making quick decisive reads and not turning the ball over. Neither of those things sounds at all like Mike Vick. Third is the money. Vick will be due $15 mil this season. You can say he'll renegotiate but that means locking into Vick for another 2 to 3 years. Unless Kelly thinks Vick is his guy that he will win the Super Bowl with, why would he do that? Finally we have the negative publicity. Vick represents the failures of the end of the Reid era. Having him around is just a big, in your face reminder of everything that went wrong for the last 4 years. Does the front office really want to keep that around when they are trying to rebuild? I just don't see anyway Vick stays. He will be cut before free agency begins.

I know.... just wishful thinking... but I just can't see keeping two completely different style QB's... and I do like Foles, but don't think this is the place for him to continue to grow...
With this season being a transition year and the understanding that Lurie will most likely give Kelly the full 5 years to make his philosophy work, you let Foles play this year out. Foles will do one of 3 things. He'll earn his right to be a starter by playing extremely well. He'll play well enough for a team in flux to create a value of a 2nd or 3rd round pick in a trade. He'll play bad enough to net us a top 5 pick again to get the QB Kelly wants next year. He's also very cheap this year so there's almost no risk involved.

@dannyoneil: On @710ESPNSeattle, @ClaytonESPN just told us that he expects QB Michael Vick to be released on Wednesday by the #Eagles.

'Bigboy10182000 said:
@dannyoneil: On @710ESPNSeattle, @ClaytonESPN just told us that he expects QB Michael Vick to be released on Wednesday by the #Eagles.
Still not a done deal but...
I still feel Vick is gone. A combination of money and health are going to make it very easy to cut him before Feb 6th. The quotes from Kelly on Foles from 2011 lead me to believe he's going to try it with Foles at least for 1 year. Then if it doesn't work, he'll see what's out there. I personally think Foles can do it. He's not mobile but he's shown this year at least he can move in the pocket and understands where the pressure is coming from. He's really smart when it comes to the playbook, so I have no doubt he can learn Kelly's offense. His arm is big despite the few off deep throws we've seen. I like his potential in this style of offense.

I think Foles can be a good QB in this league with the right coach. I'm hoping Kelly can be it.

@Jeff_McLane: RT @LarryHolder: #Saints will interview Georgia DC Todd Grantham on Thursday and former #Cowboys DC Rob Ryan on Friday.

Hey guys, so this might be complete BS but tonight I was standing in line at the Loew's in South Philly and managed to strike up a conversation with someone who appears to be on the new staff. Wether he was a coach or scout or something else, I have no idea but myself and the paint counter guy had quite the chat with this fella. Maybe he was putting me on but let me lay out what he said to see if any of this comes to pass:1) Vick is gone Monday2) They are going to offer San Fran Jackson for Alex Smith. Kelly wants a bunch of Reid's guys purged and this man referred to Jackson as a "piece of ####" and that fans might be surprised how many big name guys are going to be jettisoned. He also said that Jackson was one of many that Reid "baby sat."3) Philly will "Love Kelly and that they will be 10-6 next year and after that a dynasty."Guys, I'm not making this up. Maybe he was some kinda actor who knows? But I'm pretty sure he was legit and e joyed talking to a couple regular fans that actually could articulate well (if I do say so myself). Of course it helped that I gushed over Kelly. Anyway, there ya have it. If the Jackson for Smith thing comes to pass than I'll know the conversation was legit.ETA: guy said Foles, "Wasn't our guy." Take that for what it's worth...
Guess not then? Thank goodness.

So what's the consensus on the DC situation? Have the Eagles been biding their time until one of the coveted Super Bowl defensive assistants was available to interview? Or did they have Todd Grantham (or someone similar) in their sights all along, just waiting for the passage of National Signing Day?

From La Canfora, who I don't trust, but still worth posting:

In regards to that Grantham interview wi/ Saints, I continue to hear the Georgia DC could end up with the Eagles. Chip Kelly thinks highly

From La Canfora, who I don't trust, but still worth posting:

In regards to that Grantham interview wi/ Saints, I continue to hear the Georgia DC could end up with the Eagles. Chip Kelly thinks highly
Apparently the Saints are going with Ryan. But then again, so were the Rams.
Just as long as we don't end up with Ryan, I'm happy. Not too familiar with Grantham, but from what I've read and heard he seems like a good candidate.

There is a provision in the contract that puts the Eagles on the hook for the $3 million only if he does not make that amount next season with another team. Vick will almost certainly find work next season and for at least $3 million, making the “deadline” pretty irrelevant.

'Insein said:
Not worth it on many different fronts. One is that Kelly is trying to build his offense here. Second is this ridiculous notion that Kelly's offense can ONLY run with a running QB.
If he's trying to eventually build an offense around a Colin Kaepernick/Darron Thomas type player, why waste a year or two on Foles? Why not put the blocking schemes and reps into what you eventually want to win with. Essentially you could say SF provides the blueprint, so I would agree it's possible, but I don't think you can bet on repeating that success. There's already rumblings of signing Dixon. If we assume Foles is out (not a safe assumption, but let's assume) would you rather have Dixon or Vick start?
Kelly himself said that his offense is predicated on making quick decisive reads and not turning the ball over. Neither of those things sounds at all like Mike Vick.
Maybe the offense is more like the ATL Vick offense. I realize and agree Vick isn't the same athlete both due to age and injury accumulation. But to use the Reid history against him is wrong IMO. Reid made him do long division. That doesn't mean he can't add.
Vick will be due $15 mil this season. You can say he'll renegotiate but that means locking into Vick for another 2 to 3 years.
That's legitimate for sure. I trust the FO to make a wise financial move more than a wise personnel move (even post-Banner). The most likely reason Vick won't return is he won't take the terms offered.
Unless Kelly thinks Vick is his guy that he will win the Super Bowl with, why would he do that?
He would rather compete this year than go 3-13. The latter is a real possibility if we only have Foles/Dixon. Heck it is a possibility with Vick as well. He will not tie himself to Vick long term. It is a bridge to whatever guy they draft.I respect your view. Your reasons why to cut him are certainly legitimate. Just trying to provide a counter argument, because I don't think it is a slam dunk. He has no trade value, so I don't see any reason to draw it out til March unless keeping him was being seriously considered.

'Insein said:
Not worth it on many different fronts. One is that Kelly is trying to build his offense here.

Second is this ridiculous notion that Kelly's offense can ONLY run with a running QB.
If he's trying to eventually build an offense around a Colin Kaepernick/Darron Thomas type player, why waste a year or two on Foles? Why not put the blocking schemes and reps into what you eventually want to win with. Essentially you could say SF provides the blueprint, so I would agree it's possible, but I don't think you can bet on repeating that success. There's already rumblings of signing Dixon. If we assume Foles is out (not a safe assumption, but let's assume) would you rather have Dixon or Vick start?
Because it's not necessary. Just use SF as your exmaple. They didnt start running the read option until AFTER Kaepernick became the starter. It wasn't a necessity to get blocking schemes and reps.It's about winning and who gives you the best chance at that. You wouldnt be wasting any time of Foles is the one that gets the wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kelly himself said that his offense is predicated on making quick decisive reads and not turning the ball over. Neither of those things sounds at all like Mike Vick.
Maybe the offense is more like the ATL Vick offense. I realize and agree Vick isn't the same athlete both due to age and injury accumulation. But to use the Reid history against him is wrong IMO. Reid made him do long division. That doesn't mean he can't add.
I'm confused by your post here with the one above. If you're under the assumption that Kelly wants his offense then why are we talking about what Vick did in Atlanta? If Vick is here to run that offense it will be the read-option as well as a disaster. He can't stay healthy, he can't hold onto the ball, he can't read a D and he isnt going to get any faster and less injured with age.Reid COULDN'T have Vick do long division. He couldnt let him audible (but let Foles), he didnt let him call his own plays (but let Foles)...he didnt with Donovan either and he was cut from Washington with reports suggesting that he couldnt remember 2 plays. The signs are all there.

Some Foles perspective
He recorded the fifth-highest completion percentage ever by a rookie, the second-best interception ratio ever by a rookie and the third-highest passing total at 243 yards per game.
I never realized he did that well. Given the fact that he played without all but 2 offensive starters for a while I'd say he should get a long look at starter this coming year. :thumbup:

@LesBowen: @Ski__Monster @RoobCSN Passer rating for Alex Smith when he was rookie starter on 4-12 49ers in 2005: 40.8. Just keeping it in perspective.@RoobCSN: Foles one every 53 attempts. Alex Smith career one every 35 attempts, in 2012 every 43. RT @senordavereeves how many picks did he average?@RoobCSN: The point of all this isn't who had a better 2012, Foles or A. Smith, it's that Foles did enough to earn a chance to be Eagles' QB in 2013.

@RapSheet: #Saints contacted #49ers to attempt to interview 49ers DBs coach Ed Donatell for their DC job. He's under contract. #49ers blocked interview@RapSheet: Spoke with someone who talked to Ed Donatell: He's "extremely happy" with #49ers under Harbaugh, Fangio. No ill will. He'll have his chance

@Jeff_McLane: An update. MT @SethEmerson: 1) Grantham said several times he "fully expects" to be at Georgia. 2) never denied he will interview w/ Eagles.

@AlbertBreer: Eagles sign CFL DE/LB Chris McCoy, release LT Demetress Bell.@Jeff_McLane: The #Eagles just cleared about $9 million from their salary cap with the release of Bell, who was a terrible fit last season.

If you're under the assumption that Kelly wants his offense then why are we talking about what Vick did in Atlanta?
ATL in the 00s was closer to Oregon than Reid's WCO or U of A's shotgun.Your reasons for not liking Vick are warranted. Not saying otherwise. If you prefer Foles, that's fine. I'd prefer someone in the 2014 draft.

@AlbertBreer: Eagles sign CFL DE/LB Chris McCoy, release LT Demetress Bell.@Jeff_McLane: The #Eagles just cleared about $9 million from their salary cap with the release of Bell, who was a terrible fit last season.
@EliotShorrParks: Of the 90 offensive tackles @PFF ranks, Demetress Bell was ranked 88th. #Eagles

'thriftyrocker said:
'Bigboy10182000 said:
If you're under the assumption that Kelly wants his offense then why are we talking about what Vick did in Atlanta?
ATL in the 00s was closer to Oregon than Reid's WCO or U of A's shotgun.Your reasons for not liking Vick are warranted. Not saying otherwise. If you prefer Foles, that's fine. I'd prefer someone in the 2014 draft.
Which if we go with Foles, could lead us to getting someone in the 2014 draft. foles has 3 ways to go as I'm pretty sure I typed somewhere in this thread cause I've been posting it everywhere. 1. He becomes a stud in which case you are set at QB. 2. He plays well but doesn't quite fit Kelly's system. You at least built up trade value for him and can get a 2nd or 3rd back in a trade. You then go get the guy you want in next year's draft. 3. Foles is awful and the team wins only 3-6 games. We should be in prime position to get a top QB if that's the case and foles will either be the backup or just be gone. I don't see any downside to starting Foles this year because basically we're not winning the super bowl with this team.

@RapSheet: #Eagles tried to interview Todd Grantham at least twice in the last few weeks, but timing wasn't right with #NSD coming up. #Saints are up

2. He plays well but doesn't quite fit Kelly's system. You at least built up trade value for him and can get a 2nd or 3rd back in a trade. You then go get the guy you want in next year's draft.
Not saying this is likely, but if Reid (or Marty in NY) offered a 4th or 5th for Foles, would you rather take a 4th now, or hope you can get the 2nd later?

@caplannfl: They could have over $30 M of cap space on 3/12, so stay tuned. RT @TPirozzi: @caplannfl think the Eagles are proactive in free agency?

2. He plays well but doesn't quite fit Kelly's system. You at least built up trade value for him and can get a 2nd or 3rd back in a trade. You then go get the guy you want in next year's draft.
Not saying this is likely, but if Reid (or Marty in NY) offered a 4th or 5th for Foles, would you rather take a 4th now, or hope you can get the 2nd later?
He was a 3rd just last year and played well. NO WAY you take a 4 or 5 now. No. Way. At worst, he doesn't fit your scheme and comes off the bench for 3 years.

He was a 3rd just last year and played well. NO WAY you take a 4 or 5 now. No. Way. At worst, he doesn't fit your scheme and comes off the bench for 3 years.
Exactly. He has more value to you as a player than the 4th or 5th rounder. He's a guy you can put on the field in 2013 and is a somewhat known entity. His cost is fixed and his potential is high. So you let him play and see if he can improve his value.

@caplannfl: They could have over $30 M of cap space on 3/12, so stay tuned. RT @TPirozzi: @caplannfl think the Eagles are proactive in free agency?
Some guy tried to argue with me on ESPN boards that the Eagles were $16mil OVER the cap. It said it on bleacherreport on Jan 15th. The link BR used to confirm that now says the Eagles are $6.5mil under as of Jan 30th, lol.As for Free Agency, they need to have a hard fast rule. No one over 27 years old. If we're getting guys, it needs to be for the long haul. There are two guys I see as solid targets. Jairus Byrd to me is a must. He's the best young safety available at 26 years old. He's an instant upgrade to the position and better than anything we'll get from the draft this year. He can help secure the back end and be a part of this team for 4 to 5 years. The next I like if they decide not to go OT with the #4 pick. Ryan Clady would have to be a must if they are deciding defense in the top of the draft. He's going to cost a lot (probably in the $11 to $14 mil per year area) but we need to upgrade the Oline either through the draft or FA. That's about it for me.

Exactly. He has more value to you as a player than the 4th or 5th rounder. He's a guy you can put on the field in 2013 and is a somewhat known entity. His cost is fixed and his potential is high. So you let him play and see if he can improve his value.
I'm more of a "you gotta tear it down to build it back up" philosophy. Backup QBs are cheap (Dixon), and I don't think his upside is that high (Schaub? And more likely Henne). Getting a 4th for a guy you got late 3rd who you don't really want anymore seems win/win to me. Assuming they don't really want him.

This Jairus Byrd pipe dream needs to end. He'll be franchised if he doesn't sign a long term deal. No way Buffalo lets one of the best safeties in the league walk.

This Jairus Byrd pipe dream needs to end. He'll be franchised if he doesn't sign a long term deal. No way Buffalo lets one of the best safeties in the league walk.
I don't see how Denver can let Clady walk either or Baltimore let Flacco walk. Just saying that if he makes it to FA, you HAVE to get him.

I'm more of a "you gotta tear it down to build it back up" philosophy. Backup QBs are cheap (Dixon), and I don't think his upside is that high (Schaub? And more likely Henne). Getting a 4th for a guy you got late 3rd who you don't really want anymore seems win/win to me. Assuming they don't really want him.
Foles is in a rookie contract for the next 3 years at least. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Cutting him doesn't really tear anything down. Keeping him doesn't deter you from building up. Keeping Vick does though. He needs to go.

Foles is in a rookie contract for the next 3 years at least. It doesn't get much cheaper than that. Cutting him doesn't really tear anything down. Keeping him doesn't deter you from building up. Keeping Vick does though. He needs to go.
To piggy back off of the above....assuming Chip gets a QB for his sustem you're still going to need a back-up QB in the event of an injury. Just look at Washington last year. They took RGIII then grabbed Cousins in round 4 and he filled in great when RGIII went down. I don't think they're in a hurry to trade him because he "doesnt fit their system"...if you're going to run your QB then you need a quality back-up.

Users who are viewing this thread